Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You don't necessarily have to have a great shot to be a great goal scorer. Pretty sure Giggy said Selanne had a muffin. I think you're just too focused on the "pure goal scorer" moniker Holtz seems to have. There are reasons other players are considered better prospects. If our scouts think Holtz is the best player at 6 that's fine, im just not a fan of how hed described a pure shooter.

If you've seen a plethora of videos of Holtz scoring goals, then you'd see he has scored in a variety of ways. If you watched the video scouting review of Holtz by Draft Dynasty, then you'd hear him say how Holtz is a better scorer because he can score stationary or moving. He just likes to score and he has the confidence to do it. I'm focused on a player who is a known finisher because we currently have a team that is lacking finishers, but do have some playmakers. I hope you understand that distinction.

Holtz is given a very bad report as a "sniper-only" prospect. Why? If you look at his stats, he does have a lot of assists to his goal scoring. Against men, he had 7 assists to his 9 goals. He has some playmaking skills, which makes him more than a one-trick-pony prospect. Also, DD stated he's well rounded in skating.

But if you watched DD's video review and cross it over with Holtz' improved ranking on some scouting media (Central Scouting from 4th to 2nd; Elite Prospects from 9th to 6th), then you have to wonder why isn't Holtz getting more love? When DD compared the play of Holtz with Raymond, he said Raymond looked very good early in the 2019-20 season. When both moved onto the SHL from juniors, Holtz adapted and Raymond did not. A big reason why Holtz adapted is probably due to high motor, which many publications have denoted, including DD.

The fact Holtz adapted to the men's game where Raymond struggled is what intrigued me. Then add in the fact that Holtz finished 5th in goal scoring on his team in only 35 games where the highest games played above him was 52 games. He's doing this starting the season as a 17-year old and those who scored equal or more than him are almost a decade or more older than Holtz (26 to 33 years of age). The likeliness of success at the NHL level is higher, IMO, with Holtz, despite Raymond possessing the uber natural gifted talent at almost everything.

DD sums up Holtz best with this quote (I'm paraphrasing), "because of his high motor skills, Holtz won't have as many bad games". This is in reference to taking shifts off as a goal scorer and Holtz doesn't, according to DD in watching him in 10 games.

I wished more people would just watch DD's videos than project and guess what I'm trying to share. DD changed my mind from wanting RHD Drysdale to Holtz. DD also change my enthusiasm for D Grans, sadly. Of course, I did read up on a lot of other prospects, but Holtz proves at every level that he can score goals, that he can finish. That's a great track record and didn't come out of nowhere. Yet, it's the whole ensemble that Holtz brings to the table as described by DD is why I like him more than others as Holtz is doing this against men. Although it isn't NHL level, it's a big step above junior level. Holtz can reach is max potential and sooner because he did adapt against men. Why doesn't this resonate more, I don't know?

And with a recent check-in on his specific HF board, he's taller and bigger during the pre-season games. There's two video tweets of Holtz scoring a goal and getting a first assist. Seems like he's still progressing.

Remember, the Duck scouts like players who turn it on in the 2nd half of their draft season and Holtz shoes right in. If Raymond adapted like Holtz adapted to the SHL, then I think it's a consensus that Raymond goes 4th overall or higher. Yet, Raymond did not. That doesn't scare you a bit?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Also, the first round of the draft has been moved up a couple days to October 6th, which is a Tuesday, which is weird and kind of sucks.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I could see the ducks pursuing Reichel or Foerster with their second 1st round pick.

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Please don't draft Holtz just because we need a shooter, if we want a straight shooter then take this guy with our second pick

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
If the Kings draft Drysdale at #2, I swear. Currently we have a pretty-much zero chance at having Stutzle drop to us, but if that actually materializes, then who knows? It opens up the amusing possibility that Byfield might drop to the Red Wings at 4, too, if Ottawa likes Stutzle better.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
The Kings are not drafting Drysdale thats just a Red Wings group trying to start some shit. Drysdale is not a top 5 player in this draft let alone #2. He's arguably not even the best defensemen in the draft.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Drysdale going in the top 5 opens up a great chance that the Ducks get either Raymond or Perfetti.
Even though they are both playmakers, Raymond should be a 35 goal scorer in the NHL because of his wrist shot + speed + IQ, Perfetti could be a 30 goal scorer with his elite shot.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If Drysdale is gone at two that means we are guaranteed one of Stutzle (unlikely)/Raymond/Rossi. I’ll take one of those three in a heartbeat.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
If the Kings draft Drysdale at #2, I swear. Currently we have a pretty-much zero chance at having Stutzle drop to us, but if that actually materializes, then who knows? It opens up the amusing possibility that Byfield might drop to the Red Wings at 4, too, if Ottawa likes Stutzle better.

There’s no way Stuzle or Byfield drop below 5. Probably won’t drop that low either but no way they get past 5.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
There’s no way Stuzle or Byfield drop below 5. Probably won’t drop that low either but no way they get past 5.
I agree. It's a "definitely not" on Byfield, and a "almost 100% surely not" on Stutzle for me, since I can't see Ottawa especially passing on him twice. But if LA literally takes Drysdale at #2 then that could open up some instability in the top 5; it might not directly affect us in the way of one of Byfield/Stutzle dropping to 6, but it would definitely make that top 5 interesting.

EDIT: For a great example, Cole Perfetti (who has been rumored for a while to be Detroit's top target) might be available to us at 6 if LA chooses Drysdale at #2, because Detroit will have one of Byfield and Stutzle to choose from and I can't see them taking Perfetti over either, and at the same time Perfetti won't be a "can't-miss" value at 5 that basically obligates Ottawa to take him with their second pick.

I know we've been laser-focused on Raymond or Rossi, but Perfetti is very likely on the table in this situation.

Reactions: Duck Off

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Rather have both Raymond and Rossi over Perfetti but if we picked him I wouldn't be mad, I think Perfetti is more of a 7-9 player unless you fall in love with him.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I agree. It's a "definitely not" on Byfield, and a "almost 100% surely not" on Stutzle for me, since I can't see Ottawa especially passing on him twice. But if LA literally takes Drysdale at #2 then that could open up some instability in the top 5; it might not directly affect us in the way of one of Byfield/Stutzle dropping to 6, but it would definitely make that top 5 interesting.

EDIT: For a great example, Cole Perfetti (who has been rumored for a while to be Detroit's top target) might be available to us at 6 if LA chooses Drysdale at #2, because Detroit will have one of Byfield and Stutzle to choose from and I can't see them taking Perfetti over either, and at the same time Perfetti won't be a "can't-miss" value at 5 that basically obligates Ottawa to take him with their second pick.

I know we've been laser-focused on Raymond or Rossi, but Perfetti is very likely on the table in this situation.

sorry bro. Not trying to kill your dream.

im hoping for Rossi or Perfetti. I’d be thrilled with either. Still think we take a Sanderson or maybe Drysdale If he’s there at 6.

Reactions: eternalbedhead

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

This guy is future captain material, plays similar to Crosby/Point grinder with extreme skill, I hope we can get him. He is so underrated because of his size but his legs are so damn strong like Marchand/Crosby. He takes training serious and is probably the most dedicated players in the entire draft.

To have Zegras be our electrifying offensive playmaker and Rossi has our 2 way defensive playmaker we would just need a big center as a 3rd line center and we would be great.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I see more Marchand than Point in him.
Point is a speed demon and one of thee fastest skaters in the game.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Point skating was on par with Rossi pre-draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad