2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
I believe Doughty very much wants to stay in LA, both sides will agree on new contract because Kings will pay him what he's worth/wants and how the Kings finish the season won't make him want to leave unless the team completely bombs out the rest of the season.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
The main board zombies are out for Dustin Brown.I'm taking Sol advise and leaving that thread.After trying to have a civil discussion with those folks hating the Brown decision,its a no clue or common sense zone.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Kings are going to buy. I’ve read multiple times that Blake and company believe we still have a shot at a cup with this core, and intend to go for it.

I certainly don’t like what I’m seeing from this team, but if we can add two solid pieces before the deadline, I think we have a chance. As long as we hold on to Vilardi and Clague, I could care less to see prospects like Ladue or Amadio sent out for upgrades. I don’t see Amadios game translating at the NHL level anyways... completely ok with trading one of our 1st rounders for either this year or next years draft as well...

Reactions: deaderhead28

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
We’re going to have trouble preserving futures while also fighting for the here and now of being competitive and holding Doughty’s attention.

Seems to me we are half assing two separate things. We should whole ass one thing.

Start selling, or inquire about Shea Weber.

No thank you. Weber is 32 and signed for a lifetime more. Don't waste assets on Weber. Spend the assets on someone like Trouba. If Doughty leaves then you go after Karlsson. They both will test FA and Karlsson will most likely want out of Ottawa.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Couple of things:
1. What happened to team toughness?
2. Will MacDermid ever become a reliable NHL d-man?
3. Has this been a worthwhile season considering all the changes made over the summer?
4. Player development is excellent, but is the college model taking way too long vs the CHL and European timeline?
5. Has team identity become muddled, inaccurate?
6. Can management avoid black hole hell or is it inevitable?
7. If the latter, is life as a hockey fan run its course?

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
After this 6th straight loss and falling from first in the division and second best record in the first half to sliding all the way down and now out of the playoffs ownership has to be pressuring Blake at this point to fix the issue or be fired.Blake doesn't have room to play this season safe since rumors since the start of season were saying Blake is on the hot seat to get this team in the playoffs.due to Blake being part of the old guard and Stevens was his pick to take over as head coach.Stevens was also part of the old guard.I don't see Stevens lasting much longer.This team isn't losing due to Carter,it's a entire bench custer.Thats either leadership or coach.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I think if he got healthy that would go a long way to him actually playing up to his ability. We have had this sorta situation before with Mitchell williams handzus etc I would be willing to bet the cali sunshine would have a positive effect on him

Just seems like way too much of a risk, dude has never been healthy.

After this 6th straight loss and falling from first in the division and second best record in the first half to sliding all the way down and now out of the playoffs ownership has to be pressuring Blake at this point to fix the issue or be fired.Blake doesn't have room to play this season safe since rumors since the start of season were saying Blake is on the hot seat to get this team in the playoffs.due to Blake being part of the old guard and Stevens was his pick to take over as head coach.Stevens was also part of the old guard.I don't see Stevens lasting much longer.This team isn't losing due to Carter,it's a entire bench custer.Thats either leadership or coach.

I doubt that very much. This is probably not even a blip on Anschutz' radar. Guys like that don't get to be worth 12 billion dollars by being short sighted and reactionary.

Reactions: go4hockey

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I doubt that very much. This is probably not even a blip on Anschutz' radar. Guys like that don't get to be worth 12 billion dollars by being short sighted and reactionary.

I guess we'll have to see if the rumors are true about Blakes job and or Stevens as mentioned earlier this year.AEG is a business and they can't justify the raising cost of tickets if the production isn't justified.Owners wife is a fan as well.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I guess we'll have to see if the rumors are true about Blakes job and or Stevens as mentioned earlier this year.AEG is a business and they can't justify the raising cost of tickets if the production isn't justified.Owners wife is a fan as well.

This is just something The Mayor mentioned in a podcast, so take it with a huge grain of salt. He also said several time that Davis Payne was going to be the next coach.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Blake being fired after one season would be a bad look for the Kings, that just doesn’t happen with NHL GM’s.

But I think it’s fair to question whether it was the right move to promote the associate coach, asst. GM and director of scouting after how the Kings played the previous 3 seasons and how poorly the drafting was. I was hoping that Blake and Stevens would change things but it’s unfortunately been more of the same.

In hindsight the Kings probably should have opted for the complete gutting and moved on from everyone but they decided to stick with Blake, Stevens and Futa and it’s very unlikely they start talking changes at GM until atleast after next season.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Should have traded Carter after last season. The teams days of contending were clearly over, they committed long term to Kopitar and drafted Carter’s likely replacement. Carter was 32 but coming off an excellent season and with his playoff history he would have brought back some very nice pieces. Now he is a year older and coming off a major injury.

Similar situation with Muzzin a couple of years ago. Not as drastic because he was younger but his value was never going to be higher and the Kings could have probably gotten a young goal scorer we so desperately needed in the system.

This years player who should be traded is Lewis. He is 31, signed for cheap and having the best season of his career. He can play center or wing and has Stanley Cup experience. A contending team would overpay at the deadline for a player who will be on the downside by the time the Kings are contenders again.

Not optimistic at this point that the tough decisions can be made by these guys in charge. Maybe it’s to fresh on the mind with how Stoll was given a long term deal and a raise after his awful 2012 or how Richards was brought back when he was literally the worst player on the roster in 2014 or how Greene kept coming back even when it was apparent he couldn’t keep up with the NHL speed or the laughable 7 year extension offer to Lucic.

If Blake doesn’t move on from some these guys by the start of next season then he probably isn’t the guy to turn this around.

Kopitar, Quick, Doughty (unless he won’t sign) and Kempe are the only guys who should be guaranteed to be back.

Not saying trade everyone but atleast a few of Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Carter, Martinez, Shore, Clifford, Andreoff should not be on this roster come opening night next season. You can’t just miss the playoffs every year and bring all these guys back because they won SC’s 4-6 years ago.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I agree with Herby's thoughts here. If the current front office leadership continues to push the idea this roster with just a few minor tweaks is a cup contender, it's just going to prolong the agony.

Some here seem to hate the idea of a rebuild. I very much enjoyed the last one. It was fun seeing a group of young guys come together and reach the pinnacle of what can be accomplished. It takes time, and a little luck, and there are no guarantees. I want to see an organization striving to win the Stanley Cup, not just be competitive for a playoff spot.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I think the current roster can be a strong playoff team. The problem is Stevens. When the season first started, the new offensive style they played (whether because Stevens was preaching it or the assistant coaches) worked. The Kings were driving down the middle of the ice, and making creative plays in the offensive zone, instead of simply playing along the wall and passing to the point for shots. At some point, I think in December, Stevens reverted the team back to the old-Sutter style of hockey. Perhaps he thought we had stock-piled enough points, and should go back to a conservative style for the playoffs, but it has back-fired. If this team goes back to the style they were playing at the beginning of the season, the current squad can turn it around and make the playoffs. Right now, they are lifeless and playing like they did last season with no emotion and no creativity.

If we don't make the playoffs this year, I think we have no choice but to do a rebuild or retool. First and foremost, Doughty is sure as gone. I don't see how he will stay with the Kings if we don't make the playoffs. He will get paid his max salary by many teams. He might as well go to a team that is a contender and/or a state with no or low state income taxes. If we don't make the playoffs, you trade Doughty in the offseason, along with Martinez or Muzzin, and Carter, as others have suggested. I don't think we should trade Kopitar, unless we get lucky, win the lottery, and draft another franchise #1 center.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
When is it ever the players' lack of talent?

It's Sutter's fault, it's Stevens' fault? The players got Sutter fired and got exactly the type of coach they wanted is Stevens. This is on the players, not the coaching.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
When is it ever the players' lack of talent?

It's Sutter's fault, it's Stevens' fault? The players got Sutter fired and got exactly the type of coach they wanted is Stevens. This is on the players, not the coaching.

I said it months ago: this will be a streaky team without having a coach like Sutter keeping the team on an even emotional keel.

Stevens hasn't shown an ability to measure the pulse of a team.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I said it months ago: this will be a streaky team without having a coach like Sutter keeping the team on an even emotional keel.

Stevens hasn't shown an ability to measure the pulse of a team.
The players haven't shown the ability from a talent perspective to perform consistently at a high level against opponents in the Pacific Division. I also question the overall mental toughness and resolve of this group of players as a whole.

It's time to move on from the player personnel on this roster.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
To be more specific, it's the lack of talent on defense. I don't care where we are ranked in the NHL. Individually, our defenseman have very little talent. And most struggle to make tape to tape passes. You want to see what part is struggling the most? Our defenseman can't make good first passes. They're slow to get to the puck on forecheck, and cough it up in hilariously dumb ways.

Our transition game has been awful because of that now.

The most important thing for me about offense is how quickly you can move the puck up the ice. And our defense doesn't have the talent to.

Martinez makes a ton of dumb plays but after Doughty, Muzzin, and Martinez, the rest are 6/7s. Martinez himself should be a 5-6 IMO.

I think our forwards are good, there isn't a lack of talent there.

Defense I think undeniably has very little talent.

Ducks have Manson, mountour, lindholm, and fowler. Those are 4 guys who are solid at passing and talent.

Even muzzin is poor at passing. If you think muzzin is good at passing, just compare his passes to Doughty...Doughty has a really good first pass, and passing ability in general, no one comes close on our team.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Reload don't rebuild,and no to trading Carter or Muzzin.Over thinking this is not good.Their not going to get a team to take Carters long contract.Keep him to mentor the young guys.This team is hurting on veteran leadership.Doughty is a joke at leadership.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Kings are best to stay the course and build thru the draft. Look at the Bruins and all the rookies playing. Gotta keep the picks.
Look at buffalo,they kept all the picks as well, still not a contender.Gotta trade picks and youth to build a contender as Lombardi did for the two cup wins.After that Lombardi got too carried away.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
To fire Blake after signing Cammy, Folin and Kuemper would be a very bad look for the Kings. Talk about not giving the guy a chance to show what he's made of. The team stinks right now but at least it's intriguing to see what direction Blake and Co. will go from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad