2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
What pisses me off is that, putting the wins/losses to the side, this team is not playing at all the same style they were playing at the beginning of the year. Sometime during the last winning streak they went back to Sutter style of hockey. Sure it worked for a while on the last winning streak, but it is stale again. Win or lose, I hope they go back to that exciting type of hockey they started playing at the beginning of the year.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I'm gonna be cynical and say that the way he has played lately, Quick's suspension is a good thing.

Hopefully the old Quick will come back after that.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
I'm gonna be cynical and say that the way he has played lately, Quick's suspension is a good thing.

Hopefully the old Quick will come back after that.

Quick shouldn’t have to stand on his head every time for the Kings to win. He’s also dealing with a nagging injury. Cut the crap and just realize that this team has a lot more problems than just Quick. He’s the last player I ever worry about.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Ugh confirmed by Blake that Quick is dealing with a nagging injury. Not good. Shouldn't have played him this much.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
Safe to say Doughty is 100% gone if we are out of playoffs this year. Can't even retain a franchise defenseman. Embarrassing to say the least.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Ugh confirmed by Blake that Quick is dealing with a nagging injury. Not good. Shouldn't have played him this much.

Sounds like manure though, if he had a nagging injury I don't think they would have ridden him so hard..

Sounds like they're saying he's injured so he doesn't get suspended for not going to the ASG. I remember the Pens and the Hawks have done this.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Sounds like manure though, if he had a nagging injury I don't think they would have ridden him so hard..

Sounds like they're saying he's injured so he doesn't get suspended for not going to the ASG. I remember the Pens and the Hawks have done this.

He's still getting suspended.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Except for this

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Sounds like Blake is just posturing trying to get out of the 1 game suspension. I was hoping Quick would come out and say something like, "I wanted to dress for my country at the Olympics not my division. The NHL won't support the players desire to rep country why should I support the All Star Game."

I have no insight into if that is he belief, but would love for a player to say it.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Except for this

I thought that injury voids the one game suspension? Uh... That's weird if he actually has a nagging injury and they've been knowingly running him into the ground.

Well since Kuemper is the started tonight anyways, probably this is going to serve as his suspension so he can miss the all star break as it is.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I thought that injury voids the one game suspension? Uh... That's weird if he actually has a nagging injury and they've been knowingly running him into the ground.

I think it's too late and daily can smell the BS. One game isn't the end of the world to ensure he doesn't get injured in the all star game.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
It does if the player doesn't play. But it's been reported he's the backup. So he's on the game roster.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Safe to say Doughty is 100% gone if we are out of playoffs this year. Can't even retain a franchise defenseman. Embarrassing to say the least.

Disagree, have a hard time seeing him walking away from nearly $90M, but that isn't to say I wouldn't move him (along with some combination of Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin and Martinez) this summer if they aren't going to try to compete.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It does if the player doesn't play. But it's been reported he's the backup. So he's on the game roster.

That'd be really stupid if he's on the roster with a nagging injury, they should let this game serve as his suspension instead of having him warm the bench.

Whatever the reason, none of this makes sense. If he's actually the back up tonight then I am pretty confused.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
That'd be really stupid if he's on the roster with a nagging injury, they should let this game serve as his suspension instead of having him warm the bench.

Whatever the reason, none of this makes sense. If he's actually the back up tonight then I am pretty confused.
I'm thinking the issue is trying to get a backup there for tonight.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm thinking the issue is trying to get a backup there for tonight.

If they planned to this and this is just a lousy plan to have him relax and sit out the game as his "suspension" since he played last night, I think they'd have that taken care of.

If this is actually real, then I have no idea what Stevens was thinking riding a guy with a nagging injury.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
If they planned to this and this is just a lousy plan to have him relax and sit out the game as his "suspension" since he played last night, I think they'd have that taken care of.

If this is actually real, then I have no idea what Stevens was thinking riding a guy with a nagging injury.
He's likely had it but has said he can play through it. And he's finally coming to the conclusion he can't and needs a few days rest.
Just remember how he acted when he was pulled. He didn't want to come out.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
He's likely had it but has said he can play through it. And he's finally coming to the conclusion he can't and needs a few days rest.

If that's actually the case then Stevens would be a huge idiot.

You don't let your star goalie play with a nagging injury and risk making it worse.

Hopefully he's just sick.

kingscups

Jun 5, 2008
California
What pisses me off is that, putting the wins/losses to the side, this team is not playing at all the same style they were playing at the beginning of the year. Sometime during the last winning streak they went back to Sutter style of hockey. Sure it worked for a while on the last winning streak, but it is stale again. Win or lose, I hope they go back to that exciting type of hockey they started playing at the beginning of the year.

Yup, back to perimeter play, and dump and chase. I'd like to know what it is that affected the change in play? I know the start of the season there weren't any expectations on the team to truly challenge for anything, so the pressure was off, maybe they were loose, and having fun? As soon as they started winning maybe the pressure to keep it going started to build? Who knows, and whether that be true or not Stevens needs to tell the players to stick to the game plan. I sure hope Stevens didn't change the playing style, I can't imagine why you'd do that.

Another thing that bothers me is that it appears that the line blender has been taken out of the cupboard, No? Maybe I'm old school and would like to see players settle in with linemates a bit, but it seemed that to start the year lines were pretty set with minor tweaks in the bottom six, or a change here or there to spark offense during a game. Now I don't even try to figure who or what anyone's line or role is.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

I know Quick is stubborn, but Stevens should have said no in the beginning to not risk it becoming a bigger problem

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He probably does have a nagging injury that is easily playable through: most NHL players have a little something going on.

He'd prefer the weekend off and to not have to go through all the All-Star BS. He can play but is choosing not to do so.

I'm not always fully on the player's side in labor issues, but it is kind of garbage to me that they will suspend a player for not going. So my reward for being chosen an All-Star is that I have to do extra work above and beyond the majority of other players and, if I refuse to do it, you are going to take away an actual game check from me? Thanks for the honor!

That's pretty ridiculous.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Quick shouldn’t have to stand on his head every time for the Kings to win. He’s also dealing with a nagging injury. Cut the crap and just realize that this team has a lot more problems than just Quick. He’s the last player I ever worry about.
Wait, what nagging injury?

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Yup, back to perimeter play, and dump and chase. I'd like to know what it is that affected the change in play? I know the start of the season there weren't any expectations on the team to truly challenge for anything, so the pressure was off, maybe they were loose, and having fun? As soon as they started winning maybe the pressure to keep it going started to build? Who knows, and whether that be true or not Stevens needs to tell the players to stick to the game plan. I sure hope Stevens didn't change the playing style, I can't imagine why you'd do that.

Another thing that bothers me is that it appears that the line blender has been taken out of the cupboard, No? Maybe I'm old school and would like to see players settle in with linemates a bit, but it seemed that to start the year lines were pretty set with minor tweaks in the bottom six, or a change here or there to spark offense during a game. Now I don't even try to figure who or what anyone's line or role is.

I think what changed is Stevens. I doubt the players want to play perimeter hockey. I think after the Kings stock piled points in the first few months of the season, Stevens decided its a good time to switch to a "playoff type" hockey style (i.e., puck possession, perimeter hockey), and began emphasizing it to the players. Remember, Stevens is a very defense-first type coach. I think he had a tough time stomaching the risky plays the Kings were making during the first few months of the season. I will admit that I was on board with the Stevens hiring, and place blame more on the players during this bad stretch, but it probably would have been better to hire a coach from the outside. Blake should have also done a better job of really overhauling the roster, instead of keeping the same old players and hoping for a different result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad