2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Don’t think either of those trades would work. Maroon scored 27 goals last year and is on pace for close to that this year. Yes I realize he’s a rental but there will be demand for a guy with decent hands who is capable of being a gritty sandpaper guy on a top line. Clifford is horrible and overpaid for the next two seasons after this one. A 2nd round pick doesn’t come close to making up the massive difference in value.

And Faulk is a very good RH shot defenseman with a very manageable cap hit for what he normally brings. He is having a down year but GM’s know his value. He could demand more than Pearson, a mid to late 1st and a couple of minor league throw-ins.
Anyone that can help this team is going to be in demand and cost assets.You want this team to go out and get someone who isnt in demand and also cheap that can't help? Sorry Herby but I'm so Confused!!Those two assets could help this team and Blake should try to get only if they're willing to extend.Then work the roster over the offseason.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Missing our leading scorer of last year though. Carts brings so much to the table at both ends of the ice. He adds another lethal forward option and helps balance our lines. As much as we moan about our D, they are at/near the top on a lot of stats. With another 20 goal forward inserted into the lineup we win more games. Adding Carter lightens the load on Kopi, allows Kempe to feed off the lesser opposition lines.

Kuemper has proven to be good, Quicks workload could be lightened until the business end of the season if he is wearing down.

The team isn't perfect, but neither is the option of tearing it all down, waiting a few years to hopefully get decent picks, hopefully make the right picks and develop a core that can grow together. Look at the Oilers and Sabres etc. Suck ass for eternity, circle jerk over your top prospects and still lose. Still have to pay Mcjesus 12mill before he's won anything, so the cap savings arent there.

So much depends on how Carter comes back, a few months resting up may help at the end of the season and even prolong his career.
I agree but more pieces are needed not just Carter.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Id trade Pearson for Faulk in a heartbeat.

Who wouldn't? Carolina for one. If they were moving Faulk, they would work deals for guys like ROR, RNH, or Nylander. Certainly not Pearson. It would take Pearson+Vilardi to start plus probably a high draft pick to get any serious attention.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Brodzinski may not make it based on what I have seen thus far. He is a 24 year old prospect. That age and the term prospect do not normally go hand-in-hand. And please knock it off with the doom and gloom garbage. I have my opinion, and you have your opinion. How is your opinion working out for you this season?

Kempe is going to be a useful NHLer, but is he a top sixer? The jury is still out. How long have we been waiting for both Pearson and Toffoli to play well consistently with a center not named Carter? Again, they are good NHLers, but the Kings can't seem to get both of them clicking at the top six level they need them to be at in the same season.

Iafallo? While I admire his hustle and desire, he is actually a good energy player with not much upside. Another 24 year old prospect.

Vilardi hasn't played a game yet, but he better be good or the Kings have some real issues in the top six going forward.

Like most here, you overestimate our "youth" (24 years old isn't young in the NHL). The players you mention are the Kings best young players. They are certainly not among the best in the NHL. So yes, the glass is not even half full.

You know as well as i do King prospect spend longer in the ahl then most prospects. It is a team motto to teach the defensive side of the game and when u get ur shot on the roster you have to show the defensive side of the game before u get the offensive mins . I believe Brodzinski is just in that proving stage like toffoli and pearson had to do before him. Why should I knock anything off i also call him like i see him and you and dead are trying to make it seem that way to me. I also have that right to call him like i see them ( love how that works ) My opinion is working out just fine I see improvement this year over last. It will take time to rework the roster Nothing happens over night despite your wanting it to.

Kempe is still a rookie just getting his feet wet. He does have a long way to go but he is our best rookie since kopitar imo . Lets not forget hes still not getting top mins When his defensive game comes in I'm am sure he will get top 6 mins. I agree we need to get both toffoli and pearson going at the same time and they need to show they can without Carter. However I feel they are just getting the key mins and it will take a season or two more before they are trusted with more mins. Right now stevens seems to put more faith in lewis and shore for defensive zone plays.

I disagree with ur upside call I think he will end up as a 3 lw and get 15 goal and 20 -25 assists which will be a good 3 lw energy lw.
Vilardi is the most king skilled prospect in a long time. He is playing well in the minors so far. I see him making the roster next year. He will or should be loan to team Canada next year gaining experience in big games in the jr tournament.

While i appreciate your opinion and yes its just this despite the talk like everything u post is fact i think you under estimate our ahl coaching. I believe your a long term fan like myself so i assume you also went thru the dark years like i have so i can't say i blame you for being hesitant when it comes to our pipeline coaching. This is the biggest difference between us as i see what it has become. It has been producing players and imo will be producing more in the future. I think this is where the kings need to improve and trust there ahl players with more mins off the bat. People like mersh vey weal were wasted by the kings by not playing the mins needed to be sucussful. If your put in a top 6 role in the ahl you need to be put in a top 6 role in the nhl. Putting people like amadio and brodzinski with player like clifford and andreoff hurt there development imo Also using them under 1o mins hurt them. I think they need to put the kids in and let them sink or swim Anyways on to ur next post to me i see i have 3 to answer.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Yeah, I was a rebel in the middle of the 2011-12 season as well when I was preaching patience and was one of the few still in Lombardi's corner.

I don't have an agenda. I just call'em like I see them.

There is only one over arching issue with this organization. When will senior management finally admit the window is closed? It should color every player personnel decision going forward.

Lmao the above post you quoted was not directed at you at all It was directed at dead So i find it interesting that you felt the need to defend yourself in it. Feeling guilty about something?

Any team with Quick Doughty kopitar carter as a core has a shot at the cup This team has shown it can get as hot as any team (won 8 in a row) and as cold as any as well (the 6 game losing streak) It will all depend on the last couple of weeks of the season If we go in hot I think we have as good a chance as any team. If cold we will be out fast. After the 2012 season going in 8th spot did you really think we could go all the way ? No 8th seed team has ever done it before or since. However we did While i believe you can say and post whatever you want the same goes to me So like i said to dead i look forward to the years of posting back and forth

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
You do as well. You should go back and read your own stuff, because in your posts the same "young" players are going to make great strides any day now, or next year. Maybe these guys are who they appear to be and don't have the kind of upside you promote.
Again not posted with you in mind I was referring to sol as same crap over and over but again why do u feel the need to get into a "discussion of the matters civilly" between me and dead when it had nothing to do with you ? Again you don't need to help defend him hes perfectly capable of doing it himself.
Now to your post to me. I never once said i am not guilty as well but i get to a point where i let it go. I also back it up with some sorta fact r way i would improve the situation unlike others.
As i dealt with above I will sum it up again with the Kings need to let there ahl players sink or swim at some point I think they need to mins to show what they can do Management thinks they need to bring them along slowly What can i do I know that if they are given the chances they will succeed faster but management won't do it. Look at how long it took to bring up gravel and laDue imo if they were up earlier one of them or both may have taken that next step but Blake let them develop with more mins in the ahl instead I call more more youth in the lineup have for years. It comes down to putting players in position to succeed and trying to put people like mersch with andreoff and clifford and playing him less the 10 mins a game is the perfect example of king coaching not puting someone in position to succeed. If player is a top 6 player they need at least 13 -15 mins to show what they can do. Also some pp time which mersch seem to do well with in the ahl.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Iafallo? While I admire his hustle and desire, he is actually a good energy player with not much upside. Another 24 year old prospect.

ooooh, I don't know about that. He forced his way onto our top line out of college and has had games where opponents thought he was the best player on the ice. Yeah I'm sure some of that has to do with the team and I'm not saying he's gonna be a superstar, but despite his first year struggles, I think there's a big top-six upside there, at least like Pearson. Remember hearing a lot about his shot in the preseason from coaches and Quick a like and looking forward to him unleashing that a bit more.

Some of these guys are late bloomers and not because they suck. He shows steady improvement at every level, and obviously has been given things to work on by the Kings coaches, but his track record and reports are all glowing. It sounds like you're assuming what we see is what we get because of his age and I have to disagree with you there.

Funny thing is a lot of people were not happy with the Kuemper signing (no idea why). He has been stellar all year for the Kings. One of the un-sung heroes along with Lewis. This team would be way further out of a playoff spot with Zatkoff or Campbell backing up Quick.

I'll eat crow on that one. I figured he'd be the next Zatkoff (for us). His scouting report was basically what everyone was worried about coming into the year, decent numbers but gives up backbreakers, and outside of a game or two he's been stellar. No idea why, though? The guy never had over a .915 in a backups workload and couldn't win games because of aforementioned backbreakers. It's even arguable he's gonna come back down to earth a bit, I certainly wouldn't expect him to keep a .934 all year. But he's been everything we asked and more so far, that's for sure, and I adore him in the same way I do Scrivens, even in the heat of the last game he was all smiles at every stoppage. Good counterbalance to emo-ass Quick.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I'll eat crow on that one. I figured he'd be the next Zatkoff (for us). His scouting report was basically what everyone was worried about coming into the year, decent numbers but gives up backbreakers, and outside of a game or two he's been stellar. No idea why, though? The guy never had over a .915 in a backups workload and couldn't win games because of aforementioned backbreakers. It's even arguable he's gonna come back down to earth a bit, I certainly wouldn't expect him to keep a .934 all year. But he's been everything we asked and more so far, that's for sure, and I adore him in the same way I do Scrivens, even in the heat of the last game he was all smiles at every stoppage. Good counterbalance to emo-ass Quick.

We've seen this several times, and the only thing I can think of that links guys like Kuemper, Scrivens, Budaj, etc. is Ranford. It's probably not just him, and the rest of the goalie coaches have something to do with it, but he's the one coach that should never be let go no matter how bad things get.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
ooooh, I don't know about that. He forced his way onto our top line out of college and has had games where opponents thought he was the best player on the ice. Yeah I'm sure some of that has to do with the team and I'm not saying he's gonna be a superstar, but despite his first year struggles, I think there's a big top-six upside there, at least like Pearson. Remember hearing a lot about his shot in the preseason from coaches and Quick a like and looking forward to him unleashing that a bit more.
Not to mention when coming in straight from college you don't play near as many games as in Jr's or the AHL.
So you don't only have to learn the game at a higher level you have to learn to play more games more often.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Who wouldn't? Carolina for one. If they were moving Faulk, they would work deals for guys like ROR, RNH, or Nylander. Certainly not Pearson. It would take Pearson+Vilardi to start plus probably a high draft pick to get any serious attention.
You really think Faulk will net those guys?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Voynov's rights plus Conditional 2nd rounder (based on kings making playoffs if not goes to a 3rd) plus brodz for McDonagh...I still do not htink ti would be enough, but I would love McDonagh

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yea. He's 25, in his 7th NHL season, and a co-captain of his team. He's having an off year so far this year, but his previous 4 seasons were 37, 37, 49, and 32 points. He's a 3 time All Star. He absolutely will garner that kind of return.
and isn't he signed for a few more years at a good cap hit?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You know as well as i do King prospect spend longer in the ahl then most prospects. It is a team motto to teach the defensive side of the game and when u get ur shot on the roster you have to show the defensive side of the game before u get the offensive mins . I believe Brodzinski is just in that proving stage like toffoli and pearson had to do before him. Why should I knock anything off i also call him like i see him and you and dead are trying to make it seem that way to me. I also have that right to call him like i see them ( love how that works ) My opinion is working out just fine I see improvement this year over last. It will take time to rework the roster Nothing happens over night despite your wanting it to.

Kempe is still a rookie just getting his feet wet. He does have a long way to go but he is our best rookie since kopitar imo . Lets not forget hes still not getting top mins When his defensive game comes in I'm am sure he will get top 6 mins. I agree we need to get both toffoli and pearson going at the same time and they need to show they can without Carter. However I feel they are just getting the key mins and it will take a season or two more before they are trusted with more mins. Right now stevens seems to put more faith in lewis and shore for defensive zone plays.

I disagree with ur upside call I think he will end up as a 3 lw and get 15 goal and 20 -25 assists which will be a good 3 lw energy lw.
Vilardi is the most king skilled prospect in a long time. He is playing well in the minors so far. I see him making the roster next year. He will or should be loan to team Canada next year gaining experience in big games in the jr tournament.

While i appreciate your opinion and yes its just this despite the talk like everything u post is fact i think you under estimate our ahl coaching. I believe your a long term fan like myself so i assume you also went thru the dark years like i have so i can't say i blame you for being hesitant when it comes to our pipeline coaching. This is the biggest difference between us as i see what it has become. It has been producing players and imo will be producing more in the future. I think this is where the kings need to improve and trust there ahl players with more mins off the bat. People like mersh vey weal were wasted by the kings by not playing the mins needed to be sucussful. If your put in a top 6 role in the ahl you need to be put in a top 6 role in the nhl. Putting people like amadio and brodzinski with player like clifford and andreoff hurt there development imo Also using them under 1o mins hurt them. I think they need to put the kids in and let them sink or swim Anyways on to ur next post to me i see i have 3 to answer.

Okay, since you seem to think your opinions are based in facts, let me lay some facts on you. I have bolded some of your "facts" for easy reference.

When the Kings have a prospect which is actually NHL caliber and not a tweener AHL/NHL player, the player makes it to the NHL and sticks before they are 24 years old. Examples: Trevor Lewis (23), Alec Martinez (23), Tyler Toffoli (21), Tanner Pearson (22), Adrian Kempe (21). But hey, you are banking on Brodzinski to make a big splash. I bet you thought Mersch was a lock to make it as well.

Kempe is the best rookie since Kopitar? Obviously fact based, or is it the type of hyperbole in which people wearing cracked purple-shaded glasses are likely to engage. Kings rookies since Kopitar: Jonathan Quick, Drew Doughty, Slava Voynov, Tyler Toffoli, Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez, and these are just off the top of my head.

I am going to let your statement regarding Mersch, Vey, and Weal speak for itself.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Maroon would be someone i would stay away from. Even then let's say if we're even in the running I hope they put one of our useless face punchers in the package as well as an add on

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Maroon would be someone i would stay away from. Even then let's say if we're even in the running I hope they put one of our useless face punchers in the package as well as an add on

I'd LOVE Maroon!

...for andreoff

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Okay, since you seem to think your opinions are based in facts, let me lay some facts on you. I have bolded some of your "facts" for easy reference.

When the Kings have a prospect which is actually NHL caliber and not a tweener AHL/NHL player, the player makes it to the NHL and sticks before they are 24 years old. Examples: Trevor Lewis (23), Alec Martinez (23), Tyler Toffoli (21), Tanner Pearson (22), Adrian Kempe (21). But hey, you are banking on Brodzinski to make a big splash. I bet you thought Mersch was a lock to make it as well.

Kempe is the best rookie since Kopitar? Obviously fact based, or is it the type of hyperbole in which people wearing cracked purple-shaded glasses are likely to engage. Kings rookies since Kopitar: Jonathan Quick, Drew Doughty, Slava Voynov, Tyler Toffoli, Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez, and these are just off the top of my head.

I am going to let your statement regarding Mersch, Vey, and Weal speak for itself.

First off let me say i ment Kempe was our best forward rookie not meaning defense man I will stick by him being better then toffoli and pearson Since we won the cups I can't think of a rookie that broke in early Even 21 is longer then most clubs bring there rookies in Lots of 20 and under players around the league getting there cups of coffees.

So yes I stand by my statement that the kings bring in players later then most teams. Nice personal attack on the purple shades well worded it should pass the mods test well done. I am not banking on Brodzinski to make a big splash. I defy u to show me when i said this. i am expecting him to make more of a impact in time. Go to the next level means playing full time and showing some of the skill he displayed in the ahl. Yes i did like mersch and i will say he was misused when he was up and needs to play the mins he got in ahl to show what he can do Unless u feel under 10 mins a game with clifford and andreoff as line mate is a legitimate chance then i would question your ability to know what giving a chance is.

Again if u think that Vey Weal and Mersch had a decent chance i question your thinking on what a decent chance is

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Just thinking out loud but if the Kings do decide to blow it up (I think Doughty’s decision will play a big part in this) the team does have several pieces that should be able to get good returns. Doughty, Carter, Muzzin, Toffoli, Pearson, Martinez could all bring some value back

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
IMG_1120.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad