2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It's no point. Benning could throw a 5 year 50 mil contract to a deceased Eddie Shore and some people would still defend it as a quality signing...
You have to overpay to get big names to sign in Vancouver and Shore would be our biggest name signing ever! Definitely worth the risk, if it starts going bad we can just get him to retire and terminate the contract.

[Oh no, he did not check the over 35 rules]

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Edler himself said back in January that he hadn't been asked. Dont think you could get a better source or that Edler is anti-Benning or anti-Aqua (well maybe now)

Then Benning stated after the deadline that they got offers for Edler and THEN presented him with the option of a trade.

About the UFAs and the Rangers, that wasn't a question about being a more desirable location but rather the claim that UFAs take less money to sign in NY, which is just not true. The Rangers may be able to attract more players but they still have to give them market value to get them signed.

Same Benning MO was seen in the Hamhuis and Vrbata debacle.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Edler himself said back in January that he hadn't been asked. Dont think you could get a better source or that Edler is anti-Benning or anti-Aqua (well maybe now)

Then Benning stated after the deadline that they got offers for Edler and THEN presented him with the option of a trade.

About the UFAs and the Rangers, that wasn't a question about being a more desirable location but rather the claim that UFAs take less money to sign in NY, which is just not true. The Rangers may be able to attract more players but they still have to give them market value to get them signed.

All great points Peter.

Thank you for the clarification. :cool:

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Apparently in stupidland it makes sense to blow $6 million/year on 4-year contracts to 30+ bottom-6 grinders one offseason ... and then the next year refuse to spend roughly the same amount on your #1 defender who has been in the organization for 15 years for anything more than 2 years.
Can't like this enough.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It will come back to haunt IMO. The best franchises treat their players well.

Like the NE Patriots? They must feel so haunted by now they cant catch an eye of sleep a night.

I literally can not think of a single example of taking care of the organisation over the players, coming to haunt the organisation.

Reactions: ekimbo

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Probably because he wasn’t the GM of the Bruins. Benning isn’t a complete moron; just a guy that is best suited for a lower position in an organization much like Dave Nonis.

If I’m being generous, I would say Benning has gotten incrementally better year over year at this whole “managing a professional sports franchise” thing. He’s made some progress. The only problem for the fans is that means he’s gone from horrid to not quite as horrid.

A lot of that could change with this off season, too - for better or for worse.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Update from Dhaliwal...

Sharks trade Justin Braun for a 2nd this year and a 3rd next. Lots of defensemen on the move, it would seem:

Why the hell was an obvious re-sign of a 3rd pairing RH defender not happening because of negotiations with a top-pairing LH defender? Like, are these guys so f***ing braindead they can only do one thing at once?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Oh really? So Kevin Hayes signed with NY for 2 years at $3.75MM AAV. So you believe he would have signed for the same amount in Vancouver or WNP? Of course not, NY is a more desirable place to play. Now do you think the Canucks or any other less desirable market would have offered more term/ higher AAV? Of course they would/ did. Hence, Hayes took less to play in arguably the most desirable City in the league. Also, no trade protection was required so he was easy to flip.

This isnt rocket science Peter

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Why the hell was an obvious re-sign of a 3rd pairing RH defender not happening because of negotiations with a top-pairing LH defender? Like, are these guys so ****ing braindead they can only do one thing at once?
Yes that’s sounds over the top idiotic but it’s also just rick D musing. They probably don’t care too much about Schenn, he is a number 7

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It will come back to haunt IMO. The best franchises treat their players well.

Who cares? Is what we are doing now helping us win Cups? We shouldn’t be a players’ country club. Edler should’ve been traded to begin with and I sure don’t want him signed to a 4 year or whatever deal so I’d say see ya.

I want to win and I question if some of you do or you’d rather see players ride into the sunset eating up cap while we waste years of Pettersson/Horvat etc.

What franchises act like a country club and are perennial contenders?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Why the hell was an obvious re-sign of a 3rd pairing RH defender not happening because of negotiations with a top-pairing LH defender? Like, are these guys so ****ing braindead they can only do one thing at once?

Yeah, that’s a bit of a puzzler. It’s like forgetting to pre-heat the oven (talk to/sign Schenn) while doing your food prep (negotiating with Edler).

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Update from Dhaliwal...

Sharks trade Justin Braun for a 2nd this year and a 3rd next. Lots of defensemen on the move, it would seem:

Haha, how are these things even remotely related? Like you don't have the capacity to negotiate the Schenn contract while you're working on the Edler deal? Seriously.

Reactions: timw33

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Who cares? Is what we are doing now helping us win Cups? We shouldn’t be a players’ country club. Edler should’ve been traded to begin with and I sure don’t want him signed to a 4 year or whatever deal so I’d say see ya.

I want to win and I question if some of you do or you’d rather see players ride into the sunset eating up cap while we waste years of Pettersson/Horvat etc.

What franchises act like a country club and are perennial contenders?

It’s a balancing act, for sure - but players spending their entire careers with the same franchise are extremely rare. I don’t think anyone, Edler included, could argue he wasn’t treated extremely well by the franchise and the city during his time here. But in 90% of players, there is a time where it’s time to move on. The Canucks did it with other beloved members of the franchise like Ohlund, Salo, Bieksa, Burrows, etc - either allowing them to walk or asking them to waive their protection clauses to be moved.

The Canucks have interest in Edler, but only in specific terms, which is fair enough. It’s also fair enough that Edler will seek better elsewhere. But either way, Edler was always treated well here, IMO.

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It’s a balancing act, for sure - but players spending their entire careers with the same franchise are extremely rare. I don’t think anyone, Edler included, could argue he wasn’t treated extremely well by the franchise and the city during his time here. But in 90% of players, there is a time where it’s time to move on. The Canucks did it with other beloved members of the franchise like Ohlund, Salo, Bieksa, Burrows, etc - either allowing them to walk or asking them to waive their protection clauses to be moved.

The Canucks have interest in Edler, but only in specific terms, which is fair enough. It’s also fair enough that Edler will seek better elsewhere. But either way, Edler was always treated well here, IMO.

Exactly. It doesn't mean you cripple the team moving forward. Edler spent 12 years here...I think he liked it here, to say the least. All those names you mentioned had no ill-will against moving on, it happens in sports all the time - it's part of the business.

Not re-signing Edler to HIS terms and conditions isn't a sign of disrespect.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Exactly. It doesn't mean you cripple the team moving forward. Edler spent 12 years here...I think he liked it here, to say the least. All those names you mentioned had no ill-will against moving on, it happens in sports all the time - it's part of the business.

Not re-signing Edler to HIS terms and conditions isn't a sign of disrespect.

If it was based on consistent club policy and sound management it wouldn't be a sign of disrespect.

When you give another team's middling 4th line center a 4-year deal at age 33 the previous summer and then won't for a guy who has been here for 15 years, that is *absolutely* a sign of disrespect. That's an total kick in the teeth.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Haha, how are these things even remotely related? Like you don't have the capacity to negotiate the Schenn contract while you're working on the Edler deal? Seriously.

well they are presumably working the trade market and ufa market as well.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If it was based on consistent club policy and sound management it wouldn't be a sign of disrespect.

When you give another team's middling 4th line center a 4-year deal at age 33 the previous summer and then won't for a guy who has been here for 15 years, that is *absolutely* a sign of disrespect. That's an total kick in the teeth.

Not saying I disagree, but it's being way too overblown.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
well they are presumably working the trade market and ufa market as well.

When you have a RH defender who fit in well, worked well with Hughes, and is available for peanuts, you sign him. This is how you build the depth that Benning is so mystified that we don't have every season. If we end up with an extra defender on a <$1 million deal, that is not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad