2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think its more there fan base is so big ur always going to have people disagreeing no matter what the topic. From what i have read the majority of fans seem to want to keep him and are looking forward to seeing him in Toronto.
Just like TB, Toronto has a win now mentality and even a Alec Martinez is a huge upgrade to their current defensive core.. hence you have to take into account his experience, abilities and cap hit as huge pluses to the Leafs... TBL in the other hand would be downright terrifying if they had say Jake Muzzin rather than Mikhail Sergachev. Not saying Serg isn’t a top Dman because he is but in the win now mentality TB is in, Muzzin is more valuable than a very talented rookie on a cup contender..

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Just like TB, Toronto has a win now mentality and even a Alec Martinez is a huge upgrade to their current defensive core.. hence you have to take into account his experience, abilities and cap hit as huge pluses to the Leafs... TBL in the other hand would be downright terrifying if they had say Jake Muzzin rather than Mikhail Sergachev. Not saying Serg isn’t a top Dman because he is but in the win now mentality TB is in, Muzzin is more valuable than a very talented rookie on a cup contender..
I have dealt with a lot of trade thread to the leafs and they even object to him being included in there offers for drew. I would hate to see there reactions to a alec martinez for him and a 3rd However if u wish to post it i will hit watch and read it. I however i will predict u would be disappointed with the results

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think its more there fan base is so big ur always going to have people disagreeing no matter what the topic. From what i have read the majority of fans seem to want to keep him and are looking forward to seeing him in Toronto.
Just like TB, Toronto has a win now mentality and even a Alec Martinez is a huge upgrade to their current defensive core.. hence you have to take into account his experience, abilities and cap hit as huge pluses to the Leafs... TBL in the other hand would be downright terrifying if they had say Jake Muzzin rather than

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I have dealt with a lot of trade thread to the leafs and they even object to him being included in there offers for drew. I would hate to see there reactions to a alec martinez for him and a 3rd However if u wish to post it i will hit watch and read it. I however i will predict u would be disappointed with the results

The leafs make the POs and a guy like Amart is invaluable.. We as fans are pretty short sighted but just like others have stated, a true cup contender will sacrifice a young, talented player for a veteran especially one that helps your defensive corps immediately and into the future with a bargain of a cap hit... just look at our past trades and the talent we shipped off or look at past winners and what they’ve traded away....

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The leafs make the POs and a guy like Amart is invaluable.. We as fans are pretty short sighted but just like others have stated, a true cup contender will sacrifice a young, talented player for a veteran especially one that helps your defensive corps immediately and into the future with a bargain of a cap hit... just look at our past trades and the talent we shipped off or look at past winners and what they’ve traded away....
I don't see the leafs as true contenders yet Also there is no way we trade Martinez Blake believes we are a playoff team and no way would he made that sorta trade.

Reactions: deaderhead28

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Not sure why Toronto needs to have a win now mentality this season. They are a young team and are moving in the right direction.

I suppose Martinez would help them some in the short run, but I don't think Uncle Lou would give up anything significant to get him. There are probably better options out there for the Leafs as well, if they are even looking to make a deal for a 4-5 defenseman.

TB isn't going to sit Sergachev. He is playing very well and is only 19 years of age.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Not sure why Toronto needs to have a win now mentality this season. They are a young team and are moving in the right direction.

I suppose Martinez would help them some in the short run, but I don't think Uncle Lou would give up anything significant to get him. There are probably better options out there for the Leafs as well, if they are even looking to make a deal for a 4-5 defenseman.

TB isn't going to sit Sergachev. He is playing very well and is only 19 years of age.

I also don’t agree that the Leafs are contenders but the following reasons is why is stated what I did;
1) The fan base and market demand success and the pressures associated with that will lead to such trades
2) Edmonton absolutely killed the ability for young teams with Superstar youngsters to build with those ridiculous McD and Drai contracts... hence, I believe they will acquire veterans that can help shoulder the leadership to ensure they can net immediate gains..

As for the TBL, if they got Muzzin I’d expect Serg as part of the compensation. Heck, I’d even do a straight one for one swap..

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I also don’t agree that the Leafs are contenders but the following reasons is why is stated what I did;
1) The fan base and market demand success and the pressures associated with that will lead to such trades
2) Edmonton absolutely killed the ability for young teams with Superstar youngsters to build with those ridiculous McD and Drai contracts... hence, I believe they will acquire veterans that can help shoulder the leadership to ensure they can net immediate gains..

As for the TBL, if they got Muzzin I’d expect Serg as part of the compensation. Heck, I’d even do a straight one for one swap..
Lou Lamoriello and Mike Babcock are running the Leafs now, not Dave Nonis or Brian Burke.

Yeah, I am sure you would do a straight Muzzin for Sergachev swap. No way TB would make that deal.

Reactions: go4hockey

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I agree, Toronto is more the 2009 or 2010 version of the Kings, not quite ready to add that final piece at the cost of a great young player. They have to see what they have in some of those guys first. Although they certainly have a couple of very obvious holes. They've got Lou and Babcock, it's not their first rodeo. Edit: guess we shared a brain on this one! As long as they're making forward progress, those guys are all safe.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Would you guys consider deal around Hoffman and Kempe? I posted this in a trade board thread but it fell off the main page before anyone responded.

We have other guys who might be of interest too... Ceci, Pageau, Brassard, etc.

I keep hearing about Pittsburgh and Pageau but I can't see why you guys wouldn't be in on that too.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Would you guys consider deal around Hoffman and Kempe? I posted this in a trade board thread but it fell off the main page before anyone responded.

I keep hearing about Pittsburgh and Pageau but I can't see why you guys wouldn't be in on that too.
I would not be interested in trading Kempe He is the best forward rookie the kings have had since Kopitar Imo he is going no where

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

I would be against a Kempe for Hoffman deal as Kempe is younger, cheaper and under team control for longer. We should be done moving younger for older at this time as we need to restock with more young talent not more older guys.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Nothing Lombardi did after April 2016, when this roster failed him a second time, would suggest that.

The Ben Bishop trade? They gave up a high 2nd round pick in Erik Cernak to get 7 games out of Ben Bishop.

I don't know what direction he would have taken this team had he returned for another season, but given the makeup of the core of this team, what makes you think otherwise that he wouldn't desperately attempt to get this team back into the playoffs, which he had been trying to do in previous years when they missed them?

Cherry picking dates and ignoring past behavior would probably lead one to believe he wouldn't try.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What? He did that a lot.

Not after April 2016.

The Ben Bishop trade? They gave up a high 2nd round pick in Erik Cernak to get 7 games out of Ben Bishop.

I don't know what direction he would have taken this team had he returned for another season, but given the makeup of the core of this team, what makes you think otherwise that he wouldn't desperately attempt to get this team back into the playoffs, which he had been trying to do in previous years when they missed them?

Cherry picking dates and ignoring past behavior would probably lead one to believe he wouldn't try.

Is Cernak a desperate attempt at a playoff spot? More of a mid 2nd round pick anyway.

For one, Lombardi didn't trade a 1st rounder. Did it in 11, 13, 15, and 16. Didn't do it last year, and did nothing in the summer of 2016 either.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013

Based upon the rhetoric of Blake, Stevens, and the ownership, I'd be extremely surprised if they don't make moves to make playoffs this season.

I can't say whether or not Blake is going to make bad or good deals by TDL, but to say that Blake would hold pat while Lombardi would make moves for playoffs is disingenuous.

Also, even mentioning some speculative terrible deal and then saying "Oh Lombardi would have probably done that" is essentially a useless, unfalsifiable statement. What's the point?: Lombardi was a bad GM in the end? He makes bad moves? Blake is better? General venting? I just don't see the purpose.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Based upon the rhetoric of Blake, Stevens, and the ownership, I'd be extremely surprised if they don't make moves to make playoffs this season.

I can't say whether or not Blake is going to make bad or good deals by TDL, but to say that Blake would hold pat while Lombardi would make moves for playoffs is disingenuous.

Also, even mentioning some speculative terrible deal and then saying "Oh Lombardi would have probably done that" is essentially a useless, unfalsifiable statement. What's the point?: Lombardi was a bad GM in the end? He makes bad moves? Blake is better? General venting? I just don't see the purpose.

It was to reiterate the suggestion that trading Kempe would be a bad idea and a shortsighted move that wouldn't deliver long term results, i.e. most of Lombardi's rash decisions to trade for short term fixes over the years. That's the reason why this team finds itself in the position they're currently in. Do I really need to spell it out for you as to why the last few years of Lombardi's decision making is frowned upon and questioned?

I doubt Blake repeats those mistakes.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
It was to reiterate the suggestion that trading Kempe would be a bad idea and a shortsighted move that wouldn't deliver long term results, i.e. most of Lombardi's rash decisions to trade for short term fixes over the years. That's the reason why this team finds itself in the position they're currently in. Do I really need to spell it out for you as to why the last few years of Lombardi's decision making is frowned upon and questioned?

Please don't spell it out for me, it's already been constantly brought up and beaten to utter death over the past 4 years.

As for Blake repeating mistakes, so far I think he's been doing fine but things to consider are that this admin thinks this is a playoff team, we are conducting transactions in that fashion, Blake was trained by Lombardi, and most of the front office outside of coaching is still the same as it was under Lombardi.

I sincerely hope Blake doesn't, but to say you know for sure is unrealistic of how this team sees itself, and what the ownership and admin want from this season.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Kempe is a top prospect Dean never traded one top prospect in all his trades I would be willing to wager most of them he traded wouldn't be kings if we still had them

Reactions: KingTrouty

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

I'd be surprised if he makes a dean Lombardi trade for a rental.

Reactions: go4hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad