Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Not a bad guy for a 4th line. Adds some physicality to the lineup which is nice. He was someone who could have been in line for an SPC but this is probably a better deal for him.

Marlies still need to add a center though IMO. Not sure they can have two of Aaron Luchuk, Colt Conrad, Riley Woods or Growlers occupying their bottom 6 center job. I'd be fine with Aaron Luchuk possibly playing in a top 9 role with a couple of good wingers, but I'd want to sign a strong vet center (either on an AHL deal or NHL deal) to replace Greening and potentially be able to step up in the lineup.

Kind of like what Jooris was supposed to be, but obviously better. Perhaps a full-time center version of Adam Cracknell, like Wade Megan.

Agostino-Shore-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Timashov
Engvall-Luchuk/Megan-Korshkov
Ferguson-Luchuk/Megan-Archibald
Clune

+ Brazeau, Woods, M. Bradley, O'Brien, Power, Conrad, T. Bradley and Pooley for the Growlers/competition.

Good odds Gauthier is back on the Marlies this year. Agostino is more likely on the Leafs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What? Darren Archibald plays LW but he's mostly played RW for the past few years. I guess you can put him over to the LW instead of Ferguson but Brazeau is going to have to win his spot... It's not going to be given to him.

I wouldn’t at all be shocked to see Brazeau start in the ECHL.

Most of the young AHL contract guys did it this season. Dubas sees it as a viable tool.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wouldn’t at all be shocked to see Brazeau start in the ECHL.

Most of the young AHL contract guys did it this season. Dubas sees it as a viable tool.

That's what I am saying. I think he has the best shot out of any of the younger AHL contracts, even the ones who were brought back (like Matt Bradley), but the Marlies are going to have older guys higher up in their lineup as is. They need to replace Jooris, Greening and Mueller. Shore, Agostino and Archibald are a good start for doing that, but they should still add one more guy IMO.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That's what I am saying. I think he has the best shot out of any of the younger AHL contracts, even the ones who were brought back (like Matt Bradley), but the Marlies are going to have older guys higher up in their lineup as is. They need to replace Jooris, Greening and Mueller. Shore, Agostino and Archibald are a good start for doing that, but they should still add one more guy IMO.

Agostino and Shore haven't even been officially signed.

Assuming they will, Agostino to me will be in the NHL, at least until Hyman is back. One of Gauthier or Shore will be put on waivers and sent down though.

Jooris doesn't need much replacing TBH.

Reactions: Boutette

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Doesn't Gauthier need to pass through Waivers now? He'll get plucked off for sure if that happens.

I rather doubt that. And if so? Congrats to the team carrying him as their 13th or 14th forward or 5th or 6th center, which is his highest place on the Leafs right now.

Reactions: matrixtrippin

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Doesn't Gauthier need to pass through Waivers now? He'll get plucked off for sure if that happens.

I'd say so. A guy who was 23 for most of last season, looked solid on a 4th line, is 6'5", hits, can skate well enough to keep up at the NHL level, and can win draws? That is not something you find very often on waivers.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm not convinced Agostino and Shore aren't destined to play for the Marlies off the bat. Gauthier and Petan are younger and treated as having more room for growth. Plus there are probably still a few free agents lingering who may take a sub $1M deal.

Shore's play declined in each season since his debut in terms of hits and faceoff wins before departing for the KHL. Agostino has been a free agent for 4 consecutive summers. No team has treated him as a "must sign". I think he has been acquired to offensively dominate the AHL for the Marlies for the next two seasons.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm not convinced Agostino and Shore aren't destined to play for the Marlies off the bat. Gauthier and Petan are younger and treated as having more room for growth. Plus there are probably still a few free agents lingering who may take a sub $1M deal.

Shore's play declined in each season since his debut in terms of hits and faceoff wins before departing for the KHL. Agostino has been a free agent for 4 consecutive summers. No team has treated him as a "must sign". I think he has been acquired to offensively dominate the AHL for the Marlies for the next two seasons.

They're veteran depth as far as I'm concerned. There to push the youngsters into winning jobs, especially on the PK.

I could see them on the Leafs as easily as I could see them on the Marlies

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
They're veteran depth as far as I'm concerned. There to push the youngsters into winning jobs, especially on the PK.

I could see them on the Leafs as easily as I could see them on the Marlies

Well they are going to have an uphill battle to win a top 12 job (unless you count replacing Hyman for likely less than 10 games as winning) since Gauthier is better than Shore and Agostino's only shot at an NHL job is by beating Trevor Moore. I seriously doubt they are kept over Petan as depth forwards when Petan is a much more valuable asset to risk and is far more likely to get claimed, and that's not exactly "winning a job" either.

Not to mention the Marlies need Nick Shore desperately (Brooks is really the only other bonafide center on the team right now; Luchuk and Co. are wildcards at best) and Agostino is a better fit for what the Marlies (and more importantly, Bracco) need than Petan. Agostino-Shore-Bracco has the skill and style-chemistry to allow all three of them to become easy PPG+ players next year. Wouldn't even be shocked to see someone like Bracco push 100 points, which hasn't happened for 10 years in the AHL (even longer if you only consider legit prospects).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Lol the actual team account had to comment

Franson could probably get an NHL deal if he came back. I don't think he's good enough for the NHL, but he'd be getting something guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad