2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Malkin wasn't 23 when he signed his last contract. He was in his late 20s, and that was his third contract with the Penguins.
Penguins sign Malkin to 8-year extension

There were talks and suggestions and supposed rumors of the Penguins having to move Malkin around that time and even after the extension.

Penguins GM shoots down Malkin trade rumors

I guess they should have listened to popular opinion rather than hanging on to one of their core pieces... after all, what good did it do for the Penguins?

Fair enough, you mentioned 2009 and implied in your original post if the Pens should have done something to move Malkin in the dry years subsequent to 2009. The answer is, of course not. Malkin is a generational talent. He has never failed to score close to 30 goals and a PPG.

...and once again, big difference between Crosby or Malkin, and Anze Kopitar.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Just when you thought it was over.....

The Voynov rumors have resurfaced. They state that he indeed intends to apply for reinstatement!
Any thoughts??? I would love to have his rights in order to trade him for another piece..
Basically my thoughts too

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The one thing I want to see in the next CBA is different cap limits for each team based on local income tax laws. A place that has no state tax essentially has 30% more cap space to work with. Correct me if I am wrong but is Tampa not one of these places? So even though Stamkos cap hit is less than Kopitar the amount he takes home is equivalent.

This is a want. My main want out of the next CBA is zero lost games

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
At some point in every negotiation it becomes take it or leave it.

But certainly not at the start of negotiating, and especially not with a threat. It was more like a "sign this or we get rid of you" threat versus a "take it or leave it." It also made the organization look amateurish when they backtracked and came back with a better offer later on.

Given the pride these athletes have and how often they play hurt and sacrifice their bodies... it's probably not wise to insult your star defenseman with a threat to trade him at the start of negotiations. That would be a foolish and stupid thing to do.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
But certainly not at the start of negotiating, and especially not with a threat. It was more like a "sign this or we get rid of you" threat versus a "take it or leave it." It also made the organization look amateurish when they backtracked and came back with a better offer later on.

Given the pride these athletes have and how often they play hurt and sacrifice their bodies... it's probably not wise to insult your star defenseman with a threat to trade him at the start of negotiations. That would be a foolish and stupid thing to do.

I don't think that was the Kings opening gambit in the Rob Blake negotiations, do you?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Fair enough, you mentioned 2009 and implied in your original post if the Pens should have done something to move Malkin in 2009. The answer is, of course not.

I was using the timeframe between 2009 and 2016 as an example of what the Penguins (and Malkin) in particular went through, with the lulls, change in management and coaching, and a new coach who injected a new philosophy and brought in some fresh blood to the lineup.

There was a seven year stretch of failure for the Penguins, although at the very least they never managed to miss the playoffs during that time. The same can't be said about the Kings...

Anyhow, they bounced back because they were finally able to bring up some players from within and had a GM who brought in players with the potential to play better, like Justin Schultz.

The dry spell in player development, the player turnover, the lack of quality players coming up... those are things that have been more harmful to the Kings than anything.

Reactions: King'sPawn

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Fair enough, you mentioned 2009 and implied in your original post if the Pens should have done something to move Malkin in the dry years subsequent to 2009. The answer is, of course not. Malkin is a generational talent. He has never failed to score close to 30 goals and a PPG.

There's really not a huge difference between Malkin and Kopitar, unless you think scoring is the end all be all of a player's value. Malkin will always be considered better, but it's not a huge chasm.

The problems the Penguins went through are ROUGHLY similar to what the Kings find themselves in now, which is that what should be a contending playoff squad is woefully under performing, but the Pens were able to win a few playoff games and get close at least, whereas the Kings have TANKED the last 3 years. So that does lend credence to your, "All hope of contention soon is lost" point. But still, the Pens stuck with their core and did eventually pull it around, so there is still that to consider ultimately.

Personally, I think a successful retool is still very unlikely; not until we see some big moves or prospects pan out better than they have so far. But I ALSO still think that going full rebuild rather than sign Kopitar would have been a bad move. Even though I think it's unlikely at this current stage, I do still think it's possible to retool in a few years with the right deals, drafting, and development.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't think that was the Kings opening gambit in the Rob Blake negotiations, do you?

It was, believe it or not.

Los Angeles Kings Notes for September
Blake relinquished the captain position about a week ago after being given what was reported to be an ultimatum by the team to accept a reported $7.5 million per year contract.

Blake told Fox that he re-considered the captain's position because he felt that he was taking the business side of things too personally.

Blake Says Trade Will Not Be Easy for Kings
The specter of a trade has hung over him since training camp, when he spurned a Kings' "best, final" deal of about $21.5 million for three seasons. At that time, he resigned his captaincy, saying it didn't make sense to lead a team he might be leaving during the season. He reconsidered when Coach Andy Murray left the job open and Blake realized that he was the King captain whether he wore the "C" or not.

The ultimatum was issued by Tim Leiweke and Kevin Gilmore. The same two buffoons who thought that Luc deserved a pay cut after he led the team in scoring.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Yep, the Kings really bungled it from the start, but relinquishing the "C" was ridiculous unless he was going to not even report to the team.

Regardless, much like me breaking into credit administration in the midst of the financial crisis, he should have a great understanding of what not to do when it comes to handling Doughty. As I said earlier, there would be no other player in Kings history to understand the situation better than Blake, although Doughty is a bit different since he already has two Cups and he won them here.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
how can you compare any of these signings when different tax rates equals different levels, like someone earlier said 8.5 in florida = 10ish here and in Canada ?, unsure what their levels are but with healthcare I would think its high there.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
how can you compare any of these signings when different tax rates equals different levels, like someone earlier said 8.5 in florida = 10ish here and in Canada ?, unsure what their levels are but with healthcare I would think its high there.
Well, they don't give teams in California a break on the cap hit just because we have insanely high state income tax rates.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If for some reason Voynov actually makes it back to the Kings next year, the Kings instantly get close to contending again. It'd truly be a godsend considering how f***ed we got by Richards, and him. Even Mitchell who was never healthy afterwards.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I've always said that about the timeline with Voynov. Next season at the earliest if at all.

I've got a few links bookmarked with the timeline and a number of immigration attorneys state there is no way to speed it up.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Oh no...its happening lol.
Nah, the Kings are going to hang onto Carter until they miss or exit in the 1st round of the playoffs again, then he gets injured again at some point and has little to no value in the trade market.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Who thought the Kings would be 26-18-5 after 49 games? So, is the team overachieving? But, it feels like we're underachieving. Is there something worse than the "black hole"?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
From those tweets it seems like Carter will probably be back before Valentines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad