2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
Owner/optometrist at image optical on kingsway apparently.
Is that the one in Kingsgate mall? I got my prescription sunglasses there. Good prices, the guy likes Rolling Rock beer - odd choice.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Without getting into the legitimacy of the rumor, if it was just a couple of the players grabbing a meal with Karlsson, no big deal. If ownership was there or any management, that changes things.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Without getting into the legitimacy of the rumor, if it was just a couple of the players grabbing a meal with Karlsson, no big deal. If ownership was there or any management, that changes things.
Didn’t say anything about management but it did about ownership.

Aquilini did take Evander Kane out for dinner when he was an RFA.

I still don’t believe the Karlsson thing but Frankie loves his dinners.

Anyone looking for time to kill and want to read a great story, go search up how Francesco tried to have dinner with Tom Brady

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Seriously? You find people posting annoyingly here on the same level as the GM of your favourite team consistently screwing up trades and signings?

I've read an anti Benning poster here arrogantly boasting about how he's always right, which is annoying I suppose. But I'd rather put up with that all day if we had a GM who was even just 50% in his trades and signings.

Am I out to lunch on this?

You’ve swayed me - put that way, no, I find Benning’s failures far more annoying.

But the other option still annoys me as well.

Reactions: The Drop and Carnal

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Very well said.

I think, however, that MC is right in that there is a choice, at the margins, to lean one way or the other. That in those circumstances, bias can show through when neutrality would be the logical course.

Like you, I hate Benning's work on the whole. That said, on the few occasions he does something good, as in holding firm on the Edler situation, I credit him. Those occurrences are few and far between, but they're there.

Anyways, this is commentary on the minority opinion. The majority of posters can recognize a sound argument when it is made.

That was the crux of what I was trying to say, but I think I articulated it poorly.

Also - it works the other way, too (ie - there are folks who reflexively praise anything he does, good or bad)

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Any interest in Brandon tanev? Love him as a player. Fast and tenacious. Probably looking for 3 plus mill tho ..

Maybe if we hadn’t blown our loads on rousell and Beagle

Yeah but Beagle specifically. Roussel contract is fine I actually think he’s a good player.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'm almost more worried about Zaitsev than signing another bad contract.

We've already been mentioned multiple times in the Zaitsev rumours, probably more than any other team. I could see Benning circling back on Zaitsev if they can't get anything else done.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Complete crap. When Benning actually does something objectively good, it is almost universally applauded. Can you remember the thread for the Burrows trade? How about the Hansen trade? Even if the returns have ended up being nothing special down the road, Benning was actually doing something sensible: trading older, declining vets for young players.

We're just getting really sick of "But Pettersson! But Boeser!" every time Benning's name is mentioned. By now there's a large enough body of work that demonstrates there's a lot more bad than good with this guy. We're long past the point of taking individual deals or players in isolation.

BUT GILLIS!!!

And but Pettersson! and Boeser too!

Reactions: geebaan

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm almost more worried about Zaitsev than signing another bad contract.

We've already been mentioned multiple times in the Zaitsev rumours, probably more than any other team. I could see Benning circling back on Zaitsev if they can't get anything else done.

Pens fans are offering a pick with Johnson. Both are bad, but I'd rather weaponize cap spaceif Benning is dead set on going Lame Duck Chia.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
What round pick? I'd rather weaponize too but Jack Johnson is pretty bad, worse player than Zaitsev.

Someone offered a cap dump and a mid second for a first and Johnson. Actually it was for our boy Gud, but the pens fans replied Johnson would be workable.

I figure Pittsburgh probably values to cap space so our third might be appealing straight up.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Any interest in Brandon tanev? Love him as a player. Fast and tenacious. Probably looking for 3 plus mill tho ..

Maybe if we hadn’t blown our loads on rousell and Beagle
Canucks have oodles of tweeners. He’s gonna be highly paid tweener and is marginal upgrade when the Canucks need Top6 talent and have huge money tied to bottom6 players

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I would argue that it would be quite difficult for you to find much evidence of this actually happening. When people dislike a transaction, they almost always outline exactly why they dislike it and give clear logic and reasons for disliking it. When you dismiss those reasons and accuse them of "reflexively dislik[ing] anything he does," you are engaging in an ad hominem fallacy. You are attacking the person's motives instead of his argument. This behaviour (the tendency to focus on motive over argument) is the single most frustrating thing about trying to engage on this forum.

The problem with those who champion everything that Benning does is that this behaviour tends to pretzel them into making extremely poor arguments, and it is those arguments that are then torn apart, as they should be. If someone who is very against Benning (such as myself) is similarly making really bad arguments in an attempt to discredit Benning, then those arguments too deserve to be shredded. By focusing instead on my motive instead of my argument you are not discrediting anything I say and are just lowering the quality of discourse without addressing my argument.

I cannot communicate the level of frustration involved in putting a lot of careful thought into an opinion, taking the time to write it all out here with as much reason as you can and then having people dismiss it "you just hate it cause you hate everything benning does!" and knowing that this non-response is perfectly within the forum rules even though it does nothing to advance the discussion.

Having said that, of course we are all biased because we are all human, and it's impossible to ever come to any opinion about something Benning does without it being coloured by your previous opinions of him. That is true of 100% of the people here. All we can do is try to be self-aware and put forth the best arguments we can, hoping that others will check us if we argue poorly.

A symptom of the greater problem infesting the online and IRL worlds these days. Talking to Benning bros is like talking to Trump boosters. 99% of their posts are ad hominen derp, straw men, appeals to popularity, appeals to authority, deliberate misrepresentations and other illogical fallacies. I mean, we all know who they are. If you post coherent point-for-point refutations of what they say, they just ignore you and act like you didn't say a damn thing. So much of what gets posted here isn't about making arguments of any substance at all, because one side just doesn't have a substantial argument in their corner. Much like Trump, there's just no logical defense for Benning that holds water. So they have to resort to propaganda techniques because it's all they have. And it really f***ing sucks to have to deal with it every time you log in.

Very well said.

I think, however, that MC is right in that there is a choice, at the margins, to lean one way or the other. That in those circumstances, bias can show through when neutrality would be the logical course.

Like you, I hate Benning's work on the whole. That said, on the few occasions he does something good, as in holding firm on the Edler situation, I credit him. Those occurrences are few and far between, but they're there.

Anyways, this is commentary on the minority opinion. The majority of posters can recognize a sound argument when it is made.

Yeah...is neutrality the logical course now though? This thinking kills me. That no matter how many times Benning f***s up basic managerial tasks he's always entitled to be judged as though every transaction he makes is the first one ever and has no precedent. Like the current situation with Edler. Oh, he's holding firm and that's the right course, is it? Uh-huh. Let's see...by any chance has Benning had to deal with a potential UFA dman with an NTC? Why, yes he has! How did that wind up? I mean, I mention this in the speculation threads and I've suddenly got half a dozen people talking like they sit down with Edler every day and he told them that of course there's no way he'd ever waive his NTC and rent an apartment in another city and skype with his family for a couple of months because Swedes and family values and all that. Suddenly Edler became the only Swedish professional athlete with a family and an NTC in the history of time. The fact that Benning didn't learn a damn thing from his handling of Hamhuis just vanished. And it's just over and over and over.

And the team still sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad