HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Wife/GF drama?? I'm sure it happens everywhere in the NHL actually. It's just very hush hush.
What happened between Ms Hoffman and Ms Karlsson was between them.

It doesn't mean that whatever NHL city he goes too, Ms Hoffman is going to cyber bully player's wives.

Not to mention that there's more to that story than meets the eye. It's a childish dispute between players wives that went out of control.

Not sure how that's a reflection on the player.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
On the Hoffman gf drama, if MB wants to find out if that kind of behavior followed them to Florida, he can call his buddy Dale Tallon to ask if it was an issue the carried over to another team.

Well Dale isn’t bringing him back despite having cap space and Hoffman being the leading goal scorer.

Potential issues aside, Hoffman is non-existent defensively, which is not a trait coveted by Bergevin and Julien.

Reactions: PhysicX

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What happened between Ms Hoffman and Ms Karlsson was between them.

It doesn't mean that whatever NHL city he goes too, Ms Hoffman is going to cyber bully player's wives.

Not to mention that there's more to that story than meets the eye. It's a childish dispute between players wives that went out of control.

Not sure how that's a reflection on the player.

Not to mention, we live in very very sensitive times..

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Didn’t MB clearly say on the Marinaro interview there are no solutions to be found via UFA route?

“The move” whether it’s Plan A (bigger name player) or Plan B (Anderson type) or Plan F (Saad type) will be via the trade route at the draft next week IMO.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He said that the solution for a top 6 won't be on Free Agent this year

Not the type of narrative I heard. More like not probable that will happen. You are saying it with guarantee and that's not what he said. We have to be careful with taking things out of context cause free agency is not even here yet man.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
It really is unbelievable that Bergevin acted so quickly to use our cap space in the off-season of all off-seasons where cap space is going to be most important.

I still can't believe it happened.

What's worse is that he rushed to not only trade a third round pick (when it should havebeen St.Louis giving us one to take on that salary) but for a F***kin $4million back up goalie when this was the one year that the market was flooded with so many decent ones that could have been had for free and cheap. (Crawford, Holtby, Lundquist, Howard, Lehner, Anderson, Markstrom, Talbot, Khudobin, Miller, Elliot, Smith, Greiss,etc..) Are most of these at the end of their career - yes, but for one year, i'm pretty sure they would give the same output as Allen.

God i hate this moron.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not the type of narrative I heard. More like not probable that will happen. You are saying it with guarantee and that's not what he said. We have to be careful with taking things out of context cause free agency is not even here yet man.

Le DG déboulonne les rumeurs

« Quand tu regardes le marché des joueurs autonomes, il n’y a pas la description de ce type d’attaquant, un gros ailier qui peut marquer des buts. On retire donc cette option.

When you look at the free agent market, there is no description of this type of forward, a big winger who can score goals. We therefore withdraw this option.

Reactions: PhysicX

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Yes I guess Andrew Hammond and JG Pageau’s wives were also lying when they also called her out and saying they weren’t surprised.
Whatever happened there, I don't find it difficult to imagine a scenario where 3 women that are close would lie to destroy the reputation of another woman who's not part of the pack.

Wouldn’t be the first time in history something like this to happen.

Reactions: angusyoung

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well Dale isn’t bringing him back despite having cap space and Hoffman being the leading goal scorer.

Potential issues aside, Hoffman is non-existent defensively, which is not a trait coveted by Bergevin and Julien.

He isn't bringing Dadonov back either, so I guess he's a cancer too. :sarcasm:

Maybe Hoffman wants to leave Florida or Tallon doesn't want to give him the contract he deserves. UFAs leaving teams is pretty frequent, especially a team that doesn't have a lot of success like Florida.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Tallon is no longer there, though. It is Bill Zito.

My point was that Hoffman was there under Tallon. So he would be the one to seek out if you're looking to see if those problems followed them.

And Hoffman not going back to Florida could be the new GM looking to go a different direction. Or maybe he ends up staying there. Or maybe the new GM doesn't want to pay the money Hoffman might be looking for. Or maybe Hoffman doesn't want to stay there. Maybe the team tried to extend him, but he would rather hit the market. It could be different scenarios that could explain why he won't stay there.

Also, if the Habs are looking for goal scorers, they won't find any available who will also be defensively responsible. The teams that have players that can put the puck in the net AND be defensively aware don't generally move those guys.

I doubt Taylor Hall is that defensively responsible, too.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

He isn't bringing Dadonov back either, so I guess he's a cancer too. :sarcasm:

Maybe Hoffman wants to leave Florida or Tallon doesn't want to give him the contract he deserves. UFAs leaving teams is pretty frequent, especially a team that doesn't have a lot of success like Florida.

Do you guys know something I don't? I thought Tallon was out of Florida.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Tallon is no longer there, though. It is Bill Zito.

My point was that Hoffman was there under Tallon. So he would be the one to seek out if you're looking to see if those problems followed them.

And Hoffman not going back to Florida could be the new GM looking to go a different direction. Or maybe he ends up staying there. Or maybe the new GM doesn't want to pay the money Hoffman might be looking for. Or maybe Hoffman doesn't want to stay there. Maybe the team tried to extend him, but he would rather hit the market. It could be different scenarios that could explain why he won't stay there.

Also, if the Habs are looking for goal scorers, they won't find any available who will also be defensively responsible. The teams that have players that can put the puck in the net AND be defensively aware don't generally move those guys.

I doubt Taylor Hall is that defensively responsible, too.

A team with so much money tied up in goaltending and defence should be able to withstand a few goal scoring forwards who aren’t selke worthy imo. Otherwise what are you paying all that money to Price and the gang? They shouldn’t need 12 Danault types at forward.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
A team with so much money tied up in goaltending and defence should be able to withstand a few goal scoring forwards who aren’t selke worthy imo. Otherwise what are you paying all that money to Price and the gang? They shouldn’t need 12 Danault types at forward.

Exactly. And they have a good bunch of defensively responsible forwards he can play with. So go get a goal scorer even if he has defensive deficiencies.

Reactions: angusyoung

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Exactly. And they have a good bunch of defensively responsible forwards he can play with. So go get a goal scorer even if he has defensive deficiencies.

Taylor Hall is available for just cap hit. If they could go a few seasons several millions under the cap, they can put that money to use on him. They could actually in his case, considering his age offer him a 3 year deal in the $8-$9m range, which I doubt most teams could match with empty seats on the horizon, and then he gets another crack at free agency when presumably the cap goes up again. This team needs a dynamic offensive forward at wing that specifically can carry the puck into the attacking zone on the power play. He'd help this team a lot.

Would I go 6+ years on a contract? Probably not unless the cap hit was significantly lower, but I think the landscape this offseason is so much to the Habs' advantage that all Bergevin has to do is be smart. So far, not so good with his two urgent moves, but he can still very easily add offence to this team.

As others have mentioned Hoffman, Toffoli etc... could all help. I really don't care... just add an offensive winger.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Signing BG to an extension would be a terrible idea. This team couldn't win with BG, Tatar, Domi, Danault, Armia, all at under 5M , 4M, 3M or whatever. Now, bergein is talking about extending them with raises? Whaajoke.

No wonder this team is going nowhere. The Rangers were trending down faster than MTL. They announced publicly that they wanted to rebuild. Traded away a bunch of players including Mcdo. Now, they're trending up and surpassed MTL already. They'll buyout their HOF goalie and probably land Pietrangelo. In Habs land, the circle of mediocrity continues...yay whoppidy doo, 5'8 board-kissing, shooting -at- the- goalies -crest- no -matter -what Gallagher re-signed for 6M for 6 years at age 28:thumbu:

Reactions: lilmaxo

Jul 6, 2016
It really is unbelievable that Bergevin acted so quickly to use our cap space in the off-season of all off-seasons where cap space is going to be most important.

I still can't believe it happened.

You know why ? Because MB knows already that he cannot get the big UFA fishes. He signed two solid no-nonsense players that will help the team. He still has lots of money and assets to bring good players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad