2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Kings need what they’ve recently lost: a top six winger with some jam, a depth PK center who can chip in, and a cheap all situations veteran top four D.

Sounds an awful lot like Williams, Stoll, and Mitchell.

Too bad they couldn't develop players like that from within. I guess to a degree Pearson was looked upon as that Williams like winger, but he's been subpar this season in that regard.

Nick Shore or Nic Dowd were supposed to fill Stoll's role, and we all hoped at best that Forbort could develop into a Mitchell, and I think it is safe to say that they haven't been able to fill those skates.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Wow this is such a poor attempt to put down Kuempers performance.

Quick had choked away points against many poor teams too ... So what

Quick is getting older, and hes not the goalie he once was. Once people realize this, the less they will be let down

Late reply but whatever. It wasn't an attempt to put down Kuemper's performance, don't know why you assume that I'd be attempting to put down Kuemper.

My post is just pointing out that if you're going to compare point % its worthwhile to note the teams he acquired the points against. He's the back up, and as such has been called upon in situations in which playing the back up is expected. This is going to impact his numbers in comparison the guy with the heavier work load and the tougher match-ups. That's not a bias or critical comment against one or the other.

I have no issues with Stevens riding Darcy until he feels Quick is capable of returning to form.

Herby

Thank You, Team 144
Feb 27, 2002
Wisconsin
Hard to say that Lombardi learned from his mistakes or was trying to right the ship when he offered Lucic an 8 year deal.

And you can’t say that he knew he wasn’t going to accept it, he waived Greene to buy himself the cap space he thought he needed.

Lombardi had zero ability when it came to the cap and the fact that players aged and declined.

Smyth trade was a joke. Took on a 33 year old winger making 6.2 mill a year for three years when the cap was at 56 mill. Would be like Blake trading for Nash this summer except instead of being on an expiring deal he’d have 3 years left at 8+ mill. I don’t think people realize how fortunate the Kings were with how that played out, if Smyth hadn’t wanted to “go home” to the only team that was going to extend him the Kings wouldn’t have had the money to trade for Carter.

Brad Richards as others have mentioned, another guy who probably torpedoes the Kings chances to win.

Give Lombardi credit for building on what he was left with in Kopitar and Quick and adding the correct pieces around them to get over the top. But Dean had to make all these trades and signings because other than Doughty they weren’t able to add enough of these types of guys through the draft and had to pay ridiculously high prices in FA and/or trade to get these guys.

It was a tough situation for DL and ownership. DL made a lot of great moves and had a lot of good luck between 2010 and 2014 and then from 2014 to 2017 it was terrible moves compounded with terrible luck.

Still think Lombardi’s best situation is to either take over a team right on the cusp that just needs to add the right player or two or the situation he was in here where he inherited a plug and play star forward and an elite young goalie to build around.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
I just don't see it.There's nothing I would give up pick or asset for Phanuef.Its dumpster diving and not filling the top 4 defensemen hole.

If somebody takes Gaborik and offers an NHL player at this point you take it and run, while try to disguise your laughter as a rough cold.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Do not want Phaneuf. Iafrate 2.0 but without the wheels and haircut to make it worthwhile.

CBmyzROWIAAyfY-.jpg:large

Business in the front, party in the back. :yo:

He had a cannon for a shoot.

Phaneuf skates like he's got an anvil attached to his waist.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Just keep Gabs, he'll retire sooner than Phanuef.Phanuef is slow,older Bad cap and contact and not top 4.We got to many bottom 4 guys. Rather keep Gabs and wait for him to retire.I mean really, who are the Senators going to add to make this worth it?

Reactions: go4hockey

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Good question. Both? Seems like a situation both teams want out of.

Yeah, but all Ottawa is doing is bringing in a winger. Basically a useless player unless he's scoring. At least the Kings would be bringing in a D that has been playing 20 minutes. Kills a PK or two.

Could say Gaborik might retire early, and then the Kings are stuck with an even bigger cap hit. If that's the case, then ride out Gaborik, since Phaneuf probably isn't the missing piece.

Ottawa has about 70 contracts ending after next year. They may or may not be able to keep Karlsson. Between the two, my guess is the Kings would be the more desperate team in this trade. They have almost no contracts coming off the books for a couple years. They have a $5m winger on the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad