HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Is Burke frustrated on that like Bergevin cause Agents/Players try to take advantage of asking for more money due to taxes in Canada? :dunno:. If true, I guess NHL GM's can use Allan Walsh's tweets against him if his player tells him to ask for more money due to taxes. :sarcasm:
It’s likely that all players don’t shelter their money in the same way.

It could vary based on the state they live in, or the quality of advice, or how much they earn, or bonus structure.

In Rads’ case, perhaps he sends his money back to Russia or buys real estate.... who knows? It could have been a legitimate request from his perspective.

Reactions: calder candidate

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Patrik Laine just turned *checks notes*...22

22 years old that put up 40 goal seasons and just came off a strong season (where he demonstrated he isn't just a goal scorer) don't get traded unless a massive overpay.

This is the Covid cap era.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s likely that all players don’t shelter their money in the same way.

It could vary based on the state they live in, or the quality of advice, or how much they earn, or bonus structure.

In Rads’ case, perhaps he sends his money back to Russia or buys real estate.... who knows? It could have been a legitimate request from his perspective.

Agreed. That's my point... every player's situation is different in terms of whey their plans are. Short term and long term spending

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

22 years old that put up 40 goal seasons and just came off a strong season (where he demonstrated he isn't just a goal scorer) don't get traded unless a massive overpay.

He has one 40 goal season and his averages are 37 goals and 29 assist. He did focus on the 200' game this past year yes. But the value with Laine is his shot! Plain and simple. He is not a line driver and needs to play with talent at Center and PP in order to do what he does. Wheeler agrees with me on that.

I would pay a trade value of 70-75 pts and 40 goals. But not 80-100 pts and 50 goals. That's where I'm at with Laine. Does any team trade for him and give the Jets a young promising center like Suzuki? Doubt that. If they do, let them have Laine. If they don't, Jets will circle back if they are looking to move him cause of his next contract

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Danault or Domi, Chiarot, Mete or Juulsen, 1st, 2nd for Laine.

That's a great package. The Jets get assets, prospects, they fill up key roster positions, and they shed salary.

I doubt the Jets get a better offer, never mind substantially better.

Can Armia play LW? Because Armia-Kotkaniemi-Laine would be a line with size.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Danault or Domi, Chiarot, Mete or Juulsen, 1st, 2nd for Laine.

That's a great package. The Jets get assets, prospects, they fill up key roster positions, and they shed salary.

I doubt the Jets get a better offer, never mind substantially better.

Can Armia play LW? Because Armia-Kotkaniemi-Laine would be a line with size.

Not sure what it takes to get Laine but if they are indeed looking to move him cause they are afraid of his next contract and want a center, I do think the Habs can offer the best return. Jets fans can ask for Suzuki or Kotkaniemi all they want but no team is going to offer a young promising center already playing in the NHL. If they do, let them have Laine!

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

So glad an agent finally broadcasted this, I was tired of all the comments/opinion pieces made by people who had no idea what they were talking about.

To add, its not so much that funds can be invested as its expected that funds are invested by the custodian(s).

Its also not some sketchy tax avoidance scheme, its part of the Income Tax Act (Canada).

Reactions: Treb

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Tampa. I think Bergevin is waiting on them to finish their playoffs to inquire about a couple of guys there.

A quality player like Killorn can probably be had for a 2nd and a 3rd rounder. It would then open a potential scenario where Domi gets traded for an additional 1st round pick.

Reactions: Archijerej

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Tampa. I think Bergevin is waiting on them to finish their playoffs to inquire about a couple of guys there.

A quality player like Killorn can probably be had for a 2nd and a 3rd rounder. It would then open a potential scenario where Domi gets traded for an additional 1st round pick.
I'd be so in on Killorn. Love his style of play and he'd fit right in with what we're trying to do with the lineup, just not as the main piece for the off-season acquisition. Certainly brings a lot of what we need.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014

I remember when this was discussed last week when he brought it up. I also remember other accountants and agents stated his information is somewhat flawed and that players who play in the States have a similar tax work around which they take advantage of as well.

It's been beaten to death and really the only people that can answer it is accountants in this specific field and certain employees of the CRA :)

Reactions: OB5

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As of today until October 8th, the first buy-out window is open. We'll see if Habs buy out Alzner or if they hold onto him for at least one more year before buying him out next year.

If they buy him out this year:

2020-21: $666K cap savings
2021-22: $2.6M cap savings
2022-23: $833K counting up against the cap
2023-24: $833K counting up against the cap

If they hold onto him this year and buy him out next year:

2020-21: $1.075M cap savings if he is sent to Laval (counts for $4.625M if he plays in Montreal at some point).
2021-22: $2.3M cap savings
2022-23: $1.16M counting against the cap

Reactions: Holystik

OB5

May 2, 2015

I read a report that said the TB players who have NTCs aren't inclined to waive. Kind of moots the point of nabbing these complimentary TB players. Will be very interested to see how they pull this off.

I wouldn't be too keen on helping out TB either way. They can survive without Killorn and does he really put the Habs over the top?

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I read a report that said the TB players who have NTCs aren't inclined to waive. Kind of moots the point of nabbing these complimentary TB players. Will be very interested to see how they pull this off.

I wouldn't be too keen on helping out TB either way. They can survive without Killorn and does he really put the Habs over the top?

This is a bogus argument.

The only question you have to ask yourself is whether Killorn makes the Habs a better team, and whether he can be had for a price equal or under his actual value. The answer to both of those questions is yes.

As for one single player who can "put the Habs over the top" via trade, there are none. Nor are there any single player that can be had on any single particular team that could "put them over the top". It's a mix of getting the right mix of players together and having young guys improve to the point where they become those impact players.

As for helping our Tampa... they're trading a 25 goals scorer with some grit for assets that might never pan out as NHL players. I don't see how we're "helping them". At this point, just don't make any deal with any team in the league, because the moment you pull a move with another team, they feel like the trade helps them as well...

OB5

May 2, 2015
This is a bogus argument.

The only question you have to ask yourself is whether Killorn makes the Habs a better team, and whether he can be had for a price equal or under his actual value. The answer to both of those questions is yes.

As for one single player who can "put the Habs over the top" via trade, there are none. Nor are there any single player that can be had on any single particular team that could "put them over the top". It's a mix of getting the right mix of players together and having young guys improve to the point where they become those impact players.

Fair enough, and I guess you could say Killorn would be a good fit for what he brings to the table and the other factors you mentioned. He has a 16 team no trade, I wonder if he'd be open to playing for MTL. For some reason I always thought he was from Montreal but upon looking him up he's an NS kid.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Fair enough, and I guess you could say Killorn would be a good fit for what he brings to the table and the other factors you mentioned. He has a 16 team no trade, I wonder if he'd be open to playing for MTL. For some reason I always thought he was from Montreal but upon looking him up he's an NS kid.

Really? I thought he was from MTL as well.

Bah... Maritimes people actually are pretty big Habs fans as well for the major part.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

22 years old that put up 40 goal seasons
and just came off a strong season (where he demonstrated he isn't just a goal scorer) don't get traded unless a massive overpay.

ONE season, not seasons. It was his rookie year too, when defenders were learning his habits.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Bergevin ne serait pas dans le derby Laine

I mean why would he? It's not like Laine is a 4th line plug that scores 2 goals a season and good in the room. Sigh. This is why Habs will never EVER be anything other than mediocre under Bergevin.
I hate Bergevin.
Here comes another offseason of signing more Nate Thompsons and Nick Cousins.

Drouin, Tatar, Danault, Domi, Armia, Byron, Vanek, Shaw, Fleischmann...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad