2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
There is also the TSN and LaKingsInsider report that the Kings have discussed internally moving either Martinez or Muzzin for a forward to help with scoring. I think this is an issue the Kings will explore closer to the trade deadline, once they know whether LaDue, Gravel or MacDaddy are ready to step up and play big minutes.
I think we need to keep our current defense and maybe try to acquire a guy like Ian Cole. A good SAH defenseman to help anchor the blueline. I think LaDue has a great future with the kings but takes a lot of crap for being small. I don't think our problem is with our forward core, it's our daily rotating defense.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
The Lucic trade keeps looking worse and worse. Colin Miller is looking better and better and the pick could have been Barzal or Connor, plus what they could have gotten for Jones.

1 year of Lucic for Miller, Connor/Barzal, 1st + prospect...ouch!

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
The Lucic trade keeps looking worse and worse. Colin Miller is looking better and better and the pick could have been Barzal or Connor, plus what they could have gotten for Jones.

I look at it another way. Without that trade Lombardi and Sutter are likely still here. Miller would be the 7th d instead of LaDue. Barzal would be paying his dues in Ontario.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I look at it another way. Without that trade Lombardi and Sutter are likely still here. Miller would be the 7th d instead of LaDue. Barzal would be paying his dues in Ontario.

Probably. There's no guarantee Barzal is who he is now either. At this level, so much of that is timing, development, and who you got drafted by.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
As this seasons stands, I'm of the opinion that you need to add to the team so we can secure a playoff spot. So any defensive defensemen available so be our targets since the team has been missing that Mitchell/Greene/Regher like toughness for a few years now..

I am not at all against trading from our defensive depth and would prefer to do so, but what could we possibly get in return except a 5th-7th rd pick??? Frolin to my eyes is easily replaced by either Gravel or LaDue. MacDermid would be the perfect player for this team if he was a 4th line winger but alas he's a Dman and just isn't ready yet.... Vilardi, Amadio, Clague and our 1st rounder are untouchable so we're not in it for the big names....

Muzzin - Doughty
Forbort - Martinez
Gravel - LaDue
That can't be any worse than having Frolin-Fantenberg... I think we saw more potential in LaDue's 20+ games last season than we did for half a season from Frolin/Fantenberg/Macdermid...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Probably. There's no guarantee Barzal is who he is now either. At this level, so much of that is timing, development, and who you got drafted by.

Barzal dropping to the Kings that year seemed to be a real possibility, and isn't too dissimilar to what happened last year with Vilardi.

I think it was well acknowledged that Barzal had amazing offensive abilities that could translate well to the next level, and he didn't even have to bother spending a single second of getting acclimated with the "pro game." He graduated from the WHL to the NHL and is producing at over a point per game.

He should have been a King that draft day, but alas, being shortsighted was Lombardi's undoing, and that's what cost him his job.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Colin Miller is amongst the most sheltered d-men in the league. Martin Jones--aside from when he plays us, apparently--is bad enough that people wonder if Dell should be the starter (you know how people blast Quick for being anything under .920 at any point? Jones is .910 for the entire season thus far). The pick was a magic bean. Keep in mind we were highly regarded as a cup favorite and adding Lucic was supposed to be a boon. Hindsight is a fun tool but people forget what that looked like at the time, I still don't fault DL at all for going for it even though the result is obviously abysmal, it was similiar to his other trades that brought us Cups.

It would certainly be nice to have the assets at this point given the new GM/staff and the retooling on the go but I will never fault a GM for having the guts to go for it when history had shown how nutty good that team could be. You don't get that window enough, as we know.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm not losing any sleep over trading Jones or Miller. Lombardi capitalized on their increased trade value. That being said, you would think that Dean would be smarter to go after a winger or defenseman with term instead of one season of Lucic. Trading that first round pick in the deepest draft in 12 years really was the wrong decision. And he covered his ass when he traded for Sekera at the deadline in case we did miss the playoffs which was smart as well. I think Dean just got wide eyed when he heard Boston was looking to move him. I'll never blame a GM for trying to go all in, but there's got to be a calculated risk like there was with Carter or Richards.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Not defending the Lucic trade or even getting into it, but if we are going to cry about Miller then we can cry about McNabb too.

The major loss in the Lucic trade was the 1st rounder but who knows what would of happened. We can all say it would of been so and so, but the pick was being made by the group that brought you such hits as "Hickey at #4", "Trading assets to move up for Teubert" and "Trading up to get Forbort".

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Barzal dropping to the Kings that year seemed to be a real possibility, and isn't too dissimilar to what happened last year with Vilardi.

Hopefully the Kings will have their latest draft luck with Vilardi then. Maybe it cancels out Barzal eventually. Although maybe Barzal was the universe's payback for Kopitar falling to #11. Maybe Kopitar was making up for Berg. Maybe Berg was making up for finding Robitaille so late in a draft. Maybe Robitaille was for missing out on Bourque. Maybe missing out on Bourque was the cost of having a team in LA to begin with.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Hopefully the Kings will have their latest draft luck with Vilardi then. Maybe it cancels out Barzal eventually. Although maybe Barzal was the universe's payback for Kopitar falling to #11. Maybe Kopitar was making up for Berg. Maybe Berg was making up for finding Robitaille so late in a draft. Maybe Robitaille was for missing out on Bourque. Maybe missing out on Bourque was the cost of having a team in LA to begin with.

So you're saying the Kings will find some luck at some point in the next decade? What's another four decades of futility?

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So you're saying the Kings will find some look at some point in the next decade? What's another four decades of futility?

The norm for most franchises ;)

Hell we could strike lightning in the draft and still have a shitty team. We couldn't win a Cup with the greatest player in hockey history on our roster.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The norm for most franchises ;)

Hell we could strike lightning in the draft and still have a ****ty team. We couldn't win a Cup with the greatest player in hockey history on our roster.

Seems like the one constant and the running theme in all of the past (and current) failures was the constant trading of draft picks.

It's been the undoing of many franchises, and the one constant that you need is replenishing the organization with quality players.

Since the start of the franchise, right up until Lombardi took over, the organization was just so horribly mismanaged. Sadly, the latter years of Lombardi's tenure will be much maligned, but we can't forget the role he played in building two Cup winning teams, through the draft and astute trading.

It's unfortunate that that got lost on him and he was hellbent in recreating the magic of past years. Hopefully Rob Blake and company keeps that in mind. You don't build a team by signing free agents and trades, it doesn't work that way anymore in a salary capped league.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Seems like the one constant and the running theme in all of the past (and current) failures was the constant trading of draft picks.

It's been the undoing of many franchises, and the one constant that you need is replenishing the organization with quality players.

Since the start of the franchise, right up until Lombardi took over, the organization was just so horribly mismanaged. Sadly, the latter years of Lombardi's tenure will be much maligned, but we can't forget the role he played in building two Cup winning teams, through the draft and astute trading.

It's unfortunate that that got lost on him and he was hellbent in recreating the magic of past years. Hopefully Rob Blake and company keeps that in mind. You don't build a team by signing free agents and trades, it doesn't work that way anymore in a salary capped league.

I'm hoping the Kings will stick with that part of DL's philosophy, but I don't think we'll see it until they milk the current core for everything it has. Even if it will probably be futile to do so, I don't have a problem with them going for it for another year or two as it's certainly possible for this team to get hot at the right time. After that they should really go nuclear, compile all the assets they can, and build a core of players of similar ages. It would suck to see guys go that were such a big part of the cup wins, but better that than hanging on to past glory until the bitter end.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
No one is saying that they shouldn't have traded them... They're just saying we shouldn't have treaded them for one year of the NutCracker

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
LA should draft the best sniper available. They have to many inconsistent players on this team. I don't care how bad the guy is in the defensive zone. Just as long as he can score goals. You can always teach him how to play defense later.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
LA should draft the best sniper available. They have to many inconsistent players on this team. I don't care how bad the guy is in the defensive zone. Just as long as he can score goals. You can always teach him how to play defense later.

And we've seen players like that adapt as well, and they're capable of doing so because of how smart they are. Take Yzerman and Modano as examples of players evolving into being more than just flashy, big-point producers.

Hell, Ziggy Palffy was one of the best players at both ends of the ice because of how smart he was. God damn, I miss seeing a player of Ziggy's skillset in the lineup, or a sniper like Luc who despite his skating deficiencies, you always knew he was giving his best effort.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Note to Blake,the big club needs trade help not doing ahl players favors.Starting to believe Blake is to scared to make a real hockey trade to improve the big club.
So you want the FO to give up what little assets we have for the sake of what exactly???
wtf is a package of Vilardi, Amadio, Clague soing to gets us??? oh course, this is after you take into consideration that you just dealt away years of cost control and much needed organizational depth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad