2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Should we target kap or johnsson? Would be a nice add to our young guys. 2nd and a 5th for one of them is where id start.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I tend to agree with this. However, it depends on when Jim asked Edler to waive his NMC. He has had a history asking a few days prior to the deadline. It should be done well ahead of time(months).
No it doesn’t matter. You think Edler didn’t know that they would try to trade him? That’s a pretty absurd take

Reactions: BeardyCanuck03

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It's not really a big thing but I see it all the time on here, twitter, and elsewhere... Edler has never had a NMC. He's had a full NTC clause throughout the length of his last contract, but he's never had a NMC.

That is all.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If the reports are true and it wasn't about the NMC holding up the deal, then why is it now that Benning puts his foot down on a contract? He's handed out term and money all over the place but with Edler is when he plays hard ball?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If the reports are true and it wasn't about the NMC holding up the deal, then why is it now that Benning puts his foot down on a contract? He's handed out term and money all over the place but with Edler is when he plays hard ball?

Apparently in stupidland it makes sense to blow $6 million/year on 4-year contracts to 30+ bottom-6 grinders one offseason ... and then the next year refuse to spend roughly the same amount on your #1 defender who has been in the organization for 15 years for anything more than 2 years.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Apparently in stupidland it makes sense to blow $6 million/year on 4-year contracts to 30+ bottom-6 grinders one offseason ... and then the next year refuse to spend roughly the same amount on your #1 defender who has been in the organization for 15 years for anything more than 2 years.

If by stupid land you mean know how to win land.

Reactions: Josepho

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I would happily give Edler a 3rd year bit of a gamble but we have no real choice if we want to get better.

In year 3 if he doesnt fit the team trade with 50 % retained or something

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Maybe Benning is close to making a trade for a d? Who knows. There’s lots going on

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

It's no point. Benning could throw a 5 year 50 mil contract to a deceased Eddie Shore and some people would still defend it as a quality signing...

Stupidland, we stand strong. Letting Edler go and filling the void with Gardiner or Myers on a long term bloated contract is inevitable.

Reactions: Morenz

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Which UFA’s?
I’m not doing your homework for you, you are the student. List out the last 10 UFA signings and let everyone know whether you think the deals were market. Also, do you think the Canucks (or any Canadian team) could have acquired these players on the same terms

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I’m not doing your homework for you, you are the student. List out the last 10 UFA signings and let everyone know whether you think the deals were market. Also, do you think the Canucks (or any Canadian team) could have acquired these players on the same terms
So you made a claim, didn't back it up when asked then moved the goal posts.

Please explain to me how New York has been given a competitive advantage in their rebuild. Please show me how "UFA's willing to take less" has correlated to them attaining more draft picks.

If anything Jim Benning inherited players that openly suggested that they took less money to play in Vancouver when they were good.

Kesler, Garrison, Hamhuis.

Reactions: Morenz and racerjoe

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If it wasnt about expansion then what the f***?

Unless edler wanted something else like a 5 year deal..

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
To be fair, this is a case where the Rangers have a huge competitive advantage and there was basically no point even discussing Trouba as he was never, ever going to sign here.

That said, Benning has completely failed to do anything to improve this team or build depth in 6 years. The best trade acquisition on this roster is Sven Baertschi, an injury-prone fringe 2nd liner with a career high of 35 points.

And ironically, the 2nd round pick Benning sent over to Calgary for Baertschi has become a dman better than any Benning has been able to add to the team in five years.

You're blinded by your bias.

Accepting a trade midseason would mean he's either have to uproot his family suddenly or spend a few months away from them.

Choosing where he goes in the summer allows him to move at a much less hectic pace.

Edler not waiving and then choosing a place he wants to go in the summer makes a lot of sense.

Oh ffs I can't believe what I've been reading about Edler itt today. It's as if this guy uploaded a video to youtube or twitter in February where he shouts: "I'M NEVER WAIVING MY NTC AND I'M ONLY MOVING IN JULY AND NO MATTER WHAT THE CANUCKS WILL NEVER GET ANY VALUE FOR ME!! MWA-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

Someone please tell me how many NHL players refuse to waive their NTCs at the trading deadline just because it's more convenient to move their families in the summer. Is this something that cancels a lot of trades? Because I don't see those reports. I see the same gm who's spent five years turning something into nothing doing the same damn thing he always does.

Losing Edler isn't so much the problem. It's losing him for nothing when there's nothing close to an in-house replacement. Hughes? He's played seven NHL games, and you're going to use a 5'9" rookie as an all-situation shutdown dman? Not bloody likely. Hutton? Not really seeing it. Decent mid-level guy when he was away from Gudbranson but nowhere near Edler's level. Juolevi? Let me know when he even plays a single NHL game.

Here's how a competent GM would've handled this situation. He notices Edler refuses to waive his NTC last bloody year. He takes that as a sign Edler wants to stay in Vancouver, and he decides what kind of contract terms work for the team. He calls Edler's agent last damn year and says: "Hey. So Eddie wants to stay. What kind of terms work for him?" If the terms don't work, GM says: "Okay Mr Agent. That's just not going to work for us. We know he wants to stay here, but that's not going to be a realistic option. So where does he want to go? What kind of place does he want for his family? Give us some options. Let's work together here. Eddie can get to a situation that works for him, and we can get an asset moving forward. Talk to me, and let's get something done." I mean, this isn't hard stuff here. You don't have to bully or shame Edler or be a dick about it. It's as simple as: "Help us help you." Instead the contract's about to expire and Benning's gone herp derp you want whaaaaaat?! Just absolutely piss-poor planning. And the killer is this is a repeat of the exact same situation with Hamhuis. It's like the absolute worst possible asset management just calls to Benning.

Gah.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
No it doesn’t matter. You think Edler didn’t know that they would try to trade him? That’s a pretty absurd take

Agreed.

And this is one of the things that I have a major problem with: Made up rumours. I've noticed a few people now stating that Benning only asked Edler to waive his NTC one before the deadline without providing any substantial proof of any kind (other than perhaps "Canucks Army" which is extremely anti-Benning, anti-Aqua, etc.). I think it's absurd for people to assume that Benning didn't have conversations with Edler as early as the start of the year.

re - UFA's and players wanting to play in New York:

You're also absolutely correct that New York has a significantly easier time in attracting UFA's and players than all/most other cities. New York, Original 6 teams, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and California, are typically seen as the most desirable locations. Alberta, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Arizona, and a few other struggling American markets, are typically the least desirable for UFA's.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Agreed.

And this is one of the things that I have a major problem with: Made up rumours. I've noticed a few people now stating that Benning only asked Edler to waive his NTC one before the deadline without providing any substantial proof of any kind (other than perhaps "Canucks Army" which is extremely anti-Benning, anti-Aqua, etc.). I think it's absurd for people to assume that Benning didn't have conversations with Edler as early as the start of the year.

re - UFA's and players wanting to play in New York:

You're also absolutely correct that New York has a significantly easier time in attracting UFA's and players than all/most other cities. New York, Original 6 teams, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and California, are typically seen as the most desirable locations. Alberta, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Arizona, and a few other struggling American markets, are typically the least desirable for UFA's.

Edler himself said back in January that he hadn't been asked. Dont think you could get a better source or that Edler is anti-Benning or anti-Aqua (well maybe now)

Then Benning stated after the deadline that they got offers for Edler and THEN presented him with the option of a trade.

About the UFAs and the Rangers, that wasn't a question about being a more desirable location but rather the claim that UFAs take less money to sign in NY, which is just not true. The Rangers may be able to attract more players but they still have to give them market value to get them signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad