HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Drouin Suzuki Armia
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lehkonen Kotkaniemi Laine
Poehling Evans Byron
Weal

Chiarot Weber
Romanov Petry
Edmunson Kulak
Fleury

Price
Allen

Domi Mete Caufield 16th overall pick, 2nd round this year for Laine

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I have a weird feeling we will sign Bobby Ryan to a PTO and it will be Hensky/Streit all over again.

I think Ryan will be signed by a team before getting to the PTO but If he's still there I would't see any problem giving him a PTO. If it doesn't work you let him go and if he's a fit you keep him

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin Suzuki Armia
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lehkonen Kotkaniemi Laine
Poehling Evans Byron
Weal

Chiarot Weber
Romanov Petry
Edmunson Kulak
Fleury

Price
Allen

Domi Mete Caufield 16th overall pick, 2nd round this year for Laine

I'll do what others do... Laine playing "3rd line"? Gross :sarcasm: :laugh:.

Good job at that. I think you went all in with the Laine trade. Value is there for sure and might be too much. You don't think the Jets ask for Brook? Personally, I would not do Domi, Caufield, and 16th OA. They get one of Caufield or 16th OA. Then I add a 2nd and one of Fleury or Brook. They won't have interest in Mete IMO.

Regardless, I don't think they want Domi as their 2C solution so they will keep Laine in that case. Jets are testing the waters to see what pieces are offered by whatever team is interested. They want pry away value and they probably are looking for a 200' 2C and a RD stud. They have a year to decide if they want to pay him or trade him.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'll do what others do... Laine playing "3rd line"? Gross :sarcasm: :laugh:.

Good job at that. I think you went all in with the Laine trade. Value is there for sure and might be too much. You don't think the Jets ask for Brook? Personally, I would not do Domi, Caufield, and 16th OA. They get one of Caufield or 16th OA. Then I add a 2nd and one of Fleury or Brook. They won't have interest in Mete IMO.

Regardless, I don't think they want Domi as their 2C solution so they will keep Laine in that case. Jets are testing the waters to see what pieces are offered by whatever team is interested. They want pry away value and they probably are looking for a 200' 2C and a RD stud. They have a year to decide if they want to pay him or trade him.

Value for Laine got to be higher than patch though. Patch returned a 2nd, Tatar and a prospect i would say roughly equivalent to Caufield but playing a more valuable position. So Domi, Caufield and a 1st will pretty much be the value of Laine. I would make the 1st a 2021 protected first tough. This is a good draft this year and even if we draft late there will still be good players remaining.

Still believe people overrate Domi. As a winger he's, i would say, on the weak side. As a center he could become a fine 2nd line center but he'll never be that rock solid 200 foot 2nd line center most cup winning team aim at having in their lineup. He's en expendable player in my book.

I would do this trade with a 2021 protected pick. If we suck again this year it becomes a 2022 pick and if we suck again then we lose a great pick in 2022 but it also means MB's ingenious plan that nobody is bright enough to understand has not worked and therefor we have to reset anyway.

It's the kind of all in trades we have to make. Let's face reality we are not getting a 1st line center via a trade or the free agents market. We have to believe in Suzuki and JK and hope for the best. But we have to help them. We must avoid doing a Koivu 2.0 here. I don't hate Tatar, Gallagher, Drouin, Armia but man this is uber weak as a top 6 winger group.

We could hope for Caufield to develop but along with Suzuki, JK and Romanov that's a lot of hope and at one point if you hope too much you'll end up in disappointment land. Even if Caufield does develop he'll remain a very small winger in a team whose offense is already too small. Unless Caufield develops into a Martin St Louis i'm not sure he is what we need and is a good fit for this team.

Laine has some question marks but the skill and potential is A++. He already scored 40 goals once and has two 30 goals seasons (he would have a 3rd one without COVID). I think he'll mature into a perennial 30 goals player with occasional 40 goals seasons and maybe a 50 goals career season too. He would transform the potential of this team and would remove doubts. If Laine really is available we should be all in. But i'm afraid we'll end up with an old washed up Bobby Ryan instead.

Drouin-Suzuki-Laine
Tatar-JK-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Danault-Armia

This would be a more balanced lineup than what we currently have.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Value for Laine got to be higher than patch though. Patch returned a 2nd, Tatar and a prospect i would say roughly equivalent to Caufield but playing a more valuable position. So Domi, Caufield and a 1st will pretty much be the value of Laine. I would make the 1st a 2021 protected first tough. This is a good draft this year and even if we draft late there will still be good players remaining.

Still believe people overrate Domi. As a winger he's, i would say, on the weak side. As a center he could become a fine 2nd line center but he'll never be that rock solid 200 foot 2nd line center most cup winning team aim at having in their lineup. He's en expendable player in my book.

I would do this trade with a 2021 protected pick. If we suck again this year it becomes a 2022 pick and if we suck again then we lose a great pick in 2022 but it also means MB's ingenious plan that nobody is bright enough to understand has not worked and therefor we have to reset anyway.

It's the kind of all in trades we have to make. Let's face reality we are not getting a 1st line center via a trade or the free agents market. We have to believe in Suzuki and JK and hope for the best. But we have to help them. We must avoid doing a Koivu 2.0 here. I don't hate Tatar, Gallagher, Drouin, Armia but man this is uber weak as a top 6 winger group.

We could hope for Caufield to develop but along with Suzuki, JK and Romanov that's a lot of hope and at one point if you hope too much you'll end up in disappointment land. Even if Caufield does develop he'll remain a very small winger in a team whose offense is already too small. Unless Caufield develops into a Martin St Louis i'm not sure he is what we need and is a good fit for this team.

Laine has some question marks but the skill and potential is A++. He already scored 40 goals once and has two 30 goals seasons (he would have a 3rd one without COVID). I think he'll mature into a perennial 30 goals player with occasional 40 goals seasons and maybe a 50 goals career season too. He would transform the potential of this team and would remove doubts. If Laine really is available we should be all in. But i'm afraid we'll end up with an old washed up Bobby Ryan instead.

Drouin-Suzuki-Laine
Tatar-JK-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Danault-Armia

This would be a more balanced lineup than what we currently have.

1) Laine does have higher value than Patch but he's not worth a young Ovechkin. I have Laine's trade value set at 70-75 pts and 40 goals. Some are thinking he has 80-100 pts and 50 goals which is flawed. He's has a great shot but is not a line driver and he needs to play with talent. Laine's career stats are 66 pts and 37 goals.

2) Domi is not overrated. His offensive ability is not in question. His defensive commitment is. I have Domi's trade value set at 60 pts and 25 goals. His career stats are 55 pts and 18 goals. The issue with offering Domi, +, + is they are not after a Domi type center. So that idea falls through and is likely why Lebrun said we are out.

The issue is not the futures we can add. The issue is the prime piece... the proven NHL talent. They are after a 200' center and a RD solution. You have to offer them one solution and a young prospect. So we would have to do Danault, Caufield, Brook, and probably a 2nd. However, still problems cause Danault does not come with term. So then you got the sign/trade which is tricky.

I'd love to acquire Laine but I don't see him being moved this off season. Some GM would have to get very very aggressive. I can see Lou doing that... Pulock and Nelson. Why? He has cap troubles and has to sign Barzal, Pulock, and Toews. Pageau can replace Nelson at 2C and Dobson can replace Pulock... and they add Laine! Lou will try to move Laad, Boychuck, Leddy and some others but if he can't... then what?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
1) Laine does have higher value than Patch but he's not worth a young Ovechkin.

No but a young Ovechkin is worth more than Domi, Caufield and a middle of first round pick. Significantly more i would say.

I have Laine's trade value set at 70-75 pts and 40 goals.

I have Domi's trade value set at 60 pts and 25 goals.

This is more or less what Laine is right now in term of goal scoring abilities versus the best case scenario for Domi. I highly doubt Domi ever becomes a 25 goals guy. On a good day yes but not sustained he has not shows that so far in his career and is now 25. What makes you think 25 years old Domi will continue to progress but 22 years old Laine wont?

In career projection over 82 games

Laine 37 goals 66 points
Domi 18 goals 55 points

Youi basically have 22 years old Laine barely making any progress and 25 years old Domi making significant progress in term of goal scoring ability. It should be the other way around. The 22 years old is more likely to take the next step while the 25 years old is likely to be what you see is what you get.

This said i don't think either will take the next step. I think Laine will remain a 35 goals scorer with occasional 40 goals season and Domi will remain a 15-20 goals scorer. We need a 35 goals scoring winger way more than a 15-20 goal scoring 2nd line center not very good defensively (or a 15-20 goals scoring winger but nobody needs that anyway).

Last edited:
Reactions: salbutera

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No but a young Ovechkin is worth more than Domi, Caufield and a middle of first round pick. Significantly more i would say.

Sure. But Laine is not a young Ovechkin. There is quite a significant gap between these two at age 22. In Ovechkin's rookie season, he had 106 pts and 52 goals. Who was the next best talent on the Caps that year? Zubrus with 57 pts. Think about that then think about the talent Laine has played with?

- Laine after his 1st 4 seasons:
* 70-75 pts and 40 goals of trade value
* Career numbers from 18-21 is 66 pts and 37 goals

- Ovechkin after his 1st 4 seaons:
* 110+ pts and 55+ goals or trade value
* Career numbers from 18-21 is 107 pts and 55 goals

Regardless, Domi, +, +, won't work. Jets are not after Domi as their 2C solution. Not because he sucks but because they are after a more 200' type center to play behind Scheifele. Deal won't work if we try to use Domi. I've came to my senses on that. Value is not bad... team fit is not what they are looking for

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I have a weird feeling we will sign Bobby Ryan to a PTO and it will be Hensky/Streit all over again.

I hope we're not going to be the ones giving Bobby Ryan a PTO. That being said, I also don't expect Ryan to be as bad as Streit and Hemsky (you can add Semin and Plekanec circa 2 as well) were for us. He still has a 20 goals season UNDER THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES in him I think.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Jets are probably going to name drop KK/Suzuki and Bergevin hangs up the phone. The only other package that makes a bit of sense is Domi, 1st, Caufield, Romanov which I wouldn't do because it's way too expensive for us.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Jack Eichel supposedly wants out of Buffalo.

I'd offer Kotkaniemi, Domi, a 2nd rounder, Mete, Byron, and Alzner.

Wait -- could Jonathan Drouin count as a cap dump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad