HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I remember when this was discussed last week when he brought it up. I also remember other accountants and agents stated his information is somewhat flawed and that players who play in the States have a similar tax work around which they take advantage of as well.

It's been beaten to death and really the only people that can answer it is accountants in this specific field and certain employees of the CRA :)

Programs in the US work similarly, but both reduce the income tax concern. Programs like that are generally more beneficial for teams in higher tax jurisdictions. It flattens the playing field and makes things more equal.

The point is that the income tax disparities in the league are greatly overstated.

Reactions: Tighthead

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
ONE season, not seasons. It was his rookie year too, when defenders were learning his habits.

36 in 73 in his first that's a 40 goal pace in his rookie season , he scored 40+ in his sophomore season. This season he developed another asset of his game (his playmaking) and I'm not ready to say the league has figured him out and he's peaked as a 22 year old.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Our biggest need is on the wings, RW being the worst area.

After Gallagher and Armia, we have really no talent left.... Weal is a 4th liner at best!

I'd want to go after Dandonov as the UFA we need to sign

Move up in the draft with picks, prospects into the top 10 to go after Raymond or Holtz, Jarvis or Quinn.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well, there it is..

Bobby Ryan on a cheap contract to address 'size and scoring'

Wouldn't be against it if we didn't already have Armia. Would be disappointing if he is the one we put on 2RW. Although if he signs around 1 million he could fight Armia for 3/4RW and we could still sign another top6 RW.

Tatar - Suzuki - Gallagher
Drouin - KK/Danault - Dadonov/Hoffman/Toffoli/Rakell
Lehkonen/Byron - KK/Danault - Armia/Ryan
Lehkonen/Byron - Evans - Armia/Ryan
Weal
Call-up options: Belzile, Hudon or replacement, Blandisi or replacement, Poehling ( :sarcasm: )

That's deep.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
It's hopeless. It's what i've been saying for years. No impact free agent is gonna come here (not that there are any anyways outside of Pietrangelo and Hall) and no one is gonna trade us a young, gifted offensive player with size when everyone is looking for that, especially given how teams want younger players to save on the cap.

I'd rather this clown of a gm try to save his ammo and ues the excess picks and guys like Domi, Poehling or Lehks to add to our first rounder to move up in the draft.

I'd also wish he would simply rebuild and trade Price, Weber and Gallagher or use our cap space to take on a bad contract if we can get a top prospect out of it.

Sadly, that will never happen, so expect another 5 years of the same boring garbage team.

Last edited:
Reactions: mariolemieux66

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Programs in the US work similarly, but both reduce the income tax concern. Programs like that are generally more beneficial for teams in higher tax jurisdictions. It flattens the playing field and makes things more equal.

The point is that the income tax disparities in the league are greatly overstated.
The players and the majority of agents don't seem to agree with you. It is an issue otherwise there'd be no talk of it.

What can we do though

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The point is, the players and the majority of agents don't seem to agree with you. It is an issue otherwise there'd be no talk of it.

I don't particularly care if you believe me or not, but I can tell you that you're dead wrong if you think the players and the majority of agents don't seem to agree with me.

Hell, look at relative contracts of comparable players and it doesn't make much sense.

You want to complain about Montreal's inability to sign UFAs? Look at the teams consistent mediocrity, the insane media coverage, lack of access to certain products and the climate. Income Taxes are a vastly overstated reason.

Reactions: CHfan1 and Treb

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I don't particularly care if you believe me or not, but I can tell you that you're dead wrong if you think the players and the majority of agents don't seem to agree with me.

Hell, look at relative contracts of comparable players and it doesn't make much sense.

You want to complain about Montreal's inability to sign UFAs? Look at the teams consistent mediocrity, the insane media coverage, lack of access to certain products and the climate. Income Taxes are a vastly overstated reason.
Thanks for the chat

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

People are projecting their own hate of our provincial tax unto the players, not realizing it's far from the same game.

Reactions: Treb

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Are any of them 4th line plug that scores 2 goals?
In case of Drouin I'd rate him as even worse than a 4th line plug. My example was for illustration purposes only but sure...let's take it literally.
The point is that Bergevin in his 8 years failed to acquire any premium scoring talent - and no... I don't consider an of the names you mentioned as "premium scoring talent".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad