2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The only players rumored to be available that I'd move that 10 OA for are Trouba (definitely not coming here) and Hanifin (probably not actually available). Wouldn't do it for any of the other defensemen rumored to be available (i.e. Subban, Ghost, Leddy, Brodie, etc).

I'm worried they'll do 10 OA for Ehlers or something like that.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
The only players rumored to be available that I'd move that 10 OA for are Trouba (definitely not coming here) and Hanifin (probably not actually available). Wouldn't do it for any of the other defensemen rumored to be available (i.e. Subban, Ghost, Leddy, Brodie, etc).

I'm worried they'll do 10 OA for Ehlers or something like that.
Why does this worry you? The highest pick benning has ever traded was a 2nd and he has stated 100’s of times that all picks are off the table. I could definitely see them moving down but he isn’t outright trading our first

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Why does this worry you? The highest pick benning has ever traded was a 2nd and he has stated 100’s of times that all picks are off the table. I could definitely see them moving down but he isn’t outright trading our first

Mostly due to the fact they have really no options. I won't be comfortable until they're up on the podium making the pick. Now they've shopped around what they view as trading assets (probably everyone not named Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Demko, and Hughes), and realized they are going to be hard pressed to fill the massive line-up holes, the next step is starting to consider moving draft picks again.

These are guys desperate for playoff success that don't have a lot bandwidth to improve the team. Any number of crazy ass things could happen.

Reactions: Jack Burton

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
For added context on the Custance rumour of the first being available, he did a piece on the likelihood of each team moving their first round pick(s).

Full quote on the Canucks is this:
There’s definitely a belief outside of Vancouver that this pick is very much in play and that GM Jim Benning is willing to deal. “There are players they would move the 10th pick for,” said one NHL executive. Vancouver is a team to watch on the draft floor.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Depending on the fan using your 1st rounder to get a name player (ex: Subban) could be just as popular for the home crowd as making the pick at #10. The HFBoards community is pretty exceptional in how closely they follow and prefer the kids being drafted.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I don’t believe he has ever stated “all picks are off the table.”

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It would be the most Canucks thing ever if, after needing a player like Gostisbehere since Ehrhoff left in 2011, we make a trade for him at the exact point where it’s idiotic to do so because Quinn Hughes is ready to step into that spot in the lineup.

Gostisbehere is really, really bad defensively. Like worse than Pouliot bad and was an ES liability last year. And there’s a reason they are looking at moving him. There is a place for a player like this in the lineup but there isn’t room for two.

Reactions: EP40

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It would be the most Canucks thing ever if, after needing a player like Gostisbehere since Ehrhoff left in 2011, we make a trade for him at the exact point where it’s idiotic to do so because Quinn Hughes is ready to step into that spot in the lineup.

Gostisbehere is really, really bad defensively. Like worse than Pouliot bad and was an ES liability last year. And there’s a reason they are looking at moving him. There is a place for a player like this in the lineup but there isn’t room for two.

Gostisbehere-Myers
Hughes-Zaitsev
Hutton-Stecher

I like, I like a lot. Keep in mind I’m still very firmly on team tank, so there’s a good reason for me to like this a lot.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I don’t believe he has ever stated “all picks are off the table.”
He has many many times. “The draft is in Van so we won’t be trading any picks” the fact that it takes the draft in Van to not trade picks is incredibly stupid but that’s another story

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He has many many times. “The draft is in Van so we won’t be trading any picks” the fact that it takes the draft in Van to not trade picks is incredibly stupid but that’s another story

Haven’t seen that, which is odd cause i’d love to see it.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Subban is 30 and is a locker room personality that rubs people the wrong way. It's not that he's a cancer as much as he just always has to be the centre of attention. It wears thin

Nashville has an embarrassment of riches on D so it's an option
His personality doesn’t bother me. We had f***ing Ryan Kesler for years! If his personality never bothered you, why would PK?
Imho Subban’s on ice presence is still quite solid as his performance.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Gostisbehere-Myers
Hughes-Zaitsev
Hutton-Stecher

I like, I like a lot. Keep in mind I’m still very firmly on team tank, so there’s a good reason for me to like this a lot.
My gawd!!!! Being tied to this defence for 5-7 years would put the Canucks in the running with the Coilers of the last two decades. This could easily ruin any #1 overall pick the Canucks might some how be bad enough to fall assbackwards into

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Drafting at 10 is an interesting spot because it's basically the breaking point where the value of the pick starts to really lag behind the perceived value.

I would probably trade it, but then I want to draft Kaliyev anyway, so

Last edited:
Reactions: MS and Josepho

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
His personality doesn’t bother me. We had ****ing Ryan Kesler for years! If his personality never bothered you, why would PK?
Imho Subban’s on ice presence is still quite solid as his performance.
Love watching PK play, but there is something about the guy that seems to rub his team the wrong way. Ryan Kessler was not at all like PK, IMO.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

Has benning ever said one thing in public and then done another?

Are there reputable sources saying that the pick could be moved?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Lucic attempted trade.
Subban trade for #5 OA.

He might not have succeeded but he's tried and with a better pick than #10.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Was also heavily rumoured to be shopping last year’s pick in a potential Hanifin deal.
Also getting completely f*cked over by Jim Nill regarding Hams....he goes straight back the following year and tries to move up and get the Dallas pick.

Hang on folks as Benning is a complete mark and is looking to make a "big Splash" because the draft is here in Vancouver.

Nothing will be off limits with this GM and a owner whispering in his ear.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Also getting completely f*cked over by Jim Nill regarding Hams....he goes straight back the following year and tries to move up and get the Dallas pick.

Hang on folks as Benning is a complete mark and is looking to make a "big Splash" because the draft is here in Vancouver.

Nothing will be off limits with this GM and a owner whispering in his ear.
I’m okay with JB, but our owner is definitely worrisome. Hopefully with JB on the last year of his contract, and wanting another job in the NHL done day, he will not be pressured by the owner into making a stupid move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad