2017 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
It's interesting that this thread has been bumped exactly when I was planning a small update. :handclap:

Any information on Gleb Shutov, Grigory Afonkin, or Mark Pavlikov? Thanks!

Shutov looked like a decent stay-at-home with a good frame, played mostly at Omsk MHL team's 2nd/3rd pairings, didn't exactly stood out, but wasn't bad either.

No idea about Afonkin, had to look it up and he barely played this season.

Pavlikov looks like something interesting, as he is actually a pretty smart and creative defensman, I definitely like that kind of playing style, but his main issue is also pretty clear: size/strength. Still I hope that there might be something good at least in the long term.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pavlikov looks like something interesting, as he is actually a pretty smart and creative defensman, I definitely like that kind of playing style, but his main issue is also pretty clear: size/strength. Still I hope that there might be something good at least in the long term.

Good to know, thanks. Also on the younger side for this draft (7/99), so maybe some room for growth with either size or strength.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
The 'Not ranked' update

To be honest it's been plain boring waiting for the draft this year. No, really: a lot of different rankings (sometimes really extravagant ones), not a lot of news or rumors, even at Hfboards team forums I've noticed that this year almost everyone isn't discussing anything deeper than 1st round... and probably it will be this way until BobMcKenzie's rankings are released. So yeah, to fight that boredom and also to get rid of that weird '61' number of prospects, I decided to add 9 guys, who I would describe as 'Not ranked', which means that I have considered those at some point of getting my rankings done, but for different reasons couldn't decide where to rank them and if they should be in my rankings at all. So, here is my 'Not ranked' list (in order of them popping out in my memory):

Alexander Georgiyev (GK; 6'1" 176 lbs; TPS, Liiga; 3 year overage)

I was pretty surprised that no one noticed Georgiyev's omission after he posted such impressive numbers in the Liiga. I really wanted to put him somewhere in my rankings, but I wasn't able to make a decision here because he was pretty bad last season and this season I simply didn't see him (as I've mentioned, I had encountered a pretty serious lack of time resources this season and non-Russian leagues "suffered" from that). Stats are good, but TPS team is also a really strong one and Georgiyev is still a back-up there, so all that combined resulted in the omission from my rankings.

Mikhail Denisov (GK; 6'0" 188 lbs; Shawinigan Cataractes, QMJHL; 1 year overage)

Denisov's numbers might seem not excellent at first sight, but for the QMJHL those actually are excellent, as it is kind of a high-scoring league. But again, as in Georgiyev's case, limited views and also Denisov's modest size gets him to the non-ranked part of my rankings.

Daniil Miromanov (RW; 6'4" 193 lbs; Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL; 2 year overage)

Miromanov has got the size and is willing to play a two-way game, but similarly to last year, he is still raw and I failed to see much progress in his game during this season.

Yegor Babenko (RW; 5'9" 157 lbs; Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL; 2 year overage)

Babenko is a skilled undersized winger, who is yet to convince that he got what it takes to play pro hockey. Didn't have a good season, but was noticeable in WHL play-offs, so maybe he reminded about himself to someone.

German Poddubnyi (C/W; 6'1" 183 lbs; Erie Otters, OHL)

Every time I saw Poddubnyi in OHL, he was getting 4th line responsibilities, yet he is still getting some good press, so I'm not exactly sure what even to think of him.

Semyon Perelyayev (LHD; 6'2" 176 lbs; Ladia Togliatti, MHL)

Perelyayev had a good 5 Nations tournament and got some attention there, but at the U18 WJC he was looking far from his best. Physically gifted kid, but with mobility issues and kind of an error prone.

Maksim Marushev (C/W; 6'0" 165 lbs; Irbis Kazan,MHL)

Marushev's case is interesting, as I actually seen quite a lot of him, yet I couldn't make up my mind: I mean, he is a good skater, got more or less decent size and works hard, but is he any better than just 'not bad'?

Kirill Popov (C/W; 6'0" 168 lbs; Mamonty Yugry, MHL)

Basically the same what I wrote about Marushev applies to Popov too (at least in my eyes): he is fine, but is there anything special?

Shamil Shmakov (GK; 6'5" 176 lbs; Sibirskie Snaipery Novosibirsk, MHL)

Shmakov is a young 6'5" tall goalie which makes him a potential draft candidate, but he was basically a third goalie in Novosibirsk MHL team this season, so I'm not sure how to rate him.

So... when do the Bob McKenzie's rankings come out?

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
It looks like Bob McKenzies rankings have been leaked and Kostin is #18 there, Lipanov is #49, Popugaev is #54, Zhukov is #64 (that's 5th among goalies), Samorukov is #76, Maksimov is HM (that's 94-to-100).

Everything is more or less as expected, except: Why no love for Chekhovich???? Yeah, he kind of lacks size, but not extremely, especially for a winger.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It looks like Bob McKenzies rankings have been leaked and Kostin is #18 there, Lipanov is #49, Popugaev is #54, Zhukov is #64 (that's 5th among goalies), Samorukov is #76, Maksimov is HM (that's 94-to-100).

Everything is more or less as expected, except: Why no love for Chekhovich???? Yeah, he kind of lacks size, but not extremely, especially for a winger.

Excuse my ignorance, but could you tell me what separates Chekhovich from a guy like Lazarev?

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Excuse my ignorance, but could you tell me what separates Chekhovich from a guy like Lazarev?

I think the hockey sense/instincts: at the U18s Chekhovich really reminded me of young Kucherov (without the crazy release, of course). Also I think Lazarev was a bit softer.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Ivan Chekhovich, Alexei Toropchenko and possibly Georgiy Ivanov (or someone, who looked somewhat like him to my eyes) visited Chicago last week, could mean some interest from the Blackhawks.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
So, the leak of BobbieMac's rankings was correct, which means I have to cut my first-round hopes for Popugaev (I imagined him on the same line as Trenin in Nashville, just think about it... oh, welp), but in the second round my bet would go for Carolina to get him, as I had an impression that they are kind of valuing the size (and they have a lot of picks in the second).

Not ready to get rid of my hopes for Chekhovich going relatively high though, as I definitely like him. Also, if talking about potential sleeper picks, I really like Svetlakov, Ivanov and Kuzmenko, particularly because there is not much hype about them.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Chekhovich is my favorite Russian from this class. I find the lack of love puzzling as well.

But Popugaev could fall hard, although someone might take him for his size.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
A bit of latest rumors: Rubinchik has been contacted by Toronto and Chicago.

Lipanov has been interviewed by 21 teams including Toronto.

Popugaev has been interviewed by 9 tems including Washington, Carolina, Edmonton, Toronto, Winnipeg, Montreal and Detroit.

Kostin have been interviewed by 25 teams.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Well, definitely not something that I could predict, looks like teams went for safer picks, but at the last moment St. Louis remembered that they have a tradition of collecting Russian captains.

I need to get some sleep now. :)

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Well, definitely not something that I could predict, looks like teams went for safer picks, but at the last moment St. Louis remembered that they have a tradition of collecting Russian captains.

I need to get some sleep now. :)

Was worried he won't be picked last night, but going to Blues somehow feels right. Lately they have been doing good with last 1st round picks, I hope it is a good omen.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
It's shocking to see Volkov selected that high.

Yeah he played tremendous at the U20 SS, was a surprise cut from the final team. Just shows you how much the NHL scouts rely on the international tournaments to scout/mine the Russian players. Slips 2 drafts then suddenly goes where he does this year

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Yeah he played tremendous at the U20 SS, was a surprise cut from the final team. Just shows you how much the NHL scouts rely on the international tournaments to scout/mine players. Obviously they had no clew about him the prior 2 drafts

He wasn't a cut, he was injured. But yeah, talking about the importance of NA-based tournaments for the draft stock.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah he played tremendous at the U20 SS, was a surprise cut from the final team. Just shows you how much the NHL scouts rely on the international tournaments to scout/mine the Russian players. Slips 2 drafts then suddenly goes where he does this year

This is a good point. Obviously SS has a higher level of competition than normal junior games (probably especially in the MHL). I trust Murray when it comes to rounds 2-7 though - I can't think of a team in the last six years that has had more success in the later rounds.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Besides Chicagos abysmal trade yesterday, love what they have been doing with the euro FA and drafts. No surprise, Alty had a great season - SKA system starting to shine the past few drafts

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Altybarmakyan over Lipanov and Popugaev... I like him, but maybe I'm still sleeping?

Personally I like more, but being 1 year older maybe makes a difference. A lot more skill and creativity than most of the other Russian guys in the draft. Dont worry maybe its better all these 99s get passed through until next year, they will go higher :sarcasm:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
This is a good point. Obviously SS has a higher level of competition than normal junior games (probably especially in the MHL). I trust Murray when it comes to rounds 2-7 though - I can't think of a team in the last six years that has had more success in the later rounds.

And proving it again today, some bold picks in the 2nd again. But yeah grabbing Gusev and Palat in the last rounds of the draft and then Kucherov in the 2nd is stunning.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
And proving it again today, some bold picks in the 2nd again. But yeah grabbing Gusev and Palat in the last rounds of the draft and then Kucherov in the 2nd is stunning.

And Point. And Dotchin. Raddysh and a bunch of others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad