GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Is there a legitimate source on that Schaller report yet?

The Beagle contract is too much term. I'm reasonably OK with the Roussel deal as he is only 28, but a four year deal for Beagle is too much. Hope for all our sakes his play doesn't fall off a cliff anytime soon.

For lineup projections next year - the only youngster who I believe management is actively penciling into the opening lineup as of now is Pettersson. Guys like Goldobin will not dress ahead of him and will still need to prove themselves at camp. Other guys like Gaudette and Dahlen will really need to blow the doors off in camp to enter the conversation, otherwise, I believe they are both earmarked to start the season in Utica and get some seasoning (Gaudette) and adjust to the North American game at a slightly better level of competition (Dahlen).

Roussel will be 29 this season.

4 years at $3.25M for a 17 point winger is okay to you?

These are two 4th liners, being signed long-term.

Chwc

Sep 6, 2008
Vancouver
Dont mind the players, but the term and dollars are just awful. How they can give longer terms to beagle and roussel when statsny and bozak only get 3 years.

I understand Canucks might not be a desirable destination for free agents since they are rebuilding, but this just shows again Benning and co dont understand market value and assets, and will pay whatever it takes to get their target players. Also unfortunately their targets over the past 3 years are all failures.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Oh I understand just fine. You seem to have trouble understanding we dont play an actual game for like 3 months. Players can be dealt or waived. Also not the end of the world if they decide to load up Utica for a Calder Cup run.

Term could end up hurting us down the road. But in the immediate future, having some identity in the bottom 6 is a positive. And I have zero concerns that young players that show they are ready won't have a spot on the roster.

There is literally nothing that this management group can do that you won't defend, is there?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Roussel will be 29 this season.

4 years at $3.25M for a 17 point winger is okay to you?

These are two 4th liners, being signed long-term.

I think Roussel can do better than he did last year - it's an over payment to be sure, but I don't think it will prove problematic for us. The Beagle one, given that he's 32, worries me.

Schaller seems like a nice player and all (Dhaliwal reporting the signing now, too) but I don't see where he fits - we have a logjam of forwards now.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Goldobin and Motte start in the AHL, Gaunce and Boucher put on waivers. That's what their plan looks like.

Goldobin will not clear waiver to go to Utica. A likely Benning giveaway.

But hey, we have Tim Schaller

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
This board really must be composed of drama class experts for all of the hysterics going on............."OMG THE SKY IS FALLING"

Like Benning stole their first born and his signings are the biggest mistakes in the history of mistakes..........

I do agree that 4 year terms are not at all good moves - not excited about that. I think 3 year max is what we should be giving any player right now. Most likely however in order to get these players to come here that's what we had to do. Assuming Beagle comes here that's a curious signing with us already having Sutter on the roster. For those of you thinking that this means Sutter is going to be moved I really don't see it. It would be nice if they did though as he has a lot more value than many people on here think but I tend to think management likes him and he isn't going anywhere.

Management clearly decided that we were too easy to play against last year and has made a priority of addressing that (with Roussel and Beagle). I can't say I disagree with that assessment - it's the term that's a bit unsettling. They also clearly felt that with the Sedins retiring that they needed to replace some veterans in the dressing room.

One thing that baffles me though is that I see comments like "Well let's sign player X for one year then flip him at the deadline". Yeah ok then..............what decent player is going to want to come here unless they are getting overpaid with term? It's just not happening right now. You do realize that in order to lure anyone decent here they are going to have to overpay? That's what free agency is all about (more so for a team that has no hope of contending for a few years).

At the end of the day we barely have the talent for 2 decent lines that can score (between EP, Brock and Horvat and whatever pieces they put with them). That's about it. I see all these comments like "OMG BENNING IS OVERPAYING FOR A BUNCH OF 4RTH LINERS" - like we had our pick of top 6 forwards to sign here..........The only players we could potentially lure here for that role are ones that are team is already full of (or by way overpaying on term - on thanks). Players like Duclair that are reclamation projects that we "hope" can grow into an offensive role. No thanks - our team is already stacked with those types of players.......Gagne, Leipsic, Granlund, Goldobin etc. etc.......the list goes on and on. At least our team will have a decent bunch of 3rd and 4rth liners that can keep the other team honest, provide leadership and make our team harder to play against.

We are going to be a tire fire for another couple more years regardless..........ultimately we have a ton of cap space so spending a few mill here or there to improve our team (however marginally) isn't nearly the catastrophe the majority of this board would make it out to be.........​

No one said any of those things.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Hey man. Why don't you take your pointless contributions to this forum (these contracts are bad but not that bad!) and stick them up the bizarre old man ellipses you add to the end of every sentence.

I know........I really must learn to contribute by having pointless tantrums and chastizing management for any and every decision that they make..........I haven't quite gotten the hang of that yet however I'm sure if I hang around here long enough I'll pick that up.

Perhaps there's hope for me?

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think Roussel can do better than he did last year - it's an over payment to be sure, but I don't think it will prove problematic for us. The Beagle one, given that he's 32, worries me.

Schaller seems like a nice player and all (Dhaliwal reporting the signing now, too) but I don't see where he fits - we have a logjam of forwards now.

Beagle will be 33 to start the season.

They're both 4th liners. Age notwithstanding. They're both 20something point 4th liners. $3M+ per year long-term is egregious.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
They also just added two of the least productive forwards in the league (on a per minute basis) to a team that can’t score. There is going to be a ton of pressure on the top six to score given they won’t get anything from the bottom six.

Reactions: RobsonStreet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad