Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hailey Salvain from the Athletic projected the Marlies opening game lineup.

Mason Marchment – Adam Brooks – Bracco
Dmytro Timashov – Engvall – Yegor Korshkov
Tanner MacMaster – Brady Ferguson – Colt Conrad
Archibald – Aaron Luchuk– Justin Brazeau

Rasmus Sandin – Timothy Liljegren
Andreas Borgman – Jesper Lindgren
Kristians Rubins – Mac Hollowell/Joseph Duszak

Kasimir Kaskisuo
Joseph Woll/Ian Scott

This looks pretty close to what we might see.
I will describe the article later on for anyone who can't see it.

Yeah I doubt that.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Didn't read the article, but one of Holl/Marincin/Gravel will probably be there too. And what about Hutchinson/Sparks coming down?

There's going to be an extra forward sent down and an extra D waived and/or sent down at the very least. Once Hyman and Dermott are back, it's likely going to be another forward and D eventually. That's 4 likely pretty good players for the Marlies to insert in that lineup.

I expect Sparks to be waived and then traded if not claimed, if not flat out traded by the time training camp opens.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Hailey Salvain from the Athletic projected the Marlies opening game lineup.

Kasimir Kaskisuo
Joseph Woll/Ian Scott

This looks pretty close to what we might see.
I will describe the article later on for anyone who can't see it.
Where’s Kivi?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Hailey pointed out Marchment and Brooks have great chemistry, but they might not be the right linemates for Bracco. It might be too start but will likely change.

In the playoffs, this line was one of best for the Marlies. They were also matched up against the best lines.

The 3rd and 4th lines will likely keep.on changing, and thats where the battles will be.

Keefe has options here. He could do a physical 4th line or do a Growlers line which he is known to do.

The future of the Leafs blueline. They played for portions last year, and will certainly be the 1st pairing, but they might shuffle around young players as they become the veteran defenceman.

They were paired in the playoffs. Borgman could be poised for a breakout season. Keefe went with Lindgren despite practicing just once with the team, and played well. He knocked out Duszak from the lineup.

Rubins was with the Growlers for most of the year, but did well in the 15 games he got with the Marlies. All though if Kivihalme doesn't make the Leafs, he is taking this spot. Hollowell and Duszak battle it out for the last spot. Keefe went with Hollowell over Duszak more, but both were impressive. Marincin could also play a role here if he is sent down.

Kasimir Kaskisuo

He was one of the best players for the Marlies, and is the clear cut #1 unless he goes back to the goalie we saw for the majority in the regular season.

Joseph Woll/Ian Scott

Future of the Leafs crease but need time. Woll is likely ahead but it will be a good battle. Keefe is more familiar with Scott so maybe that gives him the edge. Hutchinson and Sparks could play a role if they get sent down.

Looking at this lineup again in more detail, I don't think its all that accurate anymore. I'm not convinced Archibald is a fixture in the lineup, and Ferguson might not even be in the lineup. The bottom 6 will probably not be the same as this one.
I don't think Hollowell and Duszak are battling for a spot, as I consider Hollowell close to a lock. I'm not criticizing Duszak as I like him as a player, but I have him behind Hollowell.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That's a lineup without at least one of Agostino or Shore to start, or whoever loses out on a roster spot. Leafs only have 1 opening with Hyman out and 14 forwards assuming Mikheyev is as good as advertised, so someone is getting waived to play for the Marlies. When Hyman is back, someone else is going down.

It's very likely one of Gravel or Harpur get waived and sent down as well since there's 9 D but maybe they all start with the Leafs until Dermott is ready to go. I fully expect Kivihalme to be on that team to start the season at the very least.

They also just added Kapla (LHD) and Johnston (RHD), likely depth players to give them veteran depth. The addition of Johnston might be to prepare for Liljegren being with the Leafs full time too since the RHD depth was pretty strong already on the Marlies.

I suspect the Leafs/Gilman will add another AHL veteran center that can score goals in the near future... it's something they really lack right now. I hope Ferguson can translate his ECHL dominance to the AHL.
Yeah I forgot about Agostino and Shore, so the bottom 6 will be different from the one posted by Hailey. I think the top 6 will be fine for the Marlies, but there questions about the bottom 6. Ferguson is a wildcard.
The strength will likely be the defence.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Didn't read the article, but one of Holl/Marincin/Gravel will probably be there too. And what about Hutchinson/Sparks coming down?
Yup, all those three could be with the Marlies as well. The same thing with Sparks and Hutchinson.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
One thing I absolutely love about the Leafs investing heavy in development is the fact that the Growlers are getting some very high quality pieces being sent their way. St. John's fans have to be ecstatic knowing they are getting quality talent tossed their way. The ECHL teams absolutely despise the Growlers and it makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
One thing I absolutely love about the Leafs investing heavy in development is the fact that the Growlers are getting some very high quality pieces being sent their way. St. John's fans have to be ecstatic knowing they are getting quality talent tossed their way. The ECHL teams absolutely despise the Growlers and it makes me feel all fuzzy inside.
Teams have complained about the Leafs stacking the Growlers, I think Dubas had a meeting or something about it lol

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Teams have complained about the Leafs stacking the Growlers lol
31 Thoughts: Could short-term deals break RFA stalemates? - Sportsnet.ca

Good nugget from one ECHL governor: several clubs were very unhappy with Newfoundland’s Kelly Cup victory, feeling the Growlers were stacked with players on AHL contracts. They thought it was a competitive imbalance and wanted to restrict the number of players with such status per roster. At the league’s Board meeting last Monday in Las Vegas, the Growlers (represented by Toronto management) didn’t back down, saying they thought it was best for the development of their prospects — that they see the Growlers as a valuable place to prepare good players who aren’t ready for the AHL. They compared it to the baseball model, where you start at Double-A and move to Triple-A before the majors. It benefits the ECHL if more teams think this way, so the temperature cooled. I thought this was pretty interesting.

As a die hard Leafs fan for a very long time. Nothing warms my heart than to hear news like this. This new regime is absolutely knocking it out of the ball park. They are abusing every possible avenue outside of the rigid salary cap to help propel future of the Leafs. We are flexing our financial muscle by giving out quality contracts to vets to help develop our young kids. We have spent numerous dollars rejuvenating the scouting staff and development staff. Nutrition, sports science team, strength and conditioning staff. We are paying our coaches top dollar. For years and years, this team had lots of money but the teachers pension fund would not invest a dime back into the team, it seemed like. Not too many forward thinkers back in the day. All of that has seem to change over these last 4-5 years. I credit Brendan Shanahan and even more so Tim Liewieke for where every Toronto sports franchise is right now outside of the Jays.

All of Argos, TFC, Marlies, Growlers and Raptors + Raptors 905 (all owned by MLSE) have won championships since Tim Liewieke took over and revamped the organizations structure and mentality. MLSE has won 6 professional championships as an organization in the last 4 years. Pretty f***ing insane to think about it, specially considering we still have a mentality that Toronto teams as a whole can't win much of anything.

This trend of winning because of tremendous organization function is what gives me the most hope for the Leafs bringing home a cup soon enough. We are 100% on the right track and the city of Toronto has all the momentum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye Test and Lauro

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
31 Thoughts: Could short-term deals break RFA stalemates? - Sportsnet.ca

As a die hard Leafs fan for a very long time. Nothing warms my heart than to hear news like this. This new regime is absolutely knocking it out of the ball park. They are abusing every possible avenue outside of the rigid salary cap to help propel future of the Leafs. We are flexing our financial muscle by giving out quality contracts to vets to help develop our young kids. We have spent numerous dollars rejuvenating the scouting staff and development staff. Nutrition, sports science team, strength and conditioning staff. We are paying our coaches top dollar. For years and years, this team had lots of money but the teachers pension fund would not invest a dime back into the team, it seemed like. Not too many forward thinkers back in the day. All of that has seem to change over these last 4-5 years. I credit Brendan Shanahan and even more so Tim Liewieke for where every Toronto sports franchise is right now outside of the Jays.

All of Argos, TFC, Marlies, Growlers and Raptors + Raptors 905 (all owned by MLSE) have won championships since Tim Liewieke took over and revamped the organizations structure and mentality. MLSE has won 6 professional championships as an organization in the last 4 years. Pretty ****ing insane to think about it, specially considering we still have a mentality that Toronto teams as a whole can't win much of anything.

This trend of winning because of tremendous organization function is what gives me the most hope for the Leafs bringing home a cup soon enough. We are 100% on the right track and the city of Toronto has all the momentum.

Why should it be the Growlers problem that other teams affiliations are cheap? lol

The ECHL has a salary cap of about $13,000 per week. Every player has to fit under that except guys that finish their junior or other seasons before joining (ex. SDA this year). So the Growlers within the realm of the league rules did nothing wrong.

Where they had the huge advantage was that the Marlies have the ability to pay all these guys near max AHL salaries with ECHL assignment clauses in them. So if they're up with the Marlies for a few weeks they can almost double their yearly salary had they just signed an ECHL contract with another team. These guys are also exempt from the veteran rules in the ECHL.

Orlando didn't seem to want to take advantage of this for some reason and the Growlers are reaping the rewards.

Reactions: SprDaVE

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Why should it be the Growlers problem that other teams affiliations are cheap? lol

The ECHL has a salary cap of about $13,000 per week. Every player has to fit under that except guys that finish their junior or other seasons before joining (ex. SDA this year). So the Growlers within the realm of the league rules did nothing wrong.

Where they had the huge advantage was that the Marlies have the ability to pay all these guys near max AHL salaries with ECHL assignment clauses in them. So if they're up with the Marlies for a few weeks they can almost double their yearly salary had they just signed an ECHL contract with another team. These guys are also exempt from the veteran rules in the ECHL.

Orlando didn't seem to want to take advantage of this for some reason and the Growlers are reaping the rewards.
You're right.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I expect different pairings for the top four, with Lili/Sandin getting an experienced partner each at least 5on5, but not too much to argue about with that lineup.
The 3rd and 4th lines are looking like open competitions with lots of options, particularly after the big roster settles (TD/ZH).
Marlies are gonna be strong and deep with plenty of upside.
Nice.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Hailey pointed out Marchment and Brooks have great chemistry, but they might not be the right linemates for Bracco. It might be too start but will likely change.

In the playoffs, this line was one of best for the Marlies. They were also matched up against the best lines.

The 3rd and 4th lines will likely keep.on changing, and thats where the battles will be.

Keefe has options here. He could do a physical 4th line or do a Growlers line which he is known to do.

The future of the Leafs blueline. They played for portions last year, and will certainly be the 1st pairing, but they might shuffle around young players as they become the veteran defenceman.

They were paired in the playoffs. Borgman could be poised for a breakout season. Keefe went with Lindgren despite practicing just once with the team, and played well. He knocked out Duszak from the lineup.

Rubins was with the Growlers for most of the year, but did well in the 15 games he got with the Marlies. All though if Kivihalme doesn't make the Leafs, he is taking this spot. Hollowell and Duszak battle it out for the last spot. Keefe went with Hollowell over Duszak more, but both were impressive. Marincin could also play a role here if he is sent down.

Kasimir Kaskisuo

He was one of the best players for the Marlies, and is the clear cut #1 unless he goes back to the goalie we saw for the majority in the regular season.

Joseph Woll/Ian Scott

Future of the Leafs crease but need time. Woll is likely ahead but it will be a good battle. Keefe is more familiar with Scott so maybe that gives him the edge. Hutchinson and Sparks could play a role if they get sent down.

Looking at this lineup again in more detail, I don't think its all that accurate anymore. I'm not convinced Archibald is a fixture in the lineup, and Ferguson might not even be in the lineup. The bottom 6 will probably not be the same as this one.
I don't think Hollowell and Duszak are battling for a spot, as I consider Hollowell close to a lock. I'm not criticizing Duszak as I like him as a player, but I have him behind Hollowell.

Not to mention that even with injuries to Dermott and Hyman, they still have too many guys up on the Leafs roster right now. Agostino, Shore, Gauthier, Petan, Moore, Marincin, Holl, Gravel, Harpur, Kivihalme, Sparks and Hutch are all on the Leafs. Unless she's factoring in additional injuries, waiver claims, trades, or Marner sitting out, that only leaves Dermott and Hyman out to start the year. Well that would give the Leafs 14 forwards, 9 defensemen and 3 goalies to start the year, so we'd need to cut at least 3 players off of that roster and add them to the Marlies.

Not to mention that bottom 6 is brutal. None of those guys should be above the 4th line except maybe a center out of necessity (I don't buy Engvall being one long term, but if they do, then it could be a winger instead). Therefore I have Conrad (or possibly Luchuk) as a top 9 center but the other guys are Agostino, Shore, Bracco, Engvall, Timashov, Korshkov, Marchment and Brooks. Then MacMaster, Luchuk/Conrad/etc., Archibald and Brazeau are the main rotary pieces on the 4th line, with Archibald being the main guy who steps up in case of injury.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I expect different pairings for the top four, with Lili/Sandin getting an experienced partner each at least 5on5, but not too much to argue about with that lineup.
The 3rd and 4th lines are looking like open competitions with lots of options, particularly after the big roster settles (TD/ZH).
Marlies are gonna be strong and deep with plenty of upside.
Nice.

They just need better center depth I think. Brooks is probably the only tested center option they have. Engvall was converted to a center and he's done okay in that aspect but I still think he'll be a winger in his NHL stints if he ever makes it. Ferguson and Luchuk are probably okay as well but after that... it gets grim and fast. I think Gilman will add one or two over the next little while, at least I hope so.

There's a couple interesting options out there. Salituro is 23 years old and had some good success at the ECHL in recent years, could the kind of center depth the Marlies look to add. Another option would be Brett Pollock with decent AHL experience and he's only 23 years old as well. Conner Bleackley is another option.

Those are younger options but I'm sure there's some veterans out there willing to go the Greening route, especially if they are coming from an Europe team. Greg Carey has been an AHL star and I think he's a free agent, so maybe the Marlies could offer him a lot of money for a year. Kalle Kossila would be fantastic as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
They just need better center depth I think. Brooks is probably the only tested center option they have. Engvall was converted to a center and he's done okay in that aspect but I still think he'll be a winger in his NHL stints if he ever makes it. Ferguson and Luchuk are probably okay as well but after that... it gets grim and fast. I think Gilman will add one or two over the next little while, at least I hope so.

There's a couple interesting options out there. Salituro is 23 years old and had some good success at the ECHL in recent years, could the kind of center depth the Marlies look to add. Another option would be Brett Pollock with decent AHL experience and he's only 23 years old as well. Conner Bleackley is another option.

Those are younger options but I'm sure there's some veterans out there willing to go the Greening route, especially if they are coming from an Europe team. Greg Carey has been an AHL star and I think he's a free agent, so maybe the Marlies could offer him a lot of money for a year. Kalle Kossila would be fantastic as well.

Elyniuk and Estephan and Bradley are also centers the Marlies could promote who did pretty well on the Rock last year. Add to that at least 1 and maybe 2 of Shore, Gauthier and Petan, I think the Marlies are fine centerwise.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Elyniuk and Estephan and Bradley are also centers the Marlies could promote who did pretty well on the Rock last year. Add to that at least 1 and maybe 2 of Shore, Gauthier and Petan, I think the Marlies are fine centerwise.

That's fair.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Not to mention that even with injuries to Dermott and Hyman, they still have too many guys up on the Leafs roster right now. Agostino, Shore, Gauthier, Petan, Moore, Marincin, Holl, Gravel, Harpur, Kivihalme, Sparks and Hutch are all on the Leafs. Unless she's factoring in additional injuries, waiver claims, trades, or Marner sitting out, that only leaves Dermott and Hyman out to start the year. Well that would give the Leafs 14 forwards, 9 defensemen and 3 goalies to start the year, so we'd need to cut at least 3 players off of that roster and add them to the Marlies.

Not to mention that bottom 6 is brutal. None of those guys should be above the 4th line except maybe a center out of necessity (I don't buy Engvall being one long term, but if they do, then it could be a winger instead). Therefore I have Conrad (or possibly Luchuk) as a top 9 center but the other guys are Agostino, Shore, Bracco, Engvall, Timashov, Korshkov, Marchment and Brooks. Then MacMaster, Luchuk/Conrad/etc., Archibald and Brazeau are the main rotary pieces on the 4th line, with Archibald being the main guy who steps up in case of injury.
Adding 3 forwards like Agostino, Shore, and Petan, they are probably playing in the middle 6, so 3 of the players in the top 6 get bumped to the 3rd or 4th line. The bottom 6 would look a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad