2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kempe is a top prospect Dean never traded one top prospect in all his trades I would be willing to wager most of them he traded wouldn't be kings if we still had them

I'd consider the trading of the 13th overall selection in 2015 was equivalent of trading a top prospect, especially when you consider the fact of who was going to be available in that spot, many of whom are enjoying success in the NHL.

Guys like Cernak, Zykov and McKeown aren't at a level of a Kempe, but when these guys were drafted, we heard the comments from the scouts about each one of these second round picks being thought of as "first round" talent that they were surprised to see drop to them.

Of course, a lot remains to be seen of what becomes of them, but when you look at how those were some of the highest selections the organization had over the years, you would hope they would amount to something, say a better return that isn't here for a few months, if that.

Now the Kings have their best prospect this pipeline has seen in a very long time in Gabe Vilardi. The organization has to look at him and Kempe as mainstays to build around in the future. Kopitar can still hold the fort for another 4-5 seasons, but by the time he reaches his mid-30s, you'd hope that he's paving the way for Vilardi to take over, and the same for Kempe and eventually becoming Carter's successor.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I'd consider the trading of the 13th overall selection in 2015 was equivalent of trading a top prospect, especially when you consider the fact of who was going to be available in that spot, many of whom are enjoying success in the NHL.

Guys like Cernak, Zykov and McKeown aren't at a level of a Kempe, but when these guys were drafted, we heard the comments from the scouts about each one of these second round picks being thought of as "first round" talent that they were surprised to see drop to them.

Of course, a lot remains to be seen of what becomes of them, but when you look at how those were some of the highest selections the organization had over the years, you would hope they would amount to something, say a better return that isn't here for a few months, if that.

Now the Kings have their best prospect this pipeline has seen in a very long time in Gabe Vilardi. The organization has to look at him and Kempe as mainstays to build around in the future. Kopitar can still hold the fort for another 4-5 seasons, but by the time he reaches his mid-30s, you'd hope that he's paving the way for Vilardi to take over, and the same for Kempe and eventually becoming Carter's successor.

Picks are not prospects sorry i don't look at them that way because our scouts will like player A in that spot and another team would like player B who we may never have taken Its to subjective. I will agree that Zykov was hyped by our scouting staff however let not pretend we didnt get to have a better look at him after we drafted him and got him in the system It was then he was passed by others in our system and was deemed tradable. This is something i think ur overlooking. Yes they may have been drafted high but they were looked at before trading them and re evaluated as tradeable As far as i am concerned the picks were the major concern of the trades not the prospects that never would have made our team

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Picks are not prospects sorry i don't look at them that way because our scouts will like player A in that spot and another team would like player B who we may never have taken Its to subjective. I will agree that Zykov was hyped by our scouting staff however let not pretend we didnt get to have a better look at him after we drafted him and got him in the system It was then he was passed by others in our system and was deemed tradable. This is something i think ur overlooking. Yes they may have been drafted high but they were looked at before trading them and re evaluated as tradeable As far as i am concerned the picks were the major concern of the trades not the prospects that never would have made our team

So if the Kings won the lottery and traded the first overall pick before the draft, you wouldn't consider that trading a top prospect?

I agree with Ziggy. No matter what parameters or labels you want to give it, Lombardi traded a lot of younger key pieces to win now. And there is nothing to suggest he'd reel back on that behavior if he was still GM.

At worst, the Kings should be making minor moves and stay the course as an evaluation year, even if it means being in the black hole for another year. The only difference between this year and the previous couple seasons is that no major sacrifices should be made.

Lombardi's only attempt to trim fat the past couple seasons was trading away Dwight King and fixing the previous mistake of Mike Richards

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
So if the Kings won the lottery and traded the first overall pick before the draft, you wouldn't consider that trading a top prospect?

I agree with Ziggy. No matter what parameters or labels you want to give it, Lombardi traded a lot of younger key pieces to win now. And there is nothing to suggest he'd reel back on that behavior if he was still GM.

At worst, the Kings should be making minor moves and stay the course as an evaluation year, even if it means being in the black hole for another year. The only difference between this year and the previous couple seasons is that no major sacrifices should be made.

Lombardi's only attempt to trim fat the past couple seasons was trading away Dwight King and fixing the previous mistake of Mike Richards
As i said trading of the picks were the problems with the trades As those picks could be anyone in the draft picked after that pick number good or bad. Now dealing with your comment of trading of the first pick overall is ridiculous When was the last time we A had it B the pick was traded C i already said trading picks are a bad idea So call it however u want a pick is that its not a player because who u would take is not who i would take. How were they key pieces if they would never make the nhl roster? This is wishful thinking of them as key pieces. Our scouts had time to see the development of said prospects and determined they didn't work in our system or were deemed expendable. I don't see why people are upset about players that wouldn't make the team being let go. Make little sense to me but thats the right of every person i guess to fret over stuff that really don't matter in the long run.

I also think this doom and gloom black hole thinking is funny because i see us as a improving team Are we better then last year I think yes Is there room to go sure but people are acting like we are not moving forwards and seeing this year we had 6 or 7 rookies score there first goals and players like LaDue Kempe Iafallo Gravel Brodzinski etc all making the roster as progress i don't know what to say other then enjjoy the doom and gloom outlook you have.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Thank you for putting it so eloquently. I think a lot of us were waiting for that hammer to drop, so to speak, where Lombardi would reverse the course and realize he had to sell and accumulate more assets, but he did the opposite, which left many of us scratching our heads.

Hell, Boston is a great example of a team that retooled after they cashed out on a declining asset in Milan Lucic. They brought in some new blood and are now benefiting from those decisions. That is the foresight we thought Lombardi had, and hope that Rob Blake has.

Blake was a better defenseman than Don Sweeney, let's hope he turns out to be a better GM as well ;)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Trading Cernak was not a case of going all-in or anything. I don't like the trade and have said that it is either a bad trade or Cernak was a bad draft pick as there were many saying Cernak was not a loss.

Still, Lombardi did not trade last year's first to try to get this team over the hump. What "fat" has Blake trimmed off so far? I'll say it again: Blake is pretty much doing what Lombardi was going to do. The team is hamstrung a bit by LTCs and has Doughty looming on the horizon. Plan was to see what they have with a healthy Quick in net all year, hope some of the kids take a leap and then reassess. Lombardi had said they were going to get back to what got them to be a winner in the first place: drafting well and keeping 1st rounders.

Pretty sure DL didn't think his job was on the line last season or else he probably would of sacrificed more future for a playoff spot. If DL was still GM at this very moment, he would not look to trade Kempe. Saying he would is just wanting to bash on him for the sake of bashing on him.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
All teams and their fans over rate their own draft choices and prospects. It's human nature. Time will tell for all these players.

The Kings get a bump because our development system is one of the best in the league. Blake has things back on track. Patience brothers and sisters.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I had completely forgotten that Zac Leslie was still in the pipeline.

More than likely it is a case of the Kings wanting to give the guy an opportunity to continue his career elsewhere, seeing how he only appeared in 26 games in Ontario this season and he more than likely would not have been qualified and retained at the end of his contract year (which is this summer).

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Trading Cernak was not a case of going all-in or anything. I don't like the trade and have said that it is either a bad trade or Cernak was a bad draft pick as there were many saying Cernak was not a loss.

Still, Lombardi did not trade last year's first to try to get this team over the hump. What "fat" has Blake trimmed off so far? I'll say it again: Blake is pretty much doing what Lombardi was going to do. The team is hamstrung a bit by LTCs and has Doughty looming on the horizon. Plan was to see what they have with a healthy Quick in net all year, hope some of the kids take a leap and then reassess. Lombardi had said they were going to get back to what got them to be a winner in the first place: drafting well and keeping 1st rounders.

Pretty sure DL didn't think his job was on the line last season or else he probably would of sacrificed more future for a playoff spot. If DL was still GM at this very moment, he would not look to trade Kempe. Saying he would is just wanting to bash on him for the sake of bashing on him.

You keep repeating this, and it seems people are simply blinded by resentment toward Lombardi.

Blake has done nothing noteworthy of yet. This is still Lombardi’s team.

I’m reserving judgment on Blake until he actually makes a big splash and puts his own mark on this team.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Leslie to Vegas for future considerations. Clearing a contract spot to bring somebody in?
Blakes trading Andreoff for 7 prospects,he needed the room before the big trade.:sarcasm:

Dominos!

IMG_1198.GIF

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You keep repeating this, and it seems people are simply blinded by resentment toward Lombardi.

Blake has done nothing noteworthy of yet. This is still Lombardi’s team.

I’m reserving judgment on Blake until he actually makes a big splash and puts his own mark on this team.

Oh we’re not blinded by resentment toward Lombardi. We’re all well aware of the fact that his fingerprints are all over this current decrepit lineup.

I too wish Blake would put his own mark on this team as none of us wants to relive or endure the agony of the previous four years.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I have no resentment towards Lombardi, and appreciate all he's done.

But he does deserve criticism for the past couple years as much as he deserves praise for the years prior.

I still am fascinated by his methods and hope that one day he will write a book about his career, from starting off as an agent, to being mentored by Lou Lamoriello, taking over an expansion team in San Jose and transforming them into playoff contenders, the holdouts from Nabokov and Stuart that led to the eventual dismissal of Darryl Sutter and Lombardi himself... working as a scout with the Flyers, then finding his way back in the GM seat, having to rebuild a team that had missed the playoffs from 2003 through 2009, and turning that team around by building from within and accumulating assets for a number of years.

Then after a period of success from 2012 through 2014, everything went haywire, as did Lombardi's methodical approach. I am sure many, if not all, of us would love to read that book. As much crap as he gets (and as well deserved it is), believe me, it isn't forgotten how much the man was held to high regard for having the patience and foresight to hang onto draft picks and develop and cultivate a winning team.

He also had to deal with some unforeseen consequences and his loyalty undermined what we once thought was a shrewd and savvy GM who isn't afraid to make tough decisions.

Now, Rob Blake has some big shoes to fill, and I don't see success coming overnight. Hell, look at Ron Hextall as an example of a once heralded Assistant GM who many thought would be a terrific GM some day, possibly even replace Lombardi here in LA. What's he done in Philadelphia? That Brayden Schenn trade is an unmitigated disaster, and that team is average at best and hard pressed against the cap. Some things the Kings can relate with.

Hell, Dave Taylor and Sam McMaster catch a ton of flack, and it is all well deserved and earned, but I can also see some of the benefits that also left a lasting impression on this team. Let's just hope that Blake's tenure here is better than theirs. But right now, it's too soon to make any judgement call. I'd say it'll be fair to come back in a year and see what this team looks like after a full season and off-season with Rob Blake in the hot seat.

Then we can make a proper assessment, and roast him like Wally George used to roast his guests. Or give him kudos for recognizing that this team is in desperate need of a retooling. Time will tell, and right now, time isn't on their side.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The Ben Bishop trade? They gave up a high 2nd round pick in Erik Cernak to get 7 games out of Ben Bishop.

I don't know what direction he would have taken this team had he returned for another season, but given the makeup of the core of this team, what makes you think otherwise that he wouldn't desperately attempt to get this team back into the playoffs, which he had been trying to do in previous years when they missed them?

Cherry picking dates and ignoring past behavior would probably lead one to believe he wouldn't try.

I think that deal was more to help out our goalie getting played into the ground because Sutter had no confidence in Zatkoff to give Budaj a rest. Bishop was a better upgrade, unfortunately the team had quit on Sutter long before and really didn't help Bishop at all. If Lombardi had made the deal a month earlier, it might've worked better.
Cernak is projected to be at best a 3rd pairing dman which we seem to have a lot of in our system. No big loss as far as I'm concerned.

Herby

Thank You, Team 144
Feb 27, 2002
Wisconsin
Had Lucic accepted the Kings ridiculous contract offer then that would maybe have been the worst move of all. And that was in July of 2016.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Had Lucic accepted the Kings ridiculous contract offer then that would maybe have been the worst move of all. And that was in July of 2016.

At least we'd have our left wing locked in for 7 years :laugh:. Any way you slice it, that trade will burn the Kings for a decade.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
A lot of people here were in favor of that trade when it went down, when it was obvious that it sucked from day one

Sure on paper it looked great. Problem was the Kings didn't have the paper to sign him and only Lombardi thought he could get him for less that 6 mil.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

They said that? My mom said I was a very good looking young man too.

They were also picked between 37 and 50. Go through that range of picks over the years. A few all-stars in there, some excellent players, some with long careers, but if you happen to get a player at that point in the draft, then you lucked out. Most guys in that range, no matter how high a pick for any given team, don't do anything. Probably won't get a team altering guy in a trade for them either. Although they did trade 2nd and 3rd round picks for Gaborik, and he scored 14 goals in the playoffs.

If you figure on the law of averages, and Gaborik's performance in 2014 for what they gave up to get him, will probably require maybe 8 trades before the universe evens out. So, Sekera, Lucic, Versteeg, and throw in Bishop, why not. They're about half way there.

When you look at the history of teams, succession plans are very difficult to pull off. Detroit was the exception, and only now are they in a black hole place. Pittsburgh lucked out and got Crosby and Malkin to eventually replace Lemieux and Jagr, but that wasn't a plan as in handing over a torch. Jagr was long gone, and Lemieux was an owner/player. Montreal, NYI, Edmonton, Colorado, Dallas, NJ, haven't been anywhere near as good as they used to be.

Succession plans don't always work in a normal business either. Tough to replace unique talents that are doing their best at the same time. It wasn't just Kopitar and Carter. It was also Doughty, and Quick, and Williams had a career playoff performance in 2014, as did Gaborik. Muzzin was never better.

I don't believe Lucic or Lombardi thought that was actually going to happen. Outside of winning the Cup in 2016, I think both knew that was a one year relationship. Even if they did win, I'm not sure Lombardi could've made it all fit together with all the upcoming contracts.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think that 8 year deal was made knowing Lucic was going to reject it.

8 years and $34 million vs 7 years and $42 million. I know what one I'd take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad