Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Gauthier has a better shot than Agostino. Kerfoot was used more as a winger than as a center, and only played there semi-occasionally. Besides that, Spezza is not a good fit for a 4th line. He is going to need to play in a more offensive role than our 4th line plays, and with more talented players, in order to be effective. 3C makes a lot more sense for him.

Unless Kerfoot is moved, Agostino is on the outside looking in. Shore is the only one who could possibly knock Gauthier out, but Gauthier has the inside track and considering he is the better defensive player, I'd expect him to win.

Shore’s better defensively, and has elite penalty kill results.

Reactions: Macallan18

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Shore’s better defensively, and has elite penalty kill results.

Yet he couldn't find a single team to give him a shot last year and was bounced around by three teams, including a playoff team who brought in a vet to upgrade him? :huh:

This after the season when he put up his best defensive numbers while maintaining his offense?

Meanwhile Gauthier beats out an older 4C for a full time job on a contender, didn't give it up or get replaced at the TDL unlike our 4C's in previous years, and continuously got better as the year progressed. He's also a lot better on draws, is more physical, has more size, and is only going to get better. Shore is what he is, and it is a borderline 4C at best.

Shore is going to have to show up, because right now it is Gauthier's spot.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Gauthier has a better shot than Agostino. Kerfoot was used more as a winger than as a center, and only played there semi-occasionally. Besides that, Spezza is not a good fit for a 4th line. He is going to need to play in a more offensive role than our 4th line plays, and with more talented players, in order to be effective. 3C makes a lot more sense for him.

Unless Kerfoot is moved, Agostino is on the outside looking in. Shore is the only one who could possibly knock Gauthier out, but Gauthier has the inside track and considering he is the better defensive player, I'd expect him to win.

"Gauthier has the inside track"

Gauthier could be done in the NHL if he doesn't impress in camp. Even Nick Shore has more offense in his game than goat.

Kerfoot is great on faceoffs and is a possession monster. He will play 3C for the leafs and chip in 40 points. Spezza is too slow now to be an offensive catalyst. He's basically reduced to a mentoring role and the PK on the 4th line.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I like the Goat more than most, but I don't see a spot for him anymore really. Unless they do something weird, like play him and Spezza together on the fourth line or something.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
They have 23 roster spots. Still makes some sense to keep Gauthier on the roster for asset management purposes. I think he could line up at wing and they could tell him to bang bodies.

I think Gauthier is better than Shore personally. I think they're the extras up front.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
They have 23 roster spots. Still makes some sense to keep Gauthier on the roster for asset management purposes. I think he could line up at wing and they could tell him to bang bodies.

I think Gauthier is better than Shore personally. I think they're the extras up front.
he's literally never done this in his career

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
he's literally never done this in his career

He had 98 hits in 8:22 minutes of ice time on average over 70 games.

That was 4th on our team. 1st was Zaitsev with 139 in 20:28 over 81 games. Hyman was 2nd with 102 in 17:17 over 71 games. Dermott was 3rd with 100 in 17:18 over 64 games.

5th had 92 hits. All of these guys play twice as much as Gauthier, yet he's still up there in hits.

He's not going to lay out big hits or anything, but he uses his body effectively.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
Gauthier is a useful player as a 12/13/14 forward.
He is excellent center depth and can play the 4th line center position with ease.
His size is great!
He is good at faceoffs and he is good on the PK.

He is the type of player that you need come playoff time, as a 4th liner or as a spare for injuries.

All that being said our center depth most likely: Tavares, Matthews, Kerfoot, Spezza, Gauthier, Shore

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Current Marlies roster (not set lines):

Timashov - Brooks - Bracco
Marchment - Engvall - Korshkov
*** - Luchuck - Brazeau
*** - Woods - ***

Borgman - Liljegren
Kivihalme - Lindgren
Sandin - Hollowell
Gravel - Duszack

I don't know which Growlers are still under contract at the AHL level, I assume there would be some promotion there but others may look for opportunity elsewhere also. I would be interested in seeing Bradley, Ferguson, Pooley, Estephan, Elyniuk, O'Brien promoted to the big group if they are interested in coming back. The team won the championship so I think some of them deserve it for sure. Forward ranks are looking a bit thin anyways, although I know some players like Shore for example could end up down here eventually.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Current Marlies roster (not set lines):

Timashov - Brooks - Bracco
Marchment - Engvall - Korshkov
*** - Luchuck - Brazeau
*** - Woods - ***

Borgman - Liljegren
Kivihalme - Lindgren
Sandin - Hollowell
Gravel - Duszack

I don't know which Growlers are still under contract at the AHL level, I assume there would be some promotion there but others may look for opportunity elsewhere also. I would be interested in seeing Bradley, Ferguson, Pooley, Estephan, Elyniuk, O'Brien promoted to the big group if they are interested in coming back. The team won the championship so I think some of them deserve it for sure. Forward ranks are looking a bit thin anyways, although I know some players like Shore for example could end up down here eventually.

Sounds about right. Very likely to see one or two of Agostino, Shore, Gauthier or perhaps even Petan end up there. It will depend on performance and what not.

I'd expect maybe one more forward on a NHL contract added specifically to be on the Marlies. Not sure who but I'm sure there's one out there that fits. I'd expect one or two more AHL veterans added.

As far as the current AHL players, I think the names you listed are still around.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Why does everyone keep putting Brazeau on the wing he’s a natural centre and should be developed as one.

upload_2019-7-3_9-29-8.png

upload_2019-7-3_9-53-46.png

upload_2019-7-3_9-54-55.png

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Ah yes, moving the arguments goal posts when someone provides facts that refute the initial point being made.
In your opinion is Gauthier a gritty player? Does he "bang bodies"? I swear people on this board have this idea that the coaching staff can just tell a big player to be meaner and they'll do it, even though they're not aggressive in nature. I heard the same crap when fans thought JVR can suddenly become a bruising power forward because he's 6'3

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Alright. Brought back most of the good Growlers. Kestner and Piccinich were already replaced with other, younger guys.

I'm surprised Brady Ferguson didn't move on. Maybe he makes the Marlies next year, because he could easily be on a lot of AHL teams right now. O'Brien could as well, but at least he's from NFLD so he may have just been happy to play at home while still making an AHL salary.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
In your opinion is Gauthier a gritty player? Does he "bang bodies"? I swear people on this board have this idea that the coaching staff can just tell a big player to be meaner and they'll do it, even though they're not aggressive in nature. I heard the same crap when fans thought JVR can suddenly become a bruising power forward because he's 6'3

Another fail. JVR gets his goals around the net while taking a ton of physical abuse. You've got to get past this mindset that a big player isn't contributing unless he's putting the opposition in the hospital. It's never been true.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Another fail. JVR gets his goals around the net while taking a ton of physical abuse. You've got to get past this mindset that a big player isn't contributing unless he's putting the opposition in the hospital. It's never been true.
haha you need to learn how to read. The initial post said the coaching staff needs to tell Gauthier to "bang bodies". I asked if he does that. I never said anything about the need to put anyone in the hospital, I'm saying that fans see a player's size and hope they can just flip a switch and be imposing physical players despite not being that player for their entire career to that point.

I'm aware how JVR plays. I'm talking about how some fans wanted to turn him into Lucic. JVR took abuse in front of the net but he was never an aggressive player with an edge.

Another fail lol learn to read

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Yet he couldn't find a single team to give him a shot last year and was bounced around by three teams, including a playoff team who brought in a vet to upgrade him? :huh:

This after the season when he put up his best defensive numbers while maintaining his offense?

Meanwhile Gauthier beats out an older 4C for a full time job on a contender, didn't give it up or get replaced at the TDL unlike our 4C's in previous years, and continuously got better as the year progressed. He's also a lot better on draws, is more physical, has more size, and is only going to get better. Shore is what he is, and it is a borderline 4C at best.

Shore is going to have to show up, because right now it is Gauthier's spot.
Yeah, if all those really clever NHL gm's passed over Shore, he can't be very good? Or the gm's have blinkers on? See discussion re DeBrincat.
I think training camp will be very interesting. I don't think Gauthier is an NHL player, and Shore will outperform him.
Having said that, Babcock does love Gauthiers height.
Go figure.

Reactions: Animal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad