Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs quietly grooming Frederik Andersen’s successor - Sportsnet.ca
Joseph Woll has never played a pro hockey game and wasn’t going to see a second of NHL action.

And yet, the touted Toronto Maple Leafs goaltending prospect travelled, practised and trained with the big club for the final five weeks of the season, including the seven-game playoff series with Boston, riding the highs and lows up in the TD Garden pressbox with the Justin Holls and Nic Petans of the world.

A dream job-shadowing assignment presented by Kyle Dubas, and one that Woll leapt at.

“It was great being around the team and getting to know some the guys on a daily basis and seeing what they go through and how they prepare and meeting with the coaching staff and just kind of getting the feel for pro hockey,” says the 20-year-old NCAA star, who learned firsthand the grind he’ll be in for as a professional.

“You feel yourself progress even more when you’re getting the best players in the world shooting at you on a daily basis. It was a mix of being a little starstruck, being in this city with how historical it is and how special this team is, and then a mix of learning and taking everything in.”
Friend and fellow Leafs netminding hopeful Ian Scott, also 20, participated in a similar program during the Toronto Marlies’ run to the Calder Cup in 2018, squeezing into one AHL regular-season game but mostly just soaking up lessons from Garret Sparks and Calvin Pickard.

Just a taste. A tease of what could come.

Scott calls that mentorship “incredible” and believes the limited taste of professional life contributed to his stellar 2018-19 WHL-championship campaign with the Prince Albert Raiders, during which he posted a sparkling 38-8-2 record, with eight shutouts and a .932 save percentage.

“I was able to see the little things that made them successful and have such a great year, and I brought a lot of that back to Prince Albert,” Scott says. “Winning it all with the guys in the room — that’s something I’ll remember forever.”

The mentees roomed together at Leafs development camp and are set to battle for ice time in what should be a competitive Marlies camp this fall. (Between games, Woll will be finishing three online classes in order to complete his business degree from Boston University.)

“We’re both trying to make the Maple Leafs, obviously,” Woll says. “It’s competing on the ice, but it’s friendship off the ice — and I think that’s the way it should be.”

“We get along pretty well,” Scott adds.

Reactions: uncleben

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Big year for Woll/Scott making the jump to the pro level. They need to show some promise as Freddy only has 2 seasons left on his deal.

If either of them perform they could potentially plan to have them take over for Freddy after his contract is up. Or at the very least have a split with a veteran 1B goalie type.

That could be be key for the Leafs to have major cap savings.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Big year for Woll/Scott making the jump to the pro level. They need to show some promise as Freddy only has 2 seasons left on his deal.

If either of them perform they could potentially plan to have them take over for Freddy after his contract is up. Or at the very least have a split with a veteran 1B goalie type.

Yea we simply cannot afford a goalie making over $5-6 million.

If I'm the Leafs I extend Freddy next summer and then trade him at the 2021 draft before any NTC/NMC kicks in on a long term deal with a high AAV. Recoup some assets for the system.

If you think Scott or Woll are ready great, if not sign a Lehner type stop gap for a year or so.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Both have tremendous potential. I’m confident one of them will work out, but you never know.

I’ve been pumping Scott since before we even drafted him and before his numbers matches his ability.

I’ve also really liked Woll’s progress.

It’s just interesting to me that we still have Sparks, Kaskisuo, Hutchinson, Scott and Woll.

I see Sparks moved, Hutch as the backup, Woll/Scott and Kaskisuo splitting time in the AHL and then Woll/Scott starting in the ECHL

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Both have tremendous potential. I’m confident one of them will work out, but you never know.

I’ve been pumping Scott since before we even drafted him and before his numbers matches his ability.

I’ve also really liked Woll’s progress.

It’s just interesting to me that we still have Sparks, Kaskisuo, Hutchinson, Scott and Woll.

I see Sparks moved, Hutch as the backup, Woll/Scott and Kaskisuo splitting time in the AHL and then Woll/Scott starting in the ECHL

Same. His problem was never his skill but that he played on a bad team and had to cheat a lot to have a chance at some saves (which worked sometimes but burned him the other times). Once he had a good team (and PA IMO wasn't even the most skilled team; a lot of their success came from amazing depth and Scott being simply spectacular), he did not need to cheat as much and he was great.

He was one of my goalies of choice in 2017 and I thought he had a chance to go 2nd round. At the very least I thought he would be a top 5 goalie in that draft and he wasn't even in the top 10. Worked out well for us.

As for the backup job, I don't see Hutch as the backup. I think they still use Sparks, because he's the best we've got right now, and trade Kaskisuo or they try to get Domingue from Tampa for cheap and trade Sparks and Kaskisuo. Outside of the one season in 14-15, Hutch has not shown to be more than an average-ish backup behind a much better defense than we were running in front of Sparks. They may decide to wait until training camp to do it, since I don't think teams really need goalies right now unless they have some injuries or poor depth (the only team I've really seen right now who could use a goalie is New Jersey on their AHL team, since neither are great options and are rookies).

EDIT: NVM most of the remaining UFA goalies suck. Ward is likely retiring to be close to his sick child and the rest are so bad you might as well just pay a 7th to bring in Sparks.

Last edited:

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
so on a different note who would you guys put in a group of guys that could make the leafs with one hell of a summer and a fantastic camp

I'm going to go with Liljgren I think if he has a maturing summer and hits camp in full stride they will have a hell of a time making pros of sending him back down to the A . but I am also thinking he will have a massive coming out party this year. honorable mention is Nytro and Engval . who I don't think are as far off from 4th line minutes as some do

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why the Maple Leafs are investing in Justin Brazeau - Sportsnet.ca
Growing up five and half hours north of Toronto, Brazeau wasn’t always a Leafs diehard. He watched them, of course. But he was enamoured with Alex Ovechkin’s one-timer “and the excitement he brought when he scored goals.” He studied Sidney Crosby because “he’s the hardest-working superstar in the world.” And he appreciated how power forwards like Ryan Getzlaf and Joe Thornton made up for their lack of footspeed with their hockey sense and playmaking.

That’s Brazeau’s objective. That’s why he chose the Leafs.

The knock on the six-foot-six, 61-goal man, the reason he was never drafted, is that he’s too slow. Can’t skate.

“It’s always been that through my junior career. I know that,” he says. “I’m from the North. I’ve never had too much power skating or anything like that.”

Enter Barb Underhill, the blade whisperer.

“She’s definitely one of the best in the business,” Brazeau says.

Brazeau drove south in mid-May and is dedicating this summer to his stride, hitting the ice for sessions with Underhill, the Leafs dedicated skating coach, three or four times a week and training daily at the Leafs practice facility.

Underhill is dismantling Brazeau’s stride right down to the basics in order to rebuild it properly, like a golfer learning a new swing starting with the grip and stance.

No other team was offering the late-blooming prospect this level of investment and attention, so he’s banking on hard work and improvement to pay the Leafs back.

“They gave me the best chance of taking my pro career forward,” Brazeau says. “I know I have to earn my spot on the team.”

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
so on a different note who would you guys put in a group of guys that could make the leafs with one hell of a summer and a fantastic camp

I'm going to go with Liljgren I think if he has a maturing summer and hits camp in full stride they will have a hell of a time making pros of sending him back down to the A . but I am also thinking he will have a massive coming out party this year. honorable mention is Nytro and Engval . who I don't think are as far off from 4th line minutes as some do

Who is Nytro?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Joshua wasn't going to sign with us, so it's just doing St. Louis a favour, is all.

St. Louis has already signed him to an ELC.

The conditions were probably tied to the player, and Toronto wanting to get another pick.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The conditions were probably tied to the player, and Toronto wanting to get another pick.
If that were the case, it would have had to have been worded as a "conditional pick".

A player cannot be traded for nothing, so this is the way it is processed. But it in effect is just a good faith deal. It builds rapport and relationships, and maybe later Dubas can say, "hey, remember that one favour..?"

They used to be able to trade players for staff (trainers, doctors, etc.), money (historical trades have involved anywhere from $1 to $10M), equipment (zambonis, buses... the figurative "traded for a bag of pucks did come from somewhere!), publicity ("save that promo/theme/ceremony night for when you face us this year!"), etc. and a lot of that fell under future considerations, but in the cap era, you can't trade players for those things anymore.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If that were the case, it would have had to have been worded as a "conditional pick".

A player cannot be traded for nothing, so this is the way it is processed. But it in effect is just a good faith deal. It builds rapport and relationships, and maybe later Dubas can say, "hey, remember that one favour..?"

They used to be able to trade players for staff (trainers, doctors, etc.), money (historical trades have involved anywhere from $1 to $10M), equipment (zambonis, buses... the figurative "traded for a bag of pucks did come from somewhere!), publicity ("save that promo/theme/ceremony night for when you face us this year!"), etc. and a lot of that fell under future considerations, but in the cap era, you can't trade players for those things anymore.

I am pretty sure there are certain conditions that can't be covered by a "conditional pick" though. Like I think if there was a condition based on the Blues acquiring a 7th round pick in 2020 to give us, but would give us a 2021 7th if they can't get one. I don't think they can have a condition involving picks they don't already own at the time of the trade, so if it was like "we'll give you a 2020 7th if we get one, but otherwise we'll give you a 2021 7th", I think that has to be done through Future Considerations.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I am pretty sure there are certain conditions that can't be covered by a "conditional pick" though. Like I think if there was a condition based on the Blues acquiring a 7th round pick in 2020 to give us, but would give us a 2021 7th if they can't get one. I don't think they can have a condition involving picks they don't already own at the time of the trade, so if it was like "we'll give you a 2020 7th if we get one, but otherwise we'll give you a 2021 7th", I think that has to be done through Future Considerations.

This is what I believe is the case. STL has neither their 6th or 7th this year. So, they leave it as future considerations, and if they acquire one, they just flip it to us. If come the draft, they haven’t, they just flip is a 2021 one.

Acquiring something you don’t have can’t be a “condition”.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad