GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hey genius

You call going out of his way to acquire our future captain, leaving the team
"Low on asserts" He left the team with it's most important player in the prospect pool and it wasn't some random pick, he targeted Horvat. And if he hadn't.....good god

50% of the future of this team is credit of Mike Gillis, and don't talk to me about guys who have yet to play an NHL game, have played a bunch but can't score, would rather play FIFA 18 than actual hockey, or guys that were improperly scouted and thus ran back to their native countries....oh, and for the record, I'm not betting the farm on goalies who have had 6 years of development, 1 NHL game and a save % in the .800

Benning has destroyed this team with his incompetent drafting

What part of my post did you missunderstand?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
We took a huge step back today. Handcuffed ourselves for another 4 years. 4 years more of Erikson/Beagle/Roussel lol. WTF. Most teams are locking up good young players long term. Not old terrible ones.

No roster spots for Dhalen / Peterson / Gaudette

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
They also just added two of the least productive forwards in the league (on a per minute basis) to a team that can’t score. There is going to be a ton of pressure on the top six to score given they won’t get anything from the bottom six.

And other teams are smart and will know this. This makes the Horvat line's job even tougher.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I think Roussel can do better than he did last year - it's an over payment to be sure, but I don't think it will prove problematic for us. The Beagle one, given that he's 32, worries me.

Schaller seems like a nice player and all (Dhaliwal reporting the signing now, too) but I don't see where he fits - we have a logjam of forwards now.

We have a logjam of trash. A trashjam.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I think Roussel can do better than he did last year - it's an over payment to be sure, but I don't think it will prove problematic for us. The Beagle one, given that he's 32, worries me.

Schaller seems like a nice player and all (Dhaliwal reporting the signing now, too) but I don't see where he fits - we have a logjam of forwards now.

Yea this tends to echo my sentiments........I just don't like the 4th year for either of those signings.......curious as to what we are going to do with the absolute glut of riff raft we have up front now.....

I'm hearing we might look at buying out or trading Gagne (if we can). Also potentially trade Sutter (which would be the logical thing to do here and help alleviate a lot of the logjam up front). Either way something has to give.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Not enamored with either of these, especially Beagle given his age, but it's far from a tragedy most are making out. Fact is we were soft as **** and you have to overpay the FAs that have multiple suitors.

I count 14 forwards including, EP, Gaunce, Leipsic, Jake, Sven, and Gaudette. So ONLY one guy isn't going to make it. I'm sorry but if you can't beat out the likes of (past their prime) Roussel and Beagle...

There is always the possibility of waiving someone/burying in minors, even vets (Gagner?), and there are injuries.

Doubt Sutter is going anywhere. He'll be top 5 in minutes for forwards, maybe top 3. The new guys will be 3rd liners on a good day, hopefully taking only the tougher minutes from the young guys. Their dzs% supports this.

A lot of crying here over Aqua's money. The contracts are minor in the grand scheme of things and presumably can be bought out in the later years. Won't prevent any post ELC resignings.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
What the hell is Benning doing?! He's wasting our cap space on useless bottom six forwards that we already have enough of. How about using our cap space to get some salary dumps from other teams and get some extra picks in the process you idiot. This guy is useless, freaking hate these signings.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
No good free agents want to come to Vancouver. We are an abysmal team with no chance at a cup for maybe 10+ years. Good competitive players want no part of that. So expect to sign plugs, while good players go to destinations that are on the upswing.

Sooooo, Ryan got less term and about the same $$$ as Roussell? Nah, we need long term PLUGZ. **** me.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If Maroon get's less term than Rousell I'm going to lose it even more than I already am. At least he has shown he can score (as many goals as Rousell had points last year LMAO).

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
No good free agents want to come to Vancouver. We are an abysmal team with no chance at a cup for maybe 10+ years. Good competitive players want no part of that. So expect to sign plugs, while good players go to destinations that are on the upswing.

Calgary isn't even a good team or some desirable destination.

This team clearly can't sign a normal f***ing contract.

Reactions: Seattle Totems

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Beagle will be 33 to start the season.

They're both 4th liners. Age notwithstanding. They're both 20something point 4th liners. $3M+ per year long-term is egregious.

I would classify Roussel as a 3rd liner and Beagle as a 4th, but really it's splitting hairs. Yes, the pay is egregious, and yes, there's better deals being signed out there. There's always been a dollar premium to signing with a bottom-of-the-standings team, which is now us.

CanucksArmy saying that Beagle's deal is 3 years, and Corey Hirsch picked up on that, too - I sincerely hope that's the case.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I don't mind the Roussell signing tbh...a year longer than I would've liked but that Beagle signing is absolutely putrid. Horrendous actually. And Schaller is another 4th line C, have no idea what the hell the team is trying to do here.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Literally any morsel of optimism that's been brought on by the rapid development of our young players (who now won't have spots for the next four years) has been snuffed out in one day.

They never f***ing learn. God f***ing dammit f***, someone send Jim to English Bay to get drunk all f***ing day on July 1st and take his f***ing cellphone away.

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I would classify Roussel as a 3rd liner and Beagle as a 4th, but really it's splitting hairs. Yes, the pay is egregious, and yes, there's better deals being signed out there. There's always been a dollar premium to signing with a bottom-of-the-standings team, which is now us.

CanucksArmy saying that Beagle's deal is 3 years, and Corey Hirsch picked up on that, too - I sincerely hope that's the case.

Roussel was probably a 3rd liner a couple of years ago. I even said before free agency that I would be okay with Roussel on a 1 year deal. But 4 years for an asset who's declining and about to enter his 30's?

I guarantee you these are both contracts that we'll be suggesting should be bought out by next summer. Add these two contracts to the Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner, and Gudbranson contracts that are in the pile of "wow that's bad."

Almost $24M for those 6 players, all of whom I would actually be happy if we could get rid of on waivers.

Reactions: billvanseattle

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Surely one or more of Gaunce, Sutter, Gagner have to be moved at this point? Problem is, Sutter and Gagner at least are better point producers than the three guys (and counting?) we brought in today.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
There is literally nothing that this management group can do that you won't defend, is there?

Hahaha grow up.

I'm not defending anything. I just have the maturity to understand that just because something isn't exactly what I would do doesn't automatically make it wrong. I'm willing to let things play out, understanding that sometimes the moves you love the most flop, and vice versa.

Unlike you and your childish hyperbole you constantly spew. Every transaction, no matter how minor, is the worst in the league or a franchise crippling albatross
Heck you even said one of these sub 4% cap hit contracts is potentially one of the worst in the league. Ridiculously laughable.

But whatevs. Enjoy your misery while I enjoy the ride.

Reactions: CanucksMJL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad