2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Is tough not to see the league suspend him once he returns; however, he might already have the longest suspension in NHL history under his hat to begin with. Would they keep it at time served?

Doesn't matter if hockey is popular in Hollywood, Twitter will have a fit if he is reinstated and he will be a PR nightmare for whatever team tries to roster him. This is why the league will probably suspend him even further so they look "good"; however, I feel the NHLPA would have something to say at that point since he has already been suspended for like 70 games.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
IMG_1149.JPG
Anyone remember Defenseman Steve Durbano?He was always getting into bar fights during his playing days, and in 1983 he was charged after trying to smuggle half a million dollars’ worth of cocaine into Canada.Oh it gets better,in 1998 he was arrested for running a prostitution ring. Durbano met with what turned out to be an undercover officer to discuss details of the services. Durbano’s drinking eventually got the best of him, and he died in 2002 of liver failure.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
And only two of them was actually convicted of anything. It was another no contest plea. And the last one of those was in 2010.
I just don't understand how many here can't get how much things have changed. And then add in the fact he isn't a citizen, which complicates things much more.
The ie law was different then,deals were made under the table by the DA and payoffs to victims as well.This is a much different age with DA and athletes.You got to believe the paying off victims is still a thing tho.The age of the internet cant keep things under the table.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
if the sharks lose in regulation tonight, the kings will be 2nd in the pacific. The kings were 11th in the conference at the break and just 1 game later, would be 2nd in the pacific.

Standings are tight.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
High school tennis is covered more in the paper here in Los Angeles than the Kings. If Voynov came back, it would be a small column buried in the sports section, and forgotten about in a couple of days. I highly doubt tickets sales for Kings games will decline if Voynov comes back or that there will be massive protests. Also, the Kings in general are not talked about or covered in the NHL as closely as they do with the Leafs, Habs, Pittsburgh etc.

In addition, he can do the typical PR stunt where he says he saw a therapist and he and his wife worked things out, he is a changed man, and he can contribute to some charity that supports domestic violence victims and look like a hero. There is no reason why Voynov should not return if Blake can get through all the hoops.

Reactions: KingTrouty

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
High school tennis is covered more in the paper here in Los Angeles than the Kings. If Voynov came back, it would be a small column buried in the sports section, and forgotten about in a couple of days. I highly doubt tickets sales for Kings games will decline if Voynov comes back or that there will be massive protests. Also, the Kings in general are not talked about or covered in the NHL as closely as they do with the Leafs, Habs, Pittsburgh etc.

Yet he was suspended indefinitely upon being arrested and before being found guilty of anything.

The league is not fond of him whatsoever to the point they wouldn't allow him to take part in the World Cup, never mind suit up for actual NHL games.

Also, all it takes is for the right group to blow the Kings up on social media to make his return into a "thing".

This isn't a "no big deal". The NHL made it a big deal when it happened and I don't see them relenting on it.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Yet he was suspended indefinitely upon being arrested and before being found guilty of anything.

The league is not fond of him whatsoever to the point they wouldn't allow him to take part in the World Cup, never mind suit up for actual NHL games.

Also, all it takes is for the right group to blow the Kings up on social media to make his return into a "thing".

This isn't a "no big deal". The NHL made it a big deal when it happened and I don't see them relenting on it.

That's a different issue, i.e., what type of punishment the NHL will levy. If Voynov has to miss half a season because of a suspension, I still think its worth bringing him back. We can play the younger defensemen, e.g., Gravel, Forbort, LaDue etc., until he is out of his suspension. The fact remains that the Kings cannot acquire a defenseman like Voynov via trade or free agency. All options should be explored to bringing him back, even if he has to serve a suspension.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
There is also the issue of if he will still be Kings property by the time he returns (if). His contract ends soon and by the time the suspension and paperwork are done he may be a UFA.
And will he still be the player we remember?

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Because he was a declining player and not worth the trouble. Greg Hardy was signed by the Cowboys (and destroyed the lockerroom because he openly bragged about how he beat is girlfriend and got away with it). That Oklahoma college football player that had a video come out that was just as bad as Ray Rice's was drafted in last year's draft. And there's a few baseball guys that were arrested that are still playing.

Personally, I don't want Voynov back. In my opinion he already got his second chance being able to make millions in Russia. I don't think he deserves another with the Kings. He can go play on another team if he makes it back.

That’s the first I’ve ever heard of Hardy bragging to his teammates about hitting Holder, Sox. He maintained his innocence up until he was cut. Still does, last I heard. He was cut because his production dropped significantly after he made the comments (on Twitter) about Gisselle before the Pats game (media went nuts), days after that, Holder released pics of her bruised body — media goes nuts (again), he went cray cray on Dallas’ special teams coach, showed up late to meetings. After all of that, no one wanted him. A premium 4-3 RDE.

He was a leader while he was in Dallas (among his fellow DL), just had a chaotic life - being scrutinized in the NFL’s most popular team. His production halted after a fantastic start.

Joe Mixon is the RB just drafted by the Bengals that was caught on tape 1hko that woman. Since it happened before he was drafted, he was not held to the rules of the NFL and CBA. Zeke Elliot, on the other hand, was suspended for DV (6 games) after a long court case/litigation with NFL.

If we can get Voynov back, a top 4 RHD, we will be so damn fortunate. As long as he ain’t breaking the law, can immensely upgrade our team, wants to play in LA, it’s a no brainer, IMO.

This isn’t a Hardy/Dallas situation. Not close. Not even a Mixon/Cincinnati dealio, and that ended quietly. The media reaction should have nothing to do with whether or not we bring him back.

*The NFL doesn’t count commissioners exempt list as official suspension, @BigKing. Hardy, AP, and some others had to serve their suspensions after returning from up to a year away from the league (due to CBA/their legal fight). I doubt the NHL will count any of the time Voynov was gone for as credit towards his suspension. Even the time he missed when he was still with us pending charges filed by DA

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What are the chances the Kings bring in a top 4 guy before the deadline?

Phaneuf for Gaborik and Mitchell would mean you guys only add something like 625k in salary for the rest of the year.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
View attachment 95071 Anyone remember Defenseman Steve Durbano?He was always getting into bar fights during his playing days, and in 1983 he was charged after trying to smuggle half a million dollars’ worth of cocaine into Canada.Oh it gets better,in 1998 he was arrested for running a prostitution ring. Durbano met with what turned out to be an undercover officer to discuss details of the services. Durbano’s drinking eventually got the best of him, and he died in 2002 of liver failure.

Not sure what your point is with this? In 1987 you could call someone a Homophobic Slur in a movie without blinking an eye:

What'd you say, Homophobic Slur? What'd you say?

Times change. How well do you think that would go over today? Also I've recently seen a lot of "Oh hey it just their culture over there..." What in the sandwich f***???

"They just molest children in their culture, it what they do."
"Oh, guess that means it's understandable then..."

:loony:

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Not sure what your point is with this? In 1987 you could call someone a ****** in a movie without blinking an eye:

What'd you say, ******? What'd you say?

Times change. How well do you think that would go over today? Also I've recently seen a lot of "Oh hey it just their culture over there..." What in the sandwich ****???

I promise you whatever word you censored is still used in movies "without blinking an eye."

Do you really think it's fair to compare child molestation with Voynov's crime? Can I compare a DUI of a rival team's star player to that of committing murder over a hand of cards in the 1880's West?

Times change, yes. Societies progress as they age. And an NHL player should still be allowed to play hockey after a DV plea.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not sure what your point is with this? In 1987 you could call someone a ****** in a movie without blinking an eye:

What'd you say, ******? What'd you say?

Times change. How well do you think that would go over today? Also I've recently seen a lot of "Oh hey it just their culture over there..." What in the sandwich ****???

"My name's Horace!"

Reactions: Bandit

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think we recognize times are different.

Let's not turn the Voynov situation into political or social commentary any more than necessary, please. Especially given there's not really any new info. It's a tough line, I understand, but I think analyzing cultures, countries, and sports from the 1980s until now is a scope not worth examination on this board.

Also continue to respect differing opinions as all of those aforementioned influences and personal experiences are going to color poster reactions differently (though everyone's been fantastic about that so far--just saying keep it up).

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Is tough not to see the league suspend him once he returns; however, he might already have the longest suspension in NHL history under his hat to begin with. Would they keep it at time served?

Doesn't matter if hockey is popular in Hollywood, Twitter will have a fit if he is reinstated and he will be a PR nightmare for whatever team tries to roster him. This is why the league will probably suspend him even further so they look "good"; however, I feel the NHLPA would have something to say at that point since he has already been suspended for like 70 games.

This would be the Kings argument should they try to help Voynov return. He was suspended by the Kings without pay for injuring himself in the domestic violence incident. I don't remember all of the details regarding pay or no pay after the injury healed.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad