2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Paajarvi would be redundant. I like him well enough but it's a very 'meh'. You know a worse team will bank on his draft pedigree and claim him anyway.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Greene was a perfect PK, bottom pairing defenseman for the years he was healthy. The Martinez-Greene pairing didn't allow a single ES goal against during the ENTIRE 11/12 playoff run. That's not "nostalgia."

The 12-14 core could have easily contended for another Cup in 14/15 without the combined collapse and off ice controversies of Richards and Voynov. Where Dean failed was in his reaction to those controversies. He had a get out of jail free card on a declining Richards and didn't use it. Instead of immediately shopping for a Voynov replacement, Dean doubled down, took a f***ing fine by having the team skate with him, and penciled him into the lineup that very season. Then came all the horrid asset management, Lucic/Sekera/etc, which has been extensively covered here.

Dean DID keep a contending team together. For three years. And he won two championships.

What Dean didn't do was react well to adversity, particularly off ice adversity. In fact, he only made it worse.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
People are saying they miss the good years from certain players: this isn't a "wish we had the 2017 version of Matt Greene out there".

It's just wistful nostalgia for a time when the team was good v. the garbage we've been watching lately. To that degree, I also miss 1989 Gretzky, 1998 Blake and 2001 Stu Grimson.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I was pretty upset when we drafted Schenn over Paajarvi; ended up working pretty well for us in the end though.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
People are saying they miss the good years from certain players: this isn't a "wish we had the 2017 version of Matt Greene out there".

It's just wistful nostalgia for a time when the team was good v. the garbage we've been watching lately. To that degree, I also miss 1989 Gretzky, 1998 Blake and 2001 Stu Grimson.
Grimson 01 was one of the best seasons by a Kings enforcer ever.

Reactions: BigKing

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

The sucky thing is a lot of those guys were exiting their prime when we won. We miss Mitchell, but likely not 2018 Mitchell, I agree. The bigger problem is I can't even think of similar guys around the league today. Who has that old honesty-but-toughness code like Regehr, Mitchell? I really can't think of anyone but if they exist I'd trade for them in a heartbeat. They were perfect for a young-but-growing, talented roster who needed accountability. They kept overflowing emotional guys (Doughty) reined in to controlled emotion and also kept opponents honest because they knew they were in for a rough--but clean--night.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
The sucky thing is a lot of those guys were exiting their prime when we won. We miss Mitchell, but likely not 2018 Mitchell, I agree. The bigger problem is I can't even think of similar guys around the league today. Who has that old honesty-but-toughness code like Regehr, Mitchell? I really can't think of anyone but if they exist I'd trade for them in a heartbeat. They were perfect for a young-but-growing, talented roster who needed accountability. They kept overflowing emotional guys (Doughty) reined in to controlled emotion and also kept opponents honest because they knew they were in for a rough--but clean--night.
Is Erik Gudbranson any good? I know he was like a top 3 pick but he's a #4/5 right? Maybe that's someone we could go after?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Is Erik Gudbranson any good? I know he was like a top 3 pick but he's a #4/5 right? Maybe that's someone we could go after?

I wouldn't mind him but he's comparable to Folin imo as far as ability. He's meaner for sure. Doubt I'd want to give up assets for him though, unless we're swapping an LHD for an RHD or something.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I'd take Gudbranson but you'd have to trade Folin or LaDue. And the downside is hes rumored to want 5m per year on his next contract.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
There is obviously some bias from me here and the Cup is still probably the hardest trophy to win in sport, but it isn't as hard anymore with how the playoffs are officiated tighter and the sport just isn't as gnarly. Kings got theirs while there were still guys from the end of the tougher era still playing at a high level.

I'll take one whenever they can win one, but I'm glad it happened before the league got too soft.

Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
When? I like nostalgia as much as the next guy, but a steady 5/6 he was not around the last two years as a King.

I see a lot of rose colored glasses here when talking about the past. **** hit the fan way too much even with those players. I see a lot of depression here lol. Those players were not nearly as good as nostalgia is making it sound.
Matt Greene was a good player for this team, great leader and knew his role.No need to downplay his contributions to this teams success in 8 years and 464 games with the Kings.The Kings could use a healthy Matt Greene player that stuck up for players and clear the crease.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Paajarvi would be redundant. I like him well enough but it's a very 'meh'. You know a worse team will bank on his draft pedigree and claim him anyway.

Everyone's so worried about giving up assets for a fwd or top 4 defensemen,but here is one on waivers and a UFA and some are not happy.If he slips to the Kings I hope Kings put in a claim.Low risk to pick this player up.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Matt Greene was a good player for this team, great leader and knew his role.No need to downplay his contributions to this teams success in 8 years and 464 games with the Kings.The Kings could use a healthy Matt Greene player that stuck up for players and clear the crease.

Yeah you misunderstood stood me, Matt Greene of old was not good even when healthy. 2012 Greene was awesome.

Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Kings' recent losing spell won't influence GM Rob Blake to make moves — just yet

Carter is about a month away. Blake is not actively working the phones.

So Jon Rosen was lying on his 1st intermission I believe it was the Flames game?Plus I believe LA Times made a error,the Kings have over 9million in cap current space including Carter not 3.7 million.But I could be wrong and they're just using Carters cap hit.But doesn't IR count against the cap?And LTIR not counted against the cap?

Last edited:

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
jesus christ..

i don't even know what to say to that one

Reid had it coming. Game was out of hand and he glove punched Grimson in the back of the head prior to this. I think they received matching minors and fought coming out of the box.

Grimson was a terror that season. Great teammate. There was one fight where Chris Dingman smashed Emerson and got a minor for it. Andy Murray threw Grimson out with a few second to go on Dingman's penalty. Dingman comes out of the box and thinks he is just going to skate back to the bench for a change when he notices a stick sliding across the ice...oops: Grimson is challenging him. Dingman wants nothing of it but finally obliges and pretty much goes for the take down to save his life.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Reid had it coming. Game was out of hand and he glove punched Grimson in the back of the head prior to this. I think they received matching minors and fought coming out of the box.

Grimson was a terror that season. Great teammate. There was one fight where Chris Dingman smashed Emerson and got a minor for it. Andy Murray threw Grimson out with a few second to go on Dingman's penalty. Dingman comes out of the box and thinks he is just going to skate back to the bench for a change when he notices a stick sliding across the ice...oops: Grimson is challenging him. Dingman wants nothing of it but finally obliges and pretty much goes for the take down to save his life.
damn, grimson was uh, much more classy about this than i would have expected then

if i get a gloved punch to the back of the head i don't think i'm walking away after one shot. clearly he knew it was a good one

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
damn, grimson was uh, much more classy about this than i would have expected then

if i get a gloved punch to the back of the head i don't think i'm walking away after one shot. clearly he knew it was a good one

I checked the box score and, yes, they received matching minors for roughing and then fought maybe 15 seconds after getting out of the box. Reid started it, Grimson waived him over and finished it.

Awesome fight. Loved how Robitaille and Buchberger stood up and were shouting at them before the fight. Aki Berg looked legit terrified of Stu as he went to the locker room, like he'd never seen someone punched that hard. Probably hadn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad