2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Still, on a team whose depth lacks a lot of skill, it's a nice luxury to have a guy like Gaborik who can produce offense out of nothing playing down the lineup. I know he's almost always a gamble, and obviously at this stage in his career consistency is a big issue, but we need everyone, including Gaborik, playing well to make noise anyway. When he's on, that third line is a mismatch for almost any team in the league. When he's not, yeah, he's a liability, but one that keeps people honest since he's not just gonna dump it from the red line. I think he brings a useful element despite being on the downside. I'm not at all saying I want him to ride out his contract in full here or anything, but he's actually--and hilariously--put up production numbers similar to guys the trade board keeps trying to peddle on us.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
On pace for but not likely to hit. And if his past 2 seasons are any indication of his potential performance the rest of the season he wont put up more than 20 odd points.

The problem for Gaborik is he will never get the games in to hit those numbers more than his ability. He's streaky and can still play when he's rested and healthy, so he isn't a completely useless player. It wouldn't surprise me if he hit 30 points this year just like it wouldn't surprise me if he had to shut it down due to injury.

It would be nice to get out from under the contract, but it would take a pretty specific situation for any kind of trade.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Gabby was supposed to be that winger LA always is in need of.

Most nights he is invisible. He is scratched for AA. That is pretty telling for a team always struggling to score.

It would be a blessing if he retires. I would trade him for Phanuef at this point. At least Dion is serviceable.

How many more years of the same play is left on Gabby’s contract?

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

Most nights he is invisible. He is scratched for AA. That is pretty telling for a team always struggling to score.

It would be a blessing if he retires. I would trade him for Phanuef at this point. At least Dion is serviceable.

Andreoff is Stevens Coaches pet as King was to Sutter.So you want to trade Gabs for Phanuef?Kings would be just repeating the same mistake with Phanuef as Gabby.No thanks.Phanuef is a bottom defensemen not what we need.We've plenty of bottom defensemen. Team needs to get younger not remain the same.I too support just keeping Gabs and using him as a bottom 6 player unti he either retired or his contract runs out if we can't get a common sense trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: go4hockey

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

...and he was, in the 2014 playoffs.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Phanuef is a serviceable 4-5 vet with some snarl. If the money is going to get allocated all the same, might as put it in an area of need.

Not that Ottawa would make that trade, which is telling about Gabby’s likely value.

Reactions: lumbergh

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
And in 2015 when he potted 27 goals but everyone else **** the bed.
That’s great, he can’t stay healthy now and is deemed by coaches to be a utility up and down the line up player. Not utilizing him fully in a scoring role does no one any good. Or is he just not that player anymore?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
That’s great, he can’t stay healthy now and is deemed by coaches to be a utility up and down the line up player. Not utilizing him fully in a scoring role does no one any good. Or is he just not that player anymore?
I don't think Gaborik has been that player for a couple of seasons. Sure he can still snipe and bring the crowd out of their seats once in a while, but he can't produce consistently.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Gabby is what he is, I just hate seeing him with Shore and Clifford. Maybe a line with Kempe-Vilardi/Amadio could become a scoring threat. Maybe Carter's return will be enough to align the lines.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Yeah, he's not the 2015 Gaborik but I wasn't trying to say he is. I know everyone wants to forget the 2015 season, but it is overlooked on here pretty consistently that he was mostly healthy in 2015 and he put in 27 goals during the first year of his contract. Was starting to look better in 2016 when he got the knee injury and its been all downhill since.

I do agree that he needs to play with other offensive talent to be effective.

Reactions: LAKings88

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Gaborik would be a luxury that could be plugged in here and there if Iafallo didn't have just 4 goals. 2 in his last 4 games, but still just the 4 total. Almost twice as many games, and almost half the total goals, as Gaborik. Nobody is a luxury on this roster right now.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Having Gaborik (and his cap hit) on or off this team really does not make us better or worse. He is just an option we have, and hopefully he goes on a good streak leading into the playoffs. For example, if by some miracle we traded Gaborik for future considerations and his cap hit was off the books, how would we use the cap hit? UFAs don't want to sign here, and even if they did, you have to massively overpay to get a dynamic UFA (e.g., Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson). We should just ride out his contract, continue keeping our picks and drafting well, and hope the new blood get the job done.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Having Gaborik (and his cap hit) on or off this team really does not make us better or worse. He is just an option we have, and hopefully he goes on a good streak leading into the playoffs. For example, if by some miracle we traded Gaborik for future considerations and his cap hit was off the books, how would we use the cap hit? UFAs don't want to sign here, and even if they did, you have to massively overpay to get a dynamic UFA (e.g., Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson). We should just ride out his contract, continue keeping our picks and drafting well, and hope the new blood get the job done.
Maybe not top free agent but a decent one nonetheless. I’d take the chance. It’s all moot anyway. Kings are stuck with Gabby.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Gaborik would be a luxury that could be plugged in here and there if Iafallo didn't have just 4 goals. 2 in his last 4 games, but still just the 4 total. Almost twice as many games, and almost half the total goals, as Gaborik. Nobody is a luxury on this roster right now.
I think Iaffolo is a building block for this team. I do think he’ll find a scoring touch. He’ll never be Gabby in his prime tho.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Ownership will not just ride out this,they've Quick,Kopi and Doughty I believe will indeed resign long term and Carter being paid and extended long term.The picks will be used imo for filling needs on this roster.If the org was going to ride this out they be selling for example Carter,Muzzin,Martinez,Clifford,andKuemper for prospects and picks.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Phanuef is a serviceable 4-5 vet with some snarl. If the money is going to get allocated all the same, might as put it in an area of need.

Not that Ottawa would make that trade, which is telling about Gabby’s likely value.

Don’t be so sure about Ottawa not doing that deal. The only way to get rid of Phaneuf is to take back a bad contract or retain money. Ottawa doesn’t like doing the latter.

I’d prefer to do Phaneuf for Gaborik one for one, because it does save Ottawa a bit of money going forward, but I’d be willing to add a bit or take another guy like Clifford to help offset the cost.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That makes some sense. I was thinking you meant instead of. If this deal went down we would need to address some toughness as we are getting pretty soft. Either way I hope not I’m just not a fan of Dion.

Neither am I haha. No, he’s not that bad actually, it’s his contract. He played well in the playoffs last year. He’s slow as hell and turns 33 soon. He’s under contract until he’s 36, so he’ll just get slower as time goes on.

Reactions: go4hockey

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

He’s surely not that player anymore. He’s a up n down the lineup guy, but mostly a 3rd line with some pp time perhaps. Then you just hope he hits a hot string at a good time of the season for you.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
That's awesome if AI finds a scoring touch, but he is a Trevor Lewis to me.

Again, that is not an insult. Hopefully he finds his scoring "touch" sooner than it has taken Lewis to find his. Just think 20 goals would be a bit surprising to me for AI. Not impossible, but surprising.

Great 3rd line guy on a deep team.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
That's awesome if AI finds a scoring touch, but he is a Trevor Lewis to me.

Again, that is not an insult. Hopefully he finds his scoring "touch" sooner than it has taken Lewis to find his. Just think 20 goals would be a bit surprising to me for AI. Not impossible, but surprising.

Great 3rd line guy on a deep team.
AI hands are so much better than Lewis’s tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad