2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Quick hasn't played well for several games now, but I do admire his compete. No knock on other players on the team, but I can say for certain that Quick and Doughty are never content with losing. I doubt Quick is skipping the All Star game because of an injury. I think he is fully aware that he hasn't performed well, and probably wants time to recuperate and get in the zone. Getting lit up in the All Star game will not do him any favors.

As far as the team is concerned, I think its safe to say that the players are the problem. We can talk about Sutter and whether Stevens was the correct replacement, but the blame falls squarely on the players' shoulders based on their performance the last several years. My biggest beef is that when Blake and Luc took over, they held this big press conference stating that changes are coming and we still plan on competing for the cup, and yet they did absolutely nothing to transform the roster. They signed some college free agents who are a hit or miss, and Cammy, who didn't even last half the season.

Blake has a tough decision to make now. He either has to go all in before the trade deadline to make sure we make the playoffs and not risk losing Doughty, or see the writing on the wall that this team needs a major overhaul, including trading Doughty if Doughty says he will not resign with the Kings. I would not want to be in his shoes, but if I was, I would go all in so that we don't lose Doughty, unless Doughty indicates to Blake he is okay with the team sucking for two years until the retool is complete.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The Pens brought in reinforcements just like the Kings did with Pearson/Toffoli. The Pens were fortunate to not have to face any juggernauts just to get to the SCF the last two years, however.

Lombardi did it, man. Everyone can revision the history any way they want, but the insane decline of Richards and the complete loss of Voynov for nothing were not things that are easily replaced even if planned for. The issue is now having to deal with little-to-no solid reinforcements due in part to trades to keep the ride going and, more importantly, pretty shitty drafting.

It's great to blow the Penguins now and say they are the model and whatever, but they were basically the Sharks or the Ducks from 2010 through 2016 and were generally crapped on for not being able to win more Cups with Crosby/Malkin. They even traded picks/prospects during that time to try and go over the top...they just did a good job drafting and some shrewd trades that finally paid off. Good for them. If it was that easy, everyone would do it.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
When was the last time he was right about a trade regarding the Kings?
latest

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Quick hasn't played well for several games now, but I do admire his compete. No knock on other players on the team, but I can say for certain that Quick and Doughty are never content with losing. I doubt Quick is skipping the All Star game because of an injury. I think he is fully aware that he hasn't performed well, and probably wants time to recuperate and get in the zone. Getting lit up in the All Star game will not do him any favors.

As far as the team is concerned, I think its safe to say that the players are the problem. We can talk about Sutter and whether Stevens was the correct replacement, but the blame falls squarely on the players' shoulders based on their performance the last several years. My biggest beef is that when Blake and Luc took over, they held this big press conference stating that changes are coming and we still plan on competing for the cup, and yet they did absolutely nothing to transform the roster. They signed some college free agents who are a hit or miss, and Cammy, who didn't even last half the season.

Blake has a tough decision to make now. He either has to go all in before the trade deadline to make sure we make the playoffs and not risk losing Doughty, or see the writing on the wall that this team needs a major overhaul, including trading Doughty if Doughty says he will not resign with the Kings. I would not want to be in his shoes, but if I was, I would go all in so that we don't lose Doughty, unless Doughty indicates to Blake he is okay with the team sucking for two years until the retool is complete.

Blake checks his hand and sees his pair of 4's. Announces he is going all in and pushes his remaining 10 bucks into the center of the table.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015

Seems like Sutter would play the backup the night after the Kings got lit up to make the team focus on defense more rather than having Quick bail them out. Could be what Stevens is doing tonight. Not sure about the all-star game though. I guess Quick just really doesn't want to go.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

Seems like Sutter would play the backup the night after the Kings got lit up to make the team focus on defense more rather than having Quick bail them out. Could be what Stevens is doing tonight. Not sure about the all-star game though. I guess Quick just really doesn't want to go.

Good for Quick. I think sitting for two games will be good for him. The guy needs to refocus. Getting Kemper in for a few games will be good as well, and force the team to play defense like they did in front of Budaj. Also, Quick doesn't play well against Calgary, so there is that.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Mayor tweeted similar cryptic messages last year around the trade deadline. He just wants attention. Other than breaking the whole management change last season, he doesn't do a good job with leaking trade rumors.
It's sad that reputable journalists like LeBrun and Burnside retweet stuff Mayor says because then non-Kings fans think he actually has a clue. I can name at least 10 things he got wrong in the last 5-6 years. He's actually worse than Eklund. Eklund throws out rumors. Mayor thinks he's throwing out facts.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
As for the Stevens hand wringing going on, there wasn't a peep about it while the team was winning while playing a more open style than under Sutter. He wasn't and still isn't "another Sutter".

Some of us "debbie-downers" pointed out that this team, while scoring more, was winning because Quick was playing 2012 level hockey and that could not just be taken for granted. There is a correlation between how much confidence they play with offensively when they feel they can make a mistake and have it not wind up in the net.

Now he's playing like a mere mortal and they've resorted back to perimeter bull shit and have no confidence.

This team has talented players but, much like last season when the Captain was saying they needed more help, I really question the heart of this team sans Quick. They are fragile and lost so much of the gumption that got them to gut out 2014 in losing Mitchell/Richards/Williams/Regher/Greene/Scuderi/Stoll.

For those that were here before the Cups, the leadership and heart of this team was a serious discussion with many feeling that the core they had didn't have what it takes to win. Lombardi went out of his way to pull in glue/leadership guys and it helped push the existing guys to new heights. Now those guys are all gone and its back to what we had before.

This isn't me questioning the effort of Kopitar, Brown et al., it is more of a "Can these guys raise Forbort, Gravel, Shore etc...to another level"? I just really don't have a feel about the compete/desire level of the younger new guys, outside of Kempe. Will Mike Amadio run through a wall for Quick? Will Gravel block a shot with his face to secure a win in January? Will Nick Shore do anything outside of trying to win a Lady Byng? I mean, shit man, they can't even clear the front of the crease properly after teams hack away at a prone Jon Quick.

They have no swagger. They shrink when the going gets tough, hence their abominable division record the last two seasons. The Cup Kings had more talent, obviously, but they also played to the level of the competition and brought it most when the stage was bigger and the game was more intense. The team of the last couple of seasons doesn't even play down to the level of the competition: they just f***ing play the same game every time. That's why they can crush the East because there is no animosity or hype for the game.

The split between their record against the East and the West is a serious indictment of this team's collective desire. It's not a style thing, it is a desire thing. There is a reason why a guy like MacDermid surprisingly made the team and then, even more surprisingly, played almost every game he was up here. They rave about his desire to be better, study and be a team guy? Why? Because they don't have much of it and I think they know it.

Maroon isn't a super skilled guy by any means and has the making of a 3 goals in 30 games guy if the Kings trade for him. I really think it is the fact that he isn't a total bitch that gets the Kings interested in him.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Mayor tweeted similar cryptic messages last year around the trade deadline. He just wants attention. Other than breaking the whole management change last season, he doesn't do a good job with leaking trade rumors.

He blocked me cause I messaged him privately to stop spreading bullshit, and called him out on his Thornton to sign as a King 100% bs.

He's click baiting. He knows fans are desperate so he's taking the opportunity to get attention.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Pens brought in reinforcements just like the Kings did with Pearson/Toffoli. The Pens were fortunate to not have to face any juggernauts just to get to the SCF the last two years, however.

Lombardi did it, man. Everyone can revision the history any way they want, but the insane decline of Richards and the complete loss of Voynov for nothing were not things that are easily replaced even if planned for. The issue is now having to deal with little-to-no solid reinforcements due in part to trades to keep the ride going and, more importantly, pretty ****ty drafting.

It's great to blow the Penguins now and say they are the model and whatever, but they were basically the Sharks or the Ducks from 2010 through 2016 and were generally crapped on for not being able to win more Cups with Crosby/Malkin. They even traded picks/prospects during that time to try and go over the top...they just did a good job drafting and some shrewd trades that finally paid off. Good for them. If it was that easy, everyone would do it.

They also swapped GMs in there, which is why I'm saying it's not like there was one cohesive vision that they were going for that the league would emulate. It obviously doesn't matter HOW you do it, it matters that you DO it; the original context though was that DL was saying they aren't the model and I agree with him there. No team can just go out and get Malkin, Crosby, or even a McDavid.

If anything, the Kings' model worked so well, look at how the Pacific is built now.

Blake checks his hand and sees his pair of 4's. Announces he is going all in and pushes his remaining 10 bucks into the center of the table.

This made me laugh, bravo

Reactions: BigKing

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There are two particular losses that happened in 2015 that was enough evidence to me that they had "lost their swagger."

And this is where the Flames broke the Kings' will.

It's been all downhill since.

Seems like the team still hasn't recovered from some the events of the past few years. They keep falling back into the same old habits that led to failure.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Some of you make it sound like the sole reason the Pens won the Cup was because of Crosby (who they got via lottery) and Malkin (who went 2nd overall in 2004).

Couldn't you suggest the same of the Kings lucking out in 2005 by landing the 11th pick that happened to be Kopitar, and tanking to get the chance to draft Doughty in 2008?

The Penguins also got lots of help from other sources, and they absolutely went on a tear after a coaching chance in 2016. They also gutted out to win the Cup in 2017.

I don't get how you don't see the parallels between what the Kings and Pens went through en route to their Cup wins.

The Kings had sustained success? It was two Cups in three years. The Pens won back-to-back, something that hasn't been achieved since Detroit did it in 1996 and 1997.

It is lost on me how one can praise the Kings for "sustained success" then knock the Penguins and attribute their wins to just "two generational superstars."

The Kings aren't necessarily a model to build after either if you are going to fizzle out in four consecutive years following your last successful run. That's kind of like being the flavor of the month, isn't it?

Don't forget Staal was a top 3 pick and I believe Fleury was too. LA did it with one top 5 (maybe two depending where Schenn was drafted). I think LA did it with hitting on 2-6 round picks, getting lucky by getting Mitchell as a consolation to Hamhuis, trading for Carter, and also we should be thanking cry baby Smyth as he gave cap room for carter, also to the shyster Tambolini for screwing up Brule's doctor reports...imagine Brule instead of Fraser.

A lot has to go right to win the cup. Lots of different blue prints, I just like Brian Burke's quote as he got the 2nd pick that draft (Ryan).

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Quick needs some regroup time. He is consistently letting the first or second shot of the game into the net. Correct this so we are not always losing in the first period. It's not all on him, but several have been soft goals, and the team is reeling due to being behind nearly every game.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
He blocked me cause I messaged him privately to stop spreading bull****, and called him out on his Thornton to sign as a King 100% bs.

He's click baiting. He knows fans are desperate so he's taking the opportunity to get attention.

Well to be fair, he was right that there was a legit rumor that Thornton would sign with LA. Blake talked to Thornton, and there was something to it. But he went over the edge by saying it was 100% certain or something like that.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Well to be fair, he was right that there was a legit rumor that Thornton would sign with LA. Blake talked to Thornton, and there was something to it. But he went over the edge by saying it was 100% certain or something like that.

That's where you lose credibility by saying 100%. He wasn't the only one reporting that Thornton was talking.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There are two particular losses that happened in 2015 that was enough evidence to me that they had "lost their swagger."

It's been all downhill since.

Happened before those particular losses. Everything started going downhill after the end of this video. They sold their soul for that run. Must have. The 0-3 comeback, beat the biggest rival, one of the great 7 game series, and 7th game's period, against the Hawks, three road Game 7 wins, and the two big cities in the Final, and then they score the Cup winning goal on home ice in OT as the crowd is chanting we want the Cup? One of those things is a lot, let alone all of it happening in one playoff tournament. And they won it on Friday the 13th.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Still wouldn't trade it and would of gladly accepted the shit that has followed if I was told this was the price of winning.

Still get pissy about this team though. It's not even the results, its how they get there. Just wanted them to be exciting this year, even if losing. The one thing I have zero f***ing time for is rolling over and just getting wheeled on and seemingly not giving a shit about it.

"Well, a division rival is embarrassing us and we're leaving our heart and soul goalie out to to dry...let's treat the rest of this game like its April 3rd and we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs already".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad