2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Pittsburgh had the benefit of time. Two years ago Crosby and Malkin weren't 30 yet. Two years from now, Kopitar is 32, Quick is 34, Carter and Brown are 35, and Doughty might not be here. Ok, trade Carter, but this isn't Carter from 7 years ago. Who would trade for him? A contender. What contender is giving you some cheap young player with high potential for a now 33 year old? Carter went from Voracek and a top 10 pick, to Johnson and a low 1st round pick. His value isn't going to increase with age. The Jackets got rid of him because he didn't want to be there, and he shows no signs of not wanting to be here, so it's a little different, but they probably won't get their next leading scorer for a decade in any deal.

Even if you could trade Carter for something, you're still stuck with the other old guys. They just don't have the luxury of time. If you trade Carter, might as well trade everyone possible, get high picks, and build for 5 years from now, when Quick is finally gone, and Kopitar is in the last year of his deal and isn't weighing the organization down with a $10m cap hit. Let Kopitar, Brown, and Quick enjoy their retirement contracts in obscurity, and slowly create a foundation for 5-10 years in the future.

I’m not even sure how you came to your evaluations but let’s just remember that a certain injury prone center went for a Kings ransom... Carter is worth a top prospect or a really good young player plus a 1st rounder at minimum.... granted he needs to show he has no lingering effects from the injury.
The team has many options on a rebuild, they just need to be honest and accurate about the current roster when they do their evaluations... Me personally, I would move Martinez to Toronto for Liljegren and a 3rd, so next season we have Liljegren and Clague in Ontario... our defense needs to be rebuilt more so than our forwards group..

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I’m not even sure how you came to your evaluations but let’s just remember that a certain injury prone center went for a Kings ransom... Carter is worth a top prospect or a really good young player plus a 1st rounder at minimum.... granted he needs to show he has no lingering effects from the injury.
The team has many options on a rebuild, they just need to be honest and accurate about the current roster when they do their evaluations... Me personally, I would move Martinez to Toronto for Liljegren and a 3rd, so next season we have Liljegren and Clague in Ontario... our defense needs to be rebuilt more so than our forwards group..

Isn't Liljegren supposed to be good? People talk about Martinez as a 3rd pairing defenseman.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Loss incoming E5.

At least Kuemper is starting wooo

Ducks just got creamed. Would be great if we can win.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

No way in hell would you get Toronto to move Liljegren for Martinez. They wouldn't even move him for Muzzin. He is their Doughty lite

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
McKenzie saying Tampa Bay wants a veteran dman. Wonder what they'd give up for Martinez or Muzzin. Would take a good prospect and a high pick for either.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Josh Levio has asked for a trade If i was gm i would inquire kids got talent

I'll take Soshnikov too.

I mentioned Leivo months ago. Solid hockey player just needs an opportunity. An ideal guy to slide into a bottom 6 role and be a net front presence on the PP. He doesn't mind getting dirty.

I think he can be a 35-40 point guy.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Kings at the TDL...

Iafallo/XXX--Kopitar--Brown
Pearson--Carter--Toffoli
XXX/Iafallo--Kempe--Gaborik
Lewis--Amaido--Brodzinski
Clifford, Shore, Mitchell

XXX-Doughty
Muzzin--LaDue
Forbort--Martinez
Folin

Needs Top4 Dman and Top 9 winger

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I'll take Soshnikov too.

I mentioned Leivo months ago. Solid hockey player just needs an opportunity. An ideal guy to slide into a bottom 6 role and be a net front presence on the PP. He doesn't mind getting dirty.

I think he can be a 35-40 point guy.
I have not seen much of Soshnikov so i dunno much on him. Leivo i have seen in a few game very impress with his compete level Seems to never give up

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Fun facts. Kings are 3-0 and have outscored their opponents 11-1 when LaDue plays, so he should obviously be benched next game.

When Quick starts the Kings have 42 out of a possible 80 points this season.
When Kuemper starts the Kings have 19 out of a possible 24 points this season.

That is a huge gap, and it's not even close.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Fun facts. Kings are 3-0 and have outscored their opponents 11-1 when LaDue plays, so he should obviously be benched next game.

When Quick starts the Kings have 42 out of a possible 80 points this season.
When Kuemper starts the Kings have 19 out of a possible 24 points this season.

That is a huge gap, and it's not even close.

4 of the teams Kuemper started against are currently in playoff spots. 8 are not.

The guy has played great but he has the easier job of the two.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
4 of the teams Kuemper started against are currently in playoff spots. 8 are not.

The guy has played great but he has the easier job of the two.

Wow this is such a poor attempt to put down Kuempers performance.

Quick had choked away points against many poor teams too ... So what

Quick is getting older, and hes not the goalie he once was. Once people realize this, the less they will be let down

Reactions: deaderhead28

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh settle down.

Quick’s “better” is better. Right now he’s out of form, so you play the better goalie until that changes.

At this point that is all this is.

Never fails to astound me how uppity people get about backup performances around the league. There's a reason guys like Brian Elliott never stick as starters--they're phenomenal in small workloads of 20-30 games then disintegrate after that. See any number of backups that have left here for cushy starting jobs over the year as examples. Edit: or the Hawks, with Scott Darling, Niemi, even Raanta to a degree (though I like Raanta best). How many times did we have to hear Raanta and Talbot are better than Lundqvist, Jones > Quick, Niemi > Crawford, Lack > Luongo...

That being said yeah start the hot hand more and rest Quick more, he's no spring chicken anymore, and Sutter rode him like he used to ride Kiprusoff, ideally he tops out around 60-65 games, but it's very apparent when he needs a break these days. Stevens needs to sack up and sit him when needed.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Wow this is such a poor attempt to put down Kuempers performance.

Quick had choked away points against many poor teams too ... So what

Quick is getting older, and hes not the goalie he once was. Once people realize this, the less they will be let down
Totally agree.Quick lost his spot for a few games.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
No way in hell would you get Toronto to move Liljegren for Martinez. They wouldn't even move him for Muzzin. He is their Doughty lite
For some reason they’ve soured a bit on the kid.... they expected him to be NHL ready which he is offensively but his defense is still catching up .. also, never underestimate the desperation of that FO, fan base and city to try and put on a contender before new contracts are needed and depth is traded away ...

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
For some reason they’ve soured a bit on the kid.... they expected him to be NHL ready which he is offensively but his defense is still catching up .. also, never underestimate the desperation of that FO, fan base and city to try and put on a contender before new contracts are needed and depth is traded away ...
I think its more there fan base is so big ur always going to have people disagreeing no matter what the topic. From what i have read the majority of fans seem to want to keep him and are looking forward to seeing him in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad