2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
with iafallo emerging and being cheaper I believe you may be right with this idea.

I don't know, I think both are needed. Iafallo is not a 2nd liner yet, if he ever will be, while Pearson is. Remember, Pearson is only a year older and has tallied 130 points in the NHL. Both have about the same room for growth. Pearson is having a bit of an off year, but he's pretty much a 20+ goal 40+ point guy that could hit 50 points in a career year. That's pretty good value for a cap hit under $4M.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I don't know, I think both are needed. Iafallo is not a 2nd liner yet, if he ever will be, while Pearson is. Remember, Pearson is only a year older and has tallied 130 points in the NHL. Both have about the same room for growth. Pearson is having a bit of an off year, but he's pretty much a 20+ goal 40+ point guy that could hit 50 points in a career year. That's pretty good value for a cap hit under $4M.
With us stuck with Gaborik who is not playing well when hes in the bottom 6 leaves us with the choice of Iafallo or Pearson to play the other top 6 spot. Iafallo is a lot cheaper and has chemistry with Kopitar and Brown. Pearson has been off this year without Carter. There would have to be 2 moves imo First a trade for a top 4 defense man with term for Pearson (someone like Edler would be perfect) and then another trade for lw like Maroon (Oiler fans have agreed to Mersch and a 2nd for him)

Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Unfortunately I don't see theres enough room under the cap to keep Pearson and Toffoli.Plus Kings need assets to trade for roster needs and cap space.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Unfortunately I don't see theres enough room under the cap to keep Pearson and Toffoli.Plus Kings need assets to trade for roster needs.

I don't see how the cap will be a problem. Revenues are way up this year according to Bettman, and if that's true the cap will likely hit 80M. Even at $75M, the Kings have close to $7M in cap space with no significant RFA's needing raises. Here's who needs contracts:

Mitchell (UFA)
Shore (RFA)
Ladue (RFA)
Gravel (RFA)
Folin (UFA)
Kuemper (UFA)

The next year the only significant player is Drew. AA is a UFA and you have a bunch of RFA's coming off ELC's. The Kings are actually in really good cap shape, as long as Brown and Gaborik play solidly. Not only can they re-up DD, but they will have space to bring in a significant player if they choose.

Even if you have to make a move, you don't get rid of a guy who's giving you a good return for your investment, you get rid of guys that aren't pulling their weight. Pearson has been fine.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
...they are gonna scratch Gabby first game back ? That's interesting...and dumb.

Hes been doing poor but this is where teams historically pick up. Oof. Don't like thist

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If Gabby can’t play top six then trade him (I know) or buy him out.

He's been struggling lately, but he's still on a pace for 42 points over a season. Not great, but not terrible either. We all know he's streaky.

Could just be trying to get him an extended rest since he didn't have camp, if he doesn't play until Thursday that's like a full 8 days.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Problem with buying him out is the cap hit spikes to 3 million for a couple seasons down the road, which coincide with the first two years of Doughty’s extension. We dont have anymore leeway for that much dead cap. Trading for a bigger, but more useful, contract, or dumping Gaborik with retention, would both be better than a straight buyout.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
He's been struggling lately, but he's still on a pace for 42 points over a season. Not great, but not terrible either. We all know he's streaky.

Could just be trying to get him an extended rest since he didn't have camp, if he doesn't play until Thursday that's like a full 8 days.
On pace for but not likely to hit. And if his past 2 seasons are any indication of his potential performance the rest of the season he wont put up more than 20 odd points.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yep sign me up for the same deal. Gaborik and Mersch for Phaneuf and 2 million retained?

I think it’s more likely we take Lewis or Clifford from you guys. That is if you guys are interested in that. I wouldn’t mind throwing in a player like Nick Paul or maybe a decent prospect.

Herby

Thank You, Team 144
Feb 27, 2002
Wisconsin
The best thing for the Kings is hope that Gabby can have some value as a 4th line/ PP type guy who can fill in when there are injuries to top six wingers. He can still show flashes and have effective games but there are just to many nights where he is completely invisible to justify him having a larger role than that.

Or just hope he retires, which could also be possible but that's a good chunk of change Gaborik would be passing up on.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Definitely not Lewis. He's got a lot of value if the Kings decided to trade him. I'd do Clifford.

Phaneuf to old,bad contract and not a top 4 defensemen no matter how many times people try to pretend he is.Kings need a long term young top 4 player.Rather have Clifford unless Senators sweeten the pot.Cause all you're doing is trading on bad contract with another contract and it's not worth it.Kings need to trade Gabs contract for a true quality top 4 defensemen and add if Kings need to for a long term solution.Kings need to simply get younger overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: go4hockey

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Maybe being allergic to hockey gear all of a sudden in your late 30s is an Eastern European thing and not just a Hossa thing?

Really though, you could argue that Toffoli and Pearson should retire or be bought out the way they have looked lately as well. How many goals does Brown have over the last while here?

I think he can still hit 15 goals this season, which isn't bad considering the time missed. The problem is if he isn't scoring, he's completely worthless.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Phaneuf to old,bad contract and not a top 4 defensemen no matter how many times people try to pretend he is.Kings need a long term young top 4 player.Rather have Clifford unless Senators sweeten the pot.Cause all you're doing is trading on bad contract with another contract and it's not worth it.Kings need to trade Gabs contract for a true quality top 4 defensemen and add if Kings need to for a long term solution.Kings

Trading Gaborik for a quality player is easier said than done. That’s a bad contract. Not many teams are going to want him unless they send a bad contract back.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Trading Gaborik for a quality player is easier said than done. That’s a bad contract. Not many teams are going to want him unless they send a bad contract back.

Gabs would be sent in a deal for cap reasons and a sweeter would apply to take Gabs in a package for a top 4 defensemen.To take Phaneuf is repeating the same mistake Kings made by extending Gabs.

Reactions: go4hockey

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Gabby will be lucky to hit 30 points.

I love Gabby but he is done.

Been done for a few seasons now.

I hate to play I told you so, but some of us were recommending caution before Gaborik’s big return.

Guy obviously has all the talent in the world, but his body has been through the ringer, and he’s just not capable of producing over long stretches of time. There was a reason we got him for peanuts in 2014. And that was 4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad