Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Was it? I understood that Point was an amazing skater right from the beginning. Can anyone even improve skating that much?

Enter Barb Underhill, the renowned power-skating coach.
"I don't think I'd be playing here if it wasn't for Barb," Point said.
Underhill worked with Point on footwork, ankle flexion, edge work and explosiveness.
"I don't have the prettiest stride, but I can get some speed and cut corners," Point said. "That gives me confidence that I can elude checks."

Reactions: Kalv

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Jeff Skinner is another guy who drastically improved his speed post draft. He was known as having great balance and edges going into the draft but not being at an ideal quickness for his size. He ended up becoming far more explosive and improved his top speed significantly after he was picked.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Underhill worked with Point on footwork, ankle flexion, edge work and explosiveness.
"I don't have the prettiest stride, but I can get some speed and cut corners," Point said. "That gives me confidence that I can elude checks."
I did not know that, pretty cool. Can we link this guy up with Tracey? :laugh:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Ankle flexion, and more specifically dorsiflexion, being the key area of improvement for guys that have limited range of ankle movement.

Reactions: Beckett

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Insert cute Spanish child saying “ why not both” the draft is full of magic scenarios you never know

Raymond at 6 then trade rakell + for the devils 7th or to buffalo for the 8th and draft holtz and pair them together with zegras = cup..... let me dream
That would be a huge +

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Ankle flexion, and more specifically dorsiflexion, being the key area of improvement for guys that have limited range of ankle movement.

If you have the ankle strength you can skip the top two laces and get a ton more mobility and speed as you're able to get lower to the ice and explode forward while your knees drop inwards. I'm amazed that anyone in the NHL would lace all the way up

Reactions: Trojans86

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Frolunda game is on. Raymond just scored on the PP in first period.

But overall I have not much to take from the game. Saw him in 2 shifts

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Jeff Skinner is another guy who drastically improved his speed post draft. He was known as having great balance and edges going into the draft but not being at an ideal quickness for his size. He ended up becoming far more explosive and improved his top speed significantly after he was picked.

He was a figure skater growing up, had amazing edge work but needed to improve straight line speed

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He was a figure skater growing up, had amazing edge work but needed to improve straight line speed

Yeah I remember around the draft it was commonly talked about that he was a figure skater but every scouting report said speed was a weakness. He seemed to do a great job at improving it.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If you have the ankle strength you can skip the top two laces and get a ton more mobility and speed as you're able to get lower to the ice and explode forward while your knees drop inwards. I'm amazed that anyone in the NHL would lace all the way up
I always find it funny when people are trying to get people to skate lower but have the laces to the top wrapped around the boot. Untying top two eyelets seems aggressive but probably great when you get used to it.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
That would be a huge +
Wouldn’t mind throwing our later first and second with him.
We need top end talent and unless ducks pull a pasta out of the end of the first we usually end up with depth forward’s which I would say we are pretty well stocked

unless they want to buy the whole bail of hay looking for the needle

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
So according to statistical analysis comparing the last 30 years of data, Rossi has the highest chance in this draft of becoming a star with an 82% probability.

I definitely want to draft Rossi over everyone now.

Here are the players we talk about the most chance to be a star:
Rossi 82%
Lafreniere 75%
Byfield 73%
Perfetti 58%
Jarvis 52%
Holtz 32%
Stutzle 27%
Quinn 27%
Lundell 23%
Drysdale 19%
Grans 11%
Sanderson 10%
Raymond 8%

Here is where the info is found.
Register

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So I was partially looking the Frolunda game yesterday and Raymond while being very fast, agile, and with skill, did not impress me whole that much. He certainly is a great prospect, but would like to see him being more involved defensively I guess. He lost some board battles as well.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
So according to statistical analysis comparing the last 30 years of data, Rossi has the highest chance in this draft of becoming a star with an 82% probability.

I definitely want to draft Rossi over everyone now.

Here are the players we talk about the most chance to be a star:
Rossi 82%
Lafreniere 75%
Byfield 73%
Perfetti 58%
Jarvis 52%
Holtz 32%
Stutzle 27%
Quinn 27%
Lundell 23%
Drysdale 19%
Grans 11%
Sanderson 10%
Raymond 8%

Here is where the info is found.
Register

I love Rossi but him being ahead of Laf and Byfield is ridiculous. Same with Jarvis being that high and Raymond and Sanderson being that low, doesn’t seem right.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I love Rossi but him being ahead of Laf and Byfield is ridiculous. Same with Jarvis being that high and Raymond and Sanderson being that low, doesn’t seem right.
Its statistics based on 30 years of data and takes everything into account grading the likelihood of becoming a star based on how they align compared to past star players. Raymond had a bad year, sanderson doesnt score many points which is very important for this and Jarvis is really good but he is short like Rossi so everyone ignores him.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
it's because stats like these are complete bullshit. just a bunch of random numbers put together next to a name. and that site that Rasp linked wants credit card info to look at their "data," yeah complete BS.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Its statistics based on 30 years of data and takes everything into account grading the likelihood of becoming a star based on how they align compared to past star players. Raymond had a bad year, sanderson doesnt score many points which is very important for this and Jarvis is really good but he is short like Rossi so everyone ignores him.

The rating of defensemen being based only on points generated is akin to winning the Norris award, where points matter the most. Helge Grans being rated between Drysdale and Sanderson is eye opening. That's like saying Shea Theodore is on the same level with a more offensive-minded Fowler and Lindholm. I loved Theodore knowing he's got amazing offense, but average to below average defense. If you watch Draft Dynasty's video scouting review of Grans, DD's defensive assessment of Grans made me cringe because I thought he was sound defensively with good offense. When DD shares the video support of Grans' flaws, then Grans game reminds me of Theodore. I wouldn't want Theo out in the last minutes of the game when we're preserving a lead.

I like the study as it has 30 years of data, but it's a generalization. A guy, Meers, did something similar many years ago with the NFL draft using Career Approximate Value (CAV) being attached to draft selection. The further away you are from the 1st overall pick, then the less likely that player will succeed. With the NHL, there's a different twist as defensemen and goalies can be drafted lower, but can produce at elite levels because development takes longer for those players. Aside from that, this study is a higher version of what other scouting media do when they give player comps to the draft prospects. Just gotta remember it's a projection, and not a definitive future.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I have Rossi and Raymond ranked the same. There are multiple lists that have Rossi in top 3.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I hope he goes to Kings I don't think he will be a superstar because of his lack of offensive awareness, a lot of his points are in transition and I don't see him being able to score like that unless your name is McDavid or MacKinnon. He is big but he doesn't scare you physically although he does have a long reach.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Who I want

Rossi
Raymond

Perfetti/Drysdale/Sanderson

Quinn
Holtz

the grouped players are really close

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul4587

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I hope he goes to Kings I don't think he will be a superstar because of his lack of offensive awareness, a lot of his points are in transition and I don't see him being able to score like that unless your name is McDavid or MacKinnon. He is big but he doesn't scare you physically although he does have a long reach.
Exactly my thoughts

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad