Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This is what I believe is the case. STL has neither their 6th or 7th this year. So, they leave it as future considerations, and if they acquire one, they just flip it to us. If come the draft, they haven’t, they just flip is a 2021 one.

Acquiring something you don’t have can’t be a “condition”.

The real question is why do the Leafs need five 7th round picks in 2020 when you also have three 6th round picks.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This is what I believe is the case. STL has neither their 6th or 7th this year. So, they leave it as future considerations, and if they acquire one, they just flip it to us. If come the draft, they haven’t, they just flip is a 2021 one.

Acquiring something you don’t have can’t be a “condition”.
How would they send us the pick?

I keep seeing this suggested, but I've literally never seen a team just send a pick to another one, which is what we would see in this scenario. There would have to be some transaction where St. Louis sends us this pick ...for "future considerations"? to fulfill "previous considerations"?

When was the last time we'd seen anything like that? Not since the CBA update in 2005.

There's no reason to think this is a pick, and I don't think it can be.
I think it simply is just future considerations.

Reactions: LeafChief

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How would they send us the pick?

I keep seeing this suggested, but I've literally never seen a team just send a pick to another one, which is what we would see in this scenario. There would have to be some transaction where St. Louis sends us this pick ...for "future considerations"? to fulfill "previous considerations"?

When was the last time we'd seen anything like that? Not since the CBA update in 2005.

It depends

With some specific, Yes, it’s simply “Team A sends _______ to Team B to fulfil previous considerations”

However like with Vegas, with the expansion draft, the “consideration” was not selecting a specific player or selecting a specific player.

When we acquired Nic Baptiste from NSH, we did so for future considerations. We fulfilled those considerations when the Marlies traded Emerson Clark to NSH’s AHL Team.

Future Considerations isn’t always something specific.

Reactions: Its not your fault

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
It depends

With some specific, Yes, it’s simply “Team A sends _______ to Team B to fulfil previous considerations”

However like with Vegas, with the expansion draft, the “consideration” was not selecting a specific player or selecting a specific player.

When we acquired Nic Baptiste from NSH, we did so for future considerations. We fulfilled those considerations when the Marlies traded Emerson Clark to NSH’s AHL Team.

Future Considerations isn’t always something specific.
We see FC being resolved for things like the expansion draft or AHL deals, yes, but not a team just sending another one a pick. You don't see the bolded above happen anymore, and I'm pretty sure that's because FC aren't conditional picks anymore.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It wouldn't shock me if Timashov is traded this summer/before the season.

He's waiver eligible and is behind some of the other leafs prospects on the depth chart.

I'd like to keep him, but that's how the NHL works.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

He's waiver eligible and is behind some of the other leafs prospects on the depth chart.

Most likely the Leafs just put him on waivers. I don't think the Leafs are super worried about him getting claimed and one more year in the AHL may be enough for him to be something for the Leafs next year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I'm sure they would be open to it but I think they'll just waive him out. I just don't see any teams having much interest. At most he'd be traded for a similar prospect/player.

I think if he clear waivers, his value goes up since he can now move up and down without waivers for a month. Teams can test him out better without risking much of anything.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
A look behind Leafs goalie prospect Ian Scott's...
Around that time, Scott was dealing with a nagging groin injury and Daccord, Lange and athletic therapist Duane Bartley worked with him to stop it from reoccurring. They developed a new pre-stretch routine and dynamic warmup that he has made his routine every day since.

Then, with the Marlies, he could see the pieces Daccord talked about working in unison with the championship tandem of Garret Sparks and Calvin Pickard. In every on-ice session with the Leafs’ goaltending staff he felt like he was learning something new.

“When I was there I really focussed on what they did off the ice. It was really important to see the consistency and how they were able to obtain that consistency,” Scott said.

“I grew a lot with the Marlies and I understood things to do off the ice and learned the mental side of the game. Because of that I came into the season with a little more confidence.”

Bartley watched Scott make that progress firsthand during those morning routines and chats over coffee.

“He’s a really mature kid,” Bartley said. “He comes in, he does his work, he doesn’t create a whole lot of troubles for anyone. He’ll make a great professional. He’s got that mindset already. He’s now ready to go day-in and day-out. I think he’s going to have a pretty good career.”

Scott credits people like Lange, Bartley and Daccord for their time with him and Hunt and Habscheid for their belief, even when he wavered.

“They gave me everything. I owe all of my success up to this point to them. When you come to Prince Albert when you’re 16, you move away from family, you’re still becoming an adult at 16 and I can’t thank them enough,” Scott said.

By the end of the season, Hunt saw a kid who was just “business as usual.” And the Leafs were blown away by that progress.
“To take that (Marlies) experience and have the season that he just had, it’s unbelievable,” said Scott Pellerin, the Leafs’ senior director of player development. “Credit to Ian for the work that he has put in. No issues with his work ethic, that’s for sure.”

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
The real question is why do the Leafs need five 7th round picks in 2020 when you also have three 6th round picks.

I think it may be thommie Bergmans send off. cant remember where I read that he was contemplating retirement after the next season. so maybe we are stocking up on late picks to let him run the gauntlet on them, would be nice if they gave him some earlier picks to do some magic with guy has been nothing short of legendary finding all these late round gems for us

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think it may be thommie Bergmans send off. cant remember where I read that he was contemplating retirement after the next season. so maybe we are stocking up on late picks to let him run the gauntlet on them, would be nice if they gave him some earlier picks to do some magic with guy has been nothing short of legendary finding all these late round gems for us

That'll suck, but I trust our other European scouts too. Ari Vuori is quite good, and we'll see if Nordmark was right with our Finnish picks.

Ruggle

Jan 21, 2019
I'd say so. A guy who was 23 for most of last season, looked solid on a 4th line, is 6'5", hits, can skate well enough to keep up at the NHL level, and can win draws? That is not something you find very often on waivers.
Wait Gauthier hits?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Wait Gauthier hits?

He does actually. 4th on our team, and if he played more minutes, he could have easily been as high as 2nd (who only had 4 more hits). All of the guys ahead of him played more than twice the minutes.

Zaitsev was #1 with 139 in 81 games of 20:28 ATOI. Gauthier had 98 in 70 games with 8:22 ATOI.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I have come up with a potential Marlies lineup for next season. I am probably way off on the lines, but see what you guys think.

Timashov-Brooks-Bracco
Korshkov-Shore-?
Marchment-Engvall-Conrad
MacMaster-?-Baptiste

Sandin-Liljegren
Marincin-Lindgren
Borgman-Hollowell

Kaskisuo
Woll

This is assuming none of the Marlies make the Leafs.

Fighting for spots
Sapego
Possibly Kivihalme
Duszak

PP Units

I think the powerplay gets a bit interesting. I want Keefe to go with 2 defencemen on each unit, but I’m not sure he will. With the amount of young defenceman that we are likely to see this year, I want them to get as much ice time as possible. Liljegren’s powerplay time should also be increased.

1st Unit
Timashov-Brooks-Bracco
Sandin-Liljegren

2nd Unit
Korshkov-Engvall-Conrad
Hollowell-Lindgren

PK Units

1st Unit
Shore-Engvall
Marincin-Liljegren

2nd Unit
Timashov-Brooks
Sandin-Borgman

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I have come up with a potential Marlies lineup for next season. I am probably way off on the lines, but see what you guys think.

Timashov-Brooks-Bracco
Korshkov-Shore-?
Marchment-Engvall-Conrad
MacMaster-?-Baptiste

Sandin-Liljegren
Marincin-Lindgren
Borgman-Hollowell

Kaskisuo
Woll

Fighting for spots
Sapego
Possibly Kivihalme
Duszak

PP Units

I think the powerplay gets a bit interesting. I want Keefe to go with 2 defencemen on each unit, but I’m not sure he will. With the amount of young defenceman that we are likely to see this year, I want them to get as much ice time as possible. Liljegren’s powerplay time should also be increased.

1st Unit
Timashov-Brooks-Bracco
Sandin-Liljegren

2nd Unit
Korshkov-Engvall-Conrad
Hollowell-Lindgren

PK Units

1st Unit
Shore-Engvall
Marincin-Liljegren

2nd Unit
Timashov-Brooks
Sandin-Borgman

Luchuk? I'm presuming he's going to be on the Marlies somewhere Stickty
The kids a centers or possible top 9 winger from the Zaitzev trade

I'm going full savant and calling Kivihalme in the 3rd pair LD spot on the Leafs with Somebody like Marincin or Holl so he's not going to be on the Marlies imo

I've watched some video of him, I was very impressed with the way he played, he's a one man breakout and puck mover in the N/Z

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Timashov-Brooks-Bracco
Korshkov-Shore-?
Marchment-Engvall-Conrad
MacMaster-?-Baptiste

Sandin-Liljegren
Marincin-Lindgren
Borgman-Hollowell

Kaskisuo
Woll

Fighting for spots
Sapego
Possibly Kivihalme
Duszak

PP Units

1st Unit
Timashov-Brooks-Bracco
Sandin-Liljegren

2nd Unit
Korshkov-Engvall-Conrad
Hollowell-Lindgren

PK Units

1st Unit
Shore-Engvall
Marincin-Liljegren

2nd Unit
Timashov-Brooks
Sandin-Borgman

I have Shore and Liljegren on the NHL roster for sure, Possibly Timashov because of waiver eligibility and he impressed Babcock at camp last year. Assuming he's sent down though and we go with 13 forwards to start (Spezza/Shore/Gauthier all C's on the roster, I would have this:

Timashov-Engvall-Korshkov
Marchment-Brooks-Bracco
Archibald-Luchuk-Brazeau

Then some combination of Pooley/Ferguson/Macmaster/Estephan/Conrad

Sandin-Lindgren
Borgman-Hollowell
Kivihalme/Harpur/Gravel/Marincin-Duszak
Rubins

Whichever 3 LD don't make the roster rotate in with Borgman, 3 RD should be playing pretty much every game.

Goalies who knows. Hopefully we find a way to get one of Woll/Scott to the Marlies. Maybe loan Kaskisuo again.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'm sure they would be open to it but I think they'll just waive him out. I just don't see any teams having much interest. At most he'd be traded for a similar prospect/player.

I think if he clear waivers, his value goes up since he can now move up and down without waivers for a month. Teams can test him out better without risking much of anything.

I agree. It's just (despite being a lesser player) after the Leivo situation last year, I don't know anymore that the Leafs would keep a player up that the coach has little intention of playing but being worried of the asset (see nick petan)

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Most likely the Leafs just put him on waivers. I don't think the Leafs are super worried about him getting claimed and one more year in the AHL may be enough for him to be something for the Leafs next year.

I think he has 15 goal nhl upside or so realistically. If he gets claimed, he gets claimed.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Timashov-Brooks-Bracco
Korshkov-Shore-?
Marchment-Engvall-Conrad
MacMaster-?-Baptiste

Sandin-Liljegren
Marincin-Lindgren
Borgman-Hollowell

Kaskisuo
Woll

Fighting for spots
Sapego
Possibly Kivihalme
Duszak

PP Units

1st Unit
Timashov-Brooks-Bracco
Sandin-Liljegren

2nd Unit
Korshkov-Engvall-Conrad
Hollowell-Lindgren

PK Units

1st Unit
Shore-Engvall
Marincin-Liljegren

2nd Unit
Timashov-Brooks
Sandin-Borgman
Petan - Shore - Mikheyev
Marchment - Brooks - Timashov
UFA - Engvall - Korshkov
Archibald (AHL) - Luchuk - Brazeau (AHL)
ex. Clune (AHL) - MacMaster (AHL)

Sandin - Liljegren
Marincin - Hollowell
Gravel - Holl
ex. Kivihalme - Lindgren
Duszak

Scott
Woll
Sparks (Loan)
Kaskisuo (Loan)

PP#1
Petan - Shore - Mikheyev
Sandin - Liljegren

PP#2
Marchment - Engvall - Brooks
Timashov - Hollowell

PK#1
Shore - Mikheyev
Marincin - Liljegren

PK#2
Engvall - Korshkov
Gravel - Holl

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Luchuk? I'm presuming he's going to be on the Marlies somewhere Stickty
The kids a centers or possible top 9 winger from the Zaitzev trade

I'm going full savant and calling Kivihalme in the 3rd pair LD spot on the Leafs with Somebody like Marincin or Holl so he's not going to be on the Marlies imo

I've watched some video of him, I was very impressed with the way he played, he's a one man breakout and puck mover in the N/Z
Thanks Kiwi. I completely forgot about Luchuk.
I like Kivihalme a lot, and it's why I listed him as a possibility. I think he will be on the Leafs. He certainly is someone we can use on the Leafs.

I have Shore and Liljegren on the NHL roster for sure, Possibly Timashov because of waiver eligibility and he impressed Babcock at camp last year. Assuming he's sent down though and we go with 13 forwards to start (Spezza/Shore/Gauthier all C's on the roster, I would have this:

Timashov-Engvall-Korshkov
Marchment-Brooks-Bracco
Archibald-Luchuk-Brazeau

Then some combination of Pooley/Ferguson/Macmaster/Estephan/Conrad

Sandin-Lindgren
Borgman-Hollowell
Kivihalme/Harpur/Gravel/Marincin-Duszak
Rubins

Whichever 3 LD don't make the roster rotate in with Borgman, 3 RD should be playing pretty much every game.

Goalies who knows. Hopefully we find a way to get one of Woll/Scott to the Marlies. Maybe loan Kaskisuo again.
That sounds pretty good. As Kwi nentioned though, I think Kivihalme likely starts with the Leafs. Liljegren has a strong chance to make it, but i'm only going by the assumption that none of the Marlies make the Leafs.

I really hope Archibald isn't a regular in the lineup. Based on Keefe's history, I don't think he will play him a lot.

Barring something unforseen, one of Woll or Scott are on the Marlies. I don't it makes sense to have 2 young goalies on the roster fighting each other for the starters role. They need to play so one of them should be with the Growlers.

Petan - Shore - Mikheyev
Marchment - Brooks - Timashov
UFA - Engvall - Korshkov
Archibald (AHL) - Luchuk - Brazeau (AHL)
ex. Clune (AHL) - MacMaster (AHL)

Sandin - Liljegren
Marincin - Hollowell
Gravel - Holl
ex. Kivihalme - Lindgren
Duszak

Scott
Woll
Sparks (Loan)
Kaskisuo (Loan)

PP#1
Petan - Shore - Mikheyev
Sandin - Liljegren

PP#2
Marchment - Engvall - Brooks
Timashov - Hollowell

PK#1
Shore - Mikheyev
Marincin - Liljegren

PK#2
Engvall - Korshkov
Gravel - Holl

Interesting lineup, Mikheyev is almost certain to be on the Leafs though. Peten probably starts there too. I already put my thoughts on Archibald.

Lindgren should be a main stay on the defensive core, and replace Harpur.

I put my thoughts on the goalie situation in the other comment.

Reactions: Kiwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad