Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Read some glowing reviews on Woll and Scott by Shilton.

Biased but encouraging.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

He was a good player for the Marlies. I wish him well.

It would not surprise me if he gets into player development and/or coaching with the Marlies/Leafs at some point.

IIRC, he's from New Foundland, so he could get a role with the growlers in some capacity... but if that is where he wanted to be, he probably could have got a contract to play for them

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Whatever SDA’s official weight is on Eliteprospects/HockeyDB I already know if wrong based off that picture lol

Elite has him at 163. DB has him at 170.

I'd say the 163 number is accurate. EliteProspects is usually always updated with that sort of thing.

But this is why we picked him. Work with him on his strength, and adding muscle. Dude is extremely talented, and skilled. Just needs to transition from a boy into a man physically

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

kb

Aug 28, 2009
And this is demonstrated every year with hundreds of posts from people complaining about this imaginary problem. So boring but what are you gonna do?
Agreed. I going back 3 drafts, but does anyone think Dubas picks Korshkov with DeBrincat still on the board?

So far that is looking like a definite miss. I'm not guaranteeing that Dubas takes DeBrincat, but he's also not going to dismiss him based on his height.

How's that 2016 draft of big players looking today?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Agreed. I going back 3 drafts, but does anyone think Dubas picks Korshkov with DeBrincat still on the board?

So far that is looking like a definite miss. I'm not guaranteeing that Dubas takes DeBrincat, but he's also not going to dismiss him based on his height.

How's that 2016 draft of big players looking today?

They dont need Debrincat. They had enough offensive weapons. After the Matthews pick, Leafs went with Korshkov and Grundstrom to find different types of players to fill the grit role on a line. Also, its easy to have hindsight when drafting a player. I understand passing on Debrincat, Jordan Kyrou would have been someone I considered. Ive watched him since pre - OHL years and he was a very under rated minor midget prospect. Im more interested in if anyone in the Leafs management brought up Brandon Carlo vs Travis Dermott for the 2015 draft. Even at that time the Leafs have no right shot dmen with promise in the system.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
When talking about picking Dubas to be the gm... Shanahan alluded to picking him based on things that were and were not done.

I'm guessing that dubas made suggestions on picks and or players that Lou or hunter didn't agree with and those players resulted in being good players.

Hense the reason Dubas was picked.

Reactions: teddygmr

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Right now, I see this as the lineup:

Agostino-Shore-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Timashov
Engvall-???-Korshkov
???-???-???
Clune

Sandin-Liljegren
Kivihalme-Lindgren
Marincin-Hollowell
Gravel-Duszak

Hutchinson-Woll

Luchuk and the AHL contracts will probably fill some of those spots. Marlies should still add another guy IMO. Defense is done though, and damn it looks nice. They still need to move out Kaskisuo to fit Hutch in though. I cannot believe that Dubas is going to try and replace Sparks with an inferior goalie when he already took heat for the backup debacle. Get someone legit to replace Sparks if you are going to do it.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Some relevant movement...

OUT
Michael Carcone - traded - Ottawa Senators (NHL)
Michael Garteig - signed - Tappara (Liiga)
Colin Greening - retired
Josh Jooris - signed - Lausanne HC (NL)
Josh Kestner - signed - Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL)
Vincent LoVerde - signed - Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)
Chris Mueller - signed - Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL)
Igor Ozhiganov - signed - Ak Bars Kazan (KHL)
J.J. Piccinich - signed - San Antonio Rampage (AHL)
Kristian Pospisil - signed - Lukko (Liiga)
Calle Rosen - traded - Colorado Avalanche (NHL)

IN
Kenny Agostino - signed - New Jersey Devils (NHL)
Kevin Gravel - signed - Edmonton Oilers (NHL)
Ben Harpur - traded - Ottawa Senators (NHL)
Michael Hutchinson - re-signed
Teemu Kivihalme - signed - Oulun Karpat (Liiga)
Aaron Luchuk - trade - Ottawa Senators (NHL)
Martin Marincin - re-signed
Ilya Mikheyev - signed - Avangard Omsk (KHL)
Nick Shore - signed - Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL)

Gabriel Gagne, Nicholas Baptiste, Jordan Subban, Eamon McAdam not QOd, remain unigned

Reactions: Lauro and SprDaVE

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Some relevant movement...

OUT
Michael Carcone - traded - Ottawa Senators (NHL)
Michael Garteig - signed - Tappara (Liiga)
Colin Greening - retired
Josh Jooris - signed - Lausanne HC (NL)
Josh Kestner - signed - Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL)
Vincent LoVerde - signed - Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)
Chris Mueller - signed - Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL)
Igor Ozhiganov - signed - Ak Bars Kazan (KHL)
J.J. Piccinich - signed - San Antonio Rampage (AHL)
Kristian Pospisil - signed - Lukko (Liiga)
Calle Rosen - traded - Colorado Avalanche (NHL)

IN
Kenny Agostino - signed - New Jersey Devils (NHL)
Kevin Gravel - signed - Edmonton Oilers (NHL)
Ben Harpur - traded - Ottawa Senators (NHL)
Michael Hutchinson - re-signed
Teemu Kivihalme - signed - Oulun Karpat (Liiga)
Aaron Luchuk - trade - Ottawa Senators (NHL)
Martin Marincin - re-signed
Ilya Mikheyev - signed - Avangard Omsk (KHL)
Nick Shore - signed - Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL)

Gabriel Gagne, Nicholas Baptiste, Jordan Subban, Eamon McAdam not QOd, remain unigned
why is the bolded listed in Marlies & prospects thread. He will play with Leafs. Guaranteed. That's why he signed here.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
why is the bolded listed in Marlies & prospects thread. He will play with Leafs. Guaranteed. That's why he signed here.

Well, I wouldn’t say “Guaranteed” but in an interview at the draft, Babcock certainly spoke of Mikheyev as a Leaf not a Marlie. And Mikheyev’s highlights look very impressive to me, for what little that is worth. His style reminded me a bit of Rick Nash. (A comparison of style not ability.)

Plus Hyman is out for the start of the season, leaving a hole on the LW for someone who can play with the big boys.

Reactions: taurine330

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
There's an NHL seeming feel to the Mikheyev player I've seen in highlight videos. He seems a little bit slight so he won't be able to play a reckless game. I'm not sure he's going to be a huge scorer but rather a player who pushes the opposition with his speed like Kapanen. And he's got that calm "ah shucks" demeanor of Tomas Kaberle.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There's an NHL seeming feel to the Mikheyev player I've seen in highlight videos. He seems a little bit slight so he won't be able to play a reckless game. I'm not sure he's going to be a huge scorer but rather a player who pushes the opposition with his speed like Kapanen. And he's got that calm "ah shucks" demeanor of Tomas Kaberle.

His offensive upside seems rather questionable for sure but I think his skating and puck pursuit is what will give him a chance to stick. If he can play an uptempo game and use his size/speed advantage to forecheck, he will be a regular NHLer for the foreseeable future.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
That's certainly the intention, but I wouldn't say guaranteed.
He's a big question mark.
We've had other KHL guys come in, "guaranteed" that needed sometime.

I did debate including him in the list, and I think he'll be a Leaf, too, but I figured it was relevant to the movement of depth in question

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Right now, I see this as the lineup:

Agostino-Shore-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Timashov
Engvall-???-Korshkov
???-???-???
Clune

Sandin-Liljegren
Kivihalme-Lindgren
Marincin-Hollowell
Gravel-Duszak

Hutchinson-Woll

Luchuk and the AHL contracts will probably fill some of those spots. Marlies should still add another guy IMO. Defense is done though, and damn it looks nice. They still need to move out Kaskisuo to fit Hutch in though. I cannot believe that Dubas is going to try and replace Sparks with an inferior goalie when he already took heat for the backup debacle. Get someone legit to replace Sparks if you are going to do it.

Agostino is playing on the leafs.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Reality is, his, and the other small contract players, spot is not set in stone.
He may be an NHL player, but he's got to win that spot. If he gets beaten out, he's going down to the minors.
Same goes with the Euro signings, Gravel, the prospects, etc.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Agostino had an impact playing with the Devils in the second half of the season and he brings some of the fiestiness missing with Kadri getting dealt.

Sure, but now that we have Kerfoot, he doesn't have a spot. If he was able to PK or provide something else, then maybe. Right now, he's an offensive guy with a bit of grit which is perfect for the Marlies top line.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Sure, but now that we have Kerfoot, he doesn't have a spot. If he was able to PK or provide something else, then maybe. Right now, he's an offensive guy with a bit of grit which is perfect for the Marlies top line.

Kerfoot will be the 3rd line center. He's dominant on faceoffs and a good playmaker.

The LW situation is Johnsson, Hyman, Moore/Mikheyev, Agostino.

Even if Kerfoot moved to LW Moore can be switched to RW.

Hyman, Tavares, Marner?
Johnson, Matthews, Kapanen
Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Nylander
Agostino, Spezza, Moore
Petan and Shore are extras

Goat will be in tough to stay in the NHL.

Reactions: Macallan18

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Kerfoot will be the 3rd line center. He's dominant on faceoffs and a good playmaker.

The LW situation is Johnsson, Hyman, Moore/Mikheyev, Agostino.

Even if Kerfoot moved to LW Moore can be switched to RW.

Hyman, Tavares, Marner?
Johnson, Matthews, Kapanen
Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Nylander
Agostino, Spezza, Moore
Petan and Shore are extras

Goat will be in tough to stay in the NHL.

Gauthier has a better shot than Agostino. Kerfoot was used more as a winger than as a center, and only played there semi-occasionally. Besides that, Spezza is not a good fit for a 4th line. He is going to need to play in a more offensive role than our 4th line plays, and with more talented players, in order to be effective. 3C makes a lot more sense for him.

Unless Kerfoot is moved, Agostino is on the outside looking in. Shore is the only one who could possibly knock Gauthier out, but Gauthier has the inside track and considering he is the better defensive player, I'd expect him to win.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Gauthier has a better shot than Agostino. Kerfoot was used more as a winger than as a center, and only played there semi-occasionally. Besides that, Spezza is not a good fit for a 4th line. He is going to need to play in a more offensive role than our 4th line plays, and with more talented players, in order to be effective. 3C makes a lot more sense for him.

Unless Kerfoot is moved, Agostino is on the outside looking in. Shore is the only one who could possibly knock Gauthier out, but Gauthier has the inside track and considering he is the better defensive player, I'd expect him to win.

A few things,

1) Kerfoot is better than 50% on the draw. He might have mainly been a winger in Colorado but there is no doubt in my mind Toronto will lean on him as a 3C

2) as for Spezza I'm almost positive he said himself he will be on the 4th line and be used as a PK'er (even said himself he never had to PK but is up to the challenge)

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
They dont need Debrincat. They had enough offensive weapons. After the Matthews pick, Leafs went with Korshkov and Grundstrom to find different types of players to fill the grit role on a line. Also, its easy to have hindsight when drafting a player. I understand passing on Debrincat, Jordan Kyrou would have been someone I considered. Ive watched him since pre - OHL years and he was a very under rated minor midget prospect. Im more interested in if anyone in the Leafs management brought up Brandon Carlo vs Travis Dermott for the 2015 draft. Even at that time the Leafs have no right shot dmen with promise in the system.

Carlo has to be one of the most overrated players in the NHL; Dermott’s simply a better hockey player

Reactions: teddygmr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad