Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'd be loathed to do that, I was highly impressed with him during the Marlies playoff run, I want to develop the young guys with talent with the Marlies and he's one of them

Hollowell
Duszak
Lindgren
Sandin
Liljegren (if he's not in the NHL)
Kivihalme (if he's not in the NHL)

If it means some vet plug doesn't play on the Marlies or sits in the press box I honestly couldn't care less
There is always a balance between development and winning in the AHL. The cream always rises, if he is as good as advertised he'll get his minutes. At the same time it's beneficial to play in meaningful games and going with the prospect isn't always the right way to get to them.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There is always a balance between development and winning in the AHL. The cream always rises, if he is as good as advertised he'll get his minutes. At the same time it's beneficial to play in meaningful games and going with the prospect isn't always the right way to get to them.

The young defenseman helped carry the Marlies at the end of last season, if there good enough there old enough and until I see something different there all good enough

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If you meant me. I am 100% certain he'll make the team. I'm just not convinced he's a regular at full health with the organizational depth. It would not shock me at all if he were though.

What makes you think that?

The fact he played regular minutes after coming over, being 3rd in minutes on his Liiga team, being 3rd in the LEAGUE in CF% (for defensemen), and being the 2nd best RHD on the team (assuming Lily is there) all seem like pretty good reasons as to why the guy will play, and probably significant minutes too.

Reactions: Jeypic and Eye Test

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
What makes you think that?

The fact he played regular minutes after coming over, being 3rd in minutes on his Liiga team, being 3rd in the LEAGUE in CF% (for defensemen), and being the 2nd best RHD on the team (assuming Lily is there) all seem like pretty good reasons as to why the guy will play, and probably significant minutes too.
I don't think Holl is NHL quality. I believe he is assigned to the Marlies. I also think that Lindgren being a better prospect than Hollowell is open for debate. I would take Hollowell, who had an impressive year in his own right, I like the way he plays, I could see high end upside in him. You could make an argument against any of them with Lindgren, he is a quality prospect.

The left side is pretty loaded with talent as well. Even with the impressive numbers you've posted above, I don't see him as a lock to be a top-6 D on this defensive group with the Marlies. Someone very talented will have to sit at full health. It could be someone other than Lindgren. I have Kivihalme and Lindgren on the outside looking in to start the season and it is very possible they are viewed differently on a depth chart mid-season.

Reactions: smitty10

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't think Holl is NHL quality. I believe he is assigned to the Marlies. I also think that Lindgren being a better prospect than Hollowell is open for debate. I would take Hollowell, who had an impressive year in his own right, I like the way he plays, I could see high end upside in him. You could make an argument against any of them with Lindgren, he is a quality prospect.

The left side is pretty loaded with talent as well. Even with the impressive numbers you've posted above, I don't see him as a lock to be a top-6 D on this defensive group with the Marlies. Someone very talented will have to sit at full health. It could be someone other than Lindgren. I have Kivihalme and Lindgren on the outside looking in to start the season and it is very possible they are viewed differently on a depth chart mid-season.

You've picked imo the two absolute locks as "outside looking in".

Kivihalme was one of maybe 2 defenseman better than Lindgren in Liiga last season. Wouldn't be surprised if he's playing with the Leafs, let alone benched with the Marlies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

While Hollowell is a solid prospect, they aren't battling for the same spot. I think Lindgren outplayed Hollowell in the playoffs as well.

Reactions: Eye Test

Pholus

May 23, 2014

It seems to me that the Marlies regularly rotate players in and out of the lineup, so even the 7/8 dmen play ~40 games. With the AHL having less 3-in-3s this season, there might not be as much need for rotation, but I suspect every game will have at least 1 (if not more) dman sitting who is healthy and capable of being a regular AHLer. The hardest part would be picking who sits; Duszak, Hollowell and Lindgren are all relatively unproven at the AHL level, and I would not be surprised if they all spend time in the press box at some point.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It seems to me that the Marlies regularly rotate players in and out of the lineup, so even the 7/8 dmen play ~40 games. With the AHL having less 3-in-3s this season, there might not be as much need for rotation, but I suspect every game will have at least 1 (if not more) dman sitting who is healthy and capable of being a regular AHLer. The hardest part would be picking who sits; Duszak, Hollowell and Lindgren are all relatively unproven at the AHL level, and I would not be surprised if they all spend time in the press box at some point.
Marlies under Keefe have used 4 pairs of d'men and rotated them in evenly in the past

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is some damn good AHL depth signings. Both with some NHL games in the past couple seasons.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Where are we going to fit all these D

The Growlers will likely take some of the residual.

It's also important to remember that in the AHL they tend to rotate players in and out even if healthy because of the schedule. Not many players play all the games, mostly due to the 3 games in 3 days, among other things. One injury to the Leafs and one injury for the Marlies, and they are out 2 players not just 1. You have to account for call-ups as well as your own roster management.

It's good to have good depth for that

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The Growlers will likely take some of the residual.

It's also important to remember that in the AHL they tend to rotate players in and out even if healthy because of the schedule. Not many players play all the games, mostly due to the 3 games in 3 days, among other things. It's good to have good depth for that.

The Marlies are already covered with 8+ defensemen. This is more of a move for the Growlers and extra insurance in case there are a ton of injuries in the NHL and AHL.

They could be the top pairing in the ECHL next year, but they shouldn't be given any consistent AHL time. They are essentially Sam Jardine replacements.

Kapla-R. Johnston
G. Johnston-Gudbranson
Sapego-Melindy
Rubins-Neugold
Nekolenko

I'd imagine this is the last Marlies contribution to the Growlers defense. The rest will be the Growlers deciding to tinker with depth and finding different bodies instead of Nekolenko and Neugold.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hailey Salvain from the Athletic projected the Marlies opening game lineup.

Mason Marchment – Adam Brooks – Bracco
Dmytro Timashov – Engvall – Yegor Korshkov
Tanner MacMaster – Brady Ferguson – Colt Conrad
Archibald – Aaron Luchuk– Justin Brazeau

Rasmus Sandin – Timothy Liljegren
Andreas Borgman – Jesper Lindgren
Kristians Rubins – Mac Hollowell/Joseph Duszak

Kasimir Kaskisuo
Joseph Woll/Ian Scott

This looks pretty close to what we might see.
I will describe the article later on for anyone who can't see it.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Kasimir Kaskisuo
Joseph Woll/Ian Scott

Didn't read the article, but one of Holl/Marincin/Gravel will probably be there too. And what about Hutchinson/Sparks coming down?

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Kasimir Kaskisuo
Joseph Woll/Ian Scott

That's a lineup without at least one of Agostino or Shore to start, or whoever loses out on a roster spot. Leafs only have 1 opening with Hyman out and 14 forwards assuming Mikheyev is as good as advertised, so someone is getting waived to play for the Marlies. When Hyman is back, someone else is going down.

It's very likely one of Gravel or Harpur get waived and sent down as well since there's 9 D but maybe they all start with the Leafs until Dermott is ready to go. I fully expect Kivihalme to be on that team to start the season at the very least.

They also just added Kapla (LHD) and Johnston (RHD), likely depth players to give them veteran depth. The addition of Johnston might be to prepare for Liljegren being with the Leafs full time too since the RHD depth was pretty strong already on the Marlies.

I suspect the Leafs/Gilman will add another AHL veteran center that can score goals in the near future... it's something they really lack right now. I hope Ferguson can translate his ECHL dominance to the AHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad