2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I'm almost more worried about Zaitsev than signing another bad contract.

We've already been mentioned multiple times in the Zaitsev rumours, probably more than any other team. I could see Benning circling back on Zaitsev if they can't get anything else done.
The biggest problem here is the Toronto Shills TSN/Sportsnet have been championing this guy as actually having value! Which we’ve seen influence Benning’s decision making before. Like those articles before signing Eriksson about getting something out of the last years of the Sedins.
Zaitsev is Gudbranson levels of bad on the ice and is paid for 5 more seasons at a higher salary than Gud even.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yeah...is neutrality the logical course now though? This thinking kills me. That no matter how many times Benning ****s up basic managerial tasks he's always entitled to be judged as though every transaction he makes is the first one ever and has no precedent. Like the current situation with Edler. Oh, he's holding firm and that's the right course, is it? Uh-huh. Let's see...by any chance has Benning had to deal with a potential UFA dman with an NTC? Why, yes he has! How did that wind up? I mean, I mention this in the speculation threads and I've suddenly got half a dozen people talking like they sit down with Edler every day and he told them that of course there's no way he'd ever waive his NTC and rent an apartment in another city and skype with his family for a couple of months because Swedes and family values and all that. Suddenly Edler became the only Swedish professional athlete with a family and an NTC in the history of time. The fact that Benning didn't learn a damn thing from his handling of Hamhuis just vanished. And it's just over and over and over.

And the team still sucks.

You're preaching to the choir about NTC subversion.

Anyway, what I mean by neutrality is the talk at the margins. When the information stops and you have to infer, what do you do? You can judge a deal in isolation, or drag Benning's entire history into it. I know that I've done the latter on more than one occasion. However, I also try to give him his due... as infrequent as that may happen.

He's doing the right thing with Edler now. He screwed up all the way through, but he's doing the right thing now. Can we not say so?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You're preaching to the choir about NTC subversion.

Anyway, what I mean by neutrality is the talk at the margins. When the information stops and you have to infer, what do you do? You can judge a deal in isolation, or drag Benning's entire history into it. I know that I've done the latter on more than one occasion. However, I also try to give him his due... as infrequent as that may happen.

He's doing the right thing with Edler now. He screwed up all the way through, but he's doing the right thing now. Can we not say so?

I dont know.

Seems like we are about to lose yet another asset for nothing. This is a consistent theme with this management and is the main reason we have no tradeable pieces in the entire organization.

He should have played hard ball at the trade deadline.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I dont know.

Seems like we are about to lose yet another asset for nothing. This is a consistent theme with this management and is the main reason we have no tradeable pieces in the entire organization.

He should have played hard ball at the trade deadline.

Playing hardball with a player who has spent his last 12+ years here and sure-fire future ring of honour member is not something this organization should do.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Playing hardball with a player who has spent his last 12+ years here and sure-fire future ring of honour member is not something this organization should do.

The sad thing is we could sign Edler to an expensive 3 year contract with a No Move Clause and it will probably end up being best signing this off season.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Cause we’d rather be nice than win a Cup.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Really hoping JB can be patient during FA. There’s going to be several teams in cap trouble so would much rather wait it out and then swoop in to possibly get a player a at a cheaper rate (ie desperate times call for desperate measures for our opposition). We’ve been down the Loui eriksson route of overpaying in FA!!

Love

Feb 29, 2012
My 3rd cousin once removed said he saw Tyler Myers at a steakhouse with Francesco finalizing the purchase of Marian Gaborik’s house in Vancouver.

Reactions: Carnal

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Yes it is.

We dont need to be the nicest place to retire in the NHL, we need to win a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: EP40

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes it is.

We dont need to be the nicest place to retire in the NHL, we need to win a Stanley Cup.
The market will dictate which side needs to come off their position if a deal with Vancouver is to be made. Canucks don't feel that another team would offer ED protection, which is the key point of what Edler wants. Either another team will or they will not. Find out after the window period ends.

As for these persistent Lucic rumours, he's still owed an average of $4 million per after the July SB. LA owed Phaneuf cash of $9 million total of his $12 million due because Ottawa was retaining 25%. With a NMC, LA ended up buying Phaneuf out. LA either could not find another taker or were not prepared to give assets away to get rid of him. Even to the point of retaining the contract to reduce the assets going out. Keep that in mind with Lucic. There is really not much of a market for taking on bad contracts. AZ is getting a new owner and due to them extending players are already at $74 million against the cap. NJ has to make moves to add to their team because Hall is a Free Agent next summer and has indicated that he wants to win with only 1 playoff appearance in his 9 year career so far. FLA just signed Q as coach and are big game hunting this summer. These were your typical landing spots for cap dumps like Savard, Pronger, Bolland, etc. in the past.

As for Eriksson, didn't catch the JP Barry interview on SN650 on Friday. From the sounds of it, he said it would be in the best interests of both sides for Loui to move on. Fine. But, he should not expect the Canucks to bend over to move his client to another NHL team. Think the Canucks would retain on his contract if they only needed to send a 5th round pick to another team. They can't afford to send a 2nd round pick to have no retention. Can't sell that to the fanbase. The AHL should be legit option for the Canucks. This is what happens when contracts are structured to be buyout proof. If it's not worth it for the team to buy the guy out, and for the Canucks, they would still owe him $12/$13 million remaining and would need to eat $14.65 million in dead cap over the next 3 years versus the $18 million they would have to take anyways with him on the roster. Or they keep him in the A and have the same amount of dead cap and are still paying someone else to take his roster spot. Either way, it costs them the same amount of money. Keep him in the A and recall him if necessary.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
One thing to remember about Gostisbehere is that he may be a left shot but he can play the right side.
Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Sautner(Cheap UFA)-Gostisbehere

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
According to Craig Custance from The Athletic: the Vancouver Canucks first round pick is definitely in play, and there are players that Benning would move the 10th overall pick for.

Oh boy. :facepalm:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
According to Craig Custance from The Athletic: the Vancouver Canucks first round pick is definitely in play, and there are players that Benning would move the 10th overall pick for.

I'd move it too. For a top-pairing defenseman on an entry-level deal.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Craig is out to lunch. No way we are hosting the draft without a first round pick

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

I'm not surprised. I mean, I thought this "news" was already out there.

Benning is looking into every option to see if he can improve this team, AS HE SHOULD BE.

Other than the firing of Benning, is there a rumour/speculation that would be considered a good move? Doesn't seem like there is one

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Benning is looking into every option to see if he can improve this team, AS HE SHOULD BE.

Other than the firing of Benning, is there a rumour/speculation that would be considered a good move? Doesn't seem like there is one

Given the disparity in results between the Canucks amateur scouting and our pro scouting over the past 5 years, I don’t see how this avenue can possibly be viewed as good news.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC

Trading down for more picks would be a good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad