2017 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Finally, Svetlakov gets drafted. The guy might already be NHL ready as a bottom 6 player and might still have upside for top 6 (although as a Center, it's tougher).

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
You say this every year, when draft again in relation to Russian kids make no sense yet again :D

No really, I feel that it gets more and more grotesque every year.

care to elaborate a bit more?

I mean, Kara is a good winger, got good physicality, decent skating and a very good shot, but he never was considered a top guy of his age and it's not like he would have a breakout year.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Apparently scouts didn't like Chekhovich's skating... I don't know if it is that bad, although I'm pretty bad at evaluating skating.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Apparently scouts didn't like Chekhovich's skating... I don't know if it is that bad, although I'm pretty bad at evaluating skating.

Small market in the Q doesn't help either. For that reason I didn't think he'd go earlier than the 6th round. I'm sure skating is a concern but that's true for like 80% of this draft class.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Doesn't Svetlakov have 3 years left on his contract? Why draft him in that case? I thought for sure that Vovchenko would be drafted given his great year in the KHL and the fact that he can come over quite soon.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Doesn't Svetlakov have 3 years left on his contract? Why draft him in that case? I thought for sure that Vovchenko would be drafted given his great year in the KHL and the fact that he can come over quite soon.

All good questions :laugh: NHL draft works in mysterious ways.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com

Maybe to make sure they hold his rights when the KHL contract expires after 3 years and he is, possibly, ready for a new challenge? Or did I misunderstand your question?

Meanwhile German Poddubnyi has been invited to the Predators dev camp.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Maybe to make sure they hold his rights when the KHL contract expires after 3 years and he is, possibly, ready for a new challenge? Or did I misunderstand your question?

Meanwhile German Poddubnyi has been invited to the Predators dev camp.

I don't think you misunderstood my question. I just don't see the point of drafting a 21 year old that you're not going to see until he's 24 when there's at least one player who did very well in the KHL this year and is available more or less immediately. That's at least why I avoided him in my mock draft, opting for Vovchenko instead.

Can guys like Kuzmenko or Vovchenko be drafted next year?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Svetlakov is an NHL-quality player though. Good at faceoffs, wins puck battles, definite role player potential. Vovchenko isn't.

Vovchenko is a scoring line guy and you'd need many more NHL expansion teams to see someone give him a shot on a scoring line.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
I don't think you misunderstood my question. I just don't see the point of drafting a 21 year old that you're not going to see until he's 24 when there's at least one player who did very well in the KHL this year and is available more or less immediately. That's at least why I avoided him in my mock draft, opting for Vovchenko instead.

Can guys like Kuzmenko or Vovchenko be drafted next year?

It is not that rare when NHL teams wait for 3 or even more years until the player is ready to come over. Svetlakov is already a NT level player at his 21, hopefully he continues to progress, so if everything will be good, I think he can become a quality NHL 3rd line center and not a lot of those guys from this year's draft will be that good at any age, not only 3 years from now.

Kuzmenko and Vovchenko won't be eligible next year anymore.

Interesting quote from Tampa's Director of Amateur Scouting Al Murray.

Worth mentioning that this year Tampa picked only those guys, who were willing to cross the pond immediately. :)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It is not that rare when NHL teams wait for 3 or even more years until the player is ready to come over. Svetlakov is already a NT level player at his 21, hopefully he continues to progress, so if everything will be good, I think he can become a quality NHL 3rd line center and not a lot of those guys from this year's draft will be that good at any age, not only 3 years from now.

That's true. In that respect the pick makes sense.

I'm just mad that Vovchenko went undrafted which negatively affected my mock draft score. Next time I'll just go by your list as BPA when selecting a russian overager, instead of trying to get clever. ;)

Kuzmenko and Vovchenko won't be eligible next year anymore.

I thought as much.

Interesting quote from Tampa's Director of Amateur Scouting Al Murray.

Worth mentioning that this year Tampa picked only those guys, who were willing to cross the pond immediately. :)

There is a definite market inefficiency with respect to Russians and the NHL.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
No Slepets was huge upset for me. Im predicting he gets scoped next year. He had a hell of an U18 tourny, hopefully a sign of big things to come from him next season. Will likely play with Kayumov in the VHL (played together in MHL).

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
There are teams that flat out refuse to take Russians, no matter how talented. I can think of Flames, Ducks, Pens and Sens.

Bruins, Kings, Sabres and Canucks (Tryamkin's situation) have recently been burned with Russian prospects, so they might be joining those ranks.

On the other hand, there are teams who used to be on that list but are starting to warm up to the idea of drafting Russians. Teams that I can think of are Wild, Predators, Sharks, Blue Jackets and Devils.

Not sure what the situation with Red Wings all of sudden. They seemed to have cooled down on the idea, despite their VERY positive history with Russians.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
No Slepets was huge upset for me. Im predicting he gets scoped next year. He had a hell of an U18 tourny, hopefully a sign of big things to come from him next season. Will likely play with Kayumov in the VHL (played together in MHL).

I have a strange thought that despite this year's draft being rather weak, scouts were still not willing to risk and went for the raw tools (size/skating), not into those strange 'skill' and 'hockey sense' things. :sarcasm: I actually think that if Kucherov would be a 1999 born and would be breaking records at the U18 this year, I doubt that he would be picked much higher than he has been back in 2011.

There are teams that flat out refuse to take Russians, no matter how talented. I can think of Flames, Ducks, Pens and Sens.

Bruins, Kings, Sabres and Canucks (Tryamkin's situation) have recently been burned with Russian prospects, so they might be joining those ranks.

On the other hand, there are teams who used to be on that list but are starting to warm up to the idea of drafting Russians. Teams that I can think of are Wild, Predators, Sharks, Blue Jackets and Devils.

Not sure what the situation with Red Wings all of sudden. They seemed to have cooled down on the idea, despite their VERY positive history with Russians.

Sabres management has been changed, so doubt that we can make conclusions about them at this point. Also you're forgetting that some teams will draft Russians only from the CHL/USHL or if they will be willing to come over to NA like immediately.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Hawks fan and dont know much about him, but can you tell me more about andrei altybar... i know he has great stats, especially for an 18 year old and has okay size. I have yet to see him play

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Hawks fan and dont know much about him, but can you tell me more about andrei altybar... i know he has great stats, especially for an 18 year old and has okay size. I have yet to see him play

Well, I got some description in the OP here or do you need some more details?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Oh yeah just saw that. Dissapointed the hawks couldnt get lipanov too. I know he was a big toews fan and all. Altybar looks pretty good from some shifts ive seen him and his +/- is pretty good for the mhl and vhl. Was just wondering on your guys opinion of him a lil more. The vhl is equivalent to the ahl in america and he didnt do too bad on the score sheet.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
I'm not sure if you are one who hates making player comparisons because I know some people refuse to do it, but do you know of anybody currently in the league that the two Lightning guys, Volkov and Lipanov, closely resemble?

I saw somebody say Palat for Volkov, but I don't know how reputable the person making the comparison is, and I felt it might have been a lazy comparison just because it was a Lightning draft pick to a current Lightning player, so I figured I'd ask.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Really disappointed nobody took a chance on Danill Vovchenko. Hopefully he continues to develop and then gets to choose his own destination if he decides to come over. I could easily see him breaking out next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad