2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
You guys do understand that Green wanted Beagle and Roussel right?

So? That doesn't absolve Benning for giving Beagle a complete boat anchor of a contract.

Green should be in communication with the front office about what he sees as the holes, yes. The GM and his pro scouting staff are the ones who need to find those players and do so in a way that fits the cap effectively.

Green isn't telling them "get me Beagle AT ALL COSTS"

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
... this all sounds good until we give the #10 overall pick in a deal for Ristolainen.

Bogosian is a pointless acquisition. He's taken forever to round into an OK #4-5 guy, but is more injury-prone than Tanev and is an American UFA next summer who won't re-sign here. Giving assets for him would be a waste, although I agree it's a better option than Myers.

Ristolainen is just a disaster and probably the single player in the entire NHL I'd most want to stay away from. The goals that this guy bleeds are the single biggest reason that franchise hasn't been able to turn a corner.

Moving the 10th overall pick for Ristolainen wouldn't be great but it would hardly be a disaster. I think it has higher perceived value than any real utility. A Peyton Krebs level prospect is nothing too special. Plus, if Benning is replaced with someone halfway competent in the next year or so, Ristolainen would retain some value.

(Anyways, I think it's far likelier Hockey Trade Benning moves like, Tanev and Virtanen or something).

A true disaster would be moving the 2020 first without lottery protection, but I don't think Benning would do that.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
"Ha ha! You have fallen for the most buffoonish ruses of them all! The player is not in fact one age, but in fact two months younger and therefore your premise must be looked upon for the fraud that it is Ha ha!"

giphy.gif

Reactions: timw33 and MS

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Why anyone would think Benning would make sounds decisions when:

A. Given his past history of **** trades and signings
B. His job is on the line to make the playoffs

Is beyond me.

I fully expect a train wreck coming.

tenor.gif

Take careful note of the slow-motion, the tracks leading to nowhere, the premature bursting into flames, and the final complete and utter explosion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
That's a real product of our small echo chamber front office. The inability to multi task, we've seen it multiple times during their tenure.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Been saying 7 years/$50 million is what Myers will get for the last couple months. That contract will instantly be one of the worst in the NHL.

Because 6'8".

Winnipeg is supposedly working hard to retain Myers, and I think I read he'd take closer to $6M AAV to stay there. Hopefully that's actually true and they get him signed.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I was referring to when he resigned for two years. Was he an RFA? If so then I’m using a poor example.

His 2nd deal was indeed an RFA one. While he came into the league as an UFA that doesn't mean he would be one after his first deal either. General rule of thumb is either age 27 or 7 accrued seasons, whichever happens first, though there are quite a few more things playing into this, also different groups of UFAs. He was about to become a UFA this summer which is why the Rangers have dealt him.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Even if he did; doesn’t mean you overpay for a fourth liner - and benning could always say no
fair enough

Just because last offseason he overspent to give Green what he was looking for and now is playing hard ball with Edler who obviously wants 4 or 5 yrs and is gonna want 5-6 million isn't a reason to cave?

Unlike the LD where they have Hughes Hutton and need room for Juolevi ( if they believe in him which they seem to) the 3rd and 4th lines had almost nothing adequate in the pipeline to replace them and they were getting rid of the Megna Chaput Gaunce junk.

they were poor contracts as a whole but you can look at it as someone who is progressing and doesnt want 6 million in Loui Eriksson type value again or you can say what an idiot after spending 6 million for Beagle and Roussel he wont and should cave for Edler.

Seems like a no win unless Edler signs for 2-3yrs without expansion protection which is obviously what the Canuicks want. 4 or 5yrs and the narrative is what an idiot Edler is gonna stink at 38 making 6million.....should have traded him. NMC and its what an idiot were gonna lose a good player to Seattle to protect the old fogey. He walks and its what an idiot we should have took the initiative and got assets back. Edler has all along wanted to stay and the Canucks wanted to sign him so here we are. Just need to find some common ground.

Until this is over i still feel like he could be back. Edler is a career Canuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Winnipeg is supposedly working hard to retain Myers, and I think I read he'd take closer to $6M AAV to stay there. Hopefully that's actually true and they get him signed.

Yup. Hopefully Benning can be saved from himself as happened with Lucic in 2015 and 2016.

It's just a question of which bomb hits us at this point and how bad the damage is. Absolutely insane that this mental imbecile is still running this franchise, desperately trying to save his job. It's basically a drunk behind the wheel.

Reactions: Mr4legs

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So?

Managers manage and coaches coach the players they're given. Except here, apparently, where the coach can bully his weak, stupid GM into making horrible signings.
Bully?

Roussel was excellent and what this team needs more of. Beagle was 2yrs too long but he's a Malhotra like presence in the room. Huge character guy. Were not in a cap crunch these guys after year one are setting some pretty good standards for work rates intensity and winning battles. Our young players will be better for it.

after 2 years we have 4 contracts on the books?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Yup. Hopefully Benning can be saved from himself as happened with Lucic in 2015 and 2016.

It's just a question of which bomb hits us at this point and how bad the damage is. Absolutely insane that this mental imbecile is still running this franchise, desperately trying to save his job. It's basically a drunk behind the wheel.

It would be so much fun to watch this from the outside if he was the GM of the Bruins or Hawks yet it is us who must suffer.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Bully?

Roussel was excellent and what this team needs more of. Beagle was 2yrs too long but he's a Malhotra like presence in the room. Huge character guy. Were not in a cap crunch these guys after year one are setting some pretty good standards for work rates intensity and winning battles. Our young players will be better for it.

Why would you spend 12m on a 4th liner who is good in room, even more so if you know that he is pretty much useless after 2y? So you are effectively paying him 6m a year and also borrowing cap space from the future when the team is supposed to get back in the playoffs and could use every bit of cap space?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Sutter for Scandella as an Edler replacement would be better. Let Gaudette play as the 3C and it'll shed a year of term off of that 4M contract for Benning's replacement to work with, that is unless Scandella is resigned here next off season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Its funny Brian Burke of all people likes Jim Benning and calls him smart but not articulate.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Re: the Ristolainen or Bogosian rumor...

I like Ristolainen. Even with his defensive misgivings, this team desperately needs offence, especially from its back end. Hughes is the only guy who looks set to fill that role. So Ristolainen would definitely fill a need - but the acquisition cost for that scares me.

As for Bogosian - only if we send back one of Sutter, Beagle or Eriksson.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Re: the Ristolainen or Bogosian rumor...

I like Ristolainen. Even with his defensive misgivings, this team desperately needs offence, especially from its back end. Hughes is the only guy who looks set to fill that role. So Ristolainen would definitely fill a need - but the acquisition cost for that scares me.

As for Bogosian - only if we send back one of Sutter, Beagle or Eriksson.

That's definitely not happening, as Bogosian is only signed for one more season.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Bully?

Are you saying you would have signed these 4th liners to their current contracts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad