2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
LaDue and Brodzinski are nothing prospects. And there wouldn't have been many people who expected Vilardi to be available at the Kings pick. So a black hole pick and 2 meh prospects for a top line 25 year old winger. Sign me up everyday.
I disagree with the nothing prospects wording. They are young roster player with some upside Weather you like it or not they are the most nhl ready of our prospects and have nothing more to prove in the ahl. In order for them to take the next step aka starting playing in the nhl regularly they need to be given that opportunity and i believe when they get a honest chance to play then mins they should get they will succeed However right now they are not given the chance they need. As far as the pick goes the kings were a lotto team and should not have traded that pick period No matter what there would have been a good young player there at our pick Hell i would have been just as thrilled to get any of the following picked after Vilardi Foote Suzuki Liljegren, or poehling There was going to be a good young nhl player with any of the lotto picks So its not a black hole pick it was a great chance for some skilled youth for the future. As for the prospects both are on the roster as of now playing small roles earning there place in the nhl

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I disagree with the nothing prospects wording. They are young roster player with some upside Weather you like it or not they are the most nhl ready of our prospects and have nothing more to prove in the ahl. In order for them to take the next step aka starting playing in the nhl regularly they need to be given that opportunity and i believe when they get a honest chance to play then mins they should get they will succeed However right now they are not given the chance they need. As far as the pick goes the kings were a lotto team and should not have traded that pick period No matter what there would have been a good young player there at our pick Hell i would have been just as thrilled to get any of the following picked after Vilardi Foote Suzuki Liljegren, or poehling There was going to be a good young nhl player with any of the lotto picks So its not a black hole pick it was a great chance for some skilled youth for the future. As for the prospects both are on the roster as of now playing small roles earning there place in the nhl
We're going to go around in circles. LaDue and Brodzinski are not young by NHL standards. They're young for the Kings roster when compared to the vets but they're not young. Anything outside of the top 10 is black hole in my opinion.

Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
We're going to go around in circles. LaDue and Brodzinski are not young by NHL standards. They're young for the Kings roster when compared to the vets but they're not young. Anything outside of the top 10 is black hole in my opinion.
You're never going to get some to understand that simply because these guys are the Kings best prospects, they are not among the best prospects in the NHL. The best prospects in the NHL are 4-5 years younger than our best prospects.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
You're never going to get some to understand that simply because these guys are the Kings best prospects, they are not among the best prospects in the NHL. The best prospects in the NHL are 4-5 years younger than our best prospects.

In general, most NHL players reach their peaks/primes before 25YO... The Great, Super Mario, Sid the Kid, etc..
Its a young man league and always will be! more so than any other sport....

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
In general, most NHL players reach their peaks/primes before 25YO... The Great, Super Mario, Sid the Kid, etc..
Its a young man league and always will be! more so than any other sport....
True, and they generally maintain their peak play for at least 5 seasons. The great ones even longer.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Fair enough they are older player however they are on elc contracts which the kings need to balance out all the higher paid vets. They have upside to player higher up in the lineup LaDue has shown he can play top pairing in the ahl that should translate into a top 4 spot in time even if its just every couple of games in a rotation I think he has a higher upside then forbort gravel folin flattenberg McDermid but he needs to play to show it. I personally think and been saying that the kings need to trust the development that the players have been playing in the ahl and use them in similar position in nhl Using LaDue as a bottom pairing defense man isn't ideal He need to play at least 16 -18 min any lower and imo its not giving him a fair shot.

In some drafts your black hole theory applies however this was not one of them This was a deep draft the top 25 ish should be quality players imo

Jul 31, 2005
CA
If teams were chomping at the bit to get LaDue and Brodzinski they would most likely have been traded. The Kings have a lot of players on the roster where Blake would have to sweeten the pot to get other NHL teams to accept them.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
ELC, Elite, Depth... Type prospects
Gabe Vilardi
Michael Amadio
Kale Clague
Cal Petersen
Adrian Kempe
J. Anderson-Dolan
And a few others, whereas the older prospects we have are their to immediately fill lower end spots..,
Derek Forbort
Kevin Gravel
Paul LaDue
Alex Iafallo
Jack Campbell
Oscar Fantenberg

Although these guys have pretty much peaked, you holdout hope that they can improve enough to fill important rolls.. Forbort did last season, although he has regressed this season.. My point is guys in that second tier can obviously help the Kings but those in those top tiers and the ones that could have a long term impact

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Maybe he was house shopping :sarcasm:

IMG_1114.GIF

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
LaDue is ok age wise since Dmen usually have a later peak, but forwards don’t really get that much better the once they’re past 25 unless they’re name is Trevor Lewis. But who knows maybe maybe Brodz will be a late bloomer. I don’t see it but who knows.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
And just becauase a team was interested in a prospect a full calendar year ago, doesn’t mean they garner the same interest now.
That's fair,and at the same time they're just opinions we've and we're not involved on the discussions going on between other clubs GM's and Blake on Kings assets and their desire to obtain them.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I don't think Blake is looking to add someone who has basically been soured on by two different sets of teammates. For everyone who is old enough to remember, this guy looks like he is the new Dmitri Khristich with how much teammates hate him.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I would be so shocked if he signed the first day.
From a business standpoint it would be a very dumb choice. Unless the team was offering to make him the highest paid player in the league.

Yep, and there's no rush either. I'm sure the talks will be very detailed seeing how Meehan is involved.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Obviously signing Doughty will be a priority for the Kings. I think Blake needs to assess the point in time where Doughty's trade value will be at its highest after July 1, then if the deal isn't done by then start looking for a deal.

I hope they don't screw around with Meehan all the way up to the deadline next season.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Obviously signing Doughty will be a priority for the Kings. I think Blake needs to assess the point in time where Doughty's trade value will be at its highest after July 1, then if the deal isn't done by then start looking for a deal.

I hope they don't screw around with Meehan all the way up to the deadline next season.
Kopitar didn't sign until January. I'd really hope it doesn't go that long but it could.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Doughty isn't signing a moment before he wants to. He's in the driver's seat on this. He's the exceptional talent. It only makes sense for him to keep the Kings hanging in suspense as long as possible. He's going to get his giant contract one way or another, and no reason to take the Kings out of the potential bidding mix.

He's not going anywhere at this deadline, or this next draft, or July 1st. The earliest he'll get traded is the 2019 deadline, and only if the Kings aren't in the race.

If the cap goes up again, Doughty can get a couple extra pennies in his deal. He's not signing until he gets every dollar he can. It's going to be at least the 2nd half of next year when he does. Most likely just how Stamkos played out. All the way to July 1st, he'll talk to other teams, and probably re-sign for the most money. He could also walk. I'm guessing nothing will happen until at least the 2019 deadline though.

We'll talk about all the potential deals that could or should be made. How the Kings must choose as early as possible. Which is all fine and good, but that's not how these things go. They drag on, and on, and on. The Kings need to keep selling tickets. Reporters need something to talk about. Toronto needs to think they'll finally get one of their good Canadian boys to come home.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I'm probably in the minority but I wouldn't mind Blake claiming Jagr. Adds depth and we can waive Andreoff.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Kempe-Toffoli
Gaborik-Shore-Jagr
Clifford-Mitchell-Lewis

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I'm probably in the minority but I wouldn't mind Blake claiming Jagr. Adds depth and we can waive Andreoff.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Kempe-Toffoli
Gaborik-Shore-Jagr
Clifford-Mitchell-Lewis
nope i agree and this would also allow us to move toffoli down a line when he isn't playing well I would also love to see what him and Kopitar would be like together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad