2017 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Def interested in hearing more about Shvryov on the Avs board. Thanks for having this thread as a resource, big help! Where is he going to play next year? NA a possibility?

He is still contracted with Metallurg for one more season... and I'd say an extension is pretty possible after that (if he will be given KHL icetime of course), as I really doubt that he is NHL ready in one year.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Do you believe Volkov will go straight to AHL?

I thought I had read that his contract has recently expired, but may be misinformation.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
I don't know anything about Chekhovich or really any other prospect left at this point, but if you guys like him then I hope the Lightning get him with their last pick.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
That's all folks! This draft reall seems like a weird one... or maybe it's just me getting too old.

You say this every year, when draft again in relation to Russian kids make no sense yet again :D

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
There is a truism that coming to the CHL helps Russian players get drafted. And yet look at the results.

The only Russian to squeeze into the second round is a VHLer (who got exposure through the SuperSeries). And it is not until the fifth Russian pick in Samorukov that we see a CHLer. And Samorukov went later than anyone could have expected at the start of the year.

In the meantime we're seeing many Russian pros and MHLers drafted: Shvyrev, Kara, Toropchenko, Lipanov. CHLers Popugaev and Chekhovich drop. Others like Rubinchik and Minulin aren't deemed worthy of a pick.

Coming to the CHL does not seem like a good idea anymore, does it? If anything, it seems that it exposes some guys so much that teams spot too many issues and overlook them.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Al Murray and Yzerman gave great insight on Volkov pick.

- Said Volkov intentionally didn't re-sign contract in Russia because he wants to come to NA right away. Lightning plan on having him play in AHL next year.

- They thought he was best player on the ice most games in the Series and thought he was a lock for WJC if he didn't get hurt.

- Half a dozen GMs called Yzerman to congratulate him on the pick and said they were planning on taking Volkov in the third.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I admit that Volkov was quite good at the Superseries. A lot of energy; quick feet and quick stick. Won many puck battles. More people would have known about him had he made the U-20 team.

But when I saw him I thought he was another Sergei Kalinin. Good skating energy player, give-it-his-all kind of guy. I did not see big upside. Even though he looked NHL-caliber.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
I admit that Volkov was quite good at the Superseries. A lot of energy; quick feet and quick stick. Won many puck battles. More people would have known about him had he made the U-20 team.

But when I saw him I thought he was another Sergei Kalinin. Good skating energy player, give-it-his-all kind of guy. I did not see big upside. Even though he looked NHL-caliber.

Appreciate your insight. I have never seen him play so I have to rely on what I read and see in very limited YouTube clips, which obviously isn't ideal.

I knew you and Caser have seen him plenty and are very diligent and informed on prospects, especially Russian ones, so I value you guys' input greatly.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I'm not at all surprised that Altybarmakyan went highly, this guy is underrated. Size isn't great, but I wouldn't say he is all that small. And he shows high upside both as a goal-scorer and play-maker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad