2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
or maybe the 10 prospects are better then we think ?

giphy.gif

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's a gif I never expected to see, what a reference :laugh:

but re: JAD even that article points out it's an age thing, he's suuuper young. And FWIW his rankings always seem to account for pro-readiness/distance from the NHL. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a different philosophy.

Herby

Thank You, Team 144
Feb 27, 2002
Wisconsin
The Kings need what they’ve recently lost: a top six winger with some jam, a depth PK center who can chip in, and a cheap all situations veteran top four D.

Sounds an awful lot like Williams, Stoll, and Mitchell.

The old regime couldn't find replacements for a very good 2nd line winger, an average #3 center and a very good 2nd pair defenseman.

Just think when it comes time to replace some of the really elite players we had.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Odd that JAD is regarded very highly but kept out of the top 10 due to age, even though Vilardi is very young too.

But he'll pat himself on the back for JAD rising on his own list I'm sure, even though he has him rated out of the top 10.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Isn't that the same as ocean/sea?Were both saying the same thing, you just being nice.
Perhaps but again its more about my outlook being glass half full vs your glass half empty outlook on things Both opinions have merit just one outlook is positive the other (yours) is negative, I prefer to try and be positive. I also believe in our scouting and development where you are leary. I as a king fan for 40 + years understand this because our development of prospect has been bad for the most part of the 40 years However the last 8 or so we have developed a lot more nhl players then most clubs in the nhl Not exactly superstars sure but solid late round players. Again its just down to ur doom and gloom thinking vs my there is the sunshine out there amongest the clouds

Last edited:
Reactions: BallPointHammer

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Odd that JAD is regarded very highly but kept out of the top 10 due to age, even though Vilardi is very young too.

But he'll pat himself on the back for JAD rising on his own list I'm sure, even though he has him rated out of the top 10.
I think its more he sees Vilardi being closer to nhl ready then JAD He has JAD spending at least 3 more years developing and i bet he probably sees Vilardi ready within a year. Age is only one thing he bases his ratings on

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I can't look at the Kings prospects and not put JAD in the Top 10, unless it is entirely based upon "Who will be in the NHL the soonest" and not on their impact at the NHL level.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think its more he sees Vilardi being closer to nhl ready then JAD He has JAD spending at least 3 more years developing and i bet he probably sees Vilardi ready within a year. Age is only one thing he bases his ratings on

He literally says at the beginning "it's an age thing. Expect a big jump in the rankings next season."

And his ratings are based off feedback from others and personnel. He doesn't have his own, because he has limited access to them.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
He literally says at the beginning "it's an age thing. Expect a big jump in the rankings next season."

And his ratings are based off feedback from others and personnel. He doesn't have his own, because he has limited access to them.

Which also means hes going to take longer to get to the nhl because hes younger. He also has him in a new catergory saying future is bright. This means hes going to have a good future just not going to be soon do to age Also i call bs on his rating based off just feedback from others as he also goes to a lot of games in person and has his opinion of the prospects which your just blowing off. A person can have his own opinion on people He does interviews with players and watches games. I guess its your right to be negative towards him but i don't get why it seems so personal to you? Anyways have a nice day *shakes head at people being so negative at this list

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Question for people on this board that know more about this issue. What are the consequences of having Vilardi get a cup of coffee with the team this season? Let's put aside the whole issue of hindering his development or getting him shell shocked from a brief NHL experience, is there any contract consequences? I know that there are some rules about entry level contracts and the consequences of starting pro early.

I think with goalies and defensemen you have to be very careful about not exposing them to the NHL before they are ready, but I see no downside in seeing what Vilardi has got as a winger or center for a 5-10 game span. If he is not ready, he can get sent down. If he is ready, then why not let him join the roster?

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Question for people on this board that know more about this issue. What are the consequences of having Vilardi get a cup of coffee with the team this season? Let's put aside the whole issue of hindering his development or getting him shell shocked from a brief NHL experience, is there any contract consequences? I know that there are some rules about entry level contracts and the consequences of starting pro early.

I think with goalies and defensemen you have to be very careful about not exposing them to the NHL before they are ready, but I see no downside in seeing what Vilardi has got as a winger or center for a 5-10 game span. If he is not ready, he can get sent down. If he is ready, then why not let him join the roster?
I don't feel like doing a CBA read and search at the moment so I'm going to try and go off memory. Which sometimes gets me in trouble.
But I think once a player has been sent down to juniors he can't be called back up unless their team has finished their season. Unless it's an emergency recall. And in that case they would likely have to not have another player they could call up.
For the part I know for sure is if he did get called up, say the other part is right, after the juniors season. If he played more than 9 games he'd burn a year of his ELC.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
He hasn't even signed his ELC yet, so he would need to get that done first before we even think of calling him up at the end of his season.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I remember Brayden Schenn played one game with the Kings against Vancouver I believe. I can't really remember the circumstances though.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Yep.

Brayden Schenn will make his NHL debut tonight with the Los Angeles Kings, after signing a “One-Day NHL Regular Season Amateur Tryout Agreement.” Since Schenn has yet to sign an entry-level contract with the Kings, it seems that they have are using a rare contract to get Schenn up to the NHL for just a game.

The CHL and WHL both had to agree to the tryout, which will not affect Schenn’s amateur status.
Brayden Schenn To Make NHL Debut Tonight With Kings

This is dated Nov 26th 2009, so his season the OHL wasn't over yet. This was under a different CBA though.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Which also means hes going to take longer to get to the nhl because hes younger. He also has him in a new catergory saying future is bright. This means hes going to have a good future just not going to be soon do to age Also i call bs on his rating based off just feedback from others as he also goes to a lot of games in person and has his opinion of the prospects which your just blowing off. A person can have his own opinion on people He does interviews with players and watches games. I guess its your right to be negative towards him but i don't get why it seems so personal to you? Anyways have a nice day *shakes head at people being so negative at this list

I contributed to his rankings of the past. Unless he has changed how he works, he bases his rankings off what feedback he gets and he pieces together his analysis based off what everyone says.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I contributed to his rankings of the past. Unless he has changed how he works, he bases his rankings off what feedback he gets and he pieces together his analysis based off what everyone says.
Well okay i know its personal now so i will let it go as to the personal comment and would like to think he would also contribute his own opinion with the other peoples The way i see it working is like his round table stuff every one has a vote him included and this is a compiling of all the votes his included but if u say he didnt contribute i am going to go with what u say as you were there just shocked because he comes off in his on air comments like he follows all the prospects closely

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The old regime couldn't find replacements for a very good 2nd line winger, an average #3 center and a very good 2nd pair defenseman.

Just think when it comes time to replace some of the really elite players we had.

To an extent they’ve replaced Williams with Pearson, so I’ll give them some credit there.

Mitchell was a special player. I don’t think there’s a comparable player in the entire league right now, both on and off the ice.

No reason they shouldn’t have replaced Stoll by now. Failure of drafting and development there for sure.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
To an extent they’ve replaced Williams with Pearson, so I’ll give them some credit there.

Mitchell was a special player. I don’t think there’s a comparable player in the entire league right now, both on and off the ice.

No reason they shouldn’t have replaced Stoll by now. Failure of drafting and development there for sure.

That was always one of my worries and I said so at the time even as some were ready to jettison Williams, Stoll, Regehr. We've already roughly replaced these guys from a raw statistical, production, role standpoint. But hockey DOES have intangibles. timing, clutchness, etc...when we lost those guys, yes, we got younger and faster, but we lost the requisite intangibles. I think it's fair to argue at what point their falling abilities intersect with their intangibles, obviously, but I agree that some of those guys are just flat-out irreplaceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad