2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
A little bit worried about an 8 year deal for a guy who's going to be basically 30 when the contract starts but you just have to hope that Drew ages like Bourque, Lidstrom and Macinnis did.

But K17 is right, if Drew doesn't sign with the Kings when he is offered a contract that will make him the highest paid d-man and possibly player in the league on July 1st then the writing is on the wall and the Kings have to move on and get something. Especially if we either miss the playoffs or fizzle out early.

Letting Doughty leave for nothing would be total negligence on the part of Blake and Robitaille and would be on par with the Lucic and Sekera trades.

I think one of the major things DD has going for him there--big picture relative, of course--is his consistency and health. EK has had monster injuries. Subban, uneven performance. Hedman is coming into his own but even he consistently loses time. Drew is starting to compare well to the guys you named for being able to eat big minutes at a high level with health. I feel less bad paying him full price damn well knowing what I'm getting for him vs., say, EK who is a wild card.

I'd do 8x12 for Drew in a second in this current climate, which tells me he's gonna hold out for more.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
He won't be getting one of those things if he stays with the Kings.

This team isn't going to be in a contending position for at least several years. Only way it happens is if Vilardi is an amazing player while he is on his ELC. Meanwhile, Quick, Kopitar, Carter, and Doughty himself get older. Can they all be counted on to perform?

unlike u i think Vilardi is going to be good also pearson toffoli and kempe will get better Iafallo brodzinski all take the next step. Then in a year or two clague dolan will appear. Your doom and gloom outlook is fine for you but there are those's of us out there that see the glass half full.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
unlike u i think Vilardi is going to be good also pearson toffoli and kempe will get better Iafallo brodzinski all take the next step. Then in a year or two clague dolan will appear. Your doom and gloom outlook is fine for you but there are those's of us out there that see the glass half full.
Pearson will probably be part of a package used to fix the top 4 defensemen issue.K17 and I see the holes,but we simply see a different path.Its not as bad as some would say and yes it can be fixed.Will Blake fix it or just blow it up,there's no other choices to fix the issue.

Reactions: yankeeking

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Pearson will probably be part of a package used to fix the top 4 defensemen issue.K17 and I see the holes,but we simply see a different path.Its not as bad as some would say and yes it can be fixed.Will Blake fix it or just blow it up,there's no other choices to fix the issue.
First off only way Pearson goes is if there is also a lw going back to la of equal value someone like tatar So a wash I see a hole as well the top 4 defense man need so your not the only two that see so please stop trying to make yourself seem like the only one. If you go back as far as the first couple of gdt you would see i called for one back that far to take lower drews time. Now i believe we are not that bad off I think Clague will eventually fill it. I could see us trading with the red wings for Green or rangers for Ryan McDonagh as i believe both are available I also see edler is a good option if we can get him to waive his ntc Now what we give up conditional picks and prospects not name valardi or clague.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
So, in this scenario the Kings would offer 8 years at a cap hit of $12M. Doughty doesn't sign it.

The Kings then call his bluff by not trading him and letting him become a UFA. Blake and the Kings continue to offer 8 years at $12M and essentially tell Doughty they don't think another team will offer him a 7-year deal at $13.7M. If Blake and the Kings are wrong, Doughty walks and the Kings get nothing.
Ah, my god forbid point earlier

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I think one of the major things DD has going for him there--big picture relative, of course--is his consistency and health. EK has had monster injuries. Subban, uneven performance. Hedman is coming into his own but even he consistently loses time. Drew is starting to compare well to the guys you named for being able to eat big minutes at a high level with health. I feel less bad paying him full price damn well knowing what I'm getting for him vs., say, EK who is a wild card.

I'd do 8x12 for Drew in a second in this current climate, which tells me he's gonna hold out for more.
So I hear a lot of 8 x 12. If he does not take it, we need to move on. Another minor detail is the actual yearly salary. However, how much u can front load each year is spelled out in the union bargain agreement. I would imagine every team making him any offer at all will max out these limits per year, thus making this a mute point. Any team that doesn’t do this for him I think he scoffs at.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
2nd 2018 and Clifford for Maroon

Pearson, Ladue, Campbell, and a 1st in 2019 for Faulk and Ryan(ufa after season, 26 points this season, 56% faceoff %)

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Maroon-Carter-Toffoli
Kempe-Ryan-Lewis/Gaborik
Shore-Mitchell-Brodzinski

Muzzin-Doughty
Martinez-Faulk
Forbort-Folin

Can’t stop, won’t stop, don’t know how to stop!

Reactions: efhank

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Another reason why players will sign with their current team with still a year left on their contracts is INJURY. This is huge. Doughty signs with Kings 8 x 12 on July 1, 2018, and then plays all of next year without worry. To suffer any sort of career ending injury next year without an extension already signed is flirting with things a bit. You can go from 96 guarantee to zero fast!!! Of course they would probably do a buyout if something so severe happened. But the cap hit would still be a monster. Which is why teams rarely sign anyone other than their stars in the extension year. So why did the Kings sign Forbort early? Ok, time for Ziggy and Sol to blow this up!! Ha! I do respect your opinions though. I stick up for D being a former D myself. I am not as high on LaDue as you guys. I am high on Gravel though. It blew my mind when Kurtis made the team out of camp. But now we know what Gravel was going through. I think if Gravel gets more minutes his confidence will grow. Anyone that watched the Reign a couple years ago knew that was Kevin’s team. He has that character level.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bob77

Nov 19, 2014

Pearson, Ladue, Campbell, and a 1st in 2019 for Faulk and Ryan(ufa after season, 26 points this season, 56% faceoff %)

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Maroon-Carter-Toffoli
Kempe-Ryan-Lewis/Gaborik

Muzzin-Doughty
Martinez-Faulk
Forbort-Folin

You need to realize that Faulk would have to replace DD on right D on the PP unit. Ok, Stevens might never do it, but to any other coach it would be a no brained. The Faulk kid can absolutely shoot the puck, under control, with accuracy, wont be blocked often, and hard. My Mn source says Faulk and Forbort r friends. Ann Arbor. Faulk played NCAA at Duluth, where Forbort is from also.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Letting DD leave without getting nothing in return wouldn't be "on par" with the Lucic and Sekera trades, it would be literally at least MULTIPLE TIMES WORSE than those things combined. A DD at deadline could fetch MULTIPLE 1sts at least, and letting our best asset walk for nothing would set back any contending, re tooling, or rebuilding opportunity for at least half a decade, at best.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Definitely agree there although I'd be shocked if the Kings got a solid answer out of Doughty this summer.
You've no choice but to trade Doughty if he isn't willing to extend this offseason.You've to get full max value with a year left on his contract.Its a business and Doughtys don't grow on trees.If Blake pulls a Dean Lombardi and loses assets because he allows another UFA to walk then Blake deserves to be fired on Doughty.

Last edited:

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Quick question, if we trade for someone who’s a ufa at seasons end, do we get their whole cap hit? Or only about 50% of it since we’re half way through the season?
Cap hits are calculated on a daily basis, not per game as some believe. So, each day of the NHL year, you are either “working “ for the big club or the AHL squad. This includes off days (no games). So, the day you file the transaction with the league is the employment date. So, I’m this same vein, it’s trade day.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
First off only way Pearson goes is if there is also a lw going back to la of equal value someone like tatar So a wash I see a hole as well the top 4 defense man need so your not the only two that see so please stop trying to make yourself seem like the only one. If you go back as far as the first couple of gdt you would see i called for one back that far to take lower drews time. Now i believe we are not that bad off I think Clague will eventually fill it. I could see us trading with the red wings for Green or rangers for Ryan McDonagh as i believe both are available I also see edler is a good option if we can get him to waive his ntc Now what we give up conditional picks and prospects not name valardi or clague.

Sorry to have upset you but K17 and I were saying this for several years while being beat up for not parroting the majority cult talk.Pearson would most likely be part of a package used to bring in a top 4 defensemen talent not a LW.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Sorry to have upset you but K17 and I were saying this for several years while being beat up for not parroting the majority cult talk.
again go back to last year and read i also have been after a better top 4 :D You seem to relish in your rebel bs but there are other that have said the same or simlar things at different points over the years i have been here, However after we say them once or maybe twice we move on to other issues. unlike you k17 sol ziggy etc

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Normally at this time I have 4 games going on my NHL ice. The evening news is boring. I hear the word Russian and I jerk around to see if they are talking about VV. But MT is hot

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I remember since 82 lol talk about a "majority"of garbage teams lol

Yea I have been going since the mid 70’s. I know I know I am old. Lol. But after watching years of bad teams it pisses me off to have someone call this team “garbage” This team has its issues but garbage was the early staples center days and many years pre Gretzky. Honorable mention goes to the teams the end of the forum days. Well at least we got to see Cup wins that many of us never could dream of happening.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
again go back to last year and read i also have been after a better top 4 :D You seem to relish in your rebel bs but there are other that have said the same or simlar things at different points over the years i have been here, However after we say them once or maybe twice we move on to other issues. unlike you k17 sol ziggy etc

Sorry if other posters like to rehash the same subjects day after day and quote our posts.I thought this was a discussion board to share our thoughts,info and to have a counter point in a civil matter.The subject gets brought up every off season,after a long losing streak or during the trade deadline.Latley tho it's been rehashed and debated on a nightly basis due to the teams poor showing of the last couple months.I guess it's better to have you on board late than never.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Yea I have been going since the mid 70’s. I know I know I am old. Lol. But after watching years of bad teams it pisses me off to have someone call this team “garbage” This team has its issues but garbage was the early staples center days and many years pre Gretzky. Honorable mention goes to the teams the end of the forum days. Well at least we got to see Cup wins that many of us never could dream of happening.
Deadmarsh in 2001 did get my hopes up,hint why I use this profile name Deaderhead28 lol

Reactions: go4hockey

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Maroon-Carter-Toffoli
Kempe-Ryan-Lewis/Gaborik

Muzzin-Doughty
Martinez-Faulk
Forbort-Folin

Got to stop at some point or we will make the Edmonton rebuild seem like a short one.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Can't sit back and not fix the team.Team will have to figure in Doughty as they make trades.Its a business and players are professionals and know this.

There are plenty of options out there, it doesn't just have to be Maroon or bust. Tinkering with the top 6 hasn't worked, it needs to be a highly skilled player or you might as well sit back and let the players play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad