Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I hope he goes to Kings I don't think he will be a superstar because of his lack of offensive awareness, a lot of his points are in transition and I don't see him being able to score like that unless your name is McDavid or MacKinnon. He is big but he doesn't scare you physically although he does have a long reach.

I've read several scouting identifying just how young Byfield is when compared to Lafreniere.

LaFrienere is born on Oct 11, 2001. He is currently 18 years old, will be 19 years old in one month.
Byfield is born on Aug 19, 2002. He is currently 18 years old, just turned 18 last month.​

There's a lot of projection for Byfield because his physical and mental are about year behind Lafreniere.

2018-19 Laf: 105 pts in 61 games is 1.72 points per game.

2019-20 Laf: 112 pts in 52 games is 2.15 points per game.
2019-20 Byf: 82 pts in 52 games is 1.82 points per game.​

If we're to use stats compared to similar age production, then Byfield's 2019-20 season is comparable to Lafreniere's 2018-19 season. He can accelerate fast and has high top-end speed. He can score (like you said, mostly in transition) and has playmaking abilities. The three points of concern for Byfield are his agility in his skating, show more scoring ability aside from transition, and playing more physical. I watched DD's video scouting of him and DD identified that playing in the OHL is the reason why Byfield gets so many goals in transition, but he struggled in international play against teams that do play tighter and better defense. That physicality is missing from his mindset. It's as if he's playing like a smaller offensive player despite his huge frame. And he might be cause he's still young. Yet, I don't know if he can get that mean streak in him. DD denoted how smaller players are more physical in play than Byfield in Laf and Marco Rossi.

The gamble is in the potential of Byfield and hoping he can develop that willingness to play physical. Yet potential can ooze elite play. Another prospect who falls into a similar situation is Lucas Raymond. Loads of elite skills across the board, but that physicality didn't show up and prevented him from adapting to playing against men in the SHL. Instead of being a known set talent slot in the draft, there are question on both in their respective situations. Will Byfield go 2nd or 3rd? Where will Raymond go, ranging from 5th to 9th.

::: raising shoulders ::: I think the Kings take Stutzle.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Regardless of whether he stays at Center, i see Rossi being a star, Martin St Louis was a playmaker winger who was only 5'8. Either scenario is good. There is also Gaudreau who's a winger playmaker thats small. Rossi dedication and hard work, makes me think he does whatever it takes to be a great NHLer.

Definitely won't want Terry on a line with Zegras or Rossi as thats alot of non shooting on one line. Rossi and Zegras will need someone who finishes.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Regardless of whether he stays at Center, i see Rossi being a star, Martin St Louis was a playmaker winger who was only 5'8. Either scenario is good. There is also Gaudreau who's a winger playmaker thats small. Rossi dedication and hard work, makes me think he does whatever it takes to be a great NHLer.

Definitely won't want Terry on a line with Zegras or Rossi as thats alot of non shooting on one line. Rossi and Zegras will need someone who finishes.

We keep identifying the same problem that Bob's been saying all along... "don't have someone who can finish."

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
A name popping up lately and rising is Ridly Greig, who could be had with either the 27th or 36th. He's in a similar boat with Byfield such that he's born in Aug of 2002. He's been scouted out at 5'11 and 162 pounds (EP has him at 180 lbs now). I watched a scouting video of him (DD) and he is tenacious! He plays much bigger than his size. So much fun to watch, actually. With him, there's a lot of hopeful projection and that you're drafting him a few years from now.

Just throwing around more possible prospects. I forgot which mock site I visited, but when we were projected to go 31st, Greig was our selection.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
A name popping up lately and rising is Ridly Greig, who could be had with either the 27th or 36th. He's in a similar boat with Byfield such that he's born in Aug of 2002. He's been scouted out at 5'11 and 162 pounds (EP has him at 180 lbs now). I watched a scouting video of him (DD) and he is tenacious! He plays much bigger than his size. So much fun to watch, actually. With him, there's a lot of hopeful projection and that you're drafting him a few years from now.

Just throwing around more possible prospects. I forgot which mock site I visited, but when we were projected to go 31st, Greig was our selection.
An interesting case for sure. He's intriguing, but could have a low ceiling after all. EP shows he will play in Sweden now?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Yeah I like Greig, seems like he'll work his way into being a useful player regardless of how high he can push his ceiling. Seems both tenacious and fairly smart, if teams feel he's just tipping the iceberg physically, he shouldn't probably even last until 27, but he may.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Murray love Bennett so it wouldn’t be surprising for him to be targeting Ridly with our 2nd first rounder. Both show high compete and questionable finishing. I’m sure Murray would hope he is more like Kesler.

Id still lean towards Khus or Ozzy, who have higher offensive upside and stronger skaters, who are just as tenacious. Or a more natural scorer like Reichel, but he sounds like someone going in the top 20 now.

We need to target high end offense. There are a lot of gritty/skilled forwards that we can pick in later rounds. How about Tullio?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
An interesting case for sure. He's intriguing, but could have a low ceiling after all. EP shows he will play in Sweden now?

Yeah, DD pointed this out when you do a quick take on him. But when DD continued to watch him, he saw all the other things that Greig brought to the ice. DD also notice the uptick in Greig's offensive production in his last six games or so, including shot attempts, iirc.

So it's a gamble to draft him. If you draft Greig based on what you see right now, then he's a mid-tier 2nd round to 3rd round prospect as a player who could possibly make the NHL in the bottom six. If you think Greig can become more into the future beyond what you see today, then his stock should rise. Because Greig is an Aug 2002 kid, he's about a year behind most of his peers being drafted. It's a huge gamble to draft him at the bottom of the first round.

I'll admit, it was fun watching videos of him taking players out with his legal hits. There was one hit that might be borderline suspendable, but the opposing player went low at the last second and Greig couldn't avoid hitting him hard to the head area. Here's a short, slim player who plays big. Can you imagine how adding more mass can help his physical game? DD denotes that mass can also help him generate more power to his shot too. Ridly's dad is 5'11 and 190 lbs. His uncle Bruce is 6'2 and 220 lbs. Ridly is already 5'11 and, in the video, he's 162 lbs (added about 20 lbs during the season because I saw his weight at 140's). EP has him at 180 lbs now.

We already have Max Jones to be that agitator, but Ridly seems to take that agitating to a higher notch. lol Having that type of player is a good piece of the puzzle for certain teams. We're a defense first team and if Ridly can induce some PP opportunities, then that would be great. But if his tenacity and defense are very high, then he would fit in well with the Ducks in preserving a lead. GM Murray loves 200 foot players too!

Talent rankings
Elite Prospects = 83
Future Considerations = 54
TSN/Button = 30
McKeen's Hockey = 24
Central Scouting, NA = 14
TSN/McKenzie = 24
Draft Dynasty has him 19th best prospect​

Draft site has him going 26th. MyNHLdraft has him going 37th. Tankathon has him going 28th. The Draft Analyst has him not in the 1st round.

Greig is a "swinging for the fence" type draft selection with the later 1st round pick. That ceiling may remain low today, but the upside is still unknown. But with quite a few of these rankings, it appears that Ridly's stock may continue to rise.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Seemed so far away when we first heard the draft was likely set for October but it's slowly creeping up.

Excited for this one, really hope we can look back at these past two drafts as big stepping stones to getting this franchise heading in the right direction.

Reactions: Kalv

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
How do people feel about trading the #27 for two 2nd rounders ? Then acquiring Toronto's #15 for Rakell or Manson or something.
I feel like Madden can find some good gems with 3 picks in the 2nd rounder.

Reactions: Sam Steel

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
How do people feel about trading the #27 for two 2nd rounders ? Then acquiring Toronto's #15 for Rakell or Manson or something.
I feel like Madden can find some good gems with 3 picks in the 2nd rounder.
Rather aim for 8-13 overall if were involving either of those two

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Seemed so far away when we first heard the draft was likely set for October but it's slowly creeping up.

Excited for this one, really hope we can look back at these past two drafts as big stepping stones to getting this franchise heading in the right direction.

Been waiting for the draft for months, waiting to find out what we get with our two firsts, only to see the draft scheduled on a Tuesday, 2 AM local time. **** you, NHL! :help:

I mean come on, was it really impossible to have it on the weekend? It's virtual anyway so there shouldn't be any logistics issues or anything...

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Oil own the 14th pick overall.

Oil draft picks for 2020 NHL draft
1st rd, 14th
5th rd, 137
6th rd, 168
7th rd, 199​

We can probably jump up to 14th by dangling the 27th and 36th pick in this deep draft because the Oil only have one draft pick in the 136 draft selections. In the 2019 draft, we had a trade in place if C Peyton Krebs fell to 18th with the package of the 29th and 39th picks overall. I just don't know who would be worth the 14th pick, though.

I'd rather stay and hope the following players are still there for the 27th and 36th picks: D Barron (safe, all around D), D Grans (think Theodore), F Reichel, F Peterka, and F Greig.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Been waiting for the draft for months, waiting to find out what we get with our two firsts, only to see the draft scheduled on a Tuesday, 2 AM local time. **** you, NHL! :help:

I mean come on, was it really impossible to have it on the weekend? It's virtual anyway so there shouldn't be any logistics issues or anything...
If Stanley Cup finals go all seven games, game 7 would be on Sunday, October 4th (at least according to Wikipedia). I guess they just wanted to have the draft and then open the free agency as soon as possible.

Edit: Apparently the schedule is subject to change, but I suppose they had to decide on the date of the draft now instead of waiting to see when the finals will actually start.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The Oil own the 14th pick overall.

Oil draft picks for 2020 NHL draft
1st rd, 14th
5th rd, 137
6th rd, 168
7th rd, 199​

We can probably jump up to 14th by dangling the 27th and 36th pick in this deep draft because the Oil only have one draft pick in the 136 draft selections. In the 2019 draft, we had a trade in place if C Peyton Krebs fell to 18th with the package of the 29th and 39th picks overall. I just don't know who would be worth the 14th pick, though.

I'd rather stay and hope the following players are still there for the 27th and 36th picks: D Barron (safe, all around D), D Grans (think Theodore), F Reichel, F Peterka, and F Greig.
They wouldn't accept that

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Thought exercise. If the ducks trade Rakell and get the 14th or 15th pick, would (and should) they draft Askarov is he were available?

I have been an advocate of keeping Gibson for the rebuild. But if the ducks do this, they can likely trade gibson for a big haul (Colorado and Toronto come to mind), maybe save some cap/$$ in the short term, and have a good option in net going forward.

They also could probably acquire additional assets from other teams looking to dump goalies (vegas, pittsburgh, carolina).

I doubt BM has the balls to do something like this and I suspect it would be unpopular with fans, but I've partly convinced myself this makes sense if they can get Askarov.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If the ducks trade gibson or Lindholm they can f*** off. We have plenty of other assets to trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCB
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Thought exercise. If the ducks trade Rakell and get the 14th or 15th pick, would (and should) they draft Askarov is he were available?

I have been an advocate of keeping Gibson for the rebuild. But if the ducks do this, they can likely trade gibson for a big haul (Colorado and Toronto come to mind), maybe save some cap/$$ in the short term, and have a good option in net going forward.

They also could probably acquire additional assets from other teams looking to dump goalies (vegas, pittsburgh, carolina).

I doubt BM has the balls to do something like this and I suspect it would be unpopular with fans, but I've partly convinced myself this makes sense if they can get Askarov.

I would LOVE to get Askarov, but it seems like people here have made up their own minds with everyone else. I feel like he will be a dark-horse type pick

If they really want to blow it all up, trade your main assets off (like the Senators), and embrace a full rebuild. The Sens were a laughing stock, but looks how many picks this year in a (so called) deep draft.

Last edited:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

Ive thought about a full rebuild for sure and we need to do it or we will be bottom feeders for the next decade. We can only do a hybrid rebuild if we had at least a handful of potential young talent and incoming top prospects learning from established veterans in a competitive environment. We just don’t have that legitimate young talent...

BM’s has been significantly underperforming in asset management the past 5 years and gave away too many big contracts that failed with career ending injuries, signed too many low risk low talent grinders. We also actually haven’t signed any quality free agents / prospects, and drafted any true stars even though many picks have made it to the NHL . None of our prospects appear to be locks as stars (hopefully Zegras) and we really haven’t done well in the 1st round since the Theodore selection. Add to it the fact that we have an unproven coach who might just be a temporary cheerleader for just another year before getting the axe.

Things could have been much different... imagine if we had Theo, Karlsson, signed a legitimate star player like Panarin... drafted higher risk/reward types like an Aho, or signed any college free agents even a Kerfoot?

Sadly, the full rebuild won’t happen... I actually hope we even tank worse next year to force the Samueli’s to make the GM change. We need new blood and I’m good with giving Madden a shot... hopefully he will be more open minded and willing to sign talent no matter where they come from.

Reactions: Dmang714

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ive thought about a full rebuild for sure and we need to do it or we will be bottom feeders for the next decade. We can only do a hybrid rebuild if we had at least a handful of potential young talent and incoming top prospects learning from established veterans in a competitive environment. We just don’t have that legitimate young talent...

BM’s has been significantly underperforming in asset management the past 5 years and gave away too many big contracts that failed with career ending injuries, signed too many low risk low talent grinders. We also actually haven’t signed any quality free agents / prospects, and drafted any true stars even though many picks have made it to the NHL . None of our prospects appear to be locks as stars (hopefully Zegras) and we really haven’t done well in the 1st round since the Theodore selection. Add to it the fact that we have an unproven coach who might just be a temporary cheerleader for just another year before getting the axe.

Things could have been much different... imagine if we had Theo, Karlsson, signed a legitimate star player like Panarin... drafted higher risk/reward types like an Aho, or signed any college free agents even a Kerfoot?

Sadly, the full rebuild won’t happen... I actually hope we even tank worse next year to force the Samueli’s to make the GM change. We need new blood and I’m good with giving Madden a shot... hopefully he will be more open minded and willing to sign talent no matter where they come from.
I'd like to see that happen. More high reward types and less quantity of 2nd line types. That would mean picking a DeBrincat over a Steel.
Still i'll call it a big success if Steel turns into a guy who averages between 45 and 55 points in 82 games per year considering where he was drafted in the first round.

Reactions: cheesymc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad