2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
never in my life have I ever thought after a random mid season loss: “I should go to the main board and start a thread talking shit about a player from a team my team didn’t even play.” Enter Calgary Flames fans...

Last edited by a moderator:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
In the last 11, where they're 3-8-0, Brown, Toffoli, and Gaborik have the same amount of combined goals as Shore.

ES goals:
Pearson, 3
Lewis, 3
Kempe, 2
Iafallo, 2
Kopitar, 1
Shore, 1
Gaborik, 0
Toffoli, 0
Brown, 0

The top 3 forwards in ES ice time in the last 11 games are Kopitar, Brown, and Toffoli, and they have 1 combined goal while 5v5. Kopitar has 1 ES goal in the last 17 games. Since Brown scored in his 1,000th game, he's got 1 ES goal in 15 games. Toffoli has 1 ES goal in 16 games.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
In the last 11, where they're 3-8-0, Brown, Toffoli, and Gaborik have the same amount of combined goals as Shore.

ES goals:
Pearson, 3
Lewis, 3
Kempe, 2
Iafallo, 2
Kopitar, 1
Shore, 1
Gaborik, 0
Toffoli, 0
Brown, 0

The top 3 forwards in ES ice time in the last 11 games are Kopitar, Brown, and Toffoli, and they have 1 combined goal while 5v5. Kopitar has 1 ES goal in the last 17 games. Since Brown scored in his 1,000th game, he's got 1 ES goal in 15 games. Toffoli has 1 ES goal in 16 games.
That's over the last 11 games. Hmm, I didn't realize it was this bad.

Just shows if a team's best players aren't the best players on the ice, the team is going nowhere.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That's over the last 11 games. Hmm, I didn't realize it was this bad.

Just shows if a team's best players aren't the best players on the ice, the team is going nowhere.

Without the pathetic home record against the Pacific:
26-15-3, or 103 points over 82 games

Without Carter:
22-19-4, or 87 in 82

Without the pathetic home record against the Pacific and Carter:
21-15-3, or 95 in 82

Last night notwithstanding, they're ok without Carter in games anywhere but at home against the division. Not great, barely good, but ok, even with whatever that was last night. And even with this awful last month.

Everything is going wrong right now. The forwards can't score, the defense gets abused, and Quick can't save a shot. Not necessarily in that order.

There couldn't be a bigger game than tomorrow night. The Yotes have 5 regulation wins in 51 games. The Kings barely have 1 SO win in 7 home games against the division. They already lost 1 additional point against Arizona this year. Can't throw points away against Arizona. Doesn't matter how or when, but they have to win tomorrow.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
As bad of a team as Arizona is, they seem to have our number. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we lost that game. Just as most people predicted during the summer, this team is mediocre. They are not horrible, but they are definitely not contenders. If there was no risk of losing Doughty, the best thing for this team would be to not make the playoffs and get another high first round draft pick, considering how deep the draft is next year.

Also, although I am not in favor of making a trade for the sake of making a trade, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea just to shake things up. For example, I would do a package revolving around Pearson to get a top 4 if such a trade could be pulled off. I just hope Blake doesn't waste assets get some borderline 5-6 defenseman at the deadline. We have plenty of those.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015

ES goals:
Pearson, 3
Lewis, 3
Kempe, 2
Iafallo, 2
Kopitar, 1
Shore, 1
Gaborik, 0
Toffoli, 0
Brown, 0

Brown goes as Kopitar goes. They've been split up a lot lately which lessens his effectiveness. Same as Toffoli and Pearson with Carter. Brown needs Kopitar to score.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
As bad of a team as Arizona is, they seem to have number.

They absolutely do. They get up for Kings games. Especially in LA. Combine that with how poor the Kings have been at home against the Pacific, and no way to know what Kings team will show up.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if we lost that game.

Nobody should be. Still disappoint if they do though.
Just as most people predicted during the summer, this team is mediocre. They are not horrible, but they are definitely not contenders. If there was no risk of losing Doughty, the best thing for this team would be to not make the playoffs and get another high first round draft pick, considering how deep the draft is next year.

If Doughty is going to go, he's going to go. The best thing might be to miss the playoffs regardless of Doughty. I'm tired of the whole Doughty question. Can't for it to be over, one way or the other. He could walk for nothing, and I'd be perfectly happy, because at least "What about Doughty?" wouldn't be asked anymore.

Also, although I am not in favor of making a trade for the sake of making a trade, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea just to shake things up. For example, I would do a package revolving around Pearson to get a top 4 if such a trade could be pulled off. I just hope Blake doesn't waste assets get some borderline 5-6 defenseman at the deadline. We have plenty of those.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
When Carter gets back we are still a center short. Put the 70 line back together as they seem to play to their strengths.

Brown and Kopitar would look good with young Kempe. That kid has energy and speed.

Revamp the 3rd line. I have grown to love Lewis over the years and he has show better hands this year but we need aProper center that wins big draws, that can shut down other teams top lines and put pucks at the net. Unfortunately every other team seems to have the same need.

The forth line should have Amadio in it. Kid will be a future player.

Our problem is we have guys like Gabby who is Jeykle and Hyde, we have plugs like AA and Clifford whom the NHL has past by and we have blah players like Shore, Mitchell and Co that do t really do anything overly well. Saying that all her problems in the bottom six can be overcome once Carter comes back and if we can land a proper third line center.

Or big problem is on defence where we have one of the best players in the league. Muzzin has the same problem as Gabby as you never know which player is showing up.

Martinez is the ultimate third pairing dman that is playing a slot up because of poor depth. We need either a true long term stay at home partner for Doughty or a guy that can carry the second pairing.

In order to go anywhere I believe we need

1. Carter back healthy
2. True #2 or 3 dman
3. Proper third line center

Reactions: Kingspiracy

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
In order to go anywhere I believe we need

1. Carter back healthy
2. True #2 or 3 dman
3. Proper third line center

2 and 3 are Voynov and Richards. Or should've been. This year, last year, the year before that.

The 4 Horsemen of the Kings apocalypse:

1) Voynov
2) Richards breaking down quickly
3) Brown not scoring
4) Lombardi's emotional attachment after winning

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I really think the Kings should sell this year with so many teams still in the hunt. This isn't a team that can compete right now. They can make the playoffs but not much else.

Martinez to Detroit for Tatar

Carter to anyone for a young scoring center/winger + 1st

Gaborik for anything

Clifford for a mid round pick

Waive Andreoff

Reactions: ibleedkings

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I really think the Kings should sell this year with so many teams still in the hunt. This isn't a team that can compete right now. They can make the playoffs but not much else.

Martinez to Detroit for Tatar

Carter to anyone for a young scoring center/winger + 1st

Gaborik for anything

Clifford for a mid round pick

Waive Andreoff
Selling the right pieces and getting the right pieces back (along great drafting if you trade for picks and great value signing on free agents) can retool your team very effectively.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Selling the right pieces and getting the right pieces back (along great drafting if you trade for picks and great value signing on free agents) can retool your team very effectively.

Of course but I see us as a mid tier team that can't contend but can't fail (Top3 pick). So sell what you can to take a run 2-3 years down the road. Don't be a Detroit but a Pittsburgh

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
never in my life have I ever thought after a random mid season loss: “I should go to the main board and start a thread talking **** about a player from a team my team didn’t even play.” Enter Calgary Flames fans...

I'm surprised he didn't follow it up with a Mike Smith is still better after trashing Quick. He failed to point out that Smith got pulled after giving up 3 goals on 5 shots in the 3rd. I laughed my ass off watching him melt down and smash his stick when he got pulled.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Of course but I see us as a mid tier team that can't contend but can't fail (Top3 pick). So sell what you can to take a run 2-3 years down the road. Don't be a Detroit but a Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh had the benefit of time. Two years ago Crosby and Malkin weren't 30 yet. Two years from now, Kopitar is 32, Quick is 34, Carter and Brown are 35, and Doughty might not be here. Ok, trade Carter, but this isn't Carter from 7 years ago. Who would trade for him? A contender. What contender is giving you some cheap young player with high potential for a now 33 year old? Carter went from Voracek and a top 10 pick, to Johnson and a low 1st round pick. His value isn't going to increase with age. The Jackets got rid of him because he didn't want to be there, and he shows no signs of not wanting to be here, so it's a little different, but they probably won't get their next leading scorer for a decade in any deal.

Even if you could trade Carter for something, you're still stuck with the other old guys. They just don't have the luxury of time. If you trade Carter, might as well trade everyone possible, get high picks, and build for 5 years from now, when Quick is finally gone, and Kopitar is in the last year of his deal and isn't weighing the organization down with a $10m cap hit. Let Kopitar, Brown, and Quick enjoy their retirement contracts in obscurity, and slowly create a foundation for 5-10 years in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad