2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
If LA is buying, an interesting name is Sobotka for our 3C. Wouldn't cost a tun since he's an expiring contract.

I dunno if the Blues deal him. They are a pretty good club and should be in the playoffs.

He still has two more years left after this season at $3.5 million.

I'd look more toward a guy like Pageau out of Ottawa. 25 years old and has 3 years left on his deal at just over a shade over $3 million. He's a solid player, had a nice playoff last season. Maybe see what his price is in a package with a guy like Ceci.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
3. New coach. I didn't say much when he was hired as everyone deserves a shot. I like what Blake has done with acquisitions so far and trust him in the future. Unfortunately I think in going with Stevens, he provides to much old regime coaching to this team and the team has become very readable or productive.

I question some of his lineup choices and who he uses in certain situations. There is a difference from sutter but still many similarities. In the past the team could rely on a defense first system as we had the dmen to do it and 4 lines of responsible forwards that could aid led by 4 stud centers in their slotted roles.

I believe we need a coach that brings in a whole new philosophy. Horses like Kopitar, Carter, Lewis will will always play great D as it is engrained in them. We need guys that let loose and play more free.

We need a coach that allows some creativity. I love watching Kempe. Grab puck push hard into other teams zone. No drop pass crap.

They're playing much looser than they have for a long time. They even get outshot in a lot of games. Who is coaching while Kempe grabs the puck and pushes hard into the other team's zone? Does Stevens duck out when Kempe gets a shift?

Take out the 12 goals they've scored in the 7 Pacific home games, and they've got 116 in the remaining 38 games, which is an average of 3.05, and that would have them 9th in the league. Carter has played in 6 games, with 0 goals, so 116 into 39 gets you 2.97 goals per game, which would be good for 13th. Without their 1A center.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I dunno if the Blues deal him. They are a pretty good club and should be in the playoffs.

I'd look more toward a guy like Pageau out of Ottawa. 25 years old and has 3 years left on his deal at just over a shade over $3 million. He's a solid player, had a nice playoff last season. Maybe see what his price is in a package with a guy like Ceci.
He's going to cost more than we'd like.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
IMG_1065.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Agreed. I expect a Brown suspension, but Malkin getting off scott-free again on the umpteenth time on the basis that he's not a 'repeat offender' or something is horse shit.

Maybe it happens more against the Kings than other teams but that guy gets away with f***ing everything and our games vs. the Pens are usually just clean and hard-fought until he does something completely insane every. single. time.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The acronym for the dept. of player safety really should be DOPES because a lot of stuff falls through the cracks. They need a spot check system where they watch random games for things officials miss so it's more consistent.

As far as the team's play, they'll come around. They aren't as bad as their recent play indicates, just like they aren't as good as when they were streaking. Overall I think this team is closer to the better version than the bad one. I don't expect the slide to continue, they looked fed up last night. Carter returning will give them a boost. We just have guys slumping at the same time, which is common in January for this group.

The defense is still a concern, though, and bottom line is they aren't starting the play quickly like they did earlier in the season. Drew has been great, Muzzin has been really good overall. Folin has been solid. Forbort has been up and down, he's regressed a little but is still passable. Martinez has been poor, and he gets stuck with inexperienced guys all the time which makes it worse. The rest of the blue line hasn't been anything to write home about, and look borderline on most nights. I'd like to see Fantenberg more, he certainly couldn't do worse than what has been rolled out. At least he'll try and get the play going.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The core on D is Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez and Forbort. The #5 and #6 were always a question this summer, but Folin and Gravel look pretty good. I was hoping MacD would take over and one of Gravel/LaDue would step in. This would have been my ideal line-up.

Doughty-Forbort
Martinez-MacD
Muzzin-LaDue/Gravel

The bottom 6 is an issue again.

Nick Shore - 3 goals
Alex Iafallo - 2 goals
Torrey Mitchel - 2 goals
Kyle Clifford - 1 goal
Andy Andreoff - 2 goals
Johnny Brodzinski - 2 goals

Lewis is having a career year with 11 goals and Gaborik has 7 goals in 23 games, inconsistent, but not bad.

Doughty can say all he wants about Shore doing this and that no one sees, but the bottom line 3 goals in over 40 games doesn't cut it as the 3rd line center. Kempe is now back on the wing. Kings have a #1 center in Kopitar, an injured #2 in Carter, a possible number #3 in Kempe, who is young and better on the wing, and then about three #4 centers in Shore, Mitchell, and Amadio. Unless Kempe stays at the #3 center or Amadio steps up, the Kings really don't have a #3 center. Shore is playing like a 4th line center. Kings really never replaced Stoll, a guy who can win face-offs and chip in 10-15 goals and about 15-20 assists.

Shore has 13 goals in 214 NHL games. COME ON.

Also, Torrey Mitchell is a -8 as a King.

I guess with the stats above, we don't even solid #4 centers.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
If Blake is smart he won't deal for any pending ufa.

While I know that we all hope that Blake doesn't make the same mistakes DL made with Sekera + Lucic, I'm a bit scared that if the team doesn't at least make the post season that Doughty isn't going to resign.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
While I know that we all hope that Blake doesn't make the same mistakes DL made with Sekera + Lucic, I'm a bit scared that if the team doesn't at least make the post season that Doughty isn't going to resign.

I agree and that’s the scary part. That could make Blake desperate enough to where he makes deals he knows he shouldn’t be doing.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i don't think doughty is gonna get scared off by team success/failure, he's got his cups and he's about to get paid handsomely

he's going where the money is no matter what

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Boy if the likes of Muzzin and Amart get bashed by King fans would love to hear what would be posted he on Bogosian as he is not a good defenseman at all.
I think if he got healthy that would go a long way to him actually playing up to his ability. We have had this sorta situation before with Mitchell williams handzus etc I would be willing to bet the cali sunshine would have a positive effect on him

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree and that’s the scary part. That could make Blake desperate enough to where he makes deals he knows he shouldn’t be doing.

I dunno, he's in year 1. He's essentially got carte blanche this year at least I would imagine. Won't really start feeling the heat until next year. Average GM term is 5 years, median is 3.5-4. With a player with as much goodwill in the org as Blake, he's got some time before panic moves I think.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Blake needs to make a move now if he wants the Kings to make the playoffs. By the time Carter comes back mid- to late- February, it will be too late, and his impact wont even be felt until 5 games in. The future of this franchise is on the line this season. If we don't make the playoffs, say goodbye to Doughty and start the rebuild. As much as a hate wasting a first rounder again, we really have no choice. Need to get an impact rental now (if possible). Someone like Maroon and Kane will definitely give us a boost.

On defense, I wouldn't hold my breath on a trade being available. Nearly every team in the NHL would love to get a "top 4 defenseman" and trades for one are rare. I hope that LaDue can take care of that job. If not, we just have to deal with what we have and try to improve our forwards.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
D is not the issue, most teams would die for just one of Muzzin or Doughty. We have both AND also Martinez. Forbort is a typical #3 or #4. Gravel and LaDue have a lot of potential, I thought Gravel has really looked good. MacD is in the wings and Folin is a fill in.

The issue is the bottom 6.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Los Angeles’ Dustin Brown fined $10,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for cross-checking Pittsburgh’s Justin Schultz.</p>&mdash; NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) <a href="">January 19, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for spearing Los Angeles’ Dustin Brown.</p>&mdash; NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) <a href="">January 19, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: deaderhead28

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Blake needs to make a move now if he wants the Kings to make the playoffs. By the time Carter comes back mid- to late- February, it will be too late, and his impact wont even be felt until 5 games in. The future of this franchise is on the line this season. If we don't make the playoffs, say goodbye to Doughty and start the rebuild. As much as a hate wasting a first rounder again, we really have no choice. Need to get an impact rental now (if possible). Someone like Maroon and Kane will definitely give us a boost.

On defense, I wouldn't hold my breath on a trade being available. Nearly every team in the NHL would love to get a "top 4 defenseman" and trades for one are rare. I hope that LaDue can take care of that job. If not, we just have to deal with what we have and try to improve our forwards.

Don't see Blake or Luc making the DL mistakes of the past , sacrificing the future for a quick fix rental. It won't make them a contender, and it would weaken them as a team. They're not good enough to compete for the WC or SC, yet. But if they draft right, build right, the ywill be. Unless the top 4 D coming back is young , non rental wit ha good paper, and even then I don't see them giving up a first, esp in a draft year that is loaded with skilled d, esp Swedish D.

By what I've been reading/hearing, they have been trying to get a top 4 D, but the price is 'steep', a top line forward. I do think they will make a move, but not one that involves giving up draft picks. That is a step backwards.
There are players that other GM's have to move as well, so they might find a good partner for a fair trade.

Reactions: KINGS17

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I dunno, he's in year 1. He's essentially got carte blanche this year at least I would imagine. Won't really start feeling the heat until next year. Average GM term is 5 years, median is 3.5-4. With a player with as much goodwill in the org as Blake, he's got some time before panic moves I think.

I didn’t mean desperate that he might get fired. More so desperate to keep the team competitive to try to keep Doughty. I could see him trading pieces he normally wouldn’t but feels he needs to in order to keep Drew interested in re-signing here.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I think if he got healthy that would go a long way to him actually playing up to his ability. We have had this sorta situation before with Mitchell williams handzus etc I would be willing to bet the cali sunshine would have a positive effect on him

Have you watched him at all. My best buddy is from a Buffalo so I watch most of their games. The guy is slow and often puts himself in a bad defensive position or on the wrong side of the guy he is covering. Personally I don’t think he adds anything to our team and on a good team should be a bottom pair guy. The only thing that has been impressive about Bogo is where he was drafted and that was a big mistake.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Have you watched him at all. My best buddy is from a Buffalo so I watch most of their games. The guy is slow and often puts himself in a bad defensive position or on the wrong side of the guy he is covering. Personally I don’t think he adds anything to our team and on a good team should be a bottom pair guy. The only thing that has been impressive about Bogo is where he was drafted and that was a big mistake.
I have watched him a little probably not as much as you have granted. From what i have seen his health is the biggest concern If he was healthy his mobility would be a little better and i think his game would improve. Now there is no guarantee that he will get healthy here however i note that there have been several kings in the past that seem to turn there injury plugged careers around here. William Mitchell Handzus all come to mind. Yes this is a risk but risks can turn out good as the one i mention have.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I have watched him a little probably not as much as you have granted. From what i have seen his health is the biggest concern If he was healthy his mobility would be a little better and i think his game would improve. Now there is no guarantee that he will get healthy here however i note that there have been several kings in the past that seem to turn there injury plugged careers around here. William Mitchell Handzus all come to mind. Yes this is a risk but risks can turn out good as the one i mention have.

Well the big difference is all the other guys you named were good at hockey and I just don’t think BoGo is.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Don't see Blake or Luc making the DL mistakes of the past , sacrificing the future for a quick fix rental. It won't make them a contender, and it would weaken them as a team. They're not good enough to compete for the WC or SC, yet. But if they draft right, build right, the ywill be. Unless the top 4 D coming back is young , non rental wit ha good paper, and even then I don't see them giving up a first, esp in a draft year that is loaded with skilled d, esp Swedish D.

By what I've been reading/hearing, they have been trying to get a top 4 D, but the price is 'steep', a top line forward. I do think they will make a move, but not one that involves giving up draft picks. That is a step backwards.
There are players that other GM's have to move as well, so they might find a good partner for a fair trade.

I agree with your assessment of keeping picks, and continuing to draft well. I also don't think getting a rental will make us contenders, but it would help us make it to the playoffs.

I agree keeping our 1st rounders is the best strategy for both mid- to long-term success. I also do not think getting a rental will suddenly make us contenders, no matter who it is. Rather, I think Blake needs to make a desperate move to increase our chances of making it to the playoffs because the consequences of not making the playoffs are significant. I highly doubt Doughty will stick around if this team misses the playoffs two years in a row.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
We’re going to have trouble preserving futures while also fighting for the here and now of being competitive and holding Doughty’s attention.

Seems to me we are half assing two separate things. We should whole ass one thing.

Start selling, or inquire about Shea Weber.

Reactions: Kingspiracy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad