2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
No teams are going to trade good contracts unless they get one in return nowadays, or if they are looking for youth, top prospects. The only available guys are going to come with baggage (like Ryan and Phaneuf). This is amplified with defenders. If anything, I see the Kings landing a lesser tier player, like a Folin. Those types tend to do pretty well in our system, though, so it would work. A top 4 is a pipe dream at this point unless Vilardi, Clague, or Kempe are part of the package.

I do see a continued attempt to get skill through under the radar signings (like Iafallo) and through the draft. That's hit and miss though, you never know how guys are going to hold up. I remember Weal being pumped up after 4 points in his first 5 games, but since then he's only had 10 points since, the same as Shore over that span. Iafallo has had struggles with the schedule as well. Some guys just never adjust. Quick fixes are a thing of the past, and though he made errors, DL understood the importance of long term planning. It's one of the things I hope Blake picked up and understands just how important it is.

Reactions: efhank

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Don't think Blake does anything right now. He's going to see how they come out of this losing streak. If they start playing some .600 hockey over the next few weeks, he sits tight at forward since Carter will be back and maybe tries to add some veteran depth on defense.

Don't think you'll be seeing any high-end prospects or high picks moving. Don't even think you'd see a 2nd rounder move unless the Kings go on an absolute tear. I think they are just going to try and make the playoffs and rely on the fact that if 11/8/32 are all going strong at the same time, they can hang with anyone.

I just can't see Blake going for a high-priced rental.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Bobby Ryan(3.7m) and Dion Phaneuf(3.5m) both at 50% retention... for fairly cheap, do you do it? Ryan has 4 years remaining and Phaneuf 3...pretty sketchy but a change of scenery for Ryan and playing with his buds could reignite him...Ottawa fans say Phaneuf still pretty solid as well.

Ryan-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Gaborik/Iafallo-Kempe-Lewis
Amadio-Shore-Mitchell
Clifford

Muzzin-Doughty
Phaneuf-Martinez
Forbort-Folin
Gravel

No way Jose.Phanuef is to old and not worth the effort or worth the assets for Sen's to retain salary for both players.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Don't think Blake does anything right now. He's going to see how they come out of this losing streak. If they start playing some .600 hockey over the next few weeks, he sits tight at forward since Carter will be back and maybe tries to add some veteran depth on defense.

Don't think you'll be seeing any high-end prospects or high picks moving. Don't even think you'd see a 2nd rounder move unless the Kings go on an absolute tear. I think they are just going to try and make the playoffs and rely on the fact that if 11/8/32 are all going strong at the same time, they can hang with anyone.

I really don't think Blake survives his job if Kings don't make the playoffs since this is still the same Lombardi staff that is in place and the same results for several years.Rumor had it ownership see's Blake part of the Lombardi group and so is Futa.Blake didn't go out and get a new coach he promoted Stevens.Blake didn't upgrade the roster in a serious way either,he just went safe and dumpster dived and brought up youth not ready or bottom 6 players one now in the Ahl from Europe and signed a over the hill Cammy not on the team and was traded for a player that was sent down and picked up on waivers.If it doesn't work someone is getting fired,Stevens or Blake in my opinion.Ownership wants Doughty to remain a King and this off season would honestly be the last chance to either to be extended or get value for him for a trade with a year left on his contract.Doughty wants to be on a competitive team, if Blake decision not to upgrade this roster and misses the playoffs maybe the nail in the coffin to keep Doughty.

Last edited:

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
From Elliott Friedman’s 31 thoughts, posted this morning...

5. A lot of the teams who are active, we’ve heard before. Buffalo, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Rangers, St. Louis, Ottawa. Watch Los Angeles. Just broke a six-game losing streak, but not satisfied with where they are.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014

I agree. You can’t be doing the rental trade and give up a 1st round pick if all you are is a bubble team. That was Sekera in 2014-15. Trade to make the playoffs. The only time you should be doing the rental thing is when the team is securely in, and now you are shoring up to compete with the other two or three top teams to make a run at the cup. The 2014-15 season demonstrated this risk.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I concur. This season has shown that 11/8/32 won't be able to sustain the kind of effort needed for the duration necessary to go deep in the playoffs. I hope Blake will even look to sell at the deadline if he can get something of real value for the future.

My evaluation is this roster is no better than 1st round playoff cannon fodder.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I really don't think Blake survives his job if Kings don't make the playoffs since this is still the same Lombardi staff that in place and the same results for several years.Rumor had it ownership see's Blake part of the Lombardi group and so is Futa.Blake didn't go out and get a new coach he promoted Stevens.Blake didn't upgrade the roster either,he just went safe and brought up youth not ready and dumpster dived.If it doesn't work someone is getting fired,Stevens or Blake in my opinion.Ownership wants Doughty to remain a King and this off season would honestly be the last chance to either to be extended or get value for him for a trade with a year left on his contract.Doughty wants to be on a competitive team, if Blake decision not to upgrade this roster and misses the playoffs maybe the nail in the coffin to keep Doughty.

Maybe it has already happened, but leadership in the front office should be sharing their plans with Doughty and taking his pulse.

Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Maybe it has already happened, but leadership in the front office should be sharing their plans with Doughty and taking his pulse.

True,if Blake does nothing at the trade line it could mean a change of guard coming and Ownership wants nothing done until new leadership is in place.I would think Luc stays on if a change of guard happens.

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
While it could just be a case of keeping the powder dry, anyone ever thought that not using the current cap space is due to AEG not wanting to spend much more money on the current roster since they are already spending a lot of money on the current team (Kopitar more than his cap hit/Sutter/DL maybe?/Richards/Greene) and expect results as is?

They will pay Doughty, sure, but I wouldn't fault them one bit for thinking they are already spending enough money as it is. Been spending a lot of money the last few years for one playoff win.

As for Blake, I'm known as not being a fan but firing him after this season if they miss the playoffs is asinine after saying that part of the reason to fire DL and promote Blake was because they were worried about losing him to another GM job.

For me, the changing of the guard already took place: the only GM and coach to bring a Cup to LA were canned. That's huge. If you think anyone would be fired, it would be Stevens but, again, he doesn't seem like Sutter at all and the players like him.

Doughty likes him. That's important.

Forget firing people: I think you see some "name" players moved in the off-season if they miss the playoffs. I think they will try to shake up the roster since they already fired the GM and coach and the roster still didn't perform. At some point, its on the players. We have been at that point the second DL/Sutter were fired.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
True,if Blake does nothing at the trade line it could see a change of guard coming and Ownership wants nothing done until new leadership is in place.I would think Luc stays on if a change of guard happens.
I have no inside knowledge, but I think it would be a pretty good bet that Luc was working behind the scene to get Dean relieved of his duties.

Not sure when the clock starts on Luc becoming accountable for the team's performance on the ice.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
While it could just be a case of keeping the powder dry, anyone ever thought that not using the current cap space is due to AEG not wanting to spend much more money on the current roster since they are already spending a lot of money on the current team (Kopitar more than his cap hit/Sutter/DL maybe?/Richards/Greene) and expect results as is?

They will pay Doughty, sure, but I wouldn't fault them one bit for thinking they are already spending enough money as it is. Been spending a lot of money the last few years for one playoff win.

As for Blake, I'm known as not being a fan but firing him after this season if they miss the playoffs is asinine after saying that part of the reason to fire DL and promote Blake was because they were worried about losing him to another GM job.

For me, the changing of the guard already took place: the only GM and coach to bring a Cup to LA were canned. That's huge. If you think anyone would be fired, it would be Stevens but, again, he doesn't seem like Sutter at all and the players like him.

Doughty likes him. That's important.

Forget firing people: I think you see some "name" players moved in the off-season if they miss the playoffs. I think they will try to shake up the roster since they already fired the GM and coach and the roster still didn't perform. At some point, its on the players. We have been at that point the second DL/Sutter were fired.
I think you are on the right track here. It's time for the players to be held accountable. I'm just not sure how you move some of the players off this roster that need to be moved.

Just a thought, but Doughty likes Babcock a lot too.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I really don't think Blake survives his job if Kings don't make the playoffs since this is still the same Lombardi staff that is in place and the same results for several years.Rumor had it ownership see's Blake part of the Lombardi group and so is Futa.Blake didn't go out and get a new coach he promoted Stevens.Blake didn't upgrade the roster in a serious way either,he just went safe and dumpster dived and brought up youth not ready or bottom 6 players one now in the Ahl from Europe and signed a over the hill Cammy not on the team and was traded for a player that was sent down and picked up on waivers.If it doesn't work someone is getting fired,Stevens or Blake in my opinion.Ownership wants Doughty to remain a King and this off season would honestly be the last chance to either to be extended or get value for him for a trade with a year left on his contract.Doughty wants to be on a competitive team, if Blake decision not to upgrade this roster and misses the playoffs maybe the nail in the coffin to keep Doughty.

Blake has one year to make the playoffs, but he does nothing to improve the team over the summer? That doesn't seem to make sense. Lombardi didn't do anything in his last year here to necessitate a firing if Blake gets one year or else with no moves to improve the team.

Not going to give Stevens more than a year? If they miss the playoffs, all that will be talked about is Doughty, and you'll bring in yet another coach into that situation? What coach are you getting with that uncertainty, plus a team that's got 1 playoff win, and 5 playoff games, in 4 years?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I have no inside knowledge, but I think it would be a pretty good bet that Luc was working behind the scene to get Dean relieved of his duties.

Not sure when the clock starts on Luc becoming accountable for the team's performance on the ice.

I think so too, his comments at the time that they had a 'difference in philosophy' tipped his hand. I bet he sold his vision of things to get himself and Blake hired. And I doubt very much if AEG is going to fire a GM (and Luc) after 1 yr, you can't fix all the holes that DL left in 1 year. And that 'difference in philosophy' I'd be is not trading youth and picks, weakening the farm system for a rental. They did a good job at the draft and will build on that.
Making a desperate trade, overpayment, to 'make the playoffs' isn't good management and the very reason Luc and Blake have new offices.
If they do make a trade, it should be to improve the team for now and the future, not a rental on short paper. Or an aging 'veteran'.

I have read and also heard Friedman mention that the Kings have been trying to get a top 4 d, but the price was too steep. They had been looking to increase scoring, as well but not as much as the defenseman. (They ought to call Colardo about Tyson Barrie, a good puck moving d who is on the market , and would be off IR by the deadline)_ Although I don't understand trading for winger like Kane, because it will cost them assets and a pick, (and he's a head case) I guess when the D they sought wasn't attainable, they looked at the lack of scoring and decided that might be cheaper.

I think their goal would be to create a better team and build a solid foundation for the near future.
But if they can make a trade to help the team for now and the future that won't cost too much, that would be the route to go.

I find it hard to believe AEG would fire either of them, that wouldn't solve a thing. Players and lack of leadership should be held accountable. How would a new GM change that?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
From Elliott Friedman’s 31 thoughts, posted this morning...

5. A lot of the teams who are active, we’ve heard before. Buffalo, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Rangers, St. Louis, Ottawa. Watch Los Angeles. Just broke a six-game losing streak, but not satisfied with where they are.

There was a lot of interesting trade speculation and such in that column...and I think he's right in that some of them will come soon. Too many teams close to a spot or in trouble of losing a spot and dropping down, to wait for the deadline
As he pointed out, the Habs will be busy, and Patches is on a lot of team's radars. I too heard that the Pens want him but don't have the asking price.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Wouldn't be surprised if Blake did pick up the phone and gave his buddy Sakic a ring regarding the price for Barrie which I'm thinking would probably be something such as a 1st round pick, top organizational prospect, say Clague and a top 6 forward like Pearson.

Is it known if Barrie is still on the block given the Avs recent assention in the standings and with a real shot at the playoffs?

We'll see what unfolds in the next 5-6 weeks. Should be interesting.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wouldn't be surprised if Blake did pick up the phone and gave his buddy Sakic a ring regarding the price for Barrie which I'm thinking would probably be something such as a 1st round pick, top organizational prospect, say Clague and a top 6 forward like Pearson.

Is it known if Barrie is still on the block given the Avs recent assention in the standings and with a real shot at the playoffs?

We'll see what unfolds in the next 5-6 weeks. Should be interesting.

If I'm not mistaken, the rumor last year was Pearson, LaDue, and a pick, or something thereabouts. I wouldn't be surprised if they were ok with moving him--not necessarily looking but not against it--given they're on a 10 game winning streak with him injured.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Blake has one year to make the playoffs, but he does nothing to improve the team over the summer? That doesn't seem to make sense. Lombardi didn't do anything in his last year here to necessitate a firing if Blake gets one year or else with no moves to improve the team.

Not going to give Stevens more than a year? If they miss the playoffs, all that will be talked about is Doughty, and you'll bring in yet another coach into that situation? What coach are you getting with that uncertainty, plus a team that's got 1 playoff win, and 5 playoff games, in 4 years?
Stevens was passed over as a head coach for a reason by Lombardi.He didn't promote him over Terry Murray and many were shocked to see Blake make a bad decision and promote him to head coach over the summer.Stevens in Philly couldn't make it either.Stevens isn't the head coach type to get a team to the cup as a assist no doubt.Stevens getting a one year shot is due to him being around since the Terry Murray days and Sutter.He would know what works and doesn't.He also be on a short leash as well being part of the old staff.Blake really is no different.He has been around since 2014 didn't change the staff or improve the roster in a meaningful way to succeed.It actually makes logical sense to give both a chance or one or both are gone and Luc goes out and finds a new coach and or GM and starts this rebuild or a big retool.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I think so too, his comments at the time that they had a 'difference in philosophy' tipped his hand. I bet he sold his vision of things to get himself and Blake hired. And I doubt very much if AEG is going to fire a GM (and Luc) after 1 yr, you can't fix all the holes that DL left in 1 year. And that 'difference in philosophy' I'd be is not trading youth and picks, weakening the farm system for a rental. They did a good job at the draft and will build on that.
Making a desperate trade, overpayment, to 'make the playoffs' isn't good management and the very reason Luc and Blake have new offices.
If they do make a trade, it should be to improve the team for now and the future, not a rental on short paper. Or an aging 'veteran'.

I have read and also heard Friedman mention that the Kings have been trying to get a top 4 d, but the price was too steep. They had been looking to increase scoring, as well but not as much as the defenseman. (They ought to call Colardo about Tyson Barrie, a good puck moving d who is on the market , and would be off IR by the deadline)_ Although I don't understand trading for winger like Kane, because it will cost them assets and a pick, (and he's a head case) I guess when the D they sought wasn't attainable, they looked at the lack of scoring and decided that might be cheaper.

I think their goal would be to create a better team and build a solid foundation for the near future.
But if they can make a trade to help the team for now and the future that won't cost too much, that would be the route to go.

I find it hard to believe AEG would fire either of them, that wouldn't solve a thing. Players and lack of leadership should be held accountable. How would a new GM change that?
Easier to fire a GM And Coach then to hold Leadership accountable.Kopi contract,Browns contract,Carters contract and Gabbys contract would be hard to move and or get something huge in return that wouldn't hurt this team.I would be shocked if one of Blake or Stevens isn't fired at the end of the season if they don't make the playoffs.Same staff same results won't cut it and someone will have to pay the piper.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Stevens was passed over as a head coach for a reason by Lombardi.He didn't promote him over Terry Murray and many were shocked to see Blake make a bad decision and promote him to head coach over the summer.Stevens in Philly couldn't make it either.Stevens isn't the head coach type to get a team to the cup as a assist no doubt.Stevens getting a one year shot is due to him being around since the Terry Murray days and Sutter.He would know what works and doesn't.He also be on a short leash as well being part of the old staff.Blake really is no different.He has been around since 2014 didn't change the staff or improve the roster in a meaningful way to succeed.It actually makes logical sense to give both a chance or one or both are gone and Luc goes out and finds a new coach and or GM and starts this rebuild or a big retool.
I'm not sure the Bud Light wizard could have significantly improved the roster this season, given the assets at the Kings disposal.

Now Sir Rob is going to give us all a personal tour of the Black Hole of Misery. To the Misery!! Dilly!!! Dilly!!!

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm not sure the Bud Light wizard could have significantly improved the roster this season, given the assets at the Kings disposal.

Now Sir Rob is going to give us all a personal tour of the Black Hole of Misery. To the Misery!! Dilly!!! Dilly!!!

Good to know i'm not the only one that thinks that commercial is hilarious... Dilly.. Dilly :laugh:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The funny thing about the current situation with the roster is that Dean Lombardi ended up making the exact mistakes he talked about avoiding.

He was aware that he was going down the wrong path, and went ahead repeating the same mistakes. That's what also led to George McPhee being dismissed as GM in Washington.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I for one am tired of mortgaging our future, and I think Blake is going to be cautious. If we play .550 to .600 hockey for 4 weeks, then get Carter back, why make a move? These are what if's of course, but losing the team's leading scorer from last season is a blow that most teams would struggle with, and that's where we have been, even though we overachieved early. Injuries are a legit excuse sometimes (never publicly) when in the last two seasons we have lost two or our four key core players due to injury for the majority of the season, players you can't replace. In the last 3 years we have traded 2 first round draft picks, plus Roland McKeown (now NHL), Colin Miller (now NHL), Martin Jones (NHL), Valentin Zykov (leading the AHL in goals) and Erik Cernak (+23 in his first 41 pro games in the AHL) for wasted moves to try and get better, all for not. Imagine where the depth of the organization would be if we had all those assets, and who knows who those 1st rounders would have been. We had the 13th pick in 2015 and traded it away. We could have had one of Mathew Barzal, Kyle Connor, Thomas Chabot or Brock Boeser, all picked after #13. In 2016, we gave up the 21st pick, and after the 21st, the Ducks got Sam Steel and Max Jones, two names that we will be playing against sooner rather than later. Blake has made statements about mortgaging the future and learning from mistakes his predecessor made. I hope he sticks to that thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad