Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Top 30 Leafs Prospects (1996 and younger)
1) RD Timothy Liljegren
2) LD Rasmus Sandin
3) RW Jeremy Bracco
4) LW/C Nicolas Robertson
5) G Joseph Woll
6) G Ian Scott
7) RD Mikko Kokkonen
8) RD Jesper Lindgren
9) LW/RW Yegor Korshkov
10) C Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
11) RD Mac Hollowell
12) LW/RW Pierre Engvall
13) C Adam Brooks
14) C/RW Mikhail Abramov
15) RD Eemeli Rasanen
16) C Nick Abrusseze
17) RW/LW Michael Carcone
18) LW/RW Dmytro Timashov
19) RW/LW Martins Dzierkals
20) LD Michael Koster
21) RD Joseph Duszak
22) C Riley Stotts
23) LD Filip Kral
24) LD JD Greenway
25) C/LW Pontus Holmberg
26) RW Semyon Kizimov
27) LW Vladislav Kara
28) RD Kalle Loponen
29) LW/RW Nikolai Chebykin
30) LD Ryan O'Connell

Missed the cut: LW/RW Vladimir Bobylev and G Zachary Bouthillier (& Dakota Joshua but apparently we are going to let his rights expire so I didn't count him).

Loponen should be higher. Probably after Kral.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Loponen should be higher. Probably after Kral.

I have concerns with his IQ. Everyone after 20 could explode next year though. I really wanted to include Bobylev on this list too but ultimately O'Connell's upside wins out.

The high end is still lacking, and we need more center prospects even after adding a couple in the 4th round this year, but this is not a bad group of 96' and under guys.

Also remember that our prospect pool has a bunch of quality prospects who are over 96' but could easily challenge for a Leafs job next year: Kivihalme, Rosen, Borgman, Petan, Aaltonen, Moore, Mikheyev, etc.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I have concerns with his IQ. Everyone after 20 could explode next year though. I really wanted to include Bobylev on this list too but ultimately O'Connell's upside wins out.

The high end is still lacking, and we need more center prospects even after adding a couple in the 4th round this year, but this is not a bad group of 96' and under guys.

Also remember that our prospect pool has a bunch of quality prospects who are over 96' but could easily challenge for a Leafs job next year: Kivihalme, Rosen, Borgman, Petan, Aaltonen, Moore, Mikheyev, etc.

I'm not sure Aaltonen will be back but he's a better option than Gauthier.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Duszak should be higher as well. He dominated NCAA and looked good in the AHL playoffs. I'd put Duszak behind Abramov.

Reactions: supermann_98

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
1) RD Timothy Liljegren
2) LD Rasmus Sandin
3) RW Jeremy Bracco
5) G Joseph Woll
6) G Ian Scott
7) RD Mikko Kokkonen
8) RD Jesper Lindgren
9) LW/RW Yegor Korshkov
11) RD Mac Hollowell
12) LW/RW Pierre Engvall
13) C Adam Brooks
14) C/RW Mikhail Abramov
15) RD Eemeli Rasanen
16) C Nick Abrusseze
20) LD Michael Koster
21) RD Joseph Duszak
22) C Riley Stotts
23) LD Filip Kral
24) LD JD Greenway
25) C/LW Pontus Holmberg
26) RW Semyon Kizimov
27) LW Vladislav Kara
28) RD Kalle Loponen
30) LD Ryan O'Connell

Missed the cut: LW/RW Vladimir Bobylev and G Zachary Bouthillier (& Dakota Joshua but apparently we are going to let his rights expire so I didn't count him).

Not bad, I'd put SDA lower as he had an underwhelming D+1 season .. Lots of upside though.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
1) RD Timothy Liljegren
2) LD Rasmus Sandin
3) RW Jeremy Bracco
5) G Joseph Woll
6) G Ian Scott
7) RD Mikko Kokkonen
8) RD Jesper Lindgren
9) LW/RW Yegor Korshkov
11) RD Mac Hollowell
12) LW/RW Pierre Engvall
13) C Adam Brooks
14) C/RW Mikhail Abramov
15) RD Eemeli Rasanen
16) C Nick Abrusseze
20) LD Michael Koster
21) RD Joseph Duszak
22) C Riley Stotts
23) LD Filip Kral
24) LD JD Greenway
25) C/LW Pontus Holmberg
26) RW Semyon Kizimov
27) LW Vladislav Kara
28) RD Kalle Loponen
30) LD Ryan O'Connell

Thanks for all this work!
Some thoughts about the young defensemen in particular. We might get some sense about where the young blueliners stand in the estimation of the organization by their ice time in the Marlies playoff run. Nothing like ice time to tell a player what the coaches are really thinking!

To the best of my knowledge, all the young defenders who were on the Marlins roster were healthy, with the possible exception of Rasenen. Here are their games played:

13 games. Liljegren and Sandin
They played the most games and very few of us would doubt they are the top prospects
9 games. Hollowell
4 games. Duszak and Lindgren
0 games Rasanen

Maybe there were circumstances I don’t know about or have forgotten that led to this distribution of ice time, but failing that, I think I would rate the defenders in more or less that order.

PS. Among the forwards Korshkov also played 9 games.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Duszak should be higher as well. He dominated NCAA and looked good in the AHL playoffs. I'd put Duszak behind Abramov.

I feel like he doesn't have noticeably more upside than anyone in the top 20, and I think he's a longer shot pretty much all of them.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Thanks for all this work!
Some thoughts about the young defensemen in particular. We might get some sense about where the young blueliners stand in the estimation of the organization by their ice time in the Marlies playoff run. Nothing like ice time to tell a player what the coaches are really thinking!

To the best of my knowledge, all the young defenders who were on the Marlins roster were healthy, with the possible exception of Rasenen. Here are their games played:

13 games. Liljegren and Sandin
They played the most games and very few of us would doubt they are the top prospects
9 games. Hollowell
4 games. Duszak and Lindgren
0 games Rasanen

Maybe there were circumstances I don’t know about or have forgotten that led to this distribution of ice time, but failing that, I think I would rate the defenders in more or less that order.

PS. Among the forwards Korshkov also played 9 games.

Lindgren arrived late and came off of a Liiga Championship, so that is why he got fewer games. I liked him more than Hollowell, not that he did poorly himself, which is why they are pretty close together. Lindgren is closer to the NHL (partially because he's older) and I think Lindgren has more upside than Hollowell as well.

I like Rasanen's upside more than I like Duszak. Rasanen has more work to do with his skating, but he's also two years younger and Duszak needs work defensively. I don't think Duszak has enough offensively to be a purely offensive defenseman in the NHL, and he'd need to improve defensively to not be that type of guy. Rasanen needs skating work, but he's strong in his own zone and has offensive upside. I think even if he does not reach his full potential, he can still be a very useful NHL player.

Reactions: Eye Test

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
1) RD Timothy Liljegren
2) LD Rasmus Sandin
3) RW Jeremy Bracco
5) G Joseph Woll
6) G Ian Scott
7) RD Mikko Kokkonen
8) RD Jesper Lindgren
9) LW/RW Yegor Korshkov
11) RD Mac Hollowell
12) LW/RW Pierre Engvall
13) C Adam Brooks
14) C/RW Mikhail Abramov
15) RD Eemeli Rasanen
16) C Nick Abrusseze
20) LD Michael Koster
21) RD Joseph Duszak
22) C Riley Stotts
23) LD Filip Kral
24) LD JD Greenway
25) C/LW Pontus Holmberg
26) RW Semyon Kizimov
27) LW Vladislav Kara
28) RD Kalle Loponen
30) LD Ryan O'Connell

My cutoff is Calder eligibility:

1. Timothy Liljegren
2. Rasmus Sandin
3. Ilya Mikheyev
4. Jeremy Bracco
5. Nicholas Robertson
6. Mikko Kokkonen
7. Trevor Moore
8. Calle Rosén
9. Joseph Woll
10. Ian Scott
11. Jesper Lindgren
12. Yegor Korshkov
13. Teemu Kivihalme
14. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
15. Mac Hollowell
16. Filip Král
17. Pierre Engvall
18. Mike Koster
19. Adam Brooks
20. Mikhail Abramov

HM: Duszak, Timashov, Carcone, Stotts

I think Liljegren, Mikheyev, Bracco, Moore, and (maybe) Kivihalme will graduate before the end of next season.

My guess for biggest risers on my list after next season: SDA, Hollowell, Duszak.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I really like the quality of Hollowell's and Lindgren's skating abilities but both are quite small (Lindgren is very slight). Hollowell seems to have good technique physically engaging the opposition but it won't be easy for him. The Leafs have (wisely) kept Lindgren away from the rigors of NA hockey but the time is coming when it'll be make or break against the pro hockey bodies on the small ice.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Any word yet on what Kral is doing next season? He'd be an overage in the W this next season. A season in Europe would be a bigger challenge.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Any word yet on what Kral is doing next season? He'd be an overage in the W this next season. A season in Europe would be a bigger challenge.

He's still on Spokane's reserve list, but they also drafted two Import players this year.

More than likely what Spokane will end up doing is try to get Lukas Parik to commit to their team by promising him a starting role and replace their incumbent starter who would be an OA. They could then use that OA spot (and their other Import spot) on Kral if he wants to come back. If he doesn't, then they have a Russian defenseman they drafted who likely comes into the lineup.

If Parik refuses to come, then it would be Kral and the Russian guy. If Kral and Parik both refuse to come, then it'll just be the Russian guy and they'll have an open Import spot in case one of them wants to come later in the year (that's what happened when Kral first went to Spokane).

Reactions: Magic Man

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Possible he signs a 1 year AHL level contract. Splits time between the Growlers and the Marlies.

Likely scenario is that he signs overseas for a year or two and goes from there, similar to Rasanen.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Not bad, I'd put SDA lower as he had an underwhelming D+1 season .. Lots of upside though.
SDA is a weird case. He seems to play to whatever level the players around him are at. He looked great in Leafs camp last year and looks great at development camp so far.

He's still just 18 until September so I'll wait and see how he does this season to make a judgement on him. This is the year for him to really make a statement in the OHL. Some of these guys that are super young in their draft class that are this skilled take 3-4 years to really gain traction, but if they do they usually end up being good picks.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
SDA wouldn't be the first example of a recently drafted teenager coming to Leafs' camp and impressing only to disappoint after that. You'd like to think it's rare, it probably is, but it has happened.

Examples off the top of my head: Luca Cereda got rave reviews at his first camp after his draft. Chris DiDomenico had an impressive first camp and earned a contract but his career never took off. Then again Cereda had an undetected bad ticker and DiDomenico suffered a horrific broken leg.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
SDA is a weird case. He seems to play to whatever level the players around him are at. He looked great in Leafs camp last year and looks great at development camp so far.

He's still just 18 until September so I'll wait and see how he does this season to make a judgement on him. This is the year for him to really make a statement in the OHL. Some of these guys that are super young in their draft class that are this skilled take 3-4 years to really gain traction, but if they do they usually end up being good picks.
Any development camp clips out there ?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
SDA wouldn't be the first example of a recently drafted teenager coming to Leafs' camp and impressing only to disappoint after that. You'd like to think it's rare, it probably is, but it has happened.

Examples off the top of my head: Luca Cereda got rave reviews at his first camp after his draft. Chris DiDomenico had an impressive first camp and earned a contract but his career never took off. Then again Cereda had an undetected bad ticker and DiDomenico suffered a horrific broken leg.
Timashov too.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Anyone watch SDA’s interview from today?

Kid is low key hilarious

“I want to come in to camp and impress everybody and look like an NHL player *smirks* obviously I’m not, but look like it”

Also seems like he’s going to focus on his strength and conditioning and getting into better shape this summer. So that’s good

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Anyone watch SDA’s interview from today?

Kid is low key hilarious

“I want to come in to camp and impress everybody and look like an NHL player *smirks* obviously I’m not, but look like it”

Also seems like he’s going to focus on his strength and conditioning and getting into better shape this summer. So that’s good
Yea he needs to put on some mass. I usually don't care about size, especially as young as him, but he's basically a twig. Top right is him I believe.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Yea he needs to put on some mass. I usually don't care about size, especially as young as him, but he's basically a twig. Top right is him I believe.

He legit looks somewhere between 14-16. Like you said, size doesn't matter, but his body is clearly a couple years behind :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad