Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Agostino-Shore-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Timashov
Engvall-Conrad-Korshkov
MacMaster-Luchuk-Archibald
Clune/Brazeau

Sandin-Liljegren
Kivihalme-Lindgren
Marincin-Hollowell
Gravel-Duszak

Hutchinson-Woll
Kaskisuo

PP1
Agostino-Shore-Bracco
Sandin-Liljegren

PP2
Marchment-Brooks-Korshkov
Timashov-Hollowell

PK1
Shore-Engvall
Marincin-Liljegren

PK2
Brooks-Korshkov
Sandin-Lindgren

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Petan - Shore - Mikheyev
Marchment - Brooks - Timashov
UFA - Engvall - Korshkov
Archibald (AHL) - Luchuk - Brazeau (AHL)
ex. Clune (AHL) - MacMaster (AHL)

Sandin - Liljegren
Marincin - Hollowell
Gravel - Holl
ex. Kivihalme - Lindgren
Duszak

Scott
Woll
Sparks (Loan)
Kaskisuo (Loan)

PP#1
Petan - Shore - Mikheyev
Sandin - Liljegren

PP#2
Marchment - Engvall - Brooks
Timashov - Hollowell

PK#1
Shore - Mikheyev
Marincin - Liljegren

PK#2
Engvall - Korshkov
Gravel - Holl
Mikheyev is almost certainly going to be on the Leafs.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Mikheyev is almost certainly going to be on the Leafs.
I see him replacing Hyman until he returns. I see him as a Marlie when he returns. I think Bracco is more deserving and more likely to earn a top-9 spot in the immediate future, though if both are given the opportunity as I believe their production while Hyman is out could decide who stays up and who gets more development time.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I see him replacing Hyman until he returns. I see him as a Marlie when he returns. I think Bracco is more deserving and more likely to earn a top-9 spot in the immediate future, though if both are given the opportunity as I believe their production while Hyman is out could decide who stays up and who gets more development time.

He'll never be a Marlie because he won't let it happen. He signed here because he was going to get NHL ice time on a good team and likely play with guys like Matthews in a role that Bracco could never fill. If, for some reason, the Leafs decide he's not ready for an NHL job, then most likely he refuses an assignment to the AHL and heads back to Russia (or we trade him to a team that will give him an NHL opportunity).

Mikheyev is also just as deserving. He was a high end KHL player with two-way ability and is something the Leafs can actually use right now. Leafs don't need Bracco right now (at least if Marner re-signs), so even if he deserves to be here, he's probably not going to be here. He has some stuff he can still work on in the AHL and after that he likely gets a spot in the NHL somewhere.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Thanks Kiwi. I completely forgot about Luchuk.
I like Kivihalme a lot, and it's why I listed him as a possibility. I think he will be on the Leafs. He certainly is someone we can use on the Leafs.

That sounds pretty good. As Kwi nentioned though, I think Kivihalme likely starts with the Leafs. Liljegren has a strong chance to make it, but i'm only going by the assumption that none of the Marlies make the Leafs.

I really hope Archibald isn't a regular in the lineup. Based on Keefe's history, I don't think he will play him a lot.

Barring something unforseen, one of Woll or Scott are on the Marlies. I don't it makes sense to have 2 young goalies on the roster fighting each other for the starters role. They need to play so one of them should be with the Growlers.

Interesting lineup, Mikheyev is almost certain to be on the Leafs though. Peten probably starts there too. I already put my thoughts on Archibald.

Lindgren should be a main stay on the defensive core, and replace Harpur.

I put my thoughts on the goalie situation in the other comment.
Why not Archibald? He has 55 games played over the last few years in the NHL and he has pretty good production. Seems to produce at a 2nd line level in the AHL. He also fights 4-5 times a season and could serve as the resident tough guy but one that can climb the lineup.

I have Harpur in the NHL. The defense is pretty deep I don't know that Lindgren is a regular at full health.

Petan really doesn't have an NHL track record so far. He is undersized and not good enough offensively to punch his way into a top-9. I think he would be better utilized at a top-6 AHL level and his contract is useful in preventing a poach attempt for him on waivers for this season. I think the Leafs would get more out of guys like Agostino, Gauthier and Shore at a 4th line level.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He'll never be a Marlie because he won't let it happen. He signed here because he was going to get NHL ice time on a good team and likely play with guys like Matthews in a role that Bracco could never fill. If, for some reason, the Leafs decide he's not ready for an NHL job, then most likely he refuses an assignment to the AHL and heads back to Russia (or we trade him to a team that will give him an NHL opportunity).

Mikheyev is also just as deserving. He was a high end KHL player with two-way ability and is something the Leafs can actually use right now. Leafs don't need Bracco right now (at least if Marner re-signs), so even if he deserves to be here, he's probably not going to be here. He has some stuff he can still work on in the AHL and after that he likely gets a spot in the NHL somewhere.
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Kerfoot - Bracco/Mikheyev

The Leafs need a top-9 forward with the departure of Marleau. Two with Hyman out. Moore replaces Brown on line #4 as a swing man that can climb the lineup. Going from Kadri to Kerfoot depletes the talent pool. Bracco couldn't have done much more at the AHL level. Mikheyev was a great player in the KHL and I see him replacing Hyman until he comes back and playing on a line with Bracco. The less effective one can go down when he comes back and go to the first line of the Marlies. I would put Bracco as a heavy favourite right now though. Many of us haven't seen Mikheyev in game form yet, I don't want to jump the gun on his upside. Borgman, Rosen, Aaltonen and so on were highly thought of and pencilled in when they were signed by some and didn't have that type of immediate success. Hyman's injury does play into his hands in the short term.

Has he expressed the concern that he'd leave if he was demoted? He doesn't appear to have that type of bargaining power and contractually the Leafs or any team would be in their right demoting him to their affiliate. Several others before him had to develop too.

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Ilya Mikheyev is, without a doubt, playing on the team this year, and probably plays on one of the top two lines, at least while Hyman is out.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Ilya Mikheyev is, without a doubt, playing on the team this year, and probably plays on one of the top two lines, at least while Hyman is out.

Ya Hyman being out really should give him a chance to prove himself in a prime position.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Why not Archibald? He has 55 games played over the last few years in the NHL and he has pretty good production. Seems to produce at a 2nd line level in the AHL. He also fights 4-5 times a season and could serve as the resident tough guy but one that can climb the lineup.

I have Harpur in the NHL. The defense is pretty deep I don't know that Lindgren is a regular at full health.

Petan really doesn't have an NHL track record so far. He is undersized and not good enough offensively to punch his way into a top-9. I think he would be better utilized at a top-6 AHL level and his contract is useful in preventing a poach attempt for him on waivers for this season. I think the Leafs would get more out of guys like Agostino, Gauthier and Shore at a 4th line level.
Archibald is a pretty dirty player and shouldn't have a full time spot. He should have the same role as Clune as a spot duty player.

Lets say none of the Marlies make the Leafs. The defence is comprised of Lilly, Sandin, Hollowell, Borgman, Marincin, Gravel, Duszak, Lindgren.

I'm pretty sure Lindgren will have a full time spot.

Kivihalme will be with the Leafs.

Reactions: Eye Test

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Agostino-Shore-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Timashov
Engvall-Conrad-Korshkov
MacMaster-Luchuk-Archibald
Clune/Brazeau

Sandin-Liljegren
Kivihalme-Lindgren
Marincin-Hollowell
Gravel-Duszak

Hutchinson-Woll
Kaskisuo

PP1
Agostino-Shore-Bracco
Sandin-Liljegren

PP2
Marchment-Brooks-Korshkov
Timashov-Hollowell

PK1
Shore-Engvall
Marincin-Liljegren

PK2
Brooks-Korshkov
Sandin-Lindgren
This seems accurate aside from Kivihalme.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Archibald is a pretty dirty player and shouldn't have a full time spot. He should have the same role as Clune as a spot duty player.

Lets say none of the Marlies make the Leafs. The defence is comprised of Lilly, Sandin, Hollowell, Borgman, Marincin, Gravel, Duszak, Lindgren.

I'm pretty sure Lindgren will have a full time spot.

Kivihalme will be with the Leafs.
Borgman and Rosen still aren't regulars a couple years after being signed. I don't see Kivihalme being with the Leafs to start. If he did, he would be a camp surprise. Add Kivihalme to that list above and I think Lindgren is starting behind everyone but Duszak right now.

Clune isn't the same player he once was. He's a bit player for a reason now. Archibald hasn't fallen to that level yet.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
This seems accurate aside from Kivihalme.

You can swap Kivihalme and Borgman if you'd like, but I think Borgman wins out.

Kivihalme needs a year to acclimate to North American pro hockey, especially considering he wasn't exactly a star NCAA player when he was here.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Borgman and Rosen still aren't regulars a couple years after being signed. I don't see Kivihalme being with the Leafs to start. If he did, he would be a camp surprise. Add Kivihalme to that list above and I think Lindgren is starting behind every one but Duszak right now.
Lindgren is probably playing above Gravel, and Duszak. That would make the 6 defenceman Lilly, Sandin, Hollowell, Borgman, Marincin, Lindgren.
I think @SeaOfBlue is accurate with his pairings. He has Lindgren on the team even with Kivihalme also there.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think the Marlies still need another top-9 forward from the FA class. As well as a couple good depth forwards to start on the 4th line or in the press box.

Top 9 center, yes. I said Wade Megan, it could be someone else.

Depth forwards not as much. I think they like what they have, both on the Growlers and what would be available for the Marlies. They still need some guys for the Growlers, but that's about it.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You can swap Kivihalme and Borgman if you'd like, but I think Borgman wins out.

Kivihalme needs a year to acclimate to North American pro hockey, especially considering he wasn't exactly a star NCAA player when he was here.
Fair enough.
The way I see the defence is

Locks
Lilly, Sandin, Marincin, Kivihalme if he is here, Borgman

Not locks but probably on the team
Hollowell
Lindgren

Fighting to get in
Duszak(I prefer he be with the Growlers if he sitting out)
Gravel

The only Lindgren might sit out is if Kivihalme, Borgman, and none of the Marlies make the Leafs which is unlikely

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Lindgren is probably playing above Gravel, and Duszak. That would make the 6 defenceman Lilly, Sandin, Hollowell, Borgman, Marincin, Lindgren.
I think @SeaOfBlue is accurate with his pairings. He has Lindgren on the team even with Kivihalme also there.
Gravel has played 107 NHL games the past few years and just earned a one way contract. I wouldn't pencil in Lindgren above him just yet. I don't know if he has done anything particularly noteworthy yet. But, a good camp earns him more ice.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Gravel has played 107 NHL games the past few years and just earned a one way contract. I wouldn't pencil in Lindgren above him just yet. I don't know if he has done anything particularly noteworthy yet. But, a good camp earns him more ice.
If we are following Keefe's history, he won't hesitate to have a young player over an experienced defenceman. He did it in the playoffs.
Lindgren had a great year in Liga, and played pretty well in the limited games he got in the playoffs.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not at all.

I think Duszak could start with the Growlers to if they're at full health.

I'd be loathed to do that, I was highly impressed with him during the Marlies playoff run, I want to develop the young guys with talent with the Marlies and he's one of them

Hollowell
Duszak
Lindgren
Sandin
Liljegren (if he's not in the NHL)
Kivihalme (if he's not in the NHL)

If it means some vet plug doesn't play on the Marlies or sits in the press box I honestly couldn't care less

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Borgman and Rosen still aren't regulars a couple years after being signed. I don't see Kivihalme being with the Leafs to start. If he did, he would be a camp surprise. Add Kivihalme to that list above and I think Lindgren is starting behind everyone but Duszak right now.

Clune isn't the same player he once was. He's a bit player for a reason now. Archibald hasn't fallen to that level yet.

Lindgren looked more impressive than Hollowell in the few games he played in the playoffs. He's more ready for a top 4 role in the AHL than many of the prospects.

Reactions: Eye Test

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If Lindgren has a strong start the the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some NHL games next year.

He's already played heavy minutes in the Finnish League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad