Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Perfect. I like Rubins in there too. Young enough to keep around to see if he develops at all.

Agreed. I had Rubins in a lot of my mock drafts, and was happy when we signed him to an AHL deal.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
haha you need to learn how to read. The initial post said the coaching staff needs to tell Gauthier to "bang bodies". I asked if he does that.

Well then you should have been happy to hear that he led the team's forwards in hits per 60.

I'm aware how JVR plays. I'm talking about how some fans wanted to turn him into Lucic.

Which I've never heard anyone say ever. One of the reasons Philly dealt him to the Leafs was because it was understood that he'd never become that type of forward.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Nick Shore's hits and faceoff wins have dropped every year since he entered the league as a full time player. There's a reason why he ended up in the KHL last season.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Having trouble wrapping my head around a cohesive ranking. Imo our pool is 9 guys and then everyone else- The blue chip D (Sandin+Liljegren), the high upside forwards (Robertson/SDA/Bracco), goalies (Woll/Scott), the "graduation is a formality" (Moore/Mikheyev). Other than having the two dmen at the top I think you can make an argument for a lot of different orders.

After that I need to break it up by position and age.
Underlined in the younger group = legitimate prospect, top 6/4 upside, more than just a project.
Underlined in the older group = potential multi-year roster player, not just call up/depth/ tweener fodder

97 and younger F
Stotts
Holmberg
Abramov

Kara
Kizimov
Abruzzese
Luchuk
Chebykin

97 and Younger D
Kokkonen*
Hollowell
Lindgren
Rasanen
Kral

Dusczak
Loponen
Greenway
O'Connell

96 and Older F
Brooks
Korshkov

Engvall
Marchment
Timashov
Bobylev

96 and Older D
Kivihalme
Borgman

11 guys underlined that IMO would make up the rest of our top 20

edit, forgot Kral

Last edited:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I wish we could hit on one legitimate star level player from our prospect pool. I don't think we have one right now. I'm talking a Johnny Guadreau type of a hit. If we can get that 5th forward that can be elite behind Matthews/ Marner/ JT/ Willy, it could push us over the hump in the playoffs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wheeler released a big write up of his Leafs top 30 prospect ranking yesterday.

Wheeler: The complete Maple Leafs prospect rankings, summer...

Top 10:
  1. Rasmus Sandin, LHD, 19 (Toronto Marlies)
  2. Timothy Liljegren, RHD, 20 (Toronto Marlies)
  3. Jeremy Bracco, RW, 22 (Toronto Marlies)
  4. Mikko Kokkonen, LHD, 18 (Jukurit)
  5. Nick Robertson, LW, 17 (Peterborough Petes)
  6. Joseph Woll, G, 20 (Boston College/Toronto Marlies/Newfoundland Growlers)
  7. Mac Hollowell, RHD, 20 (Toronto Marlies)
  8. Joey Duszak, RHD, 21 (Toronto Marlies)
  9. Ian Scott, G, 20 (Prince Albert/Marlies/Growlers)
  10. Mikhail Abramov, C/RW, 18 (Victoriaville Tigres)

I'd bump down Abramov quite a bit and have SDA (currently 11th) in the top 10. I also have Lindgren (17) higher and feel like he's a lot more likely to make it than Koster and Kral (13 and 14). Holmberg (20) is also higher in my ranking but he did have a bit of a weak 2nd half.

Overall, it was a good read.

Reactions: biotk

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A couple new additions. Zhukov is pretty interesting. Unsigned 2017 4th round pick goaltender of the Golden Knights.

Reactions: Magic Man

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A couple new additions. Zhukov is pretty interesting. Unsigned 2017 4th round pick goaltender of the Golden Knights.

Sapego was a nice addition. He's a late 99' birthday and has great skill. The Marlies are a little bit stacked on defense right now but he could be a very interesting option going forward.

Reactions: Magic Man

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sapego was a nice addition. He's a late 99' birthday and has great skill. The Marlies are a little bit stacked on defense right now but he could be a very interesting option going forward.

It's ok that the Marlies are stacked. These signings feel more like Growlers signings to me. Power was a nearly PPG C with the Growlers last year. Maybe he continues to play a leading role with them, maybe he earns his way up to the Marlies. As you say, Sapego is a tall LHD, who had decent stats on a strong Prince Albert WHL team last year. He probably starts in the ECHL, but you never know what some of these guys could eventually turn into. Maybe just a serviceable minors guy, maybe he works his way up, but always good to have guys in the system.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Sarpego is interesting as well, should do really for your Marlies - obviously depends on the role -
I followed his last season in the WHL.

Outside Pachal, Sarpego was Raiders best d-man last season,
their absolute best d-man in the play-offs. (led the Raiders in play-offs +/- with +17 and in points)

Scored 10 goals and 44 points with +/- of +43, added another 15 points (3 goals) in 23 play-off games.

Played in the U20 WJC div-1 for Belarus, scored 3 goals, 0 assists in 5 games.

Reactions: Lauro

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah I wasn't sure if he was the same Sapego we invited to developmental camp, but he is the same one.
I'm happy to add him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sarpego is interesting as well, should do really for your Marlies - obviously depends on the role -
I followed his last season in the WHL.

Outside Pachal, Sarpego was Raiders best d-man last season,
their absolute best d-man in the play-offs. (led the Raiders in play-offs +/- with +17 and in points)

Scored 10 goals and 44 points with +/- of +43, added another 15 points (3 goals) in 23 play-off games.

Played in the U20 WJC div-1 for Belarus, scored 3 goals, 0 assists in 5 games.
Thanks George as always. Willing to give a bit of a scouting report on him?
@SeaOfBlue said he is 2 way PMD that also has a physical aspect to him? Sound about right?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Dubas is going to stack the ECHL team again, those other teams are going to snap lol

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
What’s the deal with Luchuk?

He's a toss in to even out contracts, but he could have a decent chance of being the Marlies' 3C next year. Belleville wasn't a great team last year but he still put up a similar pace as Adam Brooks at the same age.

I would think the Leafs bring in another center in the mix to place in the top 9 with Shore and Brooks, but perhaps they trust Luchuk enough to play up with good wingers (which he would have).

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Abruzzese and others alike. Can somebody explain to me how it works with these kids who are just starting university.

Does that mean we have to wait 4 years for them to finish education? Or if they are good enough say after 2 years do they take the risk and stop their degrees to join here?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Abruzzese and others alike. Can somebody explain to me how it works with these kids who are just starting university.

Does that mean we have to wait 4 years for them to finish education? Or if they are good enough say after 2 years do they take the risk and stop their degrees to join here?

In the OHL at the very least, they already being University courses. I'm sure it's the same everywhere else.

You can take courses over those two years, which is probably the equivalence of one year of school (if he was diligent, which if he's going to Harvard, he likely is). So he could probably finish the rest of his degree over 3 or 4 years (if he wants a Masters or something).

If he leaves after 2 years, he could also continue taking courses in the summer or something. That happens too for a lot of guys.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
If the rumors are true and Dermott is going to be playing on the right when he gets off injury to push down Ceci it looks like Liljegren will get another year in the minors but will hopefully get called up

Here's to hoping Ceci actually plays well and pushes Dermott back to the left side

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If the rumors are true and Dermott is going to be playing on the right when he gets off injury to push down Ceci it looks like Liljegren will get another year in the minors but will hopefully get called up

Here's to hoping Ceci actually plays well and pushes Dermott back to the left side
giphy.gif

missed those rumours...who what where

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
giphy.gif

missed those rumours...who what where

There were never official rumours, but Dermott spent a good chunk of time at RD after the Leafs acquired Muzzin, Dubas said we had more time for our prospects (i.e. Liljegren is going to the AHL again), and we just acquired three potential 6/7 LD options in the past week (Gravel, Marincin and Harpur) to add to Borgman. All four are lightyears ahead of Holl in terms of NHL ability and potential.

That tells me that unless a RD prospect (or Holl) forces Babcock's hand, Babcock is likely playing Dermott at RD.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
There were never official rumours, but Dermott spent a good chunk of time at RD after the Leafs acquired Muzzin, Dubas said we had more time for our prospects (i.e. Liljegren is going to the AHL again), and we just acquired three potential 6/7 LD options in the past week (Gravel, Marincin and Harpur) to add to Borgman. All four are lightyears ahead of Holl in terms of NHL ability and potential.

That tells me that unless a RD prospect (or Holl) forces Babcock's hand, Babcock is likely playing Dermott at RD.
I see. I agree if Dermott can switch to RD having a top four of Rielly, Barrie, Muzzin and Dermott is very good. Then next year have Sandin and Liljegren come up, looking pretty good on the back end for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad