2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
So, in this scenario the Kings would offer 8 years at a cap hit of $12M. Doughty doesn't sign it.

The Kings then call his bluff by not trading him and letting him become a UFA. Blake and the Kings continue to offer 8 years at $12M and essentially tell Doughty they don't think another team will offer him a 7-year deal at $13.7M. If Blake and the Kings are wrong, Doughty walks and the Kings get nothing.
No where in that post did I say what the team should or shouldn't do. Just that they can make it very hard for him to say no and not stay.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Voynov will never play hockey on North American soil again. People need to give up this pipe dream. He's making a lot of money as one of the best defensemen in the KHL.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
No where in that post did I say what the team should or shouldn't do. Just that they can make it very hard for him to say no and not stay.

Moreover, what team in the NHL can actually sign him for $13.7 million a season? That's an extremely short list, if it exists at all.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The kings can make it very hard for him to say no. The latest rumor I remember hearing about was the kings are prepared to offer 12mx8. That's 96 million over the contract. Since other teams can only offer 7 years they would have to offer 13.71m. And with guaranteed contracts. They can could ask him if he thinks anyone would offer him that. At 12m he'd be the second highest paid player in the league, maybe 3rd after EK signs. But the 13.71m would put him number 1 and by 1.21m
whats the math on a 11 million cap hit offer I could see drew wanting more then Kopitar but 12 is to much imo.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Voynov will never play hockey on North American soil again. People need to give up this pipe dream. He's making a lot of money as one of the best defensemen in the KHL.

I agree he will probably never play in North America again because look at whats going on with all the hollywood sexual abuse stuff. Not to get into it to deep but being politically correct the nhl is not got to let a wife beater into the nhl Yes there has been worse things done by players and they still played after but them were different times people got away with stuff A lot harder then before to do .

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
Voynov's timing just couldn't be worse than it is now.

I can't imagine the Kings want to deal with that PR issue.

I personally would find it hard to root for him.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
I doubt there would be a team out there to sign him for that. Especially a winning team that drew wants to play for This will narrow the list of potential teams. Offer him the 11 and get it over with
I could see that being our starting point for sure. And his starting point at 13m. Remember Newport represents both him and EK. Which really sucks for us. There's no doubt that info will be exchanged and there's nothing we can do. If they were at competing agencies that might not happen as easily.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Voynov's timing just couldn't be worse than it is now.

I can't imagine the Kings want to deal with that PR issue.

I personally would find it hard to root for him.
Then there's the issue that was brought out that next year starts the last year of what his contract was for. So if he tried to get in was approved. Then was suspended for a year. He'd not even be under contract.
Adding another twist as to why would the team want to deal with it?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I could see that being our starting point for sure. And his starting point at 13m. Remember Newport represents both him and EK. Which really sucks for us. There's no doubt that info will be exchanged and there's nothing we can do. If they were at competing agencies that might not happen as easily.
Well im not a agent but my starting point with drew would be 10.1 Your making the most money on the kings and give him a limited no trade clause. It just basic negotiating start low meet in middle . However i would not go any higher then 11 because if its just money who would pay him Mcdavid money that are contenders. Call there bluff

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Well im not a agent but my starting point with drew would be 10.1 Your making the most money on the kings and give him a limited no trade clause. It just basic negotiating start low meet in middle . However i would not go any higher then 11 because if its just money who would pay him Mcdavid money that are contenders. Call there bluff
Only issue with that is Kopitar signed the deal 2 years ago when the cap was 4m lower.
And that.1m more could be considered an insult and start things on a very wrong foot. Something Blake knows about very well.
And like I mentioned they will know every offer that's given to EK in real time.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
A little bit worried about an 8 year deal for a guy who's going to be basically 30 when the contract starts but you just have to hope that Drew ages like Bourque, Lidstrom and Macinnis did.

But K17 is right, if Drew doesn't sign with the Kings when he is offered a contract that will make him the highest paid d-man and possibly player in the league on July 1st then the writing is on the wall and the Kings have to move on and get something. Especially if we either miss the playoffs or fizzle out early.

Letting Doughty leave for nothing would be total negligence on the part of Blake and Robitaille and would be on par with the Lucic and Sekera trades.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Quick question, if we trade for someone who’s a ufa at seasons end, do we get their whole cap hit? Or only about 50% of it since we’re half way through the season?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I dislike Blake, but it seems they have the perfect guy in place to handle this based on his previous experience.

Can't imagine Blake would hesitate to deal him if it becomes apparent he is going to test the market. If I'm Doughty and I am actually all about winning as I claim to be, I can see that my giant contract isn't going to help the Kings win with all the other contracts on the books already.

CA state tax can't be helping, either.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I dislike Blake, but it seems they have the perfect guy in place to handle this based on his previous experience.

Can't imagine Blake would hesitate to deal him if it becomes apparent he is going to test the market. If I'm Doughty and I am actually all about winning as I claim to be, I can see that my giant contract isn't going to help the Kings win with all the other contracts on the books already.

CA state tax can't be helping, either.

Yeah, CA state income taxes are borderline criminal and hit Kings players really hard when compared to what they would pay in alot of other places. Although if Drew wants to play in Ontario the tax situation there is even worse for the ultra wealthy.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Quick question, if we trade for someone who’s a ufa at seasons end, do we get their whole cap hit? Or only about 50% of it since we’re half way through the season?

we get what's remaining. It's why capfriendly has the below listed for us. and it's why players were sent down to ontario recently. They will be recalled later.

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $12,238,748
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $21,723,777
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg
: $68,597,727

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I doubt there would be a team out there to sign him for that. Especially a winning team that drew wants to play for This will narrow the list of potential teams. Offer him the 11 and get it over with

Well, which one is it? Does he want to just get paid, or is he willing to take a little less to play for a contending team?

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
we get what's remaining. It's why capfriendly has the below listed for us. and it's why players were sent down to ontario recently. They will be recalled later.

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $12,238,748
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $21,723,777
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg
: $68,597,727

Yep, that’s what I was figuring, thanks for clarifying. Definitely makes for plenty of room to add if Blake decides to do so...

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
A little bit worried about an 8 year deal for a guy who's going to be basically 30 when the contract starts but you just have to hope that Drew ages like Bourque, Lidstrom and Macinnis did.

But K17 is right, if Drew doesn't sign with the Kings when he is offered a contract that will make him the highest paid d-man and possibly player in the league on July 1st then the writing is on the wall and the Kings have to move on and get something. Especially if we either miss the playoffs or fizzle out early.

Letting Doughty leave for nothing would be total negligence on the part of Blake and Robitaille and would be on par with the Lucic and Sekera trades.

It would be far worse than Lucic and Sekera. It would be worse than anything Dean did really, including not-CBOing Richards.

Doughty has tremendous value in a trade. Letting that value slip through your fingers would all but torpedo the franchise for a good 10 years.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think Blake and Doughty have talked about their future. I'm sure Blake isn't stupid enough to lose him for nothing, he'd trade Doughty to a team he'd be okay with going to. I think with players like Doughty they talked differently to and were honest and open with about their future.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
he wants both and will get it im sure
He won't be getting one of those things if he stays with the Kings.

This team isn't going to be in a contending position for at least several years. Only way it happens is if Vilardi is an amazing player while he is on his ELC. Meanwhile, Quick, Kopitar, Carter, and Doughty himself get older. Can they all be counted on to perform?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad