2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If it was based on consistent club policy and sound management it wouldn't be a sign of disrespect.

When you give another team's middling 4th line center a 4-year deal at age 33 the previous summer and then won't for a guy who has been here for 15 years, that is *absolutely* a sign of disrespect. That's an total kick in the teeth.

the beagle deal is for half the money and is front loaded so it is easy to buyout after two years. beagle was also 32 when he signed and started last season. edler will turn 34 during this season. on a 4 year deal he will be 38 when he finishes the last season.

if they could sign a contract with a tiered aav that dropped after two years with edler i am sure they would.

but you knew that.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
When you have a RH defender who fit in well, worked well with Hughes, and is available for peanuts, you sign him. This is how you build the depth that Benning is so mystified that we don't have every season. If we end up with an extra defender on a <$1 million deal, that is not a problem.

you would think, but it depends on whether schenn is trying to get more than replacement money.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
the beagle deal is for half the money and is front loaded so it is easy to buyout after two years. beagle was also 32 when he signed and started last season. edler will turn 34 during this season. on a 4 year deal he will be 38 when he finishes the last season.

if they could sign a contract with a tiered aav that dropped after two years with edler i am sure they would.

but you knew that.
That some serious gymnastics. Ignoring the massive difference in player quality. Inventing a buyout scenario on one side. The inconsistent age comparison. Just wow.

Reactions: Morenz and timw33

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I wouldn't mind Risto depending on the cost, how the heck old is Bogosian these days?? Huh, 28 ... thought he was older.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

but you knew that.

What? Jay Beagle is a 1985-born player who signed a 4-year deal in 2018. That's the same age as Edler is now. The couple months of age difference is irrelevant.

The combined cost of Beagle/Roussel on 4-year deals is basically what it would cost to sign Edler. The fact that Benning decided to provide huge term for the 4th line last summer but not for our #1 defender (on a shockingly thin defense to begin with) is just stunning. There is no logical defense for it.

Personally I think it's great, because he's digging his own grave. But it's atrocious management from someone with no plan.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
the same as repeatedly saying beagle signed at 33 when he didn't. see what happens...

Jay Beagle was 3 months shy of 33 when he signed his deal. Edler will be 9 months shy of 34 at the same point. Someone is fudging much more than the other.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

Feel free to take a stab at that....

I love that the first comment is "But Gillis"

Ridiculous that this is the case. How does a 4C get signed through until 37 and our top defender that has played his entire career here can't get that type of term. If he's asking for more than 3 years then yeah good job standing firm but if it's only 3 years with no ED protection I could stomach that contract.

Sutter for Bogo + pick I'd be ok with. Risto I wouldn't hate either but JB will overpay for him so not really interested with how badly we will lose that one.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
The only Buffalo D (outside of Dahlin of course) the Canucks should be targeting is Lawrence Pilut.
Perhaps
That’s who they are targeting. Rick D doesn’t know who they are after, just that they are speaking with BUFF

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
What? Jay Beagle is a 1985-born player who signed a 4-year deal in 2018. That's the same age as Edler is now. The couple months of age difference is irrelevant.

The combined cost of Beagle/Roussel on 4-year deals is basically what it would cost to sign Edler. The fact that Benning decided to provide huge term for the 4th line last summer but not for our #1 defender (on a shockingly thin defense to begin with) is just stunning. There is no logical defense for it.

Personally I think it's great, because he's digging his own grave. But it's atrocious management from someone with no plan.

well it seems like every month counts to you the way you keep shading the facts. so no, it's not a "couple of months" age difference and no beagle was not 33 when he signed. edler will be 6 months older than beagle was when and if he signs. he will be 38 when he finishes a 4 year deal, whereas beagle will be 37 if he finishes his deal. those are facts.

and, more generally, to me the idea that not offering edler 4 years is insulting because of beagle is wrong. they are in different categories. beagle's cap hit is much lower and his deal is structured to make it cheap to buy out. he also has no nmc for any years in his contract.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Jay Beagle was 3 months shy of 33 when he signed his deal. Edler will be 9 months shy of 34 at the same point. Someone is fudging much more than the other.

lol, so ms claims beagle was 33 when he signed and the age difference is a couple of months. i accurately state the facts and you claim i am fudging the facts. welcome back. i see nothing has changed.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
well it seems like every month counts to you the way you keep shading the facts. so no, it's not a "couple of months" age difference and no beagle was not 33 when he signed. edler will be 6 months older than beagle was when and if he signs. he will be 38 when he finishes a 4 year deal, whereas beagle will be 37 if he finishes his deal. those are facts.

and, more generally, to me the idea that not offering edler 4 years is insulting because of beagle is wrong. they are in different categories. beagle's cap hit is much lower and his deal is structured to make it cheap to buy out. he also has no nmc for any years in his contract.

Both players were/are heading into their 33 y/o seasons, which is the common way of stating age for NHL players. I'm not inventing anything here. This is how ages are described for players right from junior.

Combined with Rousell, Benning gave a $6 million commitment for 4 years for old bottom-6 forwards. Now he apparently won't go past 2 years for the team's #1 defender at roughly that same commitment.

Reports are that Edler didn't demand a NMC. This is a red herring.

Reactions: timw33

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
lol, so ms claims beagle was 33 when he signed and the age difference is a couple of months. i accurately state the facts and you claim i am fudging the facts. welcome back. i see nothing has changed.

Agree, looks like nothing has changed.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

You didn't accurately state the facts. You said that Edler would be 38 at the end of a new 4-year deal. In fact, Edler would turn 37 on April 21 of the expiring year, not 38.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad